Best rangefinder out right now?

I had a v3 bushnell. Thought I’d give the precision pro RGC version or NX9 slope a try.  It’s been good.  Only thing I miss is I’d prefer a red display instead of black but for the money it’s been great.   It died on me and PP replaced it.  

my golf partners v5 shift got moisture in the lens and they offered a 25% off a new one.  It’s less than a year old.  He is not happy.  

seems like it’s a crap shoot with any of these anymore and the customer service rep you get that day.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

15 hours ago, Minarets said:

I had a v3 bushnell. Thought I’d give the precision pro RGC version or NX9 slope a try.  It’s been good.  Only thing I miss is I’d prefer a red display instead of black but for the money it’s been great.   It died on me and PP replaced it.  

my golf partners v5 shift got moisture in the lens and they offered a 25% off a new one.  It’s less than a year old.  He is not happy.  

seems like it’s a crap shoot with any of these anymore and the customer service rep you get that day.  

That is one thing I mentioned in my PP experience with the R1. I explained to them in about 3 sentences what I didnt like and they sent a return label and refunded me without any issues whatsoever. That goes a long way for a lot of people.

They are also quite active in these forums.

Edited by TomBomb51
  • Like 1

I like golf. A lot.

I swear i'm never buying another nice range finder again!   Lost my 2 week old Blue Tees on the course yesterday.   Didn't leave it on the cart, actuallly laid it down in the fairway and obviously walked off without it.    Totally my fault, but I hope there is a special place in golf hell for the SOB's that came behind me and didn't come up and ask us if left it or turn it in!  

This is the 2nd one I've lost this year!! 

I'm going back to eyeballing....ha 

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I have an old Nikon rangefinder that I got 18+ years ago--just before Nikon started making the Callaway rangefinders. It is all beat up on the outside. I've dropped it, stepped on it, played in the rain, snow hail, and it still is fast, accurate, bright and clear. it is the single best piece of golf gear I've ever bought. I was given a Leupold top of the line rangefinder a few years ago as a tee gift. It can't compare to my 18 year old Nikon. Actually, Leupold had to replace this unit and it still gives me bad numbers several times a round.

I've also had a couple of Bushnells that were okay, but nothing can compare to the Nikon I've had. I would never get anything but a Nikon again.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

cruel joke carolina golfer.  I'm kidding. 

I've had an old bushnell v2 for over 10 years.  Lost it at one point, someone returned it.  I found a nicer bushnell another time and returned it.  

Lol.  But funny as hell.  Well played 👏

Vokey

14 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I swear i'm never buying another nice range finder again!   Lost my 2 week old Blue Tees on the course yesterday.   Didn't leave it on the cart, actuallly laid it down in the fairway and obviously walked off without it.    Totally my fault, but I hope there is a special place in golf hell for the SOB's that came behind me and didn't come up and ask us if left it or turn it in!  

This is the 2nd one I've lost this year!! 

I'm going back to eyeballing....ha 

I recommend a rangefinder with a ‘find my’ feature or figure out a way to attach a Tile/Airtag/Chipolo to the range finder. Then you can go back to last known location. Also, it’s a deterrent to anyone thinking of pocketing it. I’m really good at leaving my rangefinders in the cart, especially now that magnets are a thing. I had a Chipolo on my XE for a while and it always found it’s way home. For whatever reason I got annoyed with the Chipolo because it was bulky and took it off and swore to myself I’d be extra special careful about checking the cart at end of round. I was a fool and the next time I left it on the cart… sionayra!

I now have a Z82. Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment spending that much money again but it does have built in ‘find my’ feature and no magnet to entice me to stick it on the roof post and forget it. I believe the R1 has this feature built in as well. Now I just have to remember to turn the app on before each round!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GolfCsty said:

I recommend a rangefinder with a ‘find my’ feature or figure out a way to attach a Tile/Airtag/Chipolo to the range finder. Then you can go back to last known location. Also, it’s a deterrent to anyone thinking of pocketing it. I’m really good at leaving my rangefinders in the cart, especially now that magnets are a thing. I had a Chipolo on my XE for a while and it always found it’s way home. For whatever reason I got annoyed with the Chipolo because it was bulky and took it off and swore to myself I’d be extra special careful about checking the cart at end of round. I was a fool and the next time I left it on the cart… sionayra!

I now have a Z82. Maybe I’m a glutton for punishment spending that much money again but it does have built in ‘find my’ feature and no magnet to entice me to stick it on the roof post and forget it. I believe the R1 has this feature built in as well. Now I just have to remember to turn the app on before each round!

