2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Honu Putters

coreyhr

Went down a deep rabbit hole on Youtube last night looking at LAB putter videos and in the process ran across a guy who was screaming the praises of a putter from Honu. It appears to be "torque free" like the LAB putters but is made of freaking bamboo wood. I'm desperate right now on the greens but I'm not convinced yet that I'm desperate enough to listen to that kind of grief from my group. 

There's little very info out there on these, short of a couple of Youtube videos and the one I mentioned almost seemed like the guy was being paid to pump it up. So I'm curious if anybody on here has any experience with these things? Website listed below.

https://www.honugolf.com/

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

I think I've seen the same videos deep diving YouTube as well a while back, I was either in the same situation or I think I was looking up info on the Kotahi grips. With all that said I'd just get a LAB putter honestly at least that you can resell if it doesn't work. 

But if you're super desperate a lesson will be the best help even if it's just getting your setup back in a proper position cause we all get lazy. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

15 minutes ago, RH82 said:

A hard no on that one.

Desperate times my friend, desperate times. 

10 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I think I've seen the same videos deep diving YouTube as well a while back, I was either in the same situation or I think I was looking up info on the Kotahi grips. With all that said I'd just get a LAB putter honestly at least that you can resell if it doesn't work. 

But if you're super desperate a lesson will be the best help even if it's just getting your setup back in a proper position cause we all get lazy. 

That was my initial thought as well. But if you look at the (very few) recent sold eBay listings, they've all sold for very little loss. I'm sure shipping is high coming from Hawaii though, so have to factor that in. I'm thinking of going back to broomstick and will probably do the DF 2.1 broomstick. I'm toying around with the idea of working with Josey to make me a broomstick (I don't think he's made one of those yet). Based off my time spent with him recently, he's not one to shy away from something new or challenging. So I may go that route. 

I had a lesson recently with a highly respected instructor, but to no avail. It's all mental right now. I go through these stretches. I hit a lot of greens and when birdie putts are missing time after time, it starts a snowball effect. The guys I play with are also good players who make lots of birdies, so I just get a little yippy when I'm struggling to keep pace and going through a slump. I need a sports psychologist more than a lesson I think, but wouldn't even know where to start with that one. 

Toulon First Run Memphis

39 minutes ago, BabyCarrot said:

I wood not pursue that putter. Instead, maybe branch out and get a lesson.

Haha. Couple of blunt responses in this thread which I appreciate. Would rather have some sense talked in to me here first and save myself the ridicule at the course. But I'm one who can normally handle it. They're use to me showing up with a new putter every few rounds now anyway. I weathered the Broomstick flak, but not sure even I could take this one. I've sold a bunch of putters recently and have some money burning a hole in my pocket. The torque free stuff is just on my mind right now. 

Toulon First Run Memphis

1 hour ago, BabyCarrot said:

I wood not pursue that putter. Instead, maybe branch out and get a lesson.

o-brother-where-art-thou-john-turturro.gif.09a8a279c242650347b28fc148503c4c.gif

Toulon First Run Memphis

1 hour ago, coreyhr said:

I had a lesson recently with a highly respected instructor, but to no avail. It's all mental right now. I go through these stretches. I hit a lot of greens and when birdie putts are missing time after time, it starts a snowball effect. The guys I play with are also good players who make lots of birdies, so I just get a little yippy when I'm struggling to keep pace and going through a slump. I need a sports psychologist more than a lesson I think, but wouldn't even know where to start with that one. 

I get that for sure and I'm not sure what the exact thing is maybe just the pressure to drop birdie putts. 

But one thing I've done in the past in my old sport and did after working with an instructor is kinda fluff your confidence but in a legit way. 

Example was doing a lesson/fitting dead flat putting green inside. I push 3 or 4 putts left instructor says good putt, don't worry keep rolling the ball. Points out after I rolled the ball great just lined up wrong, fix that knock 5 down. Tells me something so small can make a putt miss and we get too worked up. Focus on the good, clean up what's bad and they'll drop. 

