2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Should I add a 7W?

PilotSports

9 hours ago, R.Patrick said:

What type shafts is everyone playing in their 7W?  Low launch?  I assume you don't really want any help getting the ball up with 21* of loft on the head....

I get along fine with some of the stock Cally shafts but for my Mavrik 7w I couldn't get a 70g from CPO so tossed in a YS6-7 Nano tipped and butt trimmed 1/2 shorter from OEM length.  The 21d is doing the work along with my delivery so not so concerned about how the shaft is marketed launch wise: just need it to feel right 🙂 

I have tried many a hybrid. Hooked the heck out of all of them.  I currently carry not just a 7 wood, but a 9 wood, which gaps perfectly with my T300 5 iron. My current setup is TM M6  5,7 & 9 woods, and I don't foresee that changing any time soon.  One course I play has a 25' uphill  190yd par 3 with a small green that I could seldom hit and hold till I started playing the 7 wood, it comes down so steeply it will hold.  On flat ground it is my go to club 200-205 yd carry, very little run out.

What's the highest lofted players 7w I can get with a loft sleeve? 

Ideally something like 23-24* that I can turn down to open the face. 

Edited by RCGA

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Put a 7w in the bag for the first time last season and it’s not leaving.  I absolutely love it!  Can hit some high soft approach shots from 220-230 that I’ve never been able to do before.  Not as versatile off the tee as a driving iron, but a unicorn club for me on long par 3’s and approaches to short par 5’s.  I still keep a driving iron for windy days and rotate them as needed.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I have long had a problem with fairway woods and rarely had one as I drove the ball well with the driver and hit my long irons well but after reading the forums I eventually got a 20 deg Big Bertha Heavenwood and a 9W as well and can say they have helped me a great deal for teeing off on tight holes on my home course. I haven't had a chance to use them from the fairway as my home course only has 2 par 5's and it's difficult to get close enough with my tee shot(220).

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

5 minutes ago, chipa said:

I have long had a problem with fairway woods and rarely had one as I drove the ball well with the driver and hit my long irons well but after reading the forums I eventually got a 20 deg Big Bertha Heavenwood and a 9W as well and can say they have helped me a great deal for teeing off on tight holes on my home course. I haven't had a chance to use them from the fairway as my home course only has 2 par 5's and it's difficult to get close enough with my tee shot(220).

What 9 wood did you get?

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

What's the highest lofted players 7w I can get with a loft sleeve? 

Ideally something like 23-24* that I can turn down to open the face. 

You can order a g425 9wd (23.5) a 1/2” long and reduce it 1.5*.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

36 minutes ago, Hershey0629 said:

I just ordered a ping g425 7 wood. Going the 4 wood 7 wood route and add in a hybrid when needed. 

Just got my 425 7 wood & love it. Alta CB R shaft

Not a great swing but great results 

image.png.19632fbc9653a69e8fdba2457fe1a9f2.png

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

I am very pro 7 wood. I love that club. The 21 degree UW as others have said is another great option..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Long time 7w devotee, going back to the true OG Heaven Wood in the early 1990s!

Like others in this thread, I can match up fairway woods from 4w on down to similar total distances with hybrids. The difference for me is each fairway wood is consistently more carry and higher trajectory. Currently carrying a 5w turned down to a 16.5 degree 4w and a 7w. I fully intend to add a 9w this year too. 🙂

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

10 hours ago, gsrjc said:

What 9 wood did you get?

After much trial and error I ended up with late 90's Big Bertha Warbird 7 and 9 woods. For some reason even though they are smaller than current fairway woods I hit them well, much like the size of most current hybrids. They are both 1/2" shorter than standard. The 20 deg 7 wood is 41.5" and the 24 deg. 9 wood is 40.5".

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

"should I replace the 4H with a 7W? I’d appreciate everyone’s opinion particularly those that have the 3W/5W/7W setup. How do you like it? Thanks a lot! "

The simplest answer is to hit them both head to head and see how they play for you.

But sounds like you were looking for general experiences.

Since you have an 18º 5 wood that you enjoy a 21º wood with the appropriate shaft would probably work great.
For me I've found woods tend to be better out of the long rough than hybrids.

Realistically I'd examine the SHAFTs in your current 5wd and current 4hybrid to see how each fit you and react to the how you're swinging them. It's most likely the combination of those 2 that are effecting your like or love of them. 

7 woods are GREAT but 4Hybrids are often EASIER and more accurate.

Let us know!

On 3/12/2022 at 8:38 PM, R.Patrick said:

What type shafts is everyone playing in their 7W?  Low launch?  I assume you don't really want any help getting the ball up with 21* of loft on the head....

I have a Fujikura Atmos Red 6 from Monark Golf. It is mid launch plus the head is an older design that doesn't have a low cg so the end result is a medium high flight that will release.

