2023 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

Indeed!

I wonder why my "Iron Lady" Yealimi Noh didn't sign up to play Blue Bay or Saudi Ladies International!  I guess Yealimi won't be "Iron Lady" anymore now she doesn't have Hana Bank to pay for everything!

Blue Bay canceled, so Noh won't be missing out on anything there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 18majors said:

Those glorious days!

I haven't followed Annie closely during her early LPGA days.  I assume she had injury issues early in her LPGA career and it might still bother her somehow.

Yes she has had back issues which she admits were self inflicted for never taking her fitness seriously and was considering hanging it up before winning the ShopRite, switching to the long putter has been a boon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

Probably wouldn’t happen unless LET broke off on its own or indeed a Women’s LIV happened. 

At this moment it’d be like leaving Walmart to shop at Sam’s Club.

But if you have no money to spend it does not matter! The Aramco series is just a different approach for the Arabs to get into women's golf than the men's through LIV. Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, which backs LIV's rebel tour, is also the presenting partner of the Aramco Series. I can see now the Aramco series expanding again with more tournaments and higher purses through the LET. I would love to see Aramco tournaments here in NZ and Australia with 1M+ purses. We have some of the worlds best courses here ready to go and a couple of the worlds best players in Lydia and Minjee. The LET could put these on in late Jan early Feb. I'd sooner be counting on Saudi oil backed money than Corporations in the US going forward over the next few years given the current economic situation. 

Edited by AKL Kiwi
  • Like 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, subrew said:

Short WITB with TXG and Lexi:

Interesting the spectrum for pro's knowledge and interest in the tech of their clubs.

Lexi seems somewhere between tech nerd and not giving a toss, her "I leave it to Cobra" or similar comment re the weight configuration of her driver an indication, yet her 3 wood loft comments show some equipment knowledge and interest.

She's so personable as an interviewee.

PS, Matt's getting a belly, maybe too much poutine...but good to see him back doing some TXG stuff.

• Like 4

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Lexi is one of my favorite American player..  I wish her all the luck this year.. Hopefully she can dominate with her power..  Hopefully she worked on her putting..

Is she a WRX member?  7.5 degree Driver Ventus Black 6x --- 12 degree fairway wood..   Those are stout numbers for a women.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, postfold said:

Blue Bay canceled, so Noh won't be missing out on anything there.

Yealimi Noh's last tournament was in Korea on the KLPGA on Dec 18th her next on the LPGA is March 23rd the Drive On Championship perhaps there is a KLPGA tournament she can enter before then? 

Annie Park's last tournament was the Pelican Women's Championship Dec 13th and likewise her start this year will be the Drive On Championship.....I don't know how some of these players can afford to make a living as a professional golfer. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

Yealimi Noh's last tournament was in Korea on the KLPGA on Dec 18th her next on the LPGA is March 23rd the Drive On Championship perhaps there is a KLPGA tournament she can enter before then? 

Yealimi used to play KLPGA events because she's sponsored by Hana Bank.  Hana Bank is big sponsor of KLPGA, as such they are entitled to invite players to play KLPGA events.  Yealimi is entering uncharted water in 2023 when she lost Hana Bank as a sponsor.  She's been protected in Hana cocoon since February 2019 when she's only 17 years old.

It's a new life.  Not only she gets less from her new sponsor, she no longer has automatic business class tickets for international flights or 5 star hotels.  I'm curious whether she'll lose herself completely or instead, she'll have her first breakout season.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 1/31/2023 at 5:51 PM, AKL Kiwi said:

An example of another benefit...if you look at the Saudi Ladies International the Top 60 LET are exempt and Johanna Gustavsson is #2 with RR #165. Annie Park non-member top 300 WWGR RR #175 probably won't get into the field. As a professional they must start looking at where is the best chance of earning a living while trying to improve their ranking.

There are top players entered from the LET exemption such as Leona, Nordqvist, Boutier, Buhai, Ciganda, Babnik etc but your point still stands. 

Also entered via non Rolex exemption is defending champ Georgia hall, Charley Hull, Jeeno, some others.

Where is Nelly and Brooke at ?

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Where is Nelly and Brooke at ?

They would have commited by now if they intended to play. There was a time Brooke played every tournament she could but I guess she can afford to be more conservative now especially if she is managing back issues. You would still think that the 5M purse would be a very good incentive to attend and you know the facilities will have lockers! 

So could there be other issues at play here with this tournament.....

Our sports minister Grant Robertson today has suggested to FIFA that they look for other commercial arrangements for the upcoming Women's World Cup here and Australia over the Gulf state’s tourism board, Visit Saudi's sponsorship. And the reason...."Human rights group Amnesty International New Zealand said Saudi sponsorship at the tournament would be “deeply disappointing” because of the state’s “egregious” human rights record". There have been no reports of any of the players pulling out and the next loudest voices here have been from ex internationals. Unfortunately this could also be an issue should the LET want to put on an Aramco series tournament here.

Edited by AKL Kiwi
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Interesting the spectrum for pro's knowledge and interest in the tech of their clubs.

Lexi seems somewhere between tech nerd and not giving a toss, her "I leave it to Cobra" or similar comment re the weight configuration of her driver an indication, yet her 3 wood loft comments show some equipment knowledge and interest.

She's so personable as an interviewee.

PS, Matt's getting a belly, maybe too much poutine...but good to see him back doing some TXG stuff.

What has Matt been doing outside of TXG? 

