2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

4 wedges or a driving iron ?

Devildawg67

Low digit handicap here 

I’ve always carried a pretty traditional bag set up.Current sack is Hybrid as the 2 with 3 iron on down to PW,52 gap with a 58 sand wedge 

I’ve been playing around with a low bounce 60 with a high bounce 56.I’m pulling the trigger on new PXG irons but I’m struggling with dropping the 3 iron for keeping the gap wedge ? I feel like having a driving iron at the top of my bag over a gap wedge would be more useful over the course of time and different rounds different course 

but…I’ll end up with a huge gap between the new lofts on a PW up to my 56 

for me hitting 3/4 PWs just feels like a easy trade off for having a driving iron at the top of the bag 

• Like 2

It’s a personal preference and everyone has there own game with strength and weakness 

I just don’t feel like I have the time to dedicate to hitting 4 different wedges all different lofts and bounce…at least not enough to be precise 

if I go with the 3 wedges I’ll have roughly a 25-30 yard gap between the 56 and PW 

for me I just feel like my practice time spent on 3/4 wedge shots vs full swings with a bunch of wedges and all the time spent around the greens learning how the react is just more time than I have 

Can’t go flag hunting if you miss a tight fairway on a windy day 

51 minutes ago, Devildawg67 said:

Low digit handicap here 

I’ve always carried a pretty traditional bag set up.

When you say traditional bag set-up I assume you mean 3w and 5w?

• Like 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

I go:

Driver

4 wood (16.5)

2 Utility iron (18)

4 utility iron (23)

5-PW

50-54-58

I'm really liking this setup. 4 wood I can roast 270 on the fly or feather it 250. 2 iron is a low bullet off the tee. 4 utility is stock 235 and very playable and can hit different trajectories. I've been searching a while for a setup and this one seems to check the boxes for me! 

Ping G430 Max 10K

Callaway UW 17 w/Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
Callaway AI Smoke 5-AW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
LA Golf Malibu Arm Lock

2024 Callaway Chrome Tour X

If you’re fine hitting 3/4 wedge shots, then stick with it.  What type of shot are you expecting to pick up with a 4th wedge in the bag that you can’t already do?

Driver:  Ping 425Max (Aldila Synergy)

3W&5W:  Mizuno ST-Z (Aldila Synergy)

7W Taylor Made Stealth (Aldila Ascent)

4H:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (Accra FX)

5-GW:  Taylor Made Sim2 Max (SteelFiber i110)

52* Edel SMS C-Grind (Paderson Wedge Flex)

56*W Cleveland CBX (SteelFiber i110CW)

Bettinardi QB10

I am doing the exact same thing @Devildawg67.  Always had a driving iron in my bag until last season and just missed having that option at the top of the bag.  Recently put a 2i back in and took my 52* wedge out.  Found myself not pulling my 52 all that often.  Current gap between pw & 56 is big on paper, but very manageable as I’ve become more comfortable with a “ 10 o’clock “ swing with pw.

I also have a low bounce 60* and high bounce 56*.  My 56 is 95-105 pretty comfortably.  Pw is 130 full.  I can hit a 110 yd shot with pw that’s nice and low that I just could not do before.

It all depends what you need for your game.  My wedge game is pretty strong.  I need more options and versatility at the top end of my bag.

• Like 2

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I have a driving iron that I would love in my bag, but the reality is I hit a lot of short irons and wedges into the green. So for me it’s more important to have those gaps covered and have options to use at the bottom of the bag vs the top. 

If you think the driving iron provides more value and will help you score more and feel confident on manipulating the PW to cover the gap then go that direction.

Another option is to go with a stronger sw at 54. I wouldn’t worry as much about the loft gaps as the actual distance gaps when you hit the new sticks. I bought wedges based on loft gaps but once I got my new irons I needed to change based on actual distances 

Edited by Flip4000

If you must have the driving iron then try pw, 54, 60

25 - 30 yards is a massive gap in that part of your bag.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

First of all, your bag mix is a bit of a mystery. Do  you carry a fairway wood, or just start at 2H?

------------------------------------------------

How many wedges? Part of the answer depends on how you approach your wedge game.

If you're primarily a feel guy, you go by tempo and feel to control your short shots, three wedges could work.

If you're more of a mechanic, a la Dave Pelz matrix style, the four wedges x four backswing lengths to cover distances calls for four wedges.

----------------------------------------------

It's possible to have both driving 3i and four wedges, from a circa 2000 fix when the gap wedge came on strong.

