PXG Gen 5 Driver Users/Reviews? X or Xf Model?

avidgolfer23

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought one yesterday after a fitting session at my club.  Didn’t think it would beat my gamer, but I picked up 5-6 MPH ball speed with it, dispersion was pretty close to the same.  Currently playing a Callaway Epic Speed driver.  At $299, seemed like a reasonable price for the improvement.  Driver head felt good, not too loud, pretty similar to my Callaway.  Let me know if you have specific questions about it.  I’ll get the club in about a week.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

2 hours ago, 596 said:

All I can say is the older Gen 2 XF kicked my Ping G400 Max clean out of the house.  I sold it!  

If I was to replace my XF I'd be all over the Gen5 at 299.

WOW! Thats saying something! 🤯

Some say the G400 Max is the GOAT I'm curious to hear what the guys that are hitting the Gen 5's will say? if they dont mind sahring thier thoughts / findings.

Thanks

I have got a few rounds in with my gen 5 xf 10.5 hzrdus rdx black stiff. I ordered with a 12.5 and 2 2.5 weights so i could put the 12.5 in the rear to most resemble my g400max and i have to say im impressed it looks feels and sounds better and seems more forgiving and distance is equal between the two for me. Now im curious to try the non xf model. 

4 hours ago, pgetzen said:

Just bought one yesterday after a fitting session at my club.  Didn’t think it would beat my gamer, but I picked up 5-6 MPH ball speed with it, dispersion was pretty close to the same.  Currently playing a Callaway Epic Speed driver.  At $299, seemed like a reasonable price for the improvement.  Driver head felt good, not too loud, pretty similar to my Callaway.  Let me know if you have specific questions about it.  I’ll get the club in about a week.

Did you get the XF head? 

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

Should have my XF this week hopefully.  Got it with the HZRDUS black 60 at 45"... I will agree with the post above about the Gen 2 XF, that thing was so good, a better feeling and sounding G400 Max.  Hoping the Gen 5 is comparable and holds up distance wise.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Does anyone know what the stock back weights are for both the xf and standard model?

thanks

Forget it, found it…..two 7.5 gram weights and one 2.5 gram…..

Edited by SCOTT4099
  • Like 1

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

I have a 0311 10.5 with Tensei Raw Blue on the way playing at 45”.
Currently playing a Gen4 0811x with Hzrdus Smoke Green and it’s been better then everything out there so can’t wait to put them head to head. Will def post my findings. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

10 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Should have my XF this week hopefully.  Got it with the HZRDUS black 60 at 45"... I will agree with the post above about the Gen 2 XF, that thing was so good, a better feeling and sounding G400 Max.  Hoping the Gen 5 is comparable and holds up distance wise.

No, I was fitted for the regular Gen 5 head

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

I've had 0311 Gen 5 driver (9 degrees turned to 10.5) for about 2 weeks now and 4 rounds of golf. I also had a chance to hit 0811X Gen4 (7.5 turned to 9 degrees) for a couple months beforehand.

Still adjusting to the new driver (some hot and some cold hits) but my first impression is that it is as advertised in terms of MOI vs. Gen4. IMO it's is indeed slightly more forgiving than Gen4. Feels softer off the face vs. Gen4 but personally I liked Gen4 as it felt more solid off the club face.

Weight adjustments on Gen5 is a gift from heaven for me. I'm a natural lefty swinging right handed who has been fighting nasty slice all my golf life, and this is the first time I don't have set up at address trying to hook (usually end up fading or slicing anyway...) and go with my natural swing with this driver. I played around with the weights and ended up with 15 on the heel side, 7.5 in the back and 2.5 on the toe. FYI I asked for D2 SW and the driver came with 7.5 / 7.5 / 2.5. 45.5 inch RDX smoke black stiff shaft. 

Even if you fitted with PXG, if you're considering buying a Gen5 driver I highly recommend also getting the weights kit and find your optimal setting. The weight distribution and adjustments really work.  

Well I set the weights in my gen5 xf to stock with 7.5s on outside and 2.5 in rear and its hard to believe but I think its more forgiving. First two rounds I went with 12.5 rear and 2.5s outside and the feel was a little better and club seemed more workable but the 7.5s on the outside its just point and shoot and I put some bad swings on it today. 

Any faster swingers compare the 0311 vs the XF? I'm using a gen4X 7.5° and looking to move up to 9° in one of the new models, from online pictures the XF seems very similar in profile to my ol' reliable TS3 with the slightly more shallow face and less aggressive sloping crown. Very intriguing for a forgiveness based driver, in Michael Newtons Video there wasn't much between the two, couple hundreds revs, couple yards

3 rounds under my belt with the 0311 7.5 Kai'li white 60tx. This driver is money pure money. I am going to selling my MAX LS shortly...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

2 hours ago, LUXOR54 said:

Any faster swingers compare the 0311 vs the XF? I'm using a gen4X 7.5° and looking to move up to 9° in one of the new models, from online pictures the XF seems very similar in profile to my ol' reliable TS3 with the slightly more shallow face and less aggressive sloping crown. Very intriguing for a forgiveness based driver, in Michael Newtons Video there wasn't much between the two, couple hundreds revs, couple yards

The xf has more of a ts2 shape. It doesn’t resemble the ts3 to me at all in person

7 minutes ago, Jlb123 said:

The xf has more of a ts2 shape. It doesn’t resemble the ts3 to me at all in person

That's good to know. My only experience is with the gen4 X and the TS3, the 0811X is a lot deeper with a more pronounced crown slope comparatively to the TS3. Hard to tell completely with only pictures online

31 minutes ago, RoyalStr8Flush said:

The $299 promo ending soon with free shipping and 60-day money back guarantee, the only downside would be the return shipping cost if the driver doesn’t work out for you. No brainer to pull the trigger IMO. 

Definitely super tempting.  Would be pretty much a total guess on shaft for me, though, as I haven't even demoed anything lately let alone get fit.

11 minutes ago, postfold said:

Definitely super tempting.  Would be pretty much a total guess on shaft for me, though, as I haven't even demoed anything lately let alone get fit.

Same boat. But when in doubt, I always go for a mid-bend, mid-launch shaft, a blueboard profile, because they fit such a wide range of golfers. They offer a few as stock — the Diamana S-plus in stiff and the Evenflow Riptide CB in regular flex. If I get one I will go with the Diamana. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 8/21/2022 at 5:44 PM, 596 said:

All I can say is the older Gen 2 XF kicked my Ping G400 Max clean out of the house.  I sold it!  

If I was to replace my XF I'd be all over the Gen5 at 299.

Which shafts were you playing in the G400 and now the XF?

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Same boat. But when in doubt, I always go for a mid-bend, mid-launch shaft, a blueboard profile, because they fit such a wide range of golfers. They offer a few as stock — the Diamana S-plus in stiff and the Evenflow Riptide CB in regular flex. If I get one I will go with the Diamana. 

They also offer the Tensei Raw Blue. 

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Same here, and I called and asked for the RDX blue, but no dice.  So I went for the higher lofted head and lower launching shaft.  I like the RDX Smoke line a lot.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

36 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Same here, and I called and asked for the RDX blue, but no dice.  So I went for the higher lofted head and lower launching shaft.  I like the RDX Smoke line a lot.

I play the Smoke RDX Black in my TSi2 7 wood because I felt like a 7 wood has enough loft and doesn’t need help from the shaft and it has been perfect. It feels great and the shots still get plenty of height but they go forward and do not spin up and balloon, so the distance is very reliable. I can count on it. It also never feels loose or boardy. Great shaft. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

I play the Smoke RDX Black in my TSi2 7 wood because I felt like a 7 wood has enough loft and doesn’t need help from the shaft and it has been perfect. It feels great and the shots still get plenty of height but they go forward and do not spin up and balloon, so the distance is very reliable. I can count on it. It also never feels loose or boardy. Great shaft. 

Good to know on the RDX Black, got that in the driver and really liked the feel of it, and flight was good.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Seemore Mini Giant DF

15 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I have tended to like stiff flex shafts that are a little tip-stiff and low torque even though my now-glacial swing speed (probably low 90s) suggests I should do something else.  Will have to look at the options and see if one of them might be a reasonable guess.

I got one fitted recently and have had 1 range session and 2 rounds with it and I can honestly say it is as good as anything else out there. Is it way longer? No. Is it way straighter? For me, yes. I just seem to find the middle of the club way more often with all of the clubs in this set. My longest drives are not any longer, but my average seems to be up just from better quality strikes. And my last 3 drivers have all been fit (last one at TM Kingdom in Georgia), so it is not a fit v. not fit thing.

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 AltaCB 55 stiff, flat setting

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, Tensei Blue 65 stiff, C1 setting

Titleist TSR3 21*, HZRDUS Black 6.0, D1 setting

Titleist TSR3 24* HZRDUS Black 6.0, C1 setting

Titleist T150 5-9, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T
TM Spider Tour for now.......

Ball ProV1x

15 minutes ago, postfold said:

I have tended to like stiff flex shafts that are a little tip-stiff and low torque even though my now-glacial swing speed (probably low 90s) suggests I should do something else.  Will have to look at the options and see if one of them might be a reasonable guess.

Yeah, me too. As others have said, there are sometimes other stock options not listed on the site, but you have to call. Of the ones offered online, I would say the Diamana and the Smoke RDX Black will be the most tip stiff. I don’t typically choose non-stock options as I have a few Graphite Design shafts (AD XC and AD BB) at the house. 

I mentioned this in another thread but I sat in on my buddy’s driver fitting at the Fairfax, Va., location and I was impressed with the job the fitter did. He worked with my friend for an hour with several shafts, sleeve adjustments and weight placements. He ended up in the Diamana S+ and on the course he is hitting it 20 yards longer than his old OTR driver — it was all due to the ability to really tune this driver. It was interesting that in the fitting the changes moved his strike location from heel side to middling it. 

He also needed less weight in the back and more on the front perimeter to get the flight and spin down, and he clearly meshed best with the Diamana, but he also liked the Tensei AV Raw Blue. He was at about 100 MPH, launching it higher than his old gamer and spinning it consistently at 2400-2500 and that was perfect. Loves his Gen 5 7 wood too.