Man. Thanks for letting me know I’m not the only one who is a multiple loser …ha

The one I lost earlier in the year was the R1 🤦. I guess I didn’t know it had that feature.

i like the Air Tag idea. I have one on my wallet after losing it twice in a year..fortunately got it back the 2nd time.   

I had thought seriously about the Z82 but Obviously I am concerned about losing it.  Good to know on the find me feature on it. 

Funny about the magnet.  I even started putting it on the rear rail right by my bag thinking that would keep me from forgetting it.  Then I go and leave it in a fairway .  

I play 90% of my golf at the course where I work.  So using the air tags should make it easy to retrieve.  

• Thanks 1

Vokey

The thought has occurred to me watching these guys on YouTube who film themselves playing golf. If I tried that, between the clubs, the cameras, tripods, rangefinders, maybe even a drone doing that stuff would probably cost me five grand a year in lost/forgotten/broken gear. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

i like the Air Tag idea. I have one on my wallet after losing it twice in a year..fortunately got it back the 2nd time.

I’m considering an AirTag for redundancy on my Z82. I use an iPhone so, I’m assuming, if I get an AirTag I won’t have to worry about turning on the Garmin app because I’m quite sure I’ll eventually forget to turn the Garmin app on. 

Also, as convenient as magnet is during the round it’s a ticking time bomb for folks like us. Without fail we will eventually leave it on the cart. 

Edited by GolfCsty
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GolfCsty said:

I have the V5 slope with bite and left mine stuck on the bar on the cart twice. Lucky enough to get it back each time. I'm going to start leaving the case in the cubby as a reminder(I normally don't use the case), as I always check there before I leave. The Chipolo/GPS is a good idea, I'll do that too. I only ride maybe 25% of rounds.

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

2 hours ago, chinaski said:

I have the V5 slope with bite and left mine stuck on the bar on the cart twice. Lucky enough to get it back each time.

I have a Bushnell Phantom that I attach to the cart.    Yesterday I forgot it and the course owner chased me down before I left.   I'm going to start leaving my car keys in the case I purchased for it.    I place my range finder in a cup holder.  

• Like 1

I have a Nikon Coolshot Pro 2 Stabilized.  Since this is my first rangefinder I read a lot of reviews and tried several brands including Bushnell, Callaway, etc.  For me the Nikon was easy to use, the optics were superb and the stabilization feature was a plus.  I have used for about 10 rounds and I have no regrets.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

There is a Sig Sauer (SOK10001) range finder on Amazon for a whopping $160. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Before anyone says so, yeah I’m playing to a 25 right now…..but I play with one arm, and lay up distances are much more important than they used to be.  

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 6/10/2022 at 12:15 PM, GolfCsty said:

I’m considering an AirTag for redundancy on my Z82. I use an iPhone so, I’m assuming, if I get an AirTag I won’t have to worry about turning on the Garmin app because I’m quite sure I’ll eventually forget to turn the Garmin app on. 

Also, as convenient as magnet is during the round it’s a ticking time bomb for folks like us. Without fail we will eventually leave it on the cart. 

On 6/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, chinaski said:

I have the V5 slope with bite and left mine stuck on the bar on the cart twice. Lucky enough to get it back each time. I'm going to start leaving the case in the cubby as a reminder(I normally don't use the case), as I always check there before I leave. The Chipolo/GPS is a good idea, I'll do that too. I only ride maybe 25% of rounds.

On 6/10/2022 at 3:06 PM, DennyJones said:

I have a Bushnell Phantom that I attach to the cart.    Yesterday I forgot it and the course owner chased me down before I left.   I'm going to start leaving my car keys in the case I purchased for it.    I place my range finder in a cup holder.  

So I have to share something, I'm not as big of an idiot as I thought, just a minor one.   

I was going through my last roud with that rangefinder, and while I definitely recall puttng it on the ground as I hit my approach on the 17th hole.   I also remembered, that I put the case for the Blue Tees on the strap that hold the cart bag in, so I actually had to take the case off the strap before removing my bag.    I would have certainly ntoiced an empty case when I unloaed near my office (i work at a course and keep my clubs in my office).   So I got to thinking again.

Then I remembered that I took my carry bag out for a few quick holes the next day to try out a few shots with the new Forged Tec X irons, and of course wanted to take the range finder to get distances.   So sure enough, I double checked that bag, and it was at the bottom of one of the apparell pockets! 

