2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

And another one..... i230 vs ZX7

drvrwdge

For me, i230s launch higher and spin more (and because of that are a touch shorter). i230s are also a little more forgiving in my opinion, but both are very forgiving for this category. Two really terrific irons.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

7 minutes ago, eric61 said:

For me, i230s launch higher and spin more (and because of that are a touch shorter). i230s are also a little more forgiving in my opinion, but both are very forgiving for this category. Two really terrific irons.

Were you testing regular or power spec lofts. I’m assuming regular. Any thoughts on how power spec would do. How about vs zx5. 

Yeah I understand I’m probably splitting hairs here. Another I’m trying to take into consideration is I can get the Modus 130 in the zx7’s and still are $400 less. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

11 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

Yeah I understand I’m probably splitting hairs here. Another I’m trying to take into consideration is I can get the Modus 130 in the zx7’s and still are $400 less. 

Not bad for a one piece Endo forged iron. 

• Like 4

Rogue ST MAX 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX5/7 KBS Tour 110

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

39 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Were you testing regular or power spec lofts. I’m assuming regular. Any thoughts on how power spec would do. How about vs zx5. 

Yeah, regular. I’d assume power specs would even things out a bit. ZX5s are a bit more juiced and more forgiving.

34 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

For sure, if you’re looking for heavier Modus shafts (I love the 130s), Srixon is your best value buy.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered the i230’s. When they arrived they had the wrong shafts and in the meantime I found a combo set of ZX5/7’s in my exact specs for an absolute steal in mint condition. Think I’ve answered my question myself. At least until next season. No real reason to drop $1500 on a set when I’ll probably only play 4-6 times over the next 3-4 months. 

• Like 4

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

On 11/28/2022 at 12:56 PM, drvrwdge said:

Figured i would jump in while the water is still warm.... Anyone able to do a direct comparison on these two?

I'll have both the i230s power spec and new ZX7 MKIIs in hand this week so I might be able to share my 2 cents... lol. Shafts are a bit diff (Modus 105S vs Modus 120S respectively) but close enough. Will be back on this thread if I remember. 

• Like 4

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

No comparison with the zx7 but I did just take the i230 for the first indoor range session. They are great! At least for the first 100yards then it hit the back of the range. They feel really nice as I went though every club in the set 4-UW. I did try some heel and toe miss and felt pretty forgiving. Can’t tell if or how much distance was lost. 
Coming from the MP223 they feel a bit more forgiving not quite as soft. Which you can’t really compare the feel to the Mizuno forged to any cast club. But the i230 felt really solid and sounded very nice also. 
I think I am really gonna like these and will be in the bag for several years.

still think the T22 wedges will be in the bag vs the glide 4.0

Different shape but similar-ish size between the two (ie. not tiny for its category). Comparable forgiveness. i230 spun more than the ZX7. I'd say the ZX7 wins out on feel pretty easily.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

They definitely don't feel the same, but that doesn't mean the i230 doesn't have a good feel --it's just different. ZX7 is hard butter and the i230 has a more powerful sensation. That's what I had heard and that was my experience. If you're a PING guy, the i230s feel much better than the hollow alternatives (way better). Coming from the ZX7s (w/Modus 105 'stiff), I'm kinda excited for the change, because the i230s seemed much more forgiving and consistent on misses (just as advertised). I'm just stuck on shaft selection. FTR, I never had any trouble stopping the ZX7s despite having spin numbers that were low 5,000s and descent angles between 43 and 46 (7 iron; and I play firm greens). In street shoes walking into EW for a quick try of the 1230s,  my 7 iron spin numbers were high-5,000's and my descent angle was 48 (with DG 105 Stiff). BTW, I tested a stock 7 iron that wasn't the right length or lie for me. I'm guessing a different shaft might improve my numbers too? Will some soft stepped MMT 105s do the trick? Anyway, I was sold on the i230s about 10 shots in. For context, my game/ball striking improved over the last 2 years with the ZX7s. No doubt about that. And I'm betting the i230s might give me another boost, because I'm thinking more good shots and better misses are in store for me (pretty convinced of that). 

Edited by SeaIsland
  • Like 3

I'm testing both now. Both sets have the same shafts.  

I'm late to the zx7 party.  I haven't seen a flaw yet.  Addictive feel, great flight, powerful, easy to work both ways and plenty forgiving. V sole is the real deal. Long irons were the surprise here. Really good.    

I've been playing the i210's and didn't see much difference in the i230's besides looks/size. If I didn't make a shaft change recently, I'd be very happy playing the 210's another few years. So the 230's just feel very comfortable for me. Very easy transition with the benefits of an overall better looking club.  

If you play Ping irons long enough, you get used to that amazing distance control. Hard to beat. If the Srixon's can hang there ( too early to tell ) I'll lean that way. I'm high spin, and so far zx7's are helping there, especially on windy days.   

Both are great irons. I trust the results I've always gotten from Ping and was thinking this would be an easy win but it'll be a tough decision.  

Edited by scottaz
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

1 hour ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I’m in ZX7’s now. My issues with them is most likely the shaft. Modus 105x. I’m high spin high launch.  No problem with distance, just a deal breaker in wind. 

Anyways, looking to try the i230’s in a DG120 X100. 

I230s will spin more than zx7, no doubt about it.  The zx7 is about the lowest spinning head in the players iron category.

to get lower than that you might try either a hollow body players distance, or a blade and adjust delivery to suit.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 1

It's going to be a tough choice. Stay with the ZX7s or make the change to the i230s, because frankly, it's been 2 years and I'm a club ho. The ZX7s are terrific clubs.  Someone above mentioned how good the long irons are --and I couldn't agree more. I am fearless with a 4 iron, my long iron gaps are consistent, and I like that. I haven't hit the i230s on grass yet. Will do so on Friday of this week. Frankly, based on my astro turf experience, I expect them to be a bit longer and more forgiving. Would love some shaft help, as I know I can't try some of the best options. So far, the DG 105 Stiff has beaten the few available options on the fitting cart (Elevate 95, PX IO). Can I get more spin and height out of a MMT 95 or 105 or am I going backwards? Would the SF FC 90's be an option (I've heard they're too soft). I've got Modus 105 Stiff in my ZX7s and they're great, but I wouldn't mind a little more height/spin...  figure a mid-80's (SS) with a 7 iron. Someone suggested a 105 soft stepped, and then I heard "why not soft step the 95s?"  What's a ho to do? 

13 hours ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

That 105 stiff should be on the upper end of “mid” launch in my opinion at least. Which isn’t worth much these days lol. 

Your opinion or mid launch?? Lol

• Haha 1

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

On 12/18/2022 at 9:41 PM, stevechooster said:

I'll have both the i230s power spec and new ZX7 MKIIs in hand this week so I might be able to share my 2 cents... lol. Shafts are a bit diff (Modus 105S vs Modus 120S respectively) but close enough. Will be back on this thread if I remember. 

So I have the current ZX7s so comparing to the MkII, not much difference. I don't say that to be a negative Nancy, but rather illustrating comparing any model to the newer model... you don't find too many OEMs making jumps under the hood. For those that have never tried the ZX7 line, lofts are stronger than your typical player's irons. V sole is awesome, particularly for those who take any sort of divot. When you have a center strike, it feels amazing and compensates well for those who are higher spinners than avg. My current ZX7 line saved my a** a few times playing at Torrey Pines last week lol. 

I had i525s earlier in the year so I have some relative experience on what Ping irons feels like, considering they have a hollow like body. The i230 have a much better feel/acoustic that's closer to a P790 than the i525 model IMO because the latter has a loud "clack" acoustic to it. I'm loving the i230s with the forgiveness and overall feel when you center strike one. 

Summary - two models have very different feedback and acoustic on center strikes which I 100% expected. ZX7 MkII has more of your forged butter feel (think T100s) when you catch one. Ping i230 feels more like a softer/muted click with a springy-like face (think P790) but nowhere near the bipolar distance you can experience with a P790. I found i230 to be very consistent because of its design. I ended up selling my MkII set to my bro-in-law as he was looking for a set and I happened to score one from AUS lol. 

Would love to hear what others have to say, particularly those who have access to both sets like me. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

On 12/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, VanTheMan0519 said:

I’m in ZX7’s now. My issues with them is most likely the shaft. Modus 105x. I’m high spin high launch.  No problem with distance, just a deal breaker in wind. 

Power spec the i230 in your shaft… 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 12:27 PM, VanTheMan0519 said:

I am a higher launch, higher spin player. 

have a set of i230 inbound. Power spec with modus 105X shafts. 

have tried the modus 115S in MP223…. Good launch, just a bit too much spin. Especially in the short irons. 

have tried the 115X in irons and is a bit to stiff. It loses that traditional modus feel. But good spin…. Hoping the 105X is just right. Love the modus feel. 

i am also a x100 player…. Love them… but I find that the added weight causes me to press on it a little hard and causes a left pull…. Also messed around with the 120x100 and AMT TI white x100. The x100 shafts get a lower flight, but still spin quite a bit. Watch some videos from TXG, They have found similar results in fittings. 

accurate as can be, but I always had trouble getting them to a higher apex when needed. The modus have more feel and similar stability,  I felt I can control flight in them much more effectively. 

It seems that the i230 launch plenty  high and spin enough…. So as others have said ….. why not take the extra distance. 

