2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade Stealth Face Durability

albvert

F1 chassis are carbon and take 50+ g, so unless they got cheap with it, my guess is the face will hold up. But I'm no expert. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

While CF structures can be superb at dealing with bending forces, the reason you don’t (and won’t) see CF faces on irons, and shouldn’t on FW’s and hybrids, is that they’re very poor dealing with point impacts.

A typical driver ball strike creates more than 2000 lbs of force. If you distribute that over the size and hardness of a large grain of sand for instance, you will get point dislocations, like the image above appears to be.

The lesson, which TM might have been good to share, is to check your ball and the club face for contamination before every shot.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

33 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

While CF structures can be superb at dealing with bending forces, the reason you don’t (and won’t) see CF faces on irons, and shouldn’t on FW’s and hybrids, is that they’re very poor dealing with point impacts.

A typical driver ball strike creates more than 2000 lbs of force. If you distribute that over the size and hardness of a large grain of sand for instance, you will get point dislocations, like the image above appears to be.

The lesson, which TM might have been good to share, is to check your ball and the club face for contamination before every shot.

I don’t have any concerns about it cracking or breaking, I’m just worried about the coating deteriorating significantly. Only time will tell, but I’ll make sure to clean my ball before from now on lol 

On 2/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, albvert said:

Now that the Stealth has been out for a few weeks, how has the face been holding up for everyone? I just got back from a round and noticed a small gash on the face. I’m wondering if this is going to be the norm moving forward. 

977574AE-998B-47E6-B512-B855C87806F4.jpeg

So I have now played 3 rounds with it and I make sure to clean my ball before teeing it up and no issues with the face. One thing I really like is the feel off the face compared to past drivers. It’s much softer yet the ball carries well with lots of roll.

I clean the golf ball before hitting any driver shot and putt.  Been doing it for years because my OCD hates scratches on the faces of drivers and putters.  Also, debris and junk on the ball affects ball flight and distance more than one would think.  I have four rounds and many range session with my Stealth Plus.  No marks on the face and it seems to be holding up well.  I do have a scratch on the toe of the driver from an errant swing at the range.

Titleist TSR2, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

Titleist T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM10 Jet Black Wedges, 50.08 F, 54.12 D, 60.08 SM, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

I have hit it off the deck a few times and noticed minor indentations into the thick ring of coating around the bottom edge.

Are you sure that that mark on your face is actually a little divot? It kinda looks like a dead gnat to me.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

A friend of mine that is a Tech Rep for his local rep had 3 Stealths seam crack at a golf show while they were demoing them. They had a 45-60 minute wait at one point during the demo day.  I would be interested to know for warranty or repair if TM will go the "Safelite Autoglass route" and if a face fails or bond cracks replace the face like a car windshield? From the non-bonded head sample the reps have, it looks very similar to that process. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

planned obsolescence
[ˌpland ˌäbsəˈlesəns]

NOUN
  1. a policy of producing consumer goods that rapidly become obsolete and so require replacing, achieved by frequent changes in design, termination of the supply of spare parts, and the use of nondurable materials.

I'm always suspicious of these kinds of design changes, especially where there are limitations (such as drivers have with respect to COR, etc ...) on what you can do to try and improve a new version.  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Not specifically around durability but I did have an interesting thought about the coating when I took my Stealth+ out in my last round.  When I'm inside my house and it's warm, the coating almost has a sticky texture to it.  Taylormade stated that they applied this coating to help control the spin on the driver, especially when moisture is introduced.  When I went out to play last weekend, it was cold (around 40* F) and the face coating was no longer sticky but very, very hard and slick feeling.  It almost had the slickness feeling of having a coat of car wax applied to paint.

This makes sense with how polyurethanes change in different temperatures/moisture conditions but now I'm wondering what the performance difference will be if I take it out in the blazing heat of Summer vs. the cold of Winter?  Does the slicker face in cold weather cause different spin characteristics?  You could easily change a driver's performance by applying vaseline or chapstick to the face of a metal driver so would this be similar to that, albeit to a lesser extent?

