Ping PLD Custom Program

dlow206

17 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

Debating between a custom PLD or taking my specs and buying a Mack Made. The virtual fitting was really cool 

Nice. I guess that's a choice you have to make. 

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

19 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

Debating between a custom PLD or taking my specs and buying a Mack Made. The virtual fitting was really cool 

interesting keep us updated on your choice. 

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

perhaps you could get a limited PLD and adjust it to your specs if you fit the Anser 

Edited by newportbeach

- Lord Tennyson

Alright, finalized my order with Alex. Before going into the details, Alex is awesome. Lots of folks earlier had mentioned how patient he is but he goes over and beyond to ensure you are having the best putter fitting and custom putter made for you. He sent a ton of comparison pics and was extremely responsive (typically gets back within a few hours). A++ for just the VIP treatment here.

Specs: 

Anser 2D, Carbon in patina, with the prototype head without the 3 dashes

2* Flat

Standard loft

no alignment, can add later. Wanted to experiment with just topline but figured will try it out first as it is not possible to remove one

Stepless shaft

Shallow Amp milling

FWIW: the graphite shaft is out of stock, and is a 2-3 month wait. An example of Alex going over and above, he checked every avenue for that shaft (including calling the tour van etc). Apparently the shaft is too stiff, so they are redesigning and will have a new version. He offered to swap the shafts if I decide to do so later. 

One thing I was curious, Alex had to go find a head for me that was the ping logo without the lines. I was under the impression they would be freshly milling these vs having some heads lying around? Is it that the proto heads are pre-milled and the others are freshly missed? 

Love this thread 🙂

Stumbled upon the PLD milled line just browsing like an equipment nut that I, sorry, WE are lol and ended up going to my local shop to pickup and game an Anser-2. Decades ago when the Redwood line dropped, it was all I could think about to game but a young college student income wouldn't allow it. Went deep down the Cameron rabbit hole for years after I was able to afford the equipment I would like. Eventually purchased a few custom milled putters from vendors that offer a "true" custom fit but, in the grand scheme still left something to be desired in the terms of a TRUE in person fitting experience. We'll last week jumped on the PLD site and booked an in person fitting and cannot wait till I get to go through the full gambit as some of you guys have experienced come end of November. Keep the pics coming guys.

Pdang

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mojomover said:

Alright, finalized my order with Alex. Before going into the details, Alex is awesome. Lots of folks earlier had mentioned how patient he is but he goes over and beyond to ensure you are having the best putter fitting and custom putter made for you. He sent a ton of comparison pics and was extremely responsive (typically gets back within a few hours). A++ for just the VIP treatment here.

Specs: 

Anser 2D, Carbon in patina, with the prototype head without the 3 dashes

2* Flat

Standard loft

no alignment, can add later. Wanted to experiment with just topline but figured will try it out first as it is not possible to remove one

Stepless shaft

Shallow Amp milling

FWIW: the graphite shaft is out of stock, and is a 2-3 month wait. An example of Alex going over and above, he checked every avenue for that shaft (including calling the tour van etc). Apparently the shaft is too stiff, so they are redesigning and will have a new version. He offered to swap the shafts if I decide to do so later. 

One thing I was curious, Alex had to go find a head for me that was the ping logo without the lines. I was under the impression they would be freshly milling these vs having some heads lying around? Is it that the proto heads are pre-milled and the others are freshly missed? 

I can't remember where, but I saw a picture or two of racks of raw heads waiting to be personalised/adjusted to spec - I presume they add the face milling as per orders. The three lines in the cavity, assuming that's what you meant, are part of the design of these putters.  They made PLDs without the lines pre-launching the custom service (mainly for tour and those with 'Ins' at Ping I think); I had one for a while which I bought used.  I've heard they have a small number of proto heads still in stock without the lines - and I agree that those look nicer!

Very interesting on the graphite being too stiff!