The longer hitters wanted to keep 3W and 5W, and 3i-9i, plus four wedges. The solution:

Bend the 5i a degree strong, weaken the 3i one degree, and drop the 4i. Ended up with a 12-yard gap at long end, rather than 10-yard gap. Something to consider.

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 3

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I would focus on gapping.

For example, the PXG PW most likely performs like a 9i vs. a traditional PW, GW like a PW etc. As such, if you ignore the stamping on the bottom of the club, you’re likely not be carrying four wedges. 

Another consideration would be the courses you play. If short courses where driver and 3 wood are too much the driving iron makes sense. However, if that’s not the case I think most folks will find themselves in the scoring zone more often. 

• Like 2

I used to have 4 wedges including pw and now I have gotten rid of the gap wedge for a 3 iron and I’m never going back 

Driver 

3 wood 

2 iron

3-pw 

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

How far do you hit your driver? 
 I am a low cap and hit it farther then most. 

I would opt for another wedge 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

I've dealt with this question a fair amount and here is my perspective.

You basically only need wedges that you can well utilize. If you're not willing to put the time in calibrating distances then adding wedges doesn't help as much as we'd hope.

There are plenty of strong players that are not much better with 4 wedges than 3 because of how they practice.

Another rule of thumb you probably need 3-4 "play clubs" for par 4's and 5's. Clearly you envision some utility from the driving iron. So that could affect how you want your final kit to play.

Say

Driver
1st fairway
2nd fairway
Driving iron

Depending on how far you hit your 3 or 4 irons and what the gapping from a fairway wood you might not "need" the distance/trajectory of the driving iron that bad.

Gotta think you want the DI or else you wouldn't have started this thread. So the easiest solution would probably be to drop the 3 or 4 iron and call it good. I'd recommend that.

If you are super nervous about the resulting gap you could weaken the 3 or strengthen the 4 and then leave the other out. It's probably not necessary and I doubt it effects your scores much if at all, though it could, and it would certainly depend on how you hit your long approaches, where you play and how often you need to throttle down off of the tee?

Most players don't benefit much from a 3-4- and 5 iron especially as any of the 2:3 are nearly as good as all 3. 

Your mileage may very but I suggest you measure for yourself and see how it goes.

Dave Pelz's shortgame Bible covered this topic in an interesting manner worth checking out for sure.

Edited by JAMH03
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, wam78 said:

I am doing the exact same thing @Devildawg67.  Always had a driving iron in my bag until last season and just missed having that option at the top of the bag.  Recently put a 2i back in and took my 52* wedge out.  Found myself not pulling my 52 all that often.  Current gap between pw & 56 is big on paper, but very manageable as I’ve become more comfortable with a “ 10 o’clock “ swing with pw.

I also have a low bounce 60* and high bounce 56*.  My 56 is 95-105 pretty comfortably.  Pw is 130 full.  I can hit a 110 yd shot with pw that’s nice and low that I just could not do before.

It all depends what you need for your game.  My wedge game is pretty strong.  I need more options and versatility at the top end of my bag.

That’s the set up I’m going to switch too 

I’ve had PW G and a higher bounce 58s for years.Even as a low handicap player a plus at one point..I’ve always had that shot or two around the greens on light lies where that high bounce just prevented me from making a precise chip 

you'd think over the years I would have at least tried a low bounce 60? I haven’t until late last fall.I was like WTH? How many strokes have you lost over the last 15 years 

I’ll be moving to a stronger loft than the traditional lofts of my 690 blades and my 08 X forged  I know there will be a gap between the PW and the Sand wedge 

but how many swings are full stock anyway ? almost every shot is either jump on it or feather it. If I can’t control the distance on the most used club in the bag I probably struggle adding a 4th 

ive been driver 3W 17 degree hybrid for years 

the 17 is a old school sonartec that’s going to be hard to pull from the bag but getting a 60 wedge is pay off 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kale_m said:

How far do you hit your driver? 
 I am a low cap and hit it farther then most. 

I would opt for another wedge 

I just turned 52 I’ve aged in line with technology seems like my distance has never really changed despite a slightly slower swing speed 

I’m still hitting 109-112  carry 270 avg drives 285-300 just depends on the time of the year 

the PNW it’s all carry 6 months out of the year 

when I travel to the desert it’s 300+ all day 

... Where you play can have a big influence on what is in your bag. Playing in the soft and lush conditions in the Midwest a DI was not a club I could use very often because carry was king. Living in the Phoenix desert with hard fast fairways my DI is my go to club quite often where an additional 30-40 yds makes it both accurate and plenty long from the tee and second shots into par 5's.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Where you play can have a big influence on what is in your bag. Playing in the soft and lush conditions in the Midwest a DI was not a club I could use very often because carry was king. Living in the Phoenix desert with hard fast fairways my DI is my go to club quite often where an additional 30-40 yds makes it both accurate and plenty long from the tee and second shots into par 5's.  

