2022/23 Player’s Distance Irons

Jmccas

Recently went to the PGASS to hit the i230. It was ok - not much of an improvement over my MP32s. 

The fitter did have me a hit a Ping i525 and I really enjoyed the 10-15 yards of additional yardage. Then he handed me the MP225 and same distance gains with a better feel. 

I’ve been a bit of a forged snob but screw that - next set will be players distance irons. 

What’s everyone gaming and how you liking them? 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I have a set of I525 and and alternating between them and PXG GEN 5 P/T combo set.  From a pure feel standpoint PXG wins. And when U hit them well they feel great. But the I525s are easy to hit, feel pretty good, forgive and as you said are long.  I hit more greens in regulation with the Pings and right now am leaning towards them. Have 45

days to return PXG for full refund and will give it more time before deciding.  Good luck with your search and decison

I anticipate my next set being players distance. Like @Jmccas so far I’ve found the i230 to just be okay.  I definitely see distance gains with i525 and 225 with the 225 winning on feel. 

The one club that combines long and straight for me is the P790 but I’ve only ever hit the demo. The p790 is a big jump from my MP-18’s. 

I’m very interested in a ZX5/7 combo. Also want to hit JPX 923 Forged. 

Edited by sniper

If you like tighter scoring irons, blending sets is easy now a days. Some are starting to do that more now as a direct set or just have families that are easy to blend. I go 770/790 but could easily game a 770 set fully: the chunkier 790 gives a wee bit more confidence but really isn't longer when you blend the lofts together. 

Don't overlook cobra when demo'ing either: they don't get enough love. So many good clubs out there these days. 

I played the i500s for years and just loved them.  Got the i525s when they came out and they're longer, hit it higher, and honestly the specs on the clubs were all over the planet, I've had to get them adjusted at least 2x and probably need a 3rd as I've had them bent flat 2x and still feel they're too upright compared to my others.

Really considering getting fit for a set of p790s in the off season and just going with them, I LOVE Ping clubs but the i525s were a step backwards in almost every aspect compared to the i500s, at least for me.  If I go p790s this will be the first time in ages I haven't had at least a couple of Ping clubs in the bag, of course thats until the G430 LST comes to the states, I'm not sure how I'll stay away from it...

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Forged is my only option.  It has been that way since taking up golf, until recently, when age and distance began fighting each other.   

It has been hard to maintain distances using more traditionally lofted 620 MBs and 620CBs, so I pulled the trigger on a player's distance forged face T200 2i & 4i, and forged T100s 5-W.   Let's see if the yack is worth it.

Interesting how similar i230 and T200 are. 

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

22 hours ago, Lobber said:

I have a set of I525 and and alternating between them and PXG GEN 5 P/T combo set.  From a pure feel standpoint PXG wins. And when U hit them well they feel great. But the I525s are easy to hit, feel pretty good, forgive and as you said are long.  I hit more greens in regulation with the Pings and right now am leaning towards them. Have 45

days to return PXG for full refund and will give it more time before deciding.  Good luck with your search and decison

I hit the Gen 5 when they were first released but I did not have a good fitting session with the PXG rep so I never really gave them a solid chance.  I liked the looks of the Gen 4 over the Gen 5 though.

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

18 hours ago, sniper said:

I anticipate my next set being players distance. Like @Jmccas so far I’ve found the i230 to just be okay.  I definitely see distance gains with i525 and 225 with the 225 winning on feel. 

The one club that combines long and straight for me is the P790 but I’ve only ever hit the demo. The p790 is a big jump from my MP-18’s. 

I’m very interested in a ZX5/7 combo. Also want to hit JPX 923 Forged. 

I briefly had a set of P790s that I picked up for a great price but sold them as the shaft was not a good fit.  

I would like to consider the ZX5/7 line but I am just too shallow for those irons.  Great looking and feeling irons. 

10 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

If you like tighter scoring irons, blending sets is easy now a days. Some are starting to do that more now as a direct set or just have families that are easy to blend. I go 770/790 but could easily game a 770 set fully: the chunkier 790 gives a wee bit more confidence but really isn't longer when you blend the lofts together. 

Don't overlook cobra when demo'ing either: they don't get enough love. So many good clubs out there these days. 

Really intrigued by the rumors surrounding the P770.  I hit them a while back and thought they were a bit clicky but the performance was remarkable.  I am just gonna have to get over the clickiness aspect. 

I have heard really positive things on Cobra's new irons and they are at the top of the list to test. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jmccas said:

I hit the Gen 5 when they were first released but I did not have a good fitting session with the PXG rep so I never really gave them a solid chance.  I liked the looks of the Gen 4 over the Gen 5 though.

The GEN 5 look and feel great. They perform great too!  When my swing is on nothing is better!  When it’s off the forgiveness of the I525 is appreciated!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jmccas said:

I briefly had a set of P790s that I picked up for a great price but sold them as the shaft was not a good fit.  

I would like to consider the ZX5/7 line but I am just too shallow for those irons.  Great looking and feeling irons. 

I’m a picker so that’s always a concern on the Srixon’s. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Forged is my only option.  It has been that way since taking up golf, until recently, when age and distance began fighting each other.   

It has been hard to maintain distances using more traditionally lofted 620 MBs and 620CBs, so I pulled the trigger on a player's distance forged face T200 2i & 4i, and forged T100s 5-W.   Let's see if the yack is worth it.

Interesting how similar i230 and T200 are. 

From your posts here you seem to be a great ball striker, especially for your age. Jk. Lol. Interested to see how this change make any difference for you. Good luck 👍

I mean it’s cliche, but I really think the current offerings in Player’s distance are too close in performance to not get fit.

I recently had a fit where I hit P790, T200, MP225, JPX923 HMP, Rogue ST Pro, and the ZX5 I currently play.

Surprisingly, P790 gave me the best numbers. The only one I didn’t get along with was the Hot Metal Pro, and I know that it’s a great iron from watching every review and iron comparison video under the sun.

Pretty sure the P790 gave me the best numbers because I hit a spinny cut cause I’m a trash golfer. It cut the spin down.

ultimately I did not upgrade because the improvement was not enough to justify leaving the ZX5. For a 1500 set of TM’s.

MP 225 and ZX5 felt the best

P790, ZX5, and T200 gave me the best smash factor

Dispersion was a wash. I’m sure for better ball strikers it would not be.

I do feel like they are all really good and if you put a gun to my head I would play any of them, but Srixon has a real good mix of feel and performance. And they are cheaper.

I did not get to try Cobra or Wilson, so grain of salt.

Also, I’m shallow (less than 1 degree, no divot) and I like the V sole just fine, I think it’s a myth.

86 mph 7 iron.

good luck!

The Wilson D9 Forged have the best feel of any distance Iron that I have tried (and owned) including the Mizuno Pro 225.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, Brobespierre said:

I mean it’s cliche, but I really think the current offerings in Player’s distance are too close in performance to not get fit.

I recently had a fit where I hit P790, T200, MP225, JPX923 HMP, Rogue ST Pro, and the ZX5 I currently play.

Surprisingly, P790 gave me the best numbers. The only one I didn’t get along with was the Hot Metal Pro, and I know that it’s a great iron from watching every review and iron comparison video under the sun.

Pretty sure the P790 gave me the best numbers because I hit a spinny cut cause I’m a trash golfer. It cut the spin down.

ultimately I did not upgrade because the improvement was not enough to justify leaving the ZX5. For a 1500 set of TM’s.

MP 225 and ZX5 felt the best

P790, ZX5, and T200 gave me the best smash factor

Dispersion was a wash. I’m sure for better ball strikers it would not be.

I do feel like they are all really good and if you put a gun to my head I would play any of them, but Srixon has a real good mix of feel and performance. And they are cheaper.

I did not get to try Cobra or Wilson, so grain of salt.

Also, I’m shallow (less than 1 degree, no divot) and I like the V sole just fine, I think it’s a myth.

86 mph 7 iron.

good luck!

Good info. Will definitely be getting fit.  Interesting about the ZX and your shallow angle of attack. I’m a lower spin player which also steers me away from the ZX line. 

10 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

Do I understand correctly that you are dropping your MP32’s  because the MP225’s (which have less loft) give you more distance?

No, sorry, I don’t think you understand why I will likely move from a blade to a players distance iron if your implication is the distance gains and ball fight characteristics only come from stronger lofts. 