2 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

I make golf videos about instruction, equipment, fitness, courses, travel and anything else related to the game! Trying to offer different perspectives as a low handicap player left-handed, while also learning to play the game right-handed.
  • Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 hours ago, AKL Kiwi said:

They would have commited by now if they intended to play. There was a time Brooke played every tournament she could but I guess she can afford to be more conservative now especially if she is managing back issues. You would still think that the 5M purse would be a very good incentive to attend and you know the facilities will have lockers! 

So could there be other issues at play here with this tournament.....

Our sports minister Grant Robertson today has suggested to FIFA that they look for other commercial arrangements for the upcoming Women's World Cup here and Australia over the Gulf state’s tourism board, Visit Saudi's sponsorship. And the reason...."Human rights group Amnesty International New Zealand said Saudi sponsorship at the tournament would be “deeply disappointing” because of the state’s “egregious” human rights record". There have been no reports of any of the players pulling out and the next loudest voices here have been from ex internationals. Unfortunately this could also be an issue should the LET want to put on an Aramco series tournament here.

Similar groundswell about the Saudi WWC sponsorship her in Australia, has got plenty of radio -ve comments + one of our soccer lead experts and prominent humanitarian Craig Foster has been scathing. No official gov't approach to FIFA though, you Kiwis are a jump ahead.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:37 PM, AKL Kiwi said:

But if you have no money to spend it does not matter! The Aramco series is just a different approach for the Arabs to get into women's golf than the men's through LIV. Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, which backs LIV's rebel tour, is also the presenting partner of the Aramco Series. I can see now the Aramco series expanding again with more tournaments and higher purses through the LET. I would love to see Aramco tournaments here in NZ and Australia with 1M+ purses. We have some of the worlds best courses here ready to go and a couple of the worlds best players in Lydia and Minjee. The LET could put these on in late Jan early Feb. I'd sooner be counting on Saudi oil backed money than Corporations in the US going forward over the next few years given the current economic situation. 

I just think that if it were to get to that point. The LPGA who has an ownership stake in the LET would co-sanction so that the top from each tour benefit. The LPGA also has the luxury of having sat back and watched the LIV drama. If the LPGA is smart AND Saudi PIF does Indeed want a women’s LIV, surely it’d

find a way to integrate it into the schedule.

8 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

5 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

I make golf videos about instruction, equipment, fitness, courses, travel and anything else related to the game! Trying to offer different perspectives as a low handicap player left-handed, while also learning to play the game right-handed.

If you can access Matt Blois’ YouTube channel via computer (not mobile phone)… there’s a ‘Community’ tab, in which Matt posted an update (approx 6-7months ago) w.r.t. temporary halting his YouTube video posts, to seek treatment for mental health issues ; perhaps the stress of starting his own golf YT business contributed to the stress?).  

TL;DR… So I appreciate TXG/ Ian’s efforts to bring Matt back onto the TXG Channel, ie a win-win for those who’ve missed their chemistry/ Ian looking out for his friend in time of need?

• Like 1

Notable invitee spaces for the Saudi .. Gaby Ruffels, Alexa Pano, and Muni He are in! Annie firmly perched at reserve #1 which begs the question are you really going to fly half way across the world and hope someone calls in sick ? (If nobody drops out soon -_- )

Arjun Atwal on PGA I follow who grew in NY as well close to me ended up making the cut in some Caribbean tournament just warming up waiting for the call as a reserve. But at least you are still in the Caribbean they don't call

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Annie firmly perched at reserve #1 which begs the question are you really going to fly half way across the world and hope someone calls in sick ? (If nobody drops out soon -_- )

Given the tournament is two weeks away, the odds is good Annie will be moved to entry list before then!

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

I just think that if it were to get to that point. The LPGA who has an ownership stake in the LET would co-sanction so that the top from each tour benefit. The LPGA also has the luxury of having sat back and watched the LIV drama. If the LPGA is smart AND Saudi PIF does Indeed want a women’s LIV, surely it’d

find a way to integrate it into the schedule.

The danger for the LPGA is they don't have the capacity to compete with Suadi money.  The PGA had the ability to match or compete with LIV money.  The virtue signalers are gonna complain that about taking said money due to human rights violations but are expected to play in China no questions asked.  My view is the world is a complicated place where if we look at everyone, we can find reason not to like what they stand for and I say the LPGA players should take the money were ever they can, it's not their cross to bear to change the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

The danger for the LPGA is they don't have the capacity to compete with Suadi money.  The PGA had the ability to match or compete with LIV money.  The virtue signalers are gonna complain that about taking said money due to human rights violations but are expected to play in China no questions asked.  My view is the world is a complicated place where if we look at everyone, we can find reason not to like what they stand for and I say the LPGA players should take the money were ever they can, it's not their cross to bear to change the world.

As long as these big purse Saudi events do not compete with any significant LPGA events, there should be no complaints. More high quality golf year round which is good for everyone. 

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 4

Muni He knew what's she's doing when she chose not to enter 2022 Q-School; she has power even though her priority ranking isn't high.

Muni has power because she's represented by IMG and she's 560,000 Instagram followers; as a result, she will play Saudi International and Thailand as a sponsor invitee.

Unfortunately, neither will help her to retain her LPGA card for 2024; because she won't win any CME ranking points.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Muni has power because she's represented by IMG and she's 560,000 Instagram followers; as a result, she will play Saudi International and Thailand as a sponsor invitee.

No need to beat around the bush, she gets sponsor invites because she looks good, same reason she has 560,000 IG followers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1