2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should I add a 7W?

PilotSports

33 minutes ago, freddi22cl said:

First time 7-wood user

been using the Callaway Rogue ST 7-wood. 

like it, BUT-- it gets so high in the air . Dunno, if it will say in the bag . I guess it depends on bag set-up. 

driver -4w(3HL) - 7w

vs

driver-  3w - 5w

on a windy day, no way this comes out

I should have gone with an adjustable 7 -wood, like the PingG425. 

The PING G425 7 wood is essentially an old 5 wood at 20.5. I have one and love it, and I have the 5 wood turned down to 16.5 (3/4 wood), those are my fairway woods in my bag. The adjustability is great to work out gapping and flight

1 hour ago, freddi22cl said:

First time 7-wood user

been using the Callaway Rogue ST 7-wood. 

like it, BUT-- it gets so high in the air . Dunno, if it will say in the bag . I guess it depends on bag set-up. 

driver -4w(3HL) - 7w

vs

driver-  3w - 5w

on a windy day, no way this comes out

I should have gone with an adjustable 7 -wood, like the PingG425. 

Are you finding the rogue has a draw bias?

I have Mizuno jpx 850 3, 5, and 7, which are all adjustable. The 7 has a Motore 6.3 shaft, R flex. I got it used for a song and wanted a stiff shaft but it has worked out well. It’s amazing what can be done with this club. Pure confidence addressing the ball.

I liked these fws so much I bought the ST200 driver with the Atmos 6.0 S. I have Ping i210 irons at the moment (that I like a lot) but I just may return to Mizuno there too. 

For anyone looking for a 7 wood, I found a steal on 2nd swing for a ts2. Go take a look I think there is one left at the low price. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* / Tour Ad XC 6TX Shaft testing in progress..

Taylormade SIM Ti 15* / Tour Ad HD 7X @42.5

Titleist TS2 21* / Tour Ad XC 8x @41.5   A hybrid that is yet to be named

Titleist T100 (2019) 4-9 / Modus 120x

Titleist Vokey SM7 46+50+54+58 / Modus 120x

Bettinardi BB8W

On 4/12/2022 at 8:51 PM, AvgSlicer said:

Anyone play a sim2 19* lofted all the way up to 21?

just got a Tsi2 4wd and looking at 7 woods now. But could get my hands on a sim 2 ti for a good deal. Wondering if anyone has used this setup as a 7wood.

Late answer to your question but I did this for a while when I first got it. If you don’t mind the more closed face it is definitely good. Probably find it goes further than most other 7 woods. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Just be careful with a 7 wood...... Most 7 woods are designed to launch high and spin alot...... if you already generate hi spin rate numbers you should think about carrying an adjustable 5 wood like a Mizuno STZ and cranking it up to 20 degrees..... but to also counter the spin look at upping the flex of a shaft...... I swing my 5/6 wood at around 97mph but have a Tensai White Boron Tip 80 gram TX Graphite shaft fitted in it  which allows me to keep the spin down but the descent angle high.... Give it a go.... it worked for me.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, Fairway14 said:

For some players 7-wood is good, for others the club produces too high spinning high trajectory shots which make consistent distance control too much of a challenge.

Can't you just fit it with the proper shaft to get a lower kick point, lower trajectory, whatever to lower spin and lower trajectory?

Basically I'd simplify it like this. 

If your stock shot (like mine is) is a draw - you're probably gonna hook a hybrid a few times and hate it. 

If you like to cover the ball and hit it low (like I do) you're not going get the "bandaid" you want for height with a hybrid

If you're not someone who spins the ball a ton (usually cuz you draw it) the hybrid won't help. (especially if you like heavier stiffer shafts) - My PING G hybrid (which I assumed was a high spin club) was literally spinning less and launching lower than my driving iron. 7 wood is the complete opposite 

3 hours ago, glennr said:

Can't you just fit it with the proper shaft to get a lower kick point, lower trajectory, whatever to lower spin and lower trajectory?

A shaft alone will not drop launch or RPM a significant amount. Maybe 1-2* and 2-300RPM. When you are spinning something 1000RPM+ more or less han you should, a shaft wont fix that. 