Notes:

23 hours ago, JAMH03 said:

7 woods are GREAT but 4Hybrids are often EASIER and more accurate.

From what I can tell it depends on the particular golfer. For example, I have tried various hybrids and I hook them, which is common for some players.

The difference is woods have a shaft that is 1.25" to 1.5" inches longer than hybrids of a comparable loft. The shorter  hybrid shaft probably makes it easier to hit straighter for many people. In my own case I can deal with the inaccuracy because I hook my fairway woods less. Also, I use them frequently off the tee as well as I don't use a driver (3,7,9), so I have a certain level of confidence that helps.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

I've been playing a 7 wood since before it was cool. :classic_laugh: But seriously I am a major lofted-wood evangelist. They are so much fun to hit, great from the fairway and rough, versatile in terms of distances. Only drawback is their performance on super windy days.

I always play with a strong 3-wood or mini driver as my second tee option, so for the past 7-8 years I have been going something like: 13.5 / 16.5 / 21.0 with my current lofts set at: 12.75 / 16.50 / 20.25.

Check out the bag of Miguel Angel Jimanez, one of the great fairway wood players of all time, who always carries a 3w/5w/7w setup in his Ping clubs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 17.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 25.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

I'm carrying a Rogue Heavenwood on the stock shaft. I really like it. 

The Heavenwood differs from a typical 7 wood in that it's on a 4-wood shaft and has a slightly higher head weight to make it feel right.

It's a really easy club to hit from the fairway. It really gets the ball up in the air, but with the longer shaft it will move it down the fairway as well. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I had the tsi2 7 wood and it was so easy to hit!  You’ll want to get the right shaft and weight as I noticed i would launch a few way too high w/ more spin than I would care for.  I opted to try the 19 degree Callaway UW in my bag and it’s been game changing.  Just as easy to hit with the appropriate spin given the situation (tee/fairway/rough).  

On 3/13/2022 at 7:15 PM, R.Patrick said:

25yds of roll out of a 7w?  

Like I said, not a great swing😄

I really struggle indoors on a sim. A couple days later on the driving range was hitting really nice, high shots with soft landings.

I have the loft on the big minus, probably going to ditch my 5 wood & just carry this one.

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

On 3/11/2022 at 10:18 PM, R5Two said:

I went from 3w 5w to 3HL (4W) and 7w. 7w is a great club for me it landed right in the middle of the 3H and 5w. Closer to 3H distance but launches extremely high and comes down at a much steeper angle. On the Sim I was hitting it about 230-245. Perfect for me. 

230-240 carry is the exact range I’m trying to find with a 5 or 7 wood.  I am also going from a 15 degree 3 wood to a 16.5 HL 3 wood which I’ll have in the next couple of weeks.  My Mavrik 5 wood is 18 degrees and it’s a great club but with flushed full swings it’s just too close to my 3 wood to properly gap from 3w to my 4 iron.

I can’t find anywhere near me that has 7 wood heads in stock with non senior flex shafts so I haven’t been able to test anything out.  I want to pull the trigger on a 7 wood but I don’t know if I’ll be able to carry it as far as I want.

What 7 wood do you use and loft?  Do you know how far you carry your 3 wood HL?  

1 hour ago, 5yddraw said:

What 7 wood do you use and loft?  Do you know how far you carry your 3 wood HL?  

@CantPutt9 will hook you up! Callaway Rogue ST Max, 21° 7 wood. I hit that about 225-235 today (first time outside) I hit the 3HL off a short tee and it was going 260-270 carry. Couple got really far out there but that was me fooling around. 

I am a big swinger but I have gained distance with the 3HL. I think the added loft has me hitting it straighter and launching a little higher. I need more time with it and I can update but we have that Top Golf Range installed so it's pretty accurate. I won't swing that hard all the time I was just excited as it was beautiful today but I am loving a 7w 3HL combo. 

15 minutes ago, R5Two said:

@CantPutt9 will hook you up! Callaway Rogue ST Max, 21° 7 wood. I hit that about 225-235 today (first time outside) I hit the 3HL off a short tee and it was going 260-270 carry. Couple got really far out there but that was me fooling around. 

I am a big swinger but I have gained distance with the 3HL. I think the added loft has me hitting it straighter and launching a little higher. I need more time with it and I can update but we have that Top Golf Range installed so it's pretty accurate. I won't swing that hard all the time I was just excited as it was beautiful today but I am loving a 7w 3HL combo. 

I’m currently gaming a 13.5 degree 3W and an 18 degree 5W. Wondering if going with a 21 degree 7W lofted up to 22.5 degrees would be enough of a gap to justify replacing my 22 degree 4H. Thoughts?