Plus most greens we can hit a perfect putt line and speed and it hits a small rut in the ground and misses. So I just focus on line and speed if I see the ball rolling well and on line I try and dial in my speed and if I'm left with tap in 2 putts I'm happy and confidence is up. 

Not sure if that will help but for me if I'm just worried about 1 thing when putting it's a lot easier. 

• Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

I would just say make sure to go back to the basics of when you were putting well.

Have you switched to a big (superstroke or similar) grip and lost feel? if so, go back to a smaller paddle or pistol and learn how to release the putter again.  Some of the marketing around "taking your wrists out of putting" dont work for everyone.  Or maybe you need an even bigger grip

Have you gravitated towards heavy putters over the years? try a light one or vice versa

Try a top line instead of flange line or try no sight line.

Have you tried using an insert putter vs milled face?  maybe even a solid steel face with no milling could be the answer for you to find the feel and speed you want

Ive been down the road you were on and it sucks.  I was able to drop a good 6 strokes a round by going lighter with a smaller grip and different aim line.  Maybe you need the opposite but I would not stop until you figure it out.  I wouldn't expect the LAB putter, which seem to be fine putters, to fix your issues just because they are lie angle balanced.

figure out what head weight, total weight, head material/milling/insert and grip size you need to get your feel back 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I get that for sure and I'm not sure what the exact thing is maybe just the pressure to drop birdie putts. 

But one thing I've done in the past in my old sport and did after working with an instructor is kinda fluff your confidence but in a legit way. 

Example was doing a lesson/fitting dead flat putting green inside. I push 3 or 4 putts left instructor says good putt, don't worry keep rolling the ball. Points out after I rolled the ball great just lined up wrong, fix that knock 5 down. Tells me something so small can make a putt miss and we get too worked up. Focus on the good, clean up what's bad and they'll drop. 

Plus most greens we can hit a perfect putt line and speed and it hits a small rut in the ground and misses. So I just focus on line and speed if I see the ball rolling well and on line I try and dial in my speed and if I'm left with tap in 2 putts I'm happy and confidence is up. 

Not sure if that will help but for me if I'm just worried about 1 thing when putting it's a lot easier. 

Excellent advice. I've had rounds lately that I hit good putts that just didn't go in. I started them on my intended line and struck them out of the middle of the face. I've gotten much better about walkign off the course content on those days. It's those days that I feel lost on the greens and am hitting it all over the putter face that drive me crazy. More of those than not here lately it seems. I've just got to commit to hitting 25-50 putts per night over the winter so that I can just go in to autopilot when the pressure is on. I've got to do my part to groove my stroke back in, which I have done as of late.

Toulon First Run Memphis

1 hour ago, Unteachable said:

I would just say make sure to go back to the basics of when you were putting well.

Have you switched to a big (superstroke or similar) grip and lost feel? if so, go back to a smaller paddle or pistol and learn how to release the putter again.  Some of the marketing around "taking your wrists out of putting" dont work for everyone.  Or maybe you need an even bigger grip

Have you gravitated towards heavy putters over the years? try a light one or vice versa

Try a top line instead of flange line or try no sight line.

Have you tried using an insert putter vs milled face?  maybe even a solid steel face with no milling could be the answer for you to find the feel and speed you want

Ive been down the road you were on and it sucks.  I was able to drop a good 6 strokes a round by going lighter with a smaller grip and different aim line.  Maybe you need the opposite but I would not stop until you figure it out.  I wouldn't expect the LAB putter, which seem to be fine putters, to fix your issues just because they are lie angle balanced.

figure out what head weight, total weight, head material/milling/insert and grip size you need to get your feel back 

All great ideas. I've just got to make sure I stick to one of those when I find it instead of having a revolving door of putters with different weights, toe hang, etc. I've got to get that muscle memory back engrained. I have found that inserts are no good for me, especially on lag putts. 

