Ecco sizing compared to a few years ago

Anyone know if the sizing has changed for Ecco shoes over the past five years? Used to be an Ecco guy but I was foolish and went fashion forward over the last few years. As I reach 50 It’s time to listen to my body and get back to comfort. Thinking about picking up a pair of the new Biom C4 and want to make sure the sizing is what I remember. 

Many thanks

Chris-P

I haven’t noticed any changes. Been wearing their golf and dress shoes for maybe ten years. Just got a pair of the S3’s that felt tight at first, so I removed the insert. After wearing them a couple of rounds they settled in nicely so I could put the insert back. Some models aren’t as wide as others (bioms seem wider than S3’s to me).  Great shoes but just a little heavy and not as cushioned as some other brands (adidas boost). The shoe shape last of Ecco just fits me better. 

The BIOM Hybrid 3's were perfect for me. I tried the newer H4 and the C4 but they just had a much different fit for me. A bit more narrow for the most part but also felt like I was up much higher. Wanted to love them so bad because they look a million times better but comfort comes first. I don't know how I feel about the removable insole for extra-width. I certainly helps but completely takes away the comfort of the shoe.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, crp709 said:

Anyone know if the sizing has changed for Ecco shoes over the past five years? Used to be an Ecco guy but I was foolish and went fashion forward over the last few years. As I reach 50 It’s time to listen to my body and get back to comfort. Thinking about picking up a pair of the new Biom C4 and want to make sure the sizing is what I remember. 

Many thanks

Any shoe with "Biom" in the name is going to fit very differently than the typical Ecco golf shoes from a decade ago. But it's not that the sizing changed, they just use a very different last. Less volume in the forefoot, not as extreme narrow heel/wide toe taper as older Ecco models. Slightly different curve to the shape.

I can't actually stand to wear any of the Biom versions but a Biom in size 47 is my correct size. My old Cage Pros are 47 as were the Ecco street shoes I wore for many years. So I'm pretty sure a 47 in 2022 is the same as a 47 in 2002 or 2012. The shape of the Biom is nothing like your father's Eccos, though!

Edited by North Butte

I wear nothing but Ecco for golf or street; I haven’t noticed any changes.  In fact, I typically don’t even try them on in the store; they’ve been that consistent over the years.

The only Ecco I’ve ever worn that wasn’t this way was the original Street casual golf shoe that Freddie Couples made famous. Those last on those shoes were just different than any other Ecco before or since; they fit more like a Nike or a FJ. 

31 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Any shoe with "Biom" in the name is going to fit very differently than the typical Ecco golf shoes from a decade ago. But it's not that the sizing changed, they just use a very different last. Less volume in the forefoot, not as extreme narrow heel/wide toe taper as older Ecco models. Slightly different curve to the shape.

I can't actually stand to wear any of the Biom versions but a Biom in size 47 is my correct size. My old Cage Pros are 47 as were the Ecco street shoes I wore for many years. So I'm pretty sure a 47 in 2022 is the same as a 47 in 2002 or 2012. The shape of the Biom is nothing like your father's Eccos, though!

I was an Ecco guy for many years, but either the shoes changed or my feet changed.  Caveat that I'm a 12 E to EE, but even with the insole removed for added width, the last 2 pairs I had were tighter across the toebox than before.  

The change was enough where I didn't purchase a pair for this summer, as I had done for the last 10+ years.  Using trail running shoes (afternoon rounds) and Sqairz (morning rounds) this year.  

Edited by OnTheBag

24 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

I was an Ecco guy for many years, but either the shoes changed or my feet changed.  Caveat that I'm a 12 E to EE, but even with the insole removed for added width, the last 2 pairs I had were tighter across the toebox than before.  

The change was enough where I didn't purchase a pair for this summer, as I had done for the last 10+ years.  Using trail running shoes (afternoon rounds) and Sqairz (morning rounds) this year.  

Yes, I've had to abandon them too. For me it's not that they are narrower across the toes (although I think they are) it's that the top-bottom thickness of the toebox has gotten much shallower. I have high arches and really thick (not to say fat 😉) feet. There's just not enough room in there no matter what width or size I try. 

• Like 1

They seem narrower in the toe than in the past. And heavier. 

I just bought a pair of Olu Kai and they fit more like the old Eccos- wide in the toe box. The arch support on the Olu Kai is moderate as compared to the old Eccos but it's adequate.  The Olu Kai seems to run a half size smaller than Ecco. A 12 in the Olu Kai is the 45 in Ecco. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I used to wear Eccos, as they pretty much fit my duck feet, but last pair definitely seemed much tighter in toe box than prior pairs...

True Linkswear have, or had, a nice wide toe box.  Can't speak for current models as I stocked up on Sensei when they were discontinued (best hot weather shoes I've ever had) but those were about perfect without having to find "Wide" sizes.

My latest 'find' are Sqairz, just silly comfortable and fit great.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

6 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

The BIOM Hybrid 3's were perfect for me. I tried the newer H4 and the C4 but they just had a much different fit for me. A bit more narrow for the most part but also felt like I was up much higher. Wanted to love them so bad because they look a million times better but comfort comes first. I don't know how I feel about the removable insole for extra-width. I certainly helps but completely takes away the comfort of the shoe.