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Ended up just ordering 

Anser 4J TR grooves Proto head

Flange line black paintfill 

Dark Oyster

Matte stepless Black shaft

PP58 Mid Blackout 

350g(with the tungsten) 1 strong 1 flat 35”

I like the blacked out look. Can add engraving down the road if they expand into more of what I wanted I was told. Now the long 4-6 week wait. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BostonWRX said:

Ended up just ordering 

Anser 4J TR grooves Proto head

Flange line black paintfill 

Dark Oyster

Matte stepless Black shaft

PP58 Mid Blackout 

350g(with the tungsten) 1 strong 1 flat 35”

I like the blacked out look. Can add engraving down the road if they expand into more of what I wanted I was told. Now the long 4-6 week wait. 

What style neck is the J?

I have my Zoom call with Alex today and a little worried on how it is going to go. Seeing the wide style Anser and Anser 2 pics on this thread I really was leaning towards something a little more bulky than the typical Anser style. Having heard though that these wider styles start at 365grams it basically throws my initial thoughts on what I wanted out the window as i like my putters at 345-350 grams. 

• Like 1
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

46 minutes ago, UnderPar18 said:

I have my Zoom call with Alex today and a little worried on how it is going to go. Seeing the wide style Anser and Anser 2 pics on this thread I really was leaning towards something a little more bulky than the typical Anser style. Having heard though that these wider styles start at 365grams it basically throws my initial thoughts on what I wanted out the window as i like my putters at 345-350 grams. 

Look at the kushin which weighs 350.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Tour AD TSG Silver 65X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

1 hour ago, UnderPar18 said:

My Anser will be 360 gms, we tried this weight in the fitting and it worked as we wanted it to, if you find the head you like they can add weight where needed.

4 hours ago, Adam Edmunds said:

Wanted to jump in on this thread, I'm based in the UK & in the summer I heard about the PLD programme, with the use of a VPN I managed to booked a fitting and flew out to Arizona specifically for the fitting last month.

I can say without question that if you can do the in-person option it is worth the time & effort, Alex was superb (as many have you have mentioned) it didn't take long to solve my miss left on short putts, It was amazing to see the improvements by some small adjustments & in the end of it there was a significant reduction to my putting handicap.

Last part of the session was on the outside green where we focused on the milling, this allowed get how I wanted the putter to sound & the feel off the face. Going into the booking I was very set on the head finish of Patina & the idea of the DS72 head, that was until I got the Anser 4J Oyster in my hands & that created a dilemma!

Last part was writing up the order &  we settled on the Anser 4j. You won't have seen this as an option because it's still a proto but the neck suited my style, finally we visited the vault & was able to handle any of the putters, for any golf fan this is a must!  

One great addition was that the Programme states they only ship to the USA, after some internal discussions they agreed to ship the putter to Ping UK, this makes it much easier than me having to get it shipped to a friend then over to the UK, this was something they hadn't had to consider before as they noted I was the first non US citizen to be fitted.

After the fitting I was still not sure on if i'd selected the right finish so I contacted Alex & I ordered another putter with a contrasting look.

Hoping to get the putters in the coming weeks, photos to follow

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 11.18.22.png

It sucks how people outside the US have to use a work around but at least I know it can be done. But like you I'd rather go there personally vs do a virtual fitting. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

It sucks how people outside the US have to use a work around but at least I know it can be done. But like you I'd rather go there personally vs do a virtual fitting. 

They did question how I got around it, they had their assumptions but didn't want to accuse 🙂 

Just now, Adam Edmunds said:

They did question how I got around it, they had their assumptions but didn't want to accuse 🙂 

I'm in Canada and the Ping HQ is actually 10min from my office so not like I'm in the middle of no where. I get if they don't want to ship a cradle even though I do have a US address to ship to, etc. 

Like I want a putter, let me get a putter, if not someone else will get my money lol. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I'm in Canada and the Ping HQ is actually 10min from my office so not like I'm in the middle of no where. I get if they don't want to ship a cradle even though I do have a US address to ship to, etc. 

Like I want a putter, let me get a putter, if not someone else will get my money lol. 