Thinking this year it will be the 225s, coming from PXG Gen 3 0311P.  I’ll hit them both in the sim and pick the winner, but I’m kind of hoping it’s the Mizzys. They just look so good!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

On 11/26/2022 at 7:07 AM, Jmccas said:

No, sorry, I don’t think you understand why I will likely move from a blade to a players distance iron if your implication is the distance gains and ball fight characteristics only come from stronger lofts. 

There is 5* loft difference between MP32 and MP225 7-irons.

It’s pretty hard to ignore the effects of nearly two clubs worth of difference in loft. The construction of the head itself is far more of a factor for retaining speed on mishits.

I played MP32/60 blended irons for about 15 years. They are (to me) pretty high spin heads. Be careful when you move on that you don’t wind up with irons that spin so much less than you’re used to that you wind up hitting knuckleballs. For me the ZX7 fit into that category even after weakening lofts. However, the 0211ST produced great numbers and real life flight and spin I want. In theory they are in the same category but they were way different in real life. 

Specific to Mizuno, the MMC irons are closer to what you’ve been playing and *should* give you a bump in distance and forgiveness. Might be worth comparing against the 225 and taking a single iron of each onto the course to see how they respond into greens.

• Like 1

Little bit of an older model, but the best players distance irons I've ever used is the Callaway Epic Forged. They are super strong lofted, but I just consider my 8i as really my 7i etc. Fantastic look and feel. Probably doesnt help bc a fitter won't have them but I liked them wayyy better than the i525s and HMPs I've owned. Honestly though, I dont score any better with any players distance irons compared to even blades. Sure, I hit it farther, but haven't seen much in scoring difference at all.

Edited by realmfg
  • Like 1

Not a new model but the Honma TW-X irons would be worth looking at. They fit the players distance category you’re looking for. Best irons I’ve used in a long time.

I’d only replace my Honma’s with something like Mizuno 223’s or Miura CB-801’s.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

I've been in a similar conundrum. I'm currently gaming the Mavrik Pros and get along with them really well. But I'd like to get into something with more feel but that still has some help. Honestly though I don't think the Mavriks feel that bad in contrast to some others I've hit. 

Mostly been considering the ZX7, Apex Pro 21 (or 19 for super savings) and then the Titlesit T series.  

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

5 hours ago, bnperrone said:

There is 5* loft difference between MP32 and MP225 7-irons.

It’s pretty hard to ignore the effects of nearly two clubs worth of difference in loft. The construction of the head itself is far more of a factor for retaining speed on mishits.

I played MP32/60 blended irons for about 15 years. They are (to me) pretty high spin heads. Be careful when you move on that you don’t wind up with irons that spin so much less than you’re used to that you wind up hitting knuckleballs. For me the ZX7 fit into that category even after weakening lofts. However, the 0211ST produced great numbers and real life flight and spin I want. In theory they are in the same category but they were way different in real life. 

Specific to Mizuno, the MMC irons are closer to what you’ve been playing and *should* give you a bump in distance and forgiveness. Might be worth comparing against the 225 and taking a single iron of each onto the course to see how they respond into greens.

I am concerned about the low spin nature of PD irons. Hoping right shaft and ball can help mitigate some of that. 

The 0211ST irons look good. I need to go the PXG store in Orlando to do a proper fit with them. 

1 hour ago, puttingmatt said:

Any comments on the  Rouge ST Pro

irons from those that have looked at or purchased. 

I have the ZX5'S, and like them.

I’ve got those on my list to test. They look real good. 

Currently playing the latest (2021) Titleist T100S Irons in standard loft (32* for a 7 iron). They are, in my opinion, the best looking and compact irons. They do offer some punch....maybe not AS forgiving as some other irons in the similar loft category. And now all other clubs' top lines and soles look too big, even irons like the Mizuno Pro 223. Maybe the T100S soles are just extra blade-like small? Anyway, I'd give the T100S a gander and a hit if you're in the market for some player's "distance" irons. Fully forged construction.

• Like 1

WITB:

Woods: Ping G430 LST, Ping G430Max 3w, Ping G430 3Hybrid (20°) / Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (6-GW), T200 (4-5)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: SC Newport 2.5+ 34"

Ball: Titleist Prov1