Exact same experience here. Have always loved Eccos but have not been able to find a recent release that fit like they used to. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

23 hours ago, North Butte said:

Yes, I've had to abandon them too. For me it's not that they are narrower across the toes (although I think they are) it's that the top-bottom thickness of the toebox has gotten much shallower. I have high arches and really thick (not to say fat 😉) feet. There's just not enough room in there no matter what width or size I try. 

I agree with your description as well.  The toe box is too thin or shallow.

Edited by OnTheBag

On 5/11/2022 at 9:32 AM, OnTheBag said:

I found the same thing with the Biom 3 model. Tried bothe the 43 and 44 size and they were unwearable. I have gone back to my original Biom model and am looking for a new shoe, probably go with Trues.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I have the S-three and Biom H4.  Two of the most comfortable golf shoes I've had owned.  Yes, they are pricey but worth every penny.  My ball striking with irons has improved considerably as well this year.  My uncle who's a podiatrist once told me to always invest in good shoes to prevent possible ankle, knee and lower back problems.  As far as sizing goes, Ecco hasn't changed it recently. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I have two pair of Biom G3 in 44 that fit perfect, I tried on the new H4 tonight and they ran big, the 43 with the width insole removed fit perfect

Edited by PixlPutterman

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, OnTheBag said:

I agree with your description as well.  The toe box is too thin or shallow.

For whatever reason I prefer a shallower height toe box that’s flexible (knit) or Ecco’s very soft leather. Helps keep my toes down.  I personally get much more rubbing (hammertoe issues) on the tall/firm shoes (footjoy or even some adidas). Just wish Ecco’s were softer and lighter. 

Went ahead an pulled the trigger on the C4. Construction and materials are top notch. Was able to wear them for a riding 18 this weekend and comfort seems to be comparable to my last pair. As you can see though they are just a touch longer and the last is slightly different.  Hopefully will be able to do some walking this week. 

74EAADB6-BFA5-4655-AC36-BBD9DB87FB36.jpeg

Chris-P

As good of a golf shoe Ecco's are, their sizing has always been very confusing. They use European sizing which is fine but in my many years of wearing their golf and regular shoes, I find their sizing does not match U S shoe sizes. I wear a 10.5-11 shoe and purchase a 43-44 size in Ecco. According to Ecco shoe sizing chart, a men's 44 is equivalent to a U S size 10/10.5. A 43 is equivalent to a U S size 9/9.5.  This is not accurate but they never have addressed this. 

• Like 1

I find they fit varies from model to model, even within the Biom family. I had similar issues with tightness but after 2-3 wearings they totally broke in and fit perfectly now. I’ve even added orthotics my doctor suggested and they’re nearly impossible in dress shoes because of the thickness but are perfect in my Ecco golf shoes. 

• 1 year later...

I used to LOVE Ecco golf shoes..play 4x/week, almost always walking, would go through about 3-4 pairs/season. Then, around the start of the Pandemic, they clearly went cheap on the quality, parts of the shoe quickly deteriorating- especially in areas around lacing- so switched to other brands. Tried some out again last year and it appears they were making them solid again- have gone through a few pairs & just bought more. Unfortunately, they've tinkered with the sizing. They're suddenly making the toe area MUCH larger than they used to- both in width and length. Its almost like they've added a square toe area- maybe a fad with a few lines of shoes for guys with odd shaped feet, but certainly not anything most of us want.  I've always been a size 45, the entire shoe fitting perfectly. Not anymore. The 44 is far too snug through the middle of the foot, the 45 is good in the middle of the foot but the toe section is seemingly 2 sizes too large. It folds/collapses as you walk. Took some that I bought online to an Ecco store- which Ecco says you can bring them to for return. The salesguy gave me a hard time for not buying from him. Really?!? He asked "Why didn't you buy them here- have you had a bad experience in our store?" Yes. It takes me 30' each way to drive there to listen to a pushy salesguy on commission, you don't have my style/size half the time and your prices are rarely as good as from Ecco directly. Then he tells me that "they don't make Eccos to fit toes"- they fit the center of the foot. That's nice. I walk 5-6 miles every time I play, you can take your overpriced shoes made in China that have 1.5" too much space in the toes and put them you know where. All done with Ecco, especially with their goofy litle stores.

Huge ECCO shoes fan here.

I wear a size 12 in most shoes and wear a size 45 in ECCO.  Their website says size 45 is same as 11/11.5 mens. 

I always say if you are debating between sizes with ECCO, go with the smaller one.  Initially, it will feel tight.  It will break in and feel awesome.

Best of luck with your ECCOs!

• Like 1

Golf Gains X

• CALLAWAY Epic Max LS 9°
  • CALLAWAY Epic Max 5W
  • Cleveland Mashie 18°
  • Wilson Staff Model CB 4-PW
  • LAZRUS V-Milled 52°, 56°, 60°
  • Odyssey White Hot OG 2-Ball
  • K-Sig V3