2023 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

Hooray!!!!! a mixed team event (sarcasm).  I don't wanna be that guy but with 32 players and 16 of each gender and 4 million purse split equally, sure that's enough money to get the top LPGA players to show up, but with the stupid money being thrown around on the PGA, do you honestly believe any PGA players worth anything will show up for about at best a 400-500K winner's check.  I don't think this will have any appeal for me and just be a waste of time where we could have had an actual legit LPGA event.

PGA TOUR, LPGA Tour and Grant Thornton partner for new mixed-team event | LPGA | Ladies Professional Golf Association

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Stooch said:

do you honestly believe any PGA players worth anything will show up for about at best a 400-500K winner's check

With 32 players and $4,000,000 purse, the winners will get at least $400,000 each.  Money alone won't entice Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth or Justin Thomas, but they may show up just to support LPGA players.

As usual, I'm more hopeful than you're; and this has been the best mixed event proposition I've seen in a long long time.  In any case, this is 100 times better than Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions.

FplCvmCX0AAxxB8?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 18majors said:

With 16 team and $4,000,000 purse, the winning team will get at least $800,000.  Money alone won't entice Rory McIlroy, Jordan Spieth or Justin Thomas, but players like Tony Finau and Ricky Fowler will do.

As usual, I'm more hopeful than you're; and this has been the best mixed event proposition I've seen in a long long time.

FplCvmCX0AAxxB8?format=jpg&name=small

I had to google Grant Thorton to see what they did and they probably have some relationships with some PGA players.  Tony Finau I actually feel is a genuine good person, so I think he'd show up if asked.  Guys like Justin Thomas I feel they just play a nice guy on TV (but I seriously doubt he'd consider showing up).  Maybe a guy like Max Homa would show he seems pretty decent also. As for Rickie Fowler while I do like him, if he played the LPGA every week and played from the same tees, I would bet the field every week and win lots of money, so you know what watching Rickie getting run over by a couple of the top tier ladies might be fun lol

• Like 1

@Stooch

If nothing else, the Mixed Event will bump 2023 LPGA purse up by $2.0 million to over $100.0 million again, replenishing the $2.0 million lost at Blue Bay LPAG.  Even though the money only goes to 16 players, at least it will include the players we like, Brooke, Nelly, Lydia and etc.

Edit:

The tournament will be played December 8-10, 2023 as part of the silly season, so the $2.0 million won't be included as part of 2023 LPGA purse.

The first two teams have been announced:

Jessica Korda and Ricky Fowler

Nelly Korda and Tony Finau

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stooch said:

I had to google Grant Thorton to see what they did and they probably have some relationships with some PGA players.  Tony Finau I actually feel is a genuine good person, so I think he'd show up if asked.  Guys like Justin Thomas I feel they just play a nice guy on TV (but I seriously doubt he'd consider showing up).  Maybe a guy like Max Homa would show he seems pretty decent also. As for Rickie Fowler while I do like him, if he played the LPGA every week and played from the same tees, I would bet the field every week and win lots of money, so you know what watching Rickie getting run over by a couple of the top tier ladies might be fun lol

Tony Finau has been announced with Nelly Korda, as has Jessica Korda with Rickie Fowler.

I wish the field was a little larger, but still, for a silly season event this has serious potential to be fun.

• Like 3

I wonder if some of the KPMG sponsored players - male and female - will give it a miss, noting that Grant Thornton is a competitor?

On the other hand, maybe KPMG will like 'crashing' GT's event?

Will be interesting to see the invites and  acceptances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

How is it the LPGA has someone writing for them that obviously does not follow the LPGA! A good example and I quote from this just released article by Steve Eubanks a New York Times best selling author and managing editor for the LPGA"Ko is just three points shy of becoming the youngest player in history to earn membership into arguably the hardest hall in the world to enter". Now I know we all know it's 2 more points and so does anyone who has followed the LPGA lately as it's been reported by others many times....

https://www.lpga.com/news/2023/how-good-is-lydia-ko

Edited by AKL Kiwi
  • Like 1

The last LPGA full field event was November 10-13, 2022 and the next is March 23-26, 2023;  a span of 19 weeks (more than 4 months) for majority of LPGA players.  As a result, the first full field event of 2023 is shaping up to be something big.

The purse of the LPGA Drive On Championship is merely $1.75 million, but it doesn't matter.  Other than players who're still on medical or maternity leave, the only players who haven't signed up are:

Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Xiyu Lin, Celine Boutier, Hyo Joo Kim, Nasa Hataoka, Yuka Saso, Hinako Shibuno, A Lim Kim and Linn Grant.