Turning 50 has definitely changed the way I look at my bag.I’ve been pretty stock standard bag forever dropping the 2 iron for a hybrid was a huge deal for me 

most of the games I play at the CC are with lower handicaps always from the tips.Get away from my club and play some of these 50 over tournaments are usually from shorter tees  350 yard par 4s   I’ve always preferred a full short iron into the green than a 98 yard wedge,flighting spin the wind bring so many variables into play and just not a fan of driver pitch putt all day 

• Like 1

I live and play in Dallas, so a DI works really well.  Also a reason why low bounce 60* works well.  Lots of hard & fast fairways and hard greens.

Edited by wam78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I’ve played a high bounce 56 or 58 for decades I’m pretty good bunker player make my share of shots out of the rough around the greens.I end up using my PW or 52 on really tight lies I’m looking forward to gaming a 60 with low bounce 

off topic 

I’m sold on getting some PXG equipment for numerous reasons also a veteran.I haven’t hit enough balls to know for sure but I’m really curious how these hollow body irons play at the bottom of the bag.My sons PXGs absolutely explode off the club face,I’ve carried his 4 iron 220 yards I know I’ve never hit my 690 4 iron over 205 yards it’s good for 190-200 

I’m leaning towards the new STs from PXG at least from 8 iron down.How consistent are these new hollow body hot face irons ? 

• Like 1

How do you use the 50 and 55? 
for me the 55 isn’t quite enough for bunker play our club is white soft sand.The 50 just seems redundant? no real advantage chipping with that vs the PW ? I’ve carried a 52 for years it definitely fills a yardage gap I just seldom find myself in the wheelhouse for that club,easily the least used club in the bag 

dropped my 60 to be able to have D, 3wd, 5wd, 4hy, 4i at the top of my bag. no regrets at all.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation just picked up a 3 utility iron. Current setup

Driver, 5wood, 7wood, 4-GW, 54,58

Not quite sure where the utility iron is going to fit in? Maybe swap it out depending on course. I find myself using all the wedges during a round but if I had to choose to pull one it would be the 58. 

The struggle is real! Same age group represented and totally identify with dropping the 2 iron feeling. 

After years of playing D-3w-2h-3-P-54-60, I dropped the 60 and went 58 for more predictability. Bought new irons with a 46 pw and found that 50-54-58 worked well. I went driving iron hunting and was fit into a 20* 3 iron. My ego wanted the 18* but the 20* was a few yards less, but better dispersion and trajectory. The 3u actually kicked the 2h (old Adams) out of the bag as it is just as long, is very predictable, and is easier to work. Long story short, I went back for the 23* 4u, bent my 5i a degree strong and have the 4 wedges. You can look at my signature for the deets. 

So I dropped the 2h (for now) because of the 3u (never saw that one coming). I think about 52-60, but the 54 is my go to around the greens and I still practice with the 60 but the 58 beats it 9/10. I actually have a lower bounce 54 I will put in on occasion when needed because the 58 is my preferred sand club. Years ago, I did the 52 gap, never got along with it, but for some reason the 50 is better. I use is as a pw and my pw is just another iron (back when we first started playing it would be called a 9 iron). 

So in the end, the unbeatable Adams 2h got beat by a Titleist U500 3u and allowed me to stretch out the top of the bag as I ditched the set 4iron for the 4u. Good luck in the never ending journey and keep us posted! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5*, Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

On 1/29/2022 at 10:36 AM, Devildawg67 said:

I’ve been playing around with a low bounce 60 with a high bounce 56

I like the low bounce LW and high bounce SW combo. I find it gives me a lot of versatility on the course and I have two options out of sand bunkers.

I also find my GW isn't used much but when I do pull it out it works well. One of the things I'm looking at this season is dropping it out of the bag and going with a 48, 54, 60 line up for wedges. I might weaken my 9iron a degree so I'll have 6* gaps at the low end of my bag. This will give me 13 clubs and the 14th will either be a DI or an extra Hybrid depending on conditions that day.

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

I will say this with not knowing your game---- Experiment some with both options and determine what feels best for you overall---- Leave yourself options to switch out clubs according to the course---- As for me SOP if you look and count in my signature you will see I only carry 12 clubs. That will get me around fine at my home course. Depending on the different course I may play that leaves me an option for a high bounce SW for fluffy traps and believe it or not either a 1 iron or a persimmon 2 wood on the top end for the knock down runner.. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft