What Bubba said

farmer

15 hours ago, smashdn said:

Except for there are plenty who thump their chest (on these forums) that the PGAT has no guaranteed money.  So either they conveniently forget or don't know anything as you say.

There is no guaranteed money for PGA Tour sanctioned events.  As Kisner explained it has nothing to do with the PGA Tour.  

One of Bubba's endorsement deals was with Waste Management.  That's why he used to go to play in the WM-Phoenix Open despite saying he hated the course and wouldn't play there if he wasn't contractually obligated to.  I'd guess that WM pays him extra for tent fees because his endorsement deal is probably just to endorse WM.. 

RH

• Like 2

It's almost a matter of semantics isn't it? A PGA player can't be paid just to show up according to the PGA Tour but if they wear a shirt with a little logo on it or do something in particular they can receive pay for endorsement or sponsor-related activity fees just for showing up and\or playing the event.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ghost of Snead said:

Uh no ... your winnings are dependent on how you finish in the tournaments, not a guaranteed amount paid if you just show up. And the fields are determined by meritocracy - tell us how John Daly could be offered an appearance fee to play in the Tour Championship or Dell Match Play. 

What I said is "the PGAT pays appearance money" and it is true.  EVERYONE in the Tour Championship gets money.  And EVERYONE in the Dell Match Play gets money.  Even if they shoot 100.

They get that money for just showing up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Not true at all.  Check out the Dell Match Play and the Tour Championship.  Both have guaranteed money.

But in both the Dell Match Play and Tour Championship there is a multi event qualification process. During the process, players may not receive prize winnings (cut) or not enough points to qualify. But once qualified, you are correct each participant will receive money. 

I don’t think it was much of a secret that players would be paid by sponsors, companies, rich people to show up at events to schmooze and show off to clients, friends, whoever, their access to players. IMO, players, like BW, should thank the PGAT for providing a platform where they earned money and fame which, in turn, could be cashed-in for sponsor appearance monies. Just my thoughts though. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 4:17 PM, Golferpaul said:

Not true at all.  Check out the Dell Match Play and the Tour Championship.  Both have guaranteed money.

Incorrect, if you WD from both events (let's say for injury), you don't get $$$$.

RH

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:44 PM, Golferpaul said:

Millions of us would disagree.  

More power to you. 

I want to like Bryson. I really do. I love his willingness to explore different avenues of improvement. Single length irons, goofy putting concepts, chasing speed in the weight room, etc. I admire his curiosity and experimentation. I do believe it moves the sport forward. 

However, the dude is just insufferable. Trash talking Brooks Koepka physique while streaming video games, are you an 17 y/o mean girl? Asking for a free drop for "fire ants"? Yelling at a camera man for capturing your tantrum because it will damage your "brand". I can forgive the whole, "Augusta is a Par 65" as youthful arrogance but the other examples are the actions of a spoiled child. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, Dutch1008 said:

However, the dude is just insufferable. .... Asking for a free drop for "fire ants"? ...

Local Rules

A player’s only hope of relief from ants or an ant hill in a hazard is via a local rule. Decision 33-8/22 notes that certain ant hills are “conical in shape and hard,” in which case a local rule designating such areas as ground under repair may be appropriate. Ground under repair is a type of abnormal ground condition, allowing for relief without penalty.

The USGA decision also suggests that courses offer a local rule permitting relief from areas near fire ant holes. Because fire ant bites are painful and potentially serious, the ants' appearance may be treated as a dangerous situation, allowing free relief pursuant to Decision 1-4/10.

8 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

Local Rules

A player’s only hope of relief from ants or an ant hill in a hazard is via a local rule. Decision 33-8/22 notes that certain ant hills are “conical in shape and hard,” in which case a local rule designating such areas as ground under repair may be appropriate. Ground under repair is a type of abnormal ground condition, allowing for relief without penalty.

The USGA decision also suggests that courses offer a local rule permitting relief from areas near fire ant holes. Because fire ant bites are painful and potentially serious, the ants' appearance may be treated as a dangerous situation, allowing free relief pursuant to Decision 1-4/10.

"I just don't see it Bryson"

I understand that a rule exists. But his ball wasn't on an ant hill, nor was his stance impaired by an ant hill. It was a BS excuse to try and get a free drop. He hit a wayward shot and instead of taking his medicine, he went looking for a loophole. That's all fine and dandy when you're messing around with friends on the weekend. But this is a tournament with rules and millions of dollars at stake. You may think this is clever gamesmanship, I think it's a BS rationalization for trying to cheat your competitors.  

9 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

I understand that a rule exists. But his ball wasn't on an ant hill, nor was his stance impaired by an ant hill. It was a BS excuse to try and get a free drop. He hit a wayward shot and instead of taking his medicine, he went looking for a loophole. That's all fine and dandy when you're messing around with friends on the weekend. But this is a tournament with rules and millions of dollars at stake. You may think this is clever gamesmanship, I think it's a BS rationalization for trying to cheat your competitors.  

I don't think it's gamesmanship at all nor do I think he was trying to cheat his competitors.  It's quite normal behavior for pros in a tournament to ask for relief and many times they get it.

Why do you think asking for relief is cheating?

1 hour ago, Golferpaul said:

Why do you think asking for relief is cheating?

I don't. I think there is a difference between honest inquiry and looking for a bailout. I'm of the opinion that this particular situation was the latter. Feel free to disagree. BTW, I don't think Bryson is unique here, just that this was one of the more ridiculous requests. 

On 11/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, Dutch1008 said:

1.  It's not a loophole, it's a golf rule.

2. It's not clever gamesmanship.  It happens all the time on tour.  Players call for an official to ask for relief.  Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.

3. It's not cheating.  It's a golf rule.

8 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

1.  It's not a loophole, it's a golf rule.

2. It's not clever gamesmanship.  It happens all the time on tour.  Players call for an official to ask for relief.  Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.

3. It's not cheating.  It's a golf rule.

You’re correct but I think sometimes the free relief granted is too generous. In pro tournaments, particularly, rulings risk destroying credibility of the Tours. 

One example might serve which is a better example than the farce when Bubba beat Louis for his Masters title though that was a layout issue really.

The incident which I though was farcical concerned the Kerr lady, I think it was at the final hole on the last day, in Asia.

There’s some weird animal out there which, apparently, leaves dangerous droppings lying about. Kerr had a hopeless lie and no chance of reaching the green and the title was still up for grabs. The local rule allowed her to drop so she had a free swing. Fortunately she couldn’t take advantage of it. 

In situations like this, a drop should only be allowed to a similar location or the poo ( or whatever ) should be removable. Otherwise folk would stop watching golf.