Some of these players could still sign up before the deadline; and we might have a regular tournament where the winner earns more than 63.0 Rolex points

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

The last LPGA full field event was November 10-13, 2022 and the next is March 23-26, 2023;  a span of 19 weeks (more than 4 months) for majority of LPGA players.  As a result, the first full field event of 2023 is shaping up to be something big.

The purse of the LPGA Drive On Championship is merely $1.75 million, but it doesn't matter.  Other than players who're still on medical or maternity leave, the only players who haven't signed up are:

Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson, Xiyu Lin, Celine Boutier, Hyo Joo Kim, Nasa Hataoka, Yuka Saso, Hinako Shibuno, A Lim Kim and Linn Grant.

Some of these players could still sign up before the deadline; and we might have a regular tournament where the winner earns more than 63.0 Rolex points

Thinking Lydia won’t play because of LET Singapore the week before.

Grant still can’t in the country.

Lexi is not currently entered in anything. I think she’ll be there once she gets around to it.

Three Japanese players - tournament in Japan?

Edited by Seamus_McDuff

As much as LPGA goes on to Singapore next week, I'm also very excited about the first start of 2023 Epson Tour season.  Many player will unveil their new 2023 form:

Alexa Pano, Jillian Hollis, Gabriela Ruffels, Weiwei Zhang, Sierra Brooks, Kristen Gillman, Ana Belac, Bianca Pagdanganan, Mi Hyang Lee, Yaeeun Hong, Lauren Stephenson, Brittany Lincicome, Xiaowen Yin, Gina Kim, Vivian Hou, Brooke Matthews and Haley Moore.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 18majors said:

As much as LPGA goes on to Singapore next week, I'm also very excited about the first start of 2023 Epson Tour season.  Many player will unveil their new 2023 form:

Alexa Pano, Jillian Hollis, Gabriela Ruffels, Weiwei Zhang, Sierra Brooks, Kristen Gillman, Ana Belac, Bianca Pagdanganan, Mi Hyang Lee, Yaeeun Hong, Lauren Stephenson, Brittany Lincicome, Xiaowen Yin, Gina Kim, Vivian Hou, Brooke Matthews and Haley Moore.

And don't forget the trophy at the Florida's Natural Classic. They're all vying to win the coveted Bowl of Oranges.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Anyone ever give any thought as to why at 6 foot tall, Anna Nordqvist is a very short driver of the ball and has always been. She's always been around the 250 area, which I know isn't bottom of the pack, but usually taller players have more length or so it seems. Lack of swing speed maybe?

It is swing speed with her.  With some tall, female players, they struggle generating length in the swing while getting the club face consistently squared.  Anna can generate swing speed.  Her problem when she was younger was consistency.  

See here how she abbreviates the backswing?  This was after several years of adjustments looking for consistency.

Compare that to Nelly and you will see where the speed is generated through the long backswing and hip transition.  

• Like 4

Food for thought:

How Much Pay-gap in LPGA & PGA Tour Caddies? Who Earn more from Players prize money share?

The article didn't address important issues like pensions, medical insurance and other fringe benefits.

Summary                                                         PGA                                          LPGA

Base Salary                                               $15k-$25k                                    $5k-$12k

Winner’s Caddie Share                                    10%                                             7%

Annual Income                                         $200k-$500k                             $50k-$100k

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Food for thought:

How Much Pay-gap in LPGA & PGA Tour Caddies? Who Earn more from Players prize money share?

The article didn't address important issues like pensions, medical insurance and other fringe benefits.

Summary                                                         PGA                                          LPGA

Base Salary                                               $15k-$25k                                    $5k-$12k

Winner’s Caddie Share                                    10%                                             7%

Annual Income                                         $200k-$500k                             $50k-$100k

Didn't realise the discrepancy for LPGA / PGA Tour caddies' take-home-pay = so significant!

Perhaps @OnTheBag @Creedo77 (and others??) might be able to share further insights! 🙏🤞  thanks @18majors for sharing the post

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

If an LPGA player gets an ex PGA caddie on their bag (meaning they are one of the top LPGA pros), there's no way those numbers hold up - the LPGA pro will be paying closer to the PGA numbers.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

16 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Anyone ever give any thought as to why at 6 foot tall, Anna Nordqvist is a very short driver of the ball and has always been. She's always been around the 250 area, which I know isn't bottom of the pack, but usually taller players have more length or so it seems. Lack of swing speed maybe?

One plane swing, very repeatable but not a power generator.

Reminds me of Steve Stricker's swing. Ally Ewing is also similar.

Anna is a great example of someone that knows their swing and game in total, see how she compensates for her poor chipping with Texas wedges and hybrid bunts.

Can see her being competitive for some years yet.

• Like 3