The thoughts that go through my head sometimes....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, pccasstpro said:

A friend of mine that is a Tech Rep for his local rep had 3 Stealths seam crack at a golf show while they were demoing them. They had a 45-60 minute wait at one point during the demo day.  I would be interested to know for warranty or repair if TM will go the "Safelite Autoglass route" and if a face fails or bond cracks replace the face like a car windshield? From the non-bonded head sample the reps have, it looks very similar to that process. 

wow that is concerning. Was it just the drivers or any other woods?

Driver- Titleist 9* TSI3 Fujikura Speeder Evo V1 569

3W-  Cobra Speedzone 14.5* / Oban Isawa Red

Hybrid - Taylormade 19* Sim Max / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Proto

Irons- Callaway Apex 2021 5 thru AW  / LA golf Tour AXS Red 

Wedges- Vokey SM8 Jet Black 54* & 58*  

Putter- SIK C Series DW 

1 minute ago, mikewilliams29 said:

wow that is concerning. Was it just the drivers or any other woods?

I would assume drivers, as they were on LM's and that is what most people want to hit at a demo session. Plus the FW's do not have the carbon face.   But also, you have to remember the skill level of the player needs to come into question. If you have a guy who has had a few drinks at the 19th hole during the show, or has not picked up a club in the past 3 months, or is even a novice to the game this will affect impact on that face and bonding seams. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

I've had my concerns as well even before I decided to take the plunge.  TM's warranty is pretty good so if the face becomes compromised in any way that renders it defective, the warranty should cover it.  I will say that I'm 1/2 in terms of getting my past TM drivers covered under warranty so take that with a grain of salt, folks. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Moisture prevention is a great point seeing the silicone like seal around the edge. Did anyone dig there finger in the stealths face like you would a prov1 or soft cover ball? You can see a indented line from your fingernail. So I'd imagine if you hit torn up or dirty range balls your going to cut that face coating. Otherwise I wouldn't expect any issues if you take care of your equipment.

This thead kinda gives me the OCD Creeps about the durability and qualities of the whole "Carbon" thingy with Taylormade.

I doubt I would ever play such a Driver...

Others have made carbon references above - I finally unloaded a high end Aluminum Mtn. Bike over a year ago for a nice carbon frame hardtail, and also got carbon in a drop bars gravel/CX bike.  At first, I was concerned the frames would be destroyed by all the sharp rocks that bounce off the undersides, but it actually holds up as well as aluminum surfaces.

The carbon bikes are much lighter.  I didn't get the more pricey carbon wheelsets in either but my seatposts, stems, and bars are all full carbon in each with some carbon cranks on the Niner Air 9 RDO HT Mtn.  All have been quite durable!

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Materials Engineer here: One as others have said water /any contamination is the issue with CF. Got to wipe down after every shot. Also CF is a very good material performance wise, as it wears, there usually are blemishes that form, it has zero effect on playability, but those with OCD might not like that

Ask again a year from now.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

• 3 weeks later...

It's the hard plastic tees that can pox the polyurethane covered face. 

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Bdck said:

What a month of use at 205-210 ball speed looks like20220617_182041.jpg.e1d72573e5856c42b38ceb04236d2bf8.jpg

Holy s*** balls.  The face toe side is starting to pop out.  Better get in touch with TM's customer service.  They'll probably tell you to quit swinging so damn hard, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

25 minutes ago, Bdck said:

The bigger issue is the golf ball sized hole in the middle

I noticed earlier but wasn't quite sure what that was.  You need to stop swinging so hard bro, lol. 

12 hours ago, Bdck said:

The bigger issue is the golf ball sized hole in the middle

On the bright side, I think your contact pattern is pretty damn good......I do think they are going to have to refine how they attach the carbon face to the frame, I don't think epoxy is the answer.  Seen more than a few separated but I can say I love my Stealth +.  It is flat out performing for me.

Edited by ignitewvu

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

10 hours ago, ignitewvu said:

On the bright side, I think your contact pattern is pretty damn good......I do think they are going to have to refine how they attach the carbon face to the frame, I don't think epoxy is the answer.  Seen more than a few separated but I can say I love my Stealth +.  It is flat out performing for me.

I get 500 rpm less spin on center strikes with it than I did with my tsi4.  Give me something that low spin and I won't be able to say no.  It lets me play aggressive in the wind and I get to play higher spinning balls (prov1x) which fit perfectly down my bag with old school Mizuno blades shafted with x7's.