2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno S23 Wedges

lefty1978

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

green is made from concrete?

serious answer, no idea why the BLP thinks there was 4 yards of roll.

numbers look good, especially for some partial wedges. 

but that ball should be ripping back with that much spin. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

Was closer to a full 58 wedge swing for me. Not the type where i am trying to nuke a wedge but a reasonable wedge swing

ah, gotcha. 

and no one should ever nuke a wedge. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

Very happy with them. Great full shot toe forgiveness. Spin is great on partial shots. Short chips I haven’t decided yet but anything with goos clubhead speed spins like crazy. 

love the look and feel too. 

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't seem to find a leading edge picture in any of the media, these do not have the preworn leading edge do they?

From the angles on the mizuno website it appears to be fairly straight (non worn) no matter which grind. Which would be fantastic, I have been fighting with the Callaway's for a while and this may be the time to change them out.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

20 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I can't seem to find a leading edge picture in any of the media, these do not have the preworn leading edge do they?

From the angles on the mizuno website it appears to be fairly straight (non worn) no matter which grind. Which would be fantastic, I have been fighting with the Callaway's for a while and this may be the time to change them out.

They don’t have a pre worn leading edge. 

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I'm really liking the S23s so far. The headshape is an improvement on previous Mizuno wedges and I like the straighter leading edge. Spin is good and feel is very nice too. Not as soft as one might expect, but certainly softer than most other OEM wedges out there. 

I'm thinking of picking up a 50° as a gap wedge replacement, partly because of the extra forgiveness that these offer. 

I’m adjusting to mine and having mixed feelings, mostly good. 

Im shocked but they feel kinda hot? Maybe it’s that they have more middle COG so compared to my vokeys the ball speed is better, but 1/2 and 3/4 shots really wanna go further than expected. Dunno how else to put it. That 75y swing with my SM9 wants to go 85ish and the I feel like I barely have to hit the 54 to get 50y out of it. 

Maybe it’s the swingweight, the vokeys were pretty heavy. 

They are consistent, it’s nothing negative, they are just longer per loft than my vokeys were.

Full swings they are longer too, but that’s an easier adjustment, I just changed my gapping due to my PXGs and they slot in perfectly; no issues there. I LOVE these on full swings. Love. Like a ping glide but with better feel (both good things!). Feels like they go the right distance even when I stray from the center. 

Beautiful in the bag. Patina on the copper sure is attractive. 

Short shot spin is solid. Nothing that blew my doors off; I actually think the SM9 60 spun a tad more FWIW. 

Solid wedges overall, again maybe I’m adjusting some and they may really start to shine when I get more time with them. 

Im satisfied, but would possibly try glide 4.0 or Edison 2.0 if I had to replace. 

In other words, I’m happy with my purchase but not married to them. 

• Like 1

L.A.B Link.1

I just switched out my 56/10 D and 60/10 C T22 wedges  to the S23 in 54/10 S and 60/10 C.   Felt like the DG Tour S400 shafts in the T22 were not helping me on longer swings.  No major other difference in the 60 except that perhaps face is a little harder and ball comes off the face a little quicker?  Still adjusting to delicate green side shots with it. The 54/10 S grind has been a major improvement and becoming one of my fave clubs.   

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I have had my set since February and still love them.  They are spinny, soft and very forgiving.  The feel is amazing and they don't look game improvement at all over the ball.  The black paint in the cavity is starting to chip off but I don't care.  I am only concerned with looks at address position.  When I need 115 yards and pull out my 54 and a toe shot still makes it to the green I am very happy.  

• Like 1

I have been researching these for a few days and please correct me if I have misunderstood some of these basic ideas on Mizuno wedges, the T22 is the more "player" wedge and on the market a bit longer, the S23 is the latest and more help offered in the design and sure looks to pair well with the JPX line.

The T22 appears to have the copper under lay and the S23 does not (not so sure this makes much difference), no one around me stocks the Mizuno wedges so it is not possible to compare them in hand but they don't appear all that different in size and shape from address.

I do love the process of buying new clubs, I wish I was in a bigger Market that had a PGASS or similar. It is not uncommon for me to take a flyer and just buy to try, but wedges get pretty specific and there is no way I have the patience to wait 5-6 weeks for custom.

SLED # 1  35.5

On 5/16/2023 at 7:31 AM, Mahamilto said:

I’m adjusting to mine and having mixed feelings, mostly good. 