Now a shaft may help you alter your swing via weight or feel which will alter delivery and in turn alter numbers, but thats a different story and involves a fitting.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

• 7 months later...

Definitely the best club and most useful in my bag is my Callaway 21 degree V-series Heavenwood.  3 wood length Bassara R Shaft.   Fills the gap between my 16.5 degree HL 3 wood (ok, call it a 4 wood if you wish) and my 22 degree 4 hybrid.  Almost impossible not to get this one up in the air.  The launch is higher and it lands softer.  You can pick one up from time to time on e bay or Callaway used clubs.  

Edited by blopar
typo

I got the PING G425 7W 20.5 with stock shaft which is my 195-205 club. My 5 iron is 22.5 I know not much difference but there are times when the 5 iron is best and most of the time it will be the 7W. All my woods are gapped perfectly 9.0*, 13.5*,17.5* and 20.5*. I have tried hybrids and the only ones I ever like and hit real well consistently were Tour Edge but they kept changing their looks and I just grew away from them and never looked back since I went with fairway woods, especially a 7W. Long and much easier to hit straighter for me

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I added the Cally UW 21deg (7wood) last season and it worked out great but both the heads from Cally rusted which bothered me on a wood so I was going to add in a Titleist 7 wood but after testing I canceled the order as I was hitting it to high with to much spin and opted to try out an old Adams hybrid.  If that does not work I will resort back to the Utility iron 21deg since I do not struggle with height and spin.

The Cally UW worked for me as it seemed launch and spin less then other 7 woods

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

On 3/12/2022 at 10:44 AM, WipeyFade said:

I’ve played a couple of rounds with my 7 wood. I play a half set and I use it for a long iron replacement. Initially, it felt like magic. For me it’s such a versatile club, I can hit it really high, punch it out from under trees, hit a running half shot for the heck of it, and even chip with it. The only issue I have really had is when I over swing, which I do way too much, it starts to hook a little. I think the shaft may be a little soft for my swing. 

I think this is an issue for a lot of guys who try the 7W.

When faced with a 200 yard shot we've always swung at 95% with a long iron or utility. A seven wood should go the same distance but it requires more like a wedge swing to control the trajectory and spin. It's an adjustment. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, uglande said:

I have the same setup and it works great, except that I keep the 3w at 13.5, the 7w at 21 and then take the 5w down to 17.25, so I have 3.75 gaps between them. Creates so much versatility at the top of the bag. Off the tee I can hit bombs or low stingers with the 3w, and with this combination, almost every par 5 green can be reached and held, and I have lots of options out of the rough. The only limitation is wind. On particularly windy days, I exchange the 7w for a utility iron. 

+1, Perfect setup IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an average ball striker, 98 mph w/driver.  

My Ping G425 7W is my 195-205 carry club and has some mysterious quality where I'm consistently near the middle of the face and it just goes straight, high yet still penetrating (even in the wind), stays in the air forever and lands softly.  Favorite club in my bag.

I go 4W, 7W, 5H, 5i.  

4W is Ping G425 5W turned down 1 to 16.5, 7W is stock 20.5, 5H is Ping G425 5H turned down 1 to 25.  5H is a full 1 club longer than 5i for me.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 Max D 10.5 / GD Tour AD XC 6 S

Ping G425 Max 5W / Tensei AV Orange 75 S 

Ping G425 Max 7W / Alta CB 65 Slate S

Ping G425 5H / Alta CB 70 Slate S

Srixon ZX5 5-9 / Project X IO 5.5

Ping Glide 3.0 45/50/54/60 / Project X IO 5.5

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

Update, I hit the Cally UW 21* again, well the new one that has not rusted yet and it will be in the bag this year rust or not.  Tried the TSR2 7 wood and it spun like a top for me.  The UW seems to be the club for the 235 yard shot into greens

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I'm experimenting with a 7w this year. The course I play most often has a couple of long par 3s where I envision it being quite useful. One hole in particular is often a stretch for me to reach with a 4 iron, and I'm envisioning the 7 wood going a bit farther, so I can more consistently hit the green without having to crush a 4i or dial it back with a 5w or driving iron (I switch between those two.) I built one with a TSi2 and a 80x Ventus Black in hopes of having something that will avoid ballooning. I've only had a chance to hit it at the range once, but it shows potential. 

