2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

On 2/14/2024 at 10:13 AM, PhilsFanDrew said:

Rory could leave the PGAT and play in the next LIV event and it wouldn't make a difference in TV ratings.  It's not a matter of Rahm, DJ, Phil, Cam Smith, Brooks, Bryson, etc not being a needle movers.  It's a matter of golf viewership as a whole is declining and LIV being a relatively new venture that is broadcasting on a smaller network not known for sports that is in far less households than CBS and NBC.  

It's a false measurement of success or failure to compare LIV viewership to the PGAT.  It would be like declaring the UFL a failure when it doesn't rival the viewership numbers of NFL broadcasts.  

Your post doesn't seem appropriate for what this thread has been allowed to devolve into.  Much too level-headed and reasonable a take.  Good on you though.

The PGAT ratings analysis people have indicated that, outside of Tiger, who is contending has little impact on viewership.  I know on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon I can flip to either cbs or nbc (and sometimes both) and find golf.  I don't think I have CW on my Dish Package (Gen X/Y boundary kid, was Gen Y when it was called that before it got corrupted by the entitled millenials) without connecting it to the internet.  I did download the app though.  But a little to your point, I can't reliably flip the app on on a Saturday afternoon and find LIV always.  They don't have a tournament every weekend like the PGAT does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:34 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

If golf fans are interested then they'd find it.

They currently chase pga coverage en mass around the internet, cable channels and network TV. Yet somehow they can't be inconvenienced to watch LIV via a single app, YouTube or cw? 

It has little to do with visibility & access and everything to do with the product. Simply put, the vast majority of golfers don't like LIV. 

You think people don't want to watch Rahm, DJ, etc. just beacause they're on a different tour?  The current problem with LIV is that the format is stupid.  Their current team play is a facade as it no more than just regular stroke play.  There is no "team" aspect in their current format.  If they threw in some better, more team oriented formats LIV would be much more fun to watch.  And I am not just talking the traditional Ryder cup type formats, which should be included as well. My foursome started playing a format where we play 1v1 on the front nine (match play) and then, on the back, the losers will play eachother and the winners will play eachother. Some innovative, more team oriented formats would make it much better.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Both ways? Or just the guys that jumped to LIV should be able to play PGA Tour whenever they choose?  There are certain qualifications that none of the LIV guys meet to play on the real tour.

Yeah, both ways.  I would love if all the players that want to play in LIV events get to play with whatever qualifications LIV was originally going to do just like I wish LIV players could play in other tournaments that they were entitled to play or qualify for.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pingbling23 said:

Yeah, both ways.  I would love if all the players that want to play in LIV events get to play with whatever qualifications LIV was originally going to do just like I wish LIV players could play in other tournaments that they were entitled to play or qualify for.

Most of these guys left to play LESS golf.  If you believe them anyway. 

And both tours have attendance requirements for members that would make playing both difficult or impossible. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Both ways? Or just the guys that jumped to LIV should be able to play PGA Tour whenever they choose?  There are certain qualifications that none of the LIV guys meet to play on the real tour.

The easiest solution would be just to force these guys pay a fine and whoever was on the initial lawsuit is ineligible for equity in the for profit venture. 

6 hours ago, stinger_gc said:

The easiest solution would be just to force these guys pay a fine and whoever was on the initial lawsuit is ineligible for equity in the for profit venture. 

That and…any PGA Tour player that wishes can play LIV events of his choice.  Or are you just looking for a one way street?

image.jpeg.f565450496f2ade5434eaf5644fd3d13.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

23 hours ago, bekgolf said:

They have been paid to show up, it's quite different than playing for a purse and getting your name out for sponsorship monies.  In my view the guys who go to Liv have given up on competition and are just fulfilling a contract by showing up.

you really want to believe that appearance fees aren’t a thing on the pga tour, don’t you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

11 hours ago, bcjim said:

Most of these guys left to play LESS golf.  If you believe them anyway. 

And both tours have attendance requirements for members that would make playing both difficult or impossible. 

Isnt that a joke? they left to play less golf? Its PGA Tour golf, They arent tarring roofs. They arent over worked and under paid. LIV has 12 events if I counted right, they need to be home for 40 weeks a year instead of 26 or so  a year on the PGAT?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

That and…any PGA Tour player that wishes can play LIV events of his choice.  Or are you just looking for a one way street?

image.jpeg.f565450496f2ade5434eaf5644fd3d13.jpeg

I honestly do not care. If all the top guys played 6 LIV like events, 6 pgat events and the 4 majors that would be awesome. I think the biggest obstacle will be convincing guys like Tiger and Spieth those players should be allowed back on tour. Seems like those 2 are calling all the shots at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2024 at 10:40 AM, bekgolf said:

They have been paid to show up, it's quite different than playing for a purse and getting your name out for sponsorship monies.  In my view the guys who go to Liv have given up on competition and are just fulfilling a contract by showing up.

Just like every other sport in the world. You get paid.

Edited by notsohard
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

Sorry but all of the players that broke the PGA Tour rules and went to the exhibition tour needs to serve at minimum a one year suspension before being allowed to play PGA Tour events again. Mickelson and the other two still unnamed players that helped fund the legal fees for drawing up the bylaws for that tour should be suspended longer. 3 years sounds fair.  Of the players that have publically stated (sometimes more than once) they do not want to come back to the PGA Tour the PGA Tour should grant their wish and ban them in perpetuity. Those players could play any other tour outside of The PGA and DP Tours if they so wish.

Absolutely ridiculous 😂. You’re crazy if you think the PIF would be cool with this

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Problem is the past tense as you used.  They “were” eligible for events but no longer “are”.  They broke their players contract because:

take your pick of reasons

-Greg told them the tour couldn’t ban them

-Greg told them they’d get owgr points

-Greg told them they’d get a way to qualify for majors

-all of the above

I think the lesson is don’t believe a word out of Norman’s mouth 😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't see why any "punishment" couldn't just be that any LIV player wanting to come back to the PGA Tour comes back with zero status.  They can get sponsors invites and Monday qualify, but they can't rely on their past champ status, career money list, or any other exemption.

As we've seen with the LIV players and qualifying for the majors, the golfers who actually care about playing will go through the hoops to do so.  The lazy ones will whine about how unfair it is and stay at LIV.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1