Im shocked but they feel kinda hot? Maybe it’s that they have more middle COG so compared to my vokeys the ball speed is better, but 1/2 and 3/4 shots really wanna go further than expected. Dunno how else to put it. That 75y swing with my SM9 wants to go 85ish and the I feel like I barely have to hit the 54 to get 50y out of it. 

Maybe it’s the swingweight, the vokeys were pretty heavy. 

They are consistent, it’s nothing negative, they are just longer per loft than my vokeys were.

Full swings they are longer too, but that’s an easier adjustment, I just changed my gapping due to my PXGs and they slot in perfectly; no issues there. I LOVE these on full swings. Love. Like a ping glide but with better feel (both good things!). Feels like they go the right distance even when I stray from the center. 

Beautiful in the bag. Patina on the copper sure is attractive. 

Short shot spin is solid. Nothing that blew my doors off; I actually think the SM9 60 spun a tad more FWIW. 

Solid wedges overall, again maybe I’m adjusting some and they may really start to shine when I get more time with them. 

Im satisfied, but would possibly try glide 4.0 or Edison 2.0 if I had to replace. 

In other words, I’m happy with my purchase but not married to them. 

I've had a similar experience. Coming off the T22s, these are noticeably longer. Yesterday I actually airmailed a couple of greens from 100 yards out, because I wasn't used to how far these are going.

For me it's a good thing though. I found the T22 woefully lacking in distance (no doubt related to my ball striking) so the S23s are more in line with the distances I need, and would expect, from a wedge, as opposed to them being "hot". 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I have been researching these for a few days and please correct me if I have misunderstood some of these basic ideas on Mizuno wedges, the T22 is the more "player" wedge and on the market a bit longer, the S23 is the latest and more help offered in the design and sure looks to pair well with the JPX line.

The T22 appears to have the copper under lay and the S23 does not (not so sure this makes much difference), no one around me stocks the Mizuno wedges so it is not possible to compare them in hand but they don't appear all that different in size and shape from address.

I do love the process of buying new clubs, I wish I was in a bigger Market that had a PGASS or similar. It is not uncommon for me to take a flyer and just buy to try, but wedges get pretty specific and there is no way I have the patience to wait 5-6 weeks for custom.

That's a good summary of the differences between the two, yes. The S23s are definitely more forgiving when compared with the T22 and have a slightly larger profile, without being too big.

I've played both and for what it's worth, the S23s feel just as good as the T22s, copper underlay or not. 

I could see these wedges pairing well with the vast majority of irons in Mizunos line up. They're less "GI" than, say, a CBX3 but definitely offer substantially more help than the T22, in a relatively sleek profile. Mizuno have found a good balance with these between looks, size, feel and forgiveness. 

• Like 3

Yeah. Not saying the distance is bad. It seems consistent especially in full swings, but I haven’t dialed it in and that’s been suboptimal. 

Miss hits on the vokeys we’re no good,  but I knew how far a 3o’clock/ 1o’clock hand position wedge went off center. 

L.A.B Link.1

On 5/20/2023 at 7:29 AM, MMB1500 said:

That's a good summary of the differences between the two, yes. The S23s are definitely more forgiving when compared with the T22 and have a slightly larger profile, without being too big.

I've played both and for what it's worth, the S23s feel just as good as the T22s, copper underlay or not. 

I could see these wedges pairing well with the vast majority of irons in Mizunos line up. They're less "GI" than, say, a CBX3 but definitely offer substantially more help than the T22, in a relatively sleek profile. Mizuno have found a good balance with these between looks, size, feel and forgiveness. 

Agree on all of this. I currently game CBX zipcores, went to fitting for Mizuno wedges after purchasing HMP iron set in February. Hit both the T22 and S23. Hit both well, but my main miss is usually toe on a full swing and the S23 was much more forgiving on it. Both felt exactly the same to me to be honest. Only thing I wish the S23 had is the Blue ion finish available.

• Like 2

went to the local Golf store which is a small operation and he had the T22 but no S23, the T22 is a nice looking wedge but I am curious about the S23 and the are the same price so tomorrow it is the hour drive to check out the big box stores. 

SLED # 1  35.5

Coming from CBX2, even as a high handicapper and limited experience, the feel from the S23 cannot be ignored.

The head size itself appears a bit smaller in length and not as high near the toe. But the quality of strike I'm getting and the feel that goes along with it is something I never thought I'd experience. 