For a while now, the top end of my bag has gone 7.5* driver, 13* 3 wood, 18* 5 wood (or 17* driving iron), and then 4i. I think for rounds when I bag the 7 wood, I may adjust my 3w to play in the +1.5 setting (so, 16*) instead of the -1.5 setting, to give myself a little better gapping. There are a couple of courses that I play pretty regularly where this setup would make sense, and then I can use the 5 wood or driving iron and switch out the 7 wood or 4 iron on longer courses and on windy days.

Assuming that the 7 wood ends up working out, it will definitely give me some more options about how to configure the top end of the bag.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

3 hours ago, 3_Jack_Par said:

I'm experimenting with a 7w this year. The course I play most often has a couple of long par 3s where I envision it being quite useful. One hole in particular is often a stretch for me to reach with a 4 iron, and I'm envisioning the 7 wood going a bit farther, so I can more consistently hit the green without having to crush a 4i or dial it back with a 5w or driving iron (I switch between those two.) I built one with a TSi2 and a 80x Ventus Black in hopes of having something that will avoid ballooning. I've only had a chance to hit it at the range once, but it shows potential. 

For a while now, the top end of my bag has gone 7.5* driver, 13* 3 wood, 18* 5 wood (or 17* driving iron), and then 4i. I think for rounds when I bag the 7 wood, I may adjust my 3w to play in the +1.5 setting (so, 16*) instead of the -1.5 setting, to give myself a little better gapping. There are a couple of courses that I play pretty regularly where this setup would make sense, and then I can use the 5 wood or driving iron and switch out the 7 wood or 4 iron on longer courses and on windy days.

Assuming that the 7 wood ends up working out, it will definitely give me some more options about how to configure the top end of the bag.

How was the flight with the 7 wood?  I am debating between a g430 5 and 7 wood but feel like the 7 wood with a low launching shaft should be good.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

?

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

13 hours ago, tilasan said:

How was the flight with the 7 wood?  I am debating between a g430 5 and 7 wood but feel like the 7 wood with a low launching shaft should be good.

It's a little hard to say since I've only hit it with range balls and it was my first time swinging a club in about 2 months, but it definitely flew high. I'll be curious to see how it performs off turf and with my normal ball.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 3 weeks later...

I play with a D, 3W, 5W, 7W, & 2H.

I added the 7W before the start of last season.  I took out the 4i.

The gaping between the woods work for me. 

The 2H & 7W are less than 10 yards apart in distance.  However, the trajectories are vastly different.  The 2H gives me a low boring trajectory.  It is not effected by wind. The 2H will not hold a green.  I have to run the ball onto the green.  The 7W gives me a high, green holding, trajectory.  The 7W is effected by wind. 

This has caused me to carry both clubs.  I really don't want to take one of the clubs out of the bag.  For now this works for me.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:55 PM, tilasan said:

Bought my G410 7 wood used and tinkered with several shafts, including the Alta CB 65 and the Tensei Orange CK 70.  Both felt too loose and shots ballooned.  After more experimentation, I settled into a PX Evenflow Black 85g, and it's such a versatile set up.  I can get off the tee with it very comfortably, attack greens, shape draws/fades, flight it down, and step on it coming out of the rough and the head stays with my swing.  It gaps between a 3 wood and 4 iron for me.

I can't tell you how at home I feel with the stability in the lower launching shaft; although, to be fair, I did feel compelled to turn the loft up a degree to get the flight into the trajectory window I wanted.  Per simulator data, I can still manage to get the ball to climb up over 110 feet comfortably and get it to come down steeper than 45 degrees, but it's a much more penetrating flight with better ball speed.

2 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Bought my G410 7 wood used and tinkered with several shafts, including the Alta CB 65 and the Tensei Orange CK 70.  Both felt too loose and shots ballooned.  After more experimentation, I settled into a PX Evenflow Black 85g, and it's such a versatile set up.  I can get off the tee with it very comfortably, attack greens, shape draws/fades, flight it down, and step on it coming out of the rough and the head stays with my swing.  It gaps between a 3 wood and 4 iron for me.