Toulon First Run Memphis

5 hours ago, coreyhr said:

Haha. Couple of blunt responses in this thread which I appreciate. Would rather have some sense talked in to me here first and save myself the ridicule at the course. But I'm one who can normally handle it. They're use to me showing up with a new putter every few rounds now anyway. I weathered the Broomstick flak, but not sure even I could take this one. I've sold a bunch of putters recently and have some money burning a hole in my pocket. The torque free stuff is just on my mind right now. 

I’m struggling not to get the new LAB link/blade putter.  You should get that and tell me how you like it.  I’m having trouble pulling the trigger at $750 but you definitely should!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, coreyhr said:

Excellent advice. I've had rounds lately that I hit good putts that just didn't go in. I started them on my intended line and struck them out of the middle of the face. I've gotten much better about walkign off the course content on those days. It's those days that I feel lost on the greens and am hitting it all over the putter face that drive me crazy. More of those than not here lately it seems. I've just got to commit to hitting 25-50 putts per night over the winter so that I can just go in to autopilot when the pressure is on. I've got to do my part to groove my stroke back in, which I have done as of late.

It comes in waves for sure, I know when I'm lining up a putt and say to myself like "half cup outside" and just line up to hit it I'm doing well. But when I start saying to myself "I think it's...." that's almost game over for me. I do get lost a lot when I just cannot nail down the speed on some courses which happens time to time, I find I really need to get onto the putting green before I tee off and just roll putts for speed. 

Not sure what else I can add just hit those winter reps and build up the confidence, I'm sure everyone has been where you are I have been too. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

10 hours ago, coreyhr said:

All great ideas. I've just got to make sure I stick to one of those when I find it instead of having a revolving door of putters with different weights, toe hang, etc. I've got to get that muscle memory back engrained. I have found that inserts are no good for me, especially on lag putts. 

What about your button back? those give good feedback. Scotty inserts give great feedback IMO

15 hours ago, coreyhr said:

I'm desperate right now on the greens but I'm not convinced yet that I'm desperate enough to listen to that kind of grief from my group. 

Why in the world for any reason would you even care what your "group" would give you grief about what golf gear you use? Play what helps your game. Ignore what others say. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, coreyhr said:

Former yipper here, and basically gave the above advice to someone in a thread the other day. Short story, nothing wrong with experimenting. Grips, putter styles, etc. But there's no magic bullet. At a certain point you just need to commit to a putter, grit it out, and put in the work to build the confidence back.

Putting in the work is really the only thing that'll get you over the mental hump. For me, it was experimenting with hand placement. Don't be afraid to get weird with it. Not that you need to stick with some off the wall grip. It's more to break the mental roadblock. When you realize, "I can hold this thing like an absolute buffoon and still make putts". 

A second part is that putting in the reps can help expose a "good" thought. For me, I had developed a loop in my backstroke. Didn't even notice it until a friend pointed it out. And once he did, the train went off the rails quick. It was all I could think about and would jam me up focusing on it. Was like charles barkley putting some days. Putting in the time, and getting goofy with it, I found a positive thought that worked for me. Decided I don't care if I don't make the perfect textbook stroke. And just started let my body do the work naturally. 

As far as how many reps (and the type of practice). Do a metric ton. And once you start getting a little feel back, make practice challenging. Which makes putts on the course seem easier. For me, I 3d printed some undersized "cups". Basically just a thin profiled ring that is an inch less in diameter than a regulation cup. To this day I'll still hit at least 50 putts a day on the carpet at home. Again, it's about retraining your mind to do it naturally. 

The reps, combined with the smaller "cups" finally broke the mental yip cycle. Had one my best year on the green in years, and maybe one of the better of my golf career. The hole looks massive given the way I practice. To the point that I feel like I'm going to make everything inside 20-25 feet. Obviously I don't. And don't expect to. But the confidence is there.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There is a reason that wood putters disappeared years ago, they are not consistent.  Feel, distance control change with the weather. 