It was hell waiting so long to get these, but I couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G410 Plus

Hybrid: 2021 Adams Tight Lies 4 hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 7 & 9 iron

Gap Wedge: Mizuno S23 50/8

Sand Wedge: Mizuno S23 56/12

Putter: Cleveland HB Soft Milled #5

Grips: Star Sidewinder 360 mid size

Ball: Titleist TruFeel

Took some searching but I found a 54-10 and a 58-8, popped the grips off and extended the shafts so they match up the the iron lengths until I can get the PX IO 6.5 PW shafts in to do the Howard Jones spinner treatment on them. 

Who knows maybe I will like the KBS 2.0.

SLED # 1  35.5

Love these wedges, great feel off the face and spin like crazy. Not so impressed with the KBS shafts, they seem too flexible compared to the PX IO in my irons. Much better contact around the greens for me compared to the Callaway pre worn Black Plasma. 

Ordered the 6.5 PX IO wedge shafts per the 8 iron spinner thread of Howard Jones. 

SLED # 1  35.5

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, Jim53 said:

Love these wedges, great feel off the face and spin like crazy. Not so impressed with the KBS shafts, they seem too flexible compared to the PX IO in my irons. Much better contact around the greens for me compared to the Callaway pre worn Black Plasma. 

Ordered the 6.5 PX IO wedge shafts per the 8 iron spinner thread of Howard Jones. 

Update on these wedges, I retract my earlier comment and think I am moving on from them.  After many rounds and practice pre round I just cannot nail them down to be consistent, not sure if it is the stiffer, heavier shafts or what but I have never chunked so many shots around the green as I have with the 58. 

The 54 works quite well for 3/4 full swings but again not as automatic as I would like, short game wedge play was my savior for many years and now I have just lost confidence around the greens. 

Could just be the confidence thing is screwing with my brain, but a couple more rounds then off to the scrap bin if things don't improve.

SLED # 1  35.5

• 3 weeks later...

Any more long term reviews on these S23 wedges?

Also how do they look after a few weeks/months? 

Any thoughts on the Copper Cobalt finish…like are these close to Black in person or how does that colour look in-hand?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 7/30/2023 at 9:57 PM, BallerNate said:

Any more long term reviews on these S23 wedges?

Also how do they look after a few weeks/months? 

Any thoughts on the Copper Cobalt finish…like are these close to Black in person or how does that colour look in-hand?

I've had mine since the start of the season, they've held up great. I will say they are a little more susceptible to getting dings on the leading edge compared to harder cast wedges but they don't have anything terribly noticeable. I have the copper cobalt, they are definitely a copper color and not black. I think they are supposed to rust over time but I keep mine cleaned and dried constantly so I haven't had any rust form at all. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lopey986 said:

I've had mine since the start of the season, they've held up great. I will say they are a little more susceptible to getting dings on the leading edge compared to harder cast wedges but they don't have anything terribly noticeable. I have the copper cobalt, they are definitely a copper color and not black. I think they are supposed to rust over time but I keep mine cleaned and dried constantly so I haven't had any rust form at all. 

Awesome, thanks very much for the feedback!

Just checked them out more closely at my local shop yesterday and I think they might be a little too thick to pair with my P770's.

Looks like they would be a better fit with P790, ZX5, Apex etc probably?

Looks like I'll hold out until the Fall and pick up some new MG4's or consider the T24's coming soon.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

6 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Awesome, thanks very much for the feedback!

Just checked them out more closely at my local shop yesterday and I think they might be a little too thick to pair with my P770's.

Looks like they would be a better fit with P790, ZX5, Apex etc probably?

Looks like I'll hold out until the Fall and pick up some new MG4's or consider the T24's coming soon.

IMO it doesn't matter what you pair them with. I'd still rock them with blade irons if they were getting the job.

FTR mine are paired with 223's

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

IMO it doesn't matter what you pair them with. I'd still rock them with blade irons if they were getting the job.

FTR mine are paired with 223's

Good to know. Yeah you're right, you have to use what works best for you for sure.

They're definitely gorgeous clubs for sure. I could still end up picking some up to test...the biggest thing for me would probably be the shafts not being a fit and having to do a custom order. And with a custom order, I'm hearing it could be a 7-8 week wait.

If I'm going to wait that long, the clubs just have to be perfect.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

9 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Good to know. Yeah you're right, you have to use what works best for you for sure.

They're definitely gorgeous clubs for sure. I could still end up picking some up to test...the biggest thing for me would probably be the shafts not being a fit and having to do a custom order. And with a custom order, I'm hearing it could be a 7-8 week wait.

If I'm going to wait that long, the clubs just have to be perfect.

Yeah I 100% ordered matching shafts to my irons (modus 115s) and I waited 7 weeks. The nice part was there was no upcharge for any of my customizations (shafts, grips, shaft length).

• Like 1