• Like 1

Comes down to preferences for the most part until I get to the longer irons. Playing either in 7-PW would not be a problem for me, and while I could play the 5-6 in ZX7, they do not preserve as much ball speed on mishits as the i230. Many rounds would be similar with these two heads, but I see the forgiveness edge over time making the difference in favor of the Pings. It gets down to which delivers the best misses and I’ve already had some loose 5 iron swings with the i230 that turned out fine.

i played the long irons in the z745 when I gamed those and in hitting the ZX7, it is very similar to the z745. Performance-wise they are the same. Srixon has not changed much at all in that iron if you compare the new one to the 745, which is now four models back (and the 745 remains the cleanest looking IMO). I am not crazy about the v-sole but otherwise they’re great clubs. If I played ZX7 I would most likely want to combo, but I don’t care for the turf interaction with the ZX5. The i230 is easy to get consistent results with because the misses are still pretty good shots. I love how it feels on middle contact and the mishits are not harsh. Power spec brings a distance bump and in the optimal flight window so no reason not to. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, T_Golf_23 said:

I am a higher launch, higher spin player. 

have a set of i230 inbound. Power spec with modus 105X shafts. 

have tried the modus 115S in MP223…. Good launch, just a bit too much spin. Especially in the short irons. 

have tried the 115X in irons and is a bit to stiff. It loses that traditional modus feel. But good spin…. Hoping the 105X is just right. Love the modus feel. 

i am also a x100 player…. Love them… but I find that the added weight causes me to press on it a little hard and causes a left pull…. Also messed around with the 120x100 and AMT TI white x100. The x100 shafts get a lower flight, but still spin quite a bit. Watch some videos from TXG, They have found similar results in fittings. 

accurate as can be, but I always had trouble getting them to a higher apex when needed. The modus have more feel and similar stability,  I felt I can control flight in them much more effectively. 

It seems that the i230 launch plenty  high and spin enough…. So as others have said ….. why not take the extra distance. 

I actually had my ZX7’s bent a degree strong with a second fitting. In a great spin window now but still want to try the i230’s. Same boat as you. I fit fine into X100’s in holes 1-15 lol. Then when I’m tired I blow them left. Fitting found my sweet spot gram was around 110-115ish. I’m open to anything. 223,225,i230’s etc. interested in modus 115 X and DG120 x100

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Comes down to preferences for the most part until I get to the longer irons. Playing either in 7-PW would not be a problem for me, and while I could play the 5-6 in ZX7, they do not preserve as much ball speed on mishits as the i230. Many rounds would be similar with these two heads, but I see the forgiveness edge over time making the difference in favor of the Pings. It gets down to which delivers the best misses and I’ve already had some loose 5 iron swings with the i230 that turned out fine.

i played the long irons in the z745 when I gamed those and in hitting the ZX7, it is very similar to the z745. Performance-wise they are the same. Srixon has not changed much at all in that iron if you compare the new one to the 745, which is now four models back (and the 745 remains the cleanest looking IMO). I am not crazy about the v-sole but otherwise they’re great clubs. If I played ZX7 I would most likely want to combo, but I don’t care for the turf interaction with the ZX5. The i230 is easy to get consistent results with because the misses are still pretty good shots. I love how it feels on middle contact and the mishits are not harsh. Power spec brings a distance bump and in the optimal flight window so no reason not to. 

Great feedback. I am playing the 4,5 irons in the zx5 and the 6-GW in the ZX7’s. Great to see consistency throughout the i230’s from long to short. 

45 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

I actually had my ZX7’s bent a degree strong with a second fitting. In a great spin window now but still want to try the i230’s. Same boat as you. I fit fine into X100’s in holes 1-15 lol. Then when I’m tired I blow them left. Fitting found my sweet spot gram was around 110-115ish. I’m open to anything. 223,225,i230’s etc. interested in modus 115 X and DG120 x100

110-120g Is my spot….. some KBS counter balanced shafts feel a little lighter and can go heavier. 

The added forgiveness and distance and consistency of the 225 vs the 223 is night and day…. Sold the 223 and still have the 225 with the IO shafts. They are one of the best players distance sets ever made. And I usually can’t stand the hollow distance irons. Mizuno nailed it with the 225. I even had the 221 and sold them. 

i also played the ZX7… felt great but could not get along with the v sole….. I am Too shallow at -1 AoA

I feel like the i230 are what the 223 wanted to be…. Just came up short on consistency across the set in the 223.

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looking for any updates here. Ended up getting another set of i230’s but have played the srixons for a bit now. Man the srixons just look so good in the bag! Obviously that’s not my deciding factor but haven’t got the 230’s on the course yet. They feel good hitting into the net just not sure I’m gaining anything from going to them. 

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

I'm still waiting for my i230s, I ordered through the pro shop I work at. They've been sitting at the freight forwarder since december waiting for more products to fill up a pallet lol 

Can't wait to get them in play and compare to my zx7s. I'll post here once I have a few rounds on them.

• Like 1

I can't think of one thing I don't like about the i230's.  They're great.

zx7's won out for me though. I think the v sole just works a little better for me. I get a cleaner strike out of the rough. A littler easier to flight, so helpful on windy days. I added the aw from the mkii's.  Fully committed to them for next season.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400