You don't need to show your address at booking, just use a VPN and you will be sorted, Alex did mention they were expanding the programme to Japan & UK soon but no mention of Canada

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adam Edmunds said:

Wanted to jump in on this thread, I'm based in the UK & in the summer I heard about the PLD programme, with the use of a VPN I managed to booked a fitting and flew out to Arizona specifically for the fitting last month.

I can say without question that if you can do the in-person option it is worth the time & effort, Alex was superb (as many have you have mentioned) it didn't take long to solve my miss left on short putts, It was amazing to see the improvements by some small adjustments & in the end of it there was a significant reduction to my putting handicap.

Last part of the session was on the outside green where we focused on the milling, this allowed get how I wanted the putter to sound & the feel off the face. Going into the booking I was very set on the head finish of Patina & the idea of the DS72 head, that was until I got the Anser 4J Oyster in my hands & that created a dilemma!

Last part was writing up the order &  we settled on the Anser 4j. You won't have seen this as an option because it's still a proto but the neck suited my style, finally we visited the vault & was able to handle any of the putters, for any golf fan this is a must!  

One great addition was that the Programme states they only ship to the USA, after some internal discussions they agreed to ship the putter to Ping UK, this makes it much easier than me having to get it shipped to a friend then over to the UK, this was something they hadn't had to consider before as they noted I was the first non US citizen to be fitted.

After the fitting I was still not sure on if i'd selected the right finish so I contacted Alex & I ordered another putter with a contrasting look.

Hoping to get the putters in the coming weeks, photos to follow

Screenshot 2022-10-12 at 11.18.22.png

Great feedback thanks for sharing - I look forward to seeing your putter.

• Like 1

- Lord Tennyson

So not sure I am the first and likely will not be the last, but I may not go forward with ordering a Ping putter. Had my Zoom meeting with Alex today and he was fantastic on every level. The wide style putters were dismissed as options on my end because of the inability to get them down to 350grams. The Kushin style just isn't my cup of tea, which really left me with an Anser X or an Anser. I already have 2 anser style putters so it felt pointless to drop the coin on another one. The Anser X intrigues me, but not sure it intrigues me THAT much. I don't mind a double bend mallet, but a double bend blade just looks odd to me. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

44 minutes ago, UnderPar18 said:

The wide style putters were dismissed as options on my end because of the inability to get them down to 350grams. 

I understand not wanting another Anser but my 4J head is 340g.

F856C0CC-3DF9-41C1-984D-7D89E463B83E.jpeg

• Like 4

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

On 10/12/2022 at 6:31 PM, littletimbo182 said:

Just had my online fitting with Jeff and really enjoyed it. Final specs:

Head style: Anser 2

Finish: Carbon with dark patina

Face: ball width shallow grooves

Shaft: matte black stepless

Alignment: single black dot 

Paint fill: all black

It was down the the anser 2 at 355 grams or ds 72 at 365. Really torn between these two shapes. I currently play something very similar to the anser 2. So not sure if I should do with the ds 72 for something slightly different. Or go with the anser 2 because it’s a shape I’ve had success with. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, littletimbo182 said:

It was down the the anser 2 at 355 grams or ds 72 at 365. Really torn between these two shapes. I currently play something very similar to the anser 2. So not sure if I should do with the ds 72 for something slightly different. Or go with the anser 2 because it’s a shape I’ve had success with. 

The Anser4j will be going straight in the back however putting is a confidence game, I also ordered a DS72 that will be cosmetically very different so if I have a couple of off games I know I have a back up that's still built exactly to my needs but a different look, 

Can't wait for them to arrive

Does PLD offer a short slant neck (jet) or is it always the flow neck? 

Ping G430 LST (10.5*) / Ventus Red 6X

Ping G430 Max (15*) / Ventus Red 7X

Tour Edge XCG7 (21*) Aldila Rogue Black 80S

Tour Select 835 (17*) Driving Iron

Srixon Z785 4-PW Accra 115i Green

Ping Glide 2.0 46* SS / 52* SS 58* TS Accra 120i Wedge

Ping Scottsdale TR Piper C  

Titleist Pro V1X