I can't tell you how at home I feel with the stability in the lower launching shaft; although, to be fair, I did feel compelled to turn the loft up a degree to get the flight into the trajectory window I wanted.  Per simulator data, I can still manage to get the ball to climb up over 110 feet comfortably and get it to come down steeper than 45 degrees, but it's a much more penetrating flight with better ball speed.

Great to hear. I actually went with the tour black and it is awesome!

?

Srixon Z-Star 💎

Been looking at gaming a 7W for a while.

As a kid the 5W was always my favourite club in the bag and as I'm now in my mid 30's and hit the ball considerably longer, long irons always bridged that gap. I haven't played a 5W in years, I've always hit higher lofted fairway woods extremely well.

The comments in here are encouraging, as I don't play with anyone that runs a 7W.

I run a 9* Driver, 14* 3W and ZX 2 & 3 irons at the moment.

Not a massive fan of hybrids, I tend to snap hook them every now and then that turns me off them.

The 2 iron is a hit and miss when off the fairway and should really be gamed by me depending on conditions, I feel like there are situations that warrant something between the 3W and the 3iron and something slightly more controllable than the 3W off fairways where warranted.

My 3W is my favourite club in my bag, it will never leave, it's a Big Bertha Alpha 816 14* with a Devotion 7 5Flex (X) - This thing just explodes off the face with such a soft feel at times, it really is a psuedo driver at times, as I can stretch it out to around 285 yrds

off the tee when I middle it. I run a Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X in my M2 for reference, but also looking at a head upgrade at the moment

If I can mimic a 7wood version of the feel of the Alpha with a higher launch and more spin for landing on greens, I'd game it every single time. So might tend to stick with the Devotion line. 

Do some of you still run low launch/low spin shafts in the 7w? Or should I be looking at low-mid/low-mid within the Devotion range?

Was thinking the below might suit, with the slightly heavier shaft and higher launch/spin to what I have in the 3w?

image.png.9f0422661ef6c58db7ccbcc0fc238dbc.png

Any suggestions?

Edited by Pykie

19 minutes ago, Pykie said:

Been looking at gaming a 7W for a while.

As a kid the 5W was always my favourite club in the bag and as I'm now in my mid 30's and hit the ball considerably longer, long irons always bridged that gap. I haven't played a 5W in years, I've always hit higher lofted fairway woods extremely well.

The comments in here are encouraging, as I don't play with anyone that runs a 7W.

I run a 9* Driver, 14* 3W and ZX 2 & 3 irons at the moment.

Not a massive fan of hybrids, I tend to snap hook them every now and then that turns me off them.

The 2 iron is a hit and miss when off the fairway and should really be gamed by me depending on conditions, I feel like there are situations that warrant something between the 3W and the 3iron and something slightly more controllable than the 3W off fairways where warranted.

My 3W is my favourite club in my bag, it will never leave, it's a Big Bertha Alpha 816 14* with a Devotion 7 5Flex (X) - This thing just explodes off the face with such a soft feel at times, it really is a psuedo driver at times, as I can stretch it out to around 285 yrds

off the tee when I middle it. I run a Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X in my M2 for reference, but also looking at a head upgrade at the moment

If I can mimic a 7wood version of the feel of the Alpha with a higher launch and more spin for landing on greens, I'd game it every single time. So might tend to stick with the Devotion line. 

Do some of you still run low launch/low spin shafts in the 7w? Or should I be looking at low-mid/low-mid within the Devotion range?

Was thinking the below might suit, with the slightly heavier shaft and higher launch/spin to what I have in the 3w?

image.png.9f0422661ef6c58db7ccbcc0fc238dbc.png

Any suggestions?

With your speed you will definitely benefit from a low launch/low spin shaft.

?

Srixon Z-Star 💎

2 minutes ago, Pykie said:

Do most run a slightly heavier shaft in a 7W vs a 3W? Ala a hybrid?

I've marked my shaft currently in my 3W below. To get any heavier in the Devotion range it moves to Low-Mid....

image.png.e332cdfbabb1f4f14d859be05906b060.png

Interesting the heavier shaft has more spin and launch, usually it is the opposite.  I am not as familiar with oban shafts but yes, I would say most players with speed using a 7 wood are using a shaft in the 80 or even 90 gram range.

?

Srixon Z-Star 💎