It was like finding a $300 bill in and old pair of jeans...ha   

I will still give serious thought to the air tags, though.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Vokey

I do keep an AirTag in my golf bag for flying with it.  I found out the hard way that when you check your golf bag they don’t scan it in.  It’s only scanned in where it’s received.  So if they were to put your golf bag on the wrong flight, they won’t be able to tell you where that bag is located until it’s been scanned in at it’s location.  

on a flight to San Antonio (a direct mind you) they put my clubs on a flight to KC and couldn’t tell me where they were until the next day when they showed up.   So o got an AirTag for that.   

• Like 3

Glad I decided to read this about all the options.  I currently have a Precision Pro NX7 Pro and over the last 2 weeks and over 200 holes, I am done with it.  I contacted PP about it not picking up a flag and was offered a 30% of discount on a new one.  I don't have many options since it's 3 years old and only has a 2 year warranty.

I am looking at the following just need to try them in person:

Bushnell Pro XE

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

Nikon Pro Shot II

Blue Tees S3 Max

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

I do keep an AirTag in my golf bag for flying with it.  I found out the hard way that when you check your golf bag they don’t scan it in.  It’s only scanned in where it’s received.  So if they were to put your golf bag on the wrong flight, they won’t be able to tell you where that bag is located until it’s been scanned in at it’s location.  

on a flight to San Antonio (a direct mind you) they put my clubs on a flight to KC and couldn’t tell me where they were until the next day when they showed up.   So o got an AirTag for that.   

Reminds me of the old joke:

Customer at Ariline Checkin:  I'm going to Boston, but I want this bag sent to Tampa, this one to Topeka, and lastly this one to Portland.

Agent: Sir we can't do that!

Customer: Why not you did it last week 🙂   BaDa Boom! 

Vokey

2 hours ago, mikewohlwend said:

Glad I decided to read this about all the options.  I currently have a Precision Pro NX7 Pro and over the last 2 weeks and over 200 holes, I am done with it.  I contacted PP about it not picking up a flag and was offered a 30% of discount on a new one.  I don't have many options since it's 3 years old and only has a 2 year warranty.

Bushnell Pro XE

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

Nikon Pro Shot II

Blue Tees S3 Max

I have a PP NX9 slope.  They relaxed mine when it stopped picking up a flag but it was only a few months old.  My next one will likely be Nikon coolshot pro stabilized.   I would have bought one now if Costco still had them.  Mine does not and it was never an online sale. I’m sure they were just blowing thru old inventory for the Pro Shot II

• Like 1

I know most companies make good Rangefinders now a days. I have had A bunch but so far this has been the best. The optics on Cobalt are awesome and it’s been great. And they have a Father’s Day special going on. 
https://cobalt-golf.com/

• Like 1

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

16 hours ago, gmyers22 said:

I know most companies make good Rangefinders now a days. I have had A bunch but so far this has been the best. The optics on Cobalt are awesome and it’s been great. And they have a Father’s Day special going on. 
https://cobalt-golf.com/

How’s it if you shake a little when using?  Do you find not displaying actual and slope adjusted yardages problematic?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

How’s it if you shake a little when using?  Do you find not displaying actual and slope adjusted yardages problematic?  Thanks.

It has been no problem for me so far. I also take Caddies quite a bit and they have had no problem locking on to pins with it. It also has a jolt when locked on. 
if you use slope it is really easy to switch back and forth. 
100% satisfied so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

Overall, I agree with many, the Nikons are very good.  Leupold has become a joke.  For that price I expect it to last many years, but you will be lucky to get 18 months before the readout starts fading and edges of your view get all wonky.

For midrange and portability if you like to walk, I have been having a great experience with the Golf Buddy Aim L10.  It's fast and small; 2+ years later works as good as the first day.

I did give Blue Tees a try; it's pretty low quality.  I have bought some golf products over the years that turned out to be duds and usually they find themselves in a box or given away.  The Blue Tees product was so bad, I actually took the time to return it!  It was so slow.  

On 6/13/2022 at 11:25 AM, Minarets said:

Coincidentally I had a direct flight to San Antonio earlier this week and they didn’t load my clubs on the flight. The air tag in my golf bag confirmed they were still in the originating airport as I claimed my regular luggage in San Antonio. 

• Sad 1

On 6/13/2022 at 1:20 PM, mikewohlwend said:

Bushnell Pro XE

Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

Nikon Pro Shot II

Blue Tees S3 Max

In a similar situation. My Leupold and Bushnell rangefinders both stink as they consistently fail to lock onto flags/flagsticks. Heck, my CaddyTek rangefinder from Costco is better than those from the “premium brands”.

Surely there is a rangefinder currently on the market that can reliably lock onto desired targets?