Most (not all) golfers I see with wooden putters are new to the game, they want something different, and think they look good.  With plethora of great putters available today there are many better choices.

• Like 1

It is a nice way to support the local economy that just got burnt.

I ordered some Island Slippers flip flops and slides to help out.

Might have to grab one of these to do same.

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-9 UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Callaway Jaws Raw 48deg Project X Catalyst Wedge

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

18 hours ago, Guia said:

There is a reason that wood putters disappeared years ago, they are not consistent.  Feel, distance control change with the weather. 

Most (not all) golfers I see with wooden putters are new to the game, they want something different, and think they look good.  With plethora of great putters available today there are many better choices.

Is that true? Persimmon drivers were pretty consistent ... from what my feeble brain can remember.

I would think the feel would be pretty good.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

• 2 months later...

Joining the conversation, as I was gifted one of these some months back by a friend who no longer used it. For context, I am a strong putter and had no need to change - but had used his and couldn’t miss with it.

I absolutely love it. The feel off the face is incredible. It is incredibly stable. This actually led to my getting lazy recently and not taking the weight of the club properly - if that makes sense ( I was letting the club drag on the ground because it was so easy to just let it rock ). Did a round with my old putter ( a TM Spider ) and realized were I had gone wrong. Went back to the Honu and couldn’t miss. 

Cons: the offset looks weird. You will get comments. And it looks weird to the eye at address. I experimented with how forward to put the ball and turns out it was so stable it didn’t matter that much. It’s a large base and very flat, would not recommend for those that like an excessively downward or upward strike ( also can be an issue from off the green if you like to ‘pop’ the ball. Same as any large mallet style ). You do have the trust the line because the ball is a little forward of where you normally would have it - I like to set my target from behind the ball, this may throw off those who use a line and are right eye dominant. 

Pros: feel is unparalleled IMO ( I also game a Spider and Scotty ). Incredibly stable with a large sweet spot. Hard to miss your line and weighted perfectly. 

I extended mine by an inch and had a new grip shipped ( their grips are also great, about 1.15” and tapered ). There was a certified Honu pro near me in CA and so the shipping was free. That’s the cheat on shipping if you have one close by. 

TL:DR - highly recommend but think you should look at their local Pro partnerships and try to first. 

• Like 1

Why is everyone knocking the Honu putters? First off, the shaft location is not new. Odyssey had a hosel like that. Bobby Grace’s Asskicker shaft is the same concept. 

Honu was founded by an engineer. It’s a real company with a unique putter, not a marketing ploy. And wood putters are not affected by the weather. The head is sealed. We put carbonized bamboo floors in our house in New Orleans. Stunning. It’s a highly sustainable resource. Good for Honu for choosing it. 

I had a LAB MEZZ putter but sold it and am no longer tempted. Did not like the setup or forward shaft lean, felt like I was too mechanical. It felt bulky. I am ambidextrous, mostly left handed, but I play golf right handed. Could be LAB just doesn’t work for me, it seemed to require too much work to use it. There are lots of ways to create stability. I find the Axis1 putters are even better balanced and easier to use. I would expect the Honu to perform like the similar Odyssey and Grace heads, which worked well. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you can tell by most of the comments on this thread that the posters have never seen or researched Honu putters. They are designed by a retired engineer from Sun Microsystems, who lives in Hawaii and started the company. Not some gimmick. The owner also says it was Karsten Solheim and Ping that held the original patents on CG-balanced putters 50 years ago but all of those patents have expired. 

Will be something if it turns out Mitch Bradley’s Honu design is as good as any of the torque-free putters. What I like about them is they don’t have that built-in forward press. Just perfectly balanced. The shaft location is similar to the old Odyssey backstryke or the Bobby Grace Asskicker shaft.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches