2023 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

21 hours ago, fredogolfer said:

I just think that if it were to get to that point. The LPGA who has an ownership stake in the LET would co-sanction so that the top from each tour benefit. The LPGA also has the luxury of having sat back and watched the LIV drama. If the LPGA is smart AND Saudi PIF does Indeed want a women’s LIV, surely it’d

find a way to integrate it into the schedule.

14 hours ago, Stooch said:

The danger for the LPGA is they don't have the capacity to compete with Suadi money.  The PGA had the ability to match or compete with LIV money.  The virtue signalers are gonna complain that about taking said money due to human rights violations but are expected to play in China no questions asked.  My view is the world is a complicated place where if we look at everyone, we can find reason not to like what they stand for and I say the LPGA players should take the money were ever they can, it's not their cross to bear to change the world.

12 hours ago, woahnelly said:

As long as these big purse Saudi events do not compete with any significant LPGA events, there should be no complaints. More high quality golf year round which is good for everyone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Anyone know what was discussed with J.Y. Ko?

4 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

I see a wedding ring on her left hand BUT in the initial frame, a band is on her right hand!?? Hmmmm, strange.

The video doesn't really explain the ring ... video was a 'Live-stream' with her followers, to wish them a happy Lunar New Year. (caveat: I don't speak Korean, so relying on google-translate!

... so perhaps the following explanation = completely out-of-whack? but here goes...

Mentioned her ongoing pre-season training (Vietnam?)... and that she expects to start the season in Thailand/Singapore , as part of the Asian swing.

Timestamp ~6mins30s = a viewer asks if JYK will get married this year

("올해는 시집 가야죠?" , and "남친은 어디서 계신지?" ("where is your boyfriend"?)

JYK didn't give a definitive answer to "올해는 시집 가야죠?"

(she simply says "질문은 패스하겠습니다" i.e. "will give the question a pass"?)

FWIW... No google-search results in past year for Ko Jin Young and get married ("고진영"고진영고 시집가야" (https://bit.ly/3JGfnLn

The rest = various chatter about stomach-ache/enteritis(?), prunes/plum juice as an elixir/cure?
... putting on weight in post-season due to eating a lot of rice

... her wrist feels ok-ish, but is still careful

... will retain her caddie for upcoming season ... and still with same coach?

... introduced her training camp room-mate (Kim Min-Cheol? "김민철"), whose phone alarm went off mid-video.

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

The video doesn't really explain the ring ... video was a 'Live-stream' with her followers, to wish them a happy Lunar New Year. (caveat: I don't speak Korean, so relying on google-translate!

... so perhaps the following explanation = completely out-of-whack? but here goes...

Mentioned her ongoing pre-season training (Vietnam?)... and that she expects to start the season in Thailand/Singapore , as part of the Asian swing.

FWIW... No google-search results in past year for Ko Jin Young and get married ("고진영"고진영고 시집가야" (https://bit.ly/3JGfnLn

The rest = various chatter about stomach-ache/enteritis(?), prunes/plum juice as an elixir/cure?

... introduced her training camp room-mate (Kim Min-Cheol? "김민철"), whose phone alarm went off mid-video.

Thanks @JungleJimbo.

I have seen that sometimes Korean female golfers wear a ring on the western wedding ring finger but it doesn't mean they are married.

• Like 1

I've been watching the Kenya LET tournament - first time I've followed a LET event. It's on YT, and no advertising breaks which is nice. 

But the level of golf is some way under the LPGA. Lots of missed putts, irons not reaching the greens etc etc. It makes you realise how good the LPGA players are. And the top ones are in another class again - the likes of Lydia Ko, Nelly etc. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Man, Google translate is pretty good.  My Korean is rusty and was just good enough to communicate with my players (no one would accuse me of being fluent), but your synopsis above is close to what I got from the video.

• Like 1

@JungleJimbo

A Korean translation from Jin Young Ko's first golf coach 🙂    

The Happy New Year she is referring to is the Lunar New Year . . . or also known as the Chinese New Year or in Vietnam TET 

From Jin Young Ko's YouTube:

It's been a while since I did a real-time live.
sorry, I couldn't upload it. now I am  during training.
  today is Sunday.... 
It's been a long time since I turned it on because it was a holiday.
 I don't use the Instagram...
so I turned on YouTube...I'm disappointed that nobody join the beggining . 
but it gradually came in...
It's a holiday, are you having fun? 
 Happy New Year. Thank you so much for the love.

I am trining well at the Vietnam. 
I will play the first tournament will be at the Tailand and the next one will be the Singapore. 
..people said that I lost my weight.  but I didn't lose weight.
I gained the most weight because the food was delicious in here. Yesterday I ate  congee due to stress enteritis and I lost 3kg .
 but... it's okay.
and people suggested to drink the plum jouice. 
thanks very much but I couldn't find the plum juice at the Vietnam. . 

I will get 3 question and end of this live.

1. How long will you stay at the vietman? until Feb first. 

2. what is the most focusing of your training point of this traing season? 

Focusing on my swing.  my swing is bad in now , so I start over from the basics. 
It was so hard in the beginning of the changing. 
Especially, the Mental.   The gap between my origianl swing and the swing I had to fix is too big, so it was very difficult in the beginning.   And It's still hard. 
So I'm under a lot of stress, and now I have stress gastroenteritis... 
but it's getting better.

(she describes  her roommate) 
she is the Kim Min Sol Pro.  She participated in the LPGA BMW tournament as an invited player. 
11 year gap with Ko and she is the high school student athlete. 
She will be active in the US.

3. about the Coach. 
I changed back to Siwoo Lee, a professional I learned in the past. Caddy hasn't changed.
My wrist has improved a lot, but I am still careful.
Everyone, don't get sick, I will practice hard and show you a good game.
Happy new year.

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

@JungleJimbo

A Korean translation from Jin Young Ko's first golf coach 🙂    

The Happy New Year she is referring to is the Lunar New Year . . . or also known as the Chinese New Year or in Vietnam TET 

Glad to hear she will go back to Si Woo Lee, who is also coaching Joo Hyung "Tom" Kim.

Found some photos of J.Y. Ko back at boot camp with S.W. Lee.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoIohjoBa-_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoIohjoBa-_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by iBanesto

9 hours ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Except for Aditi? Not sure what her status is on the LPGA these days.

6 hours ago, woahnelly said:

She finished 99 in the CME last season, so she is safe for '23

@woahnelly is correct w.r.t. Aditi Ashok.

Albeit #99 on 2022 CME

= translates to #134(?) in 2023 LPGA Priority List, i.e. there are some other categories that get higher priority vs CME #80-100 (e.g. Major Winner, Top10 Epson Tour, etc)

More info:  

(A) 2022 CME season rankings: https://www.lpga.com/statistics/points/race-to-cme-globe-season?year=2022

(B) https://www.lpga.com/-/media/files/priority-list/2022/2022-lpga-priority-listupdate101022.pdf 

..https://womensgolf.com/2023-lpga-priority-list#:~:text=Ruixin Liu-,Aditi Ashok,-Caroline Inglis 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 12:28 PM, Stooch said:

The danger for the LPGA is they don't have the capacity to compete with Suadi money.  The PGA had the ability to match or compete with LIV money.  The virtue signalers are gonna complain that about taking said money due to human rights violations but are expected to play in China no questions asked.  My view is the world is a complicated place where if we look at everyone, we can find reason not to like what they stand for and I say the LPGA players should take the money were ever they can, it's not their cross to bear to change the world.

This, may seem as way out there to some, but I've heard enough rumblings from those with association to the PGA Tour, that some of the below are being discussed.

There have been conversations about the possibility of the PGA Tour forming a partnership, partial ownership, or perhaps ownership of the LPGA Tour.In 2023, expect 1 maybe 2 tournaments announced where both men and women play in same tournament. Going forward, the possiblity of back to back tournaments at same site, like a Scotsdale, men 1 week, women the next week.

How could that possibly benefit the PGA Tour? Complete pro golf control, increased sponsor $$, utilizing course structures twice, bigger payouts to host courses  etc.

Where would LIV/Aramco fit in??? Look no further than the majors held in Saudi over the next few weeks. They do those very well, and with their money, could easily do more worldwide, and profit from them. Sure, Norman has to go, and LIV profile must change. But, ...?

57 minutes ago, JDee1935 said:

This, may seem as way out there to some, but I've heard enough rumblings from those with association to the PGA Tour, that some of the below are being discussed.

There have been conversations about the possibility of the PGA Tour forming a partnership, partial ownership, or perhaps ownership of the LPGA Tour.In 2023, expect 1 maybe 2 tournaments announced where both men and women play in same tournament. Going forward, the possiblity of back to back tournaments at same site, like a Scotsdale, men 1 week, women the next week.

How could that possibly benefit the PGA Tour? Complete pro golf control, increased sponsor $$, utilizing course structures twice, bigger payouts to host courses  etc.

Where would LIV/Aramco fit in??? Look no further than the majors held in Saudi over the next few weeks. They do those very well, and with their money, could easily do more worldwide, and profit from them. Sure, Norman has to go, and LIV profile must change. But, ...?

I love the LPGA Tour but I have no desire to watch mixed tournaments. Please no.

1 hour ago, KimmerBH said:

I love the LPGA Tour but I have no desire to watch mixed tournaments. Please no.

Why not? They're terrific.

Big hit in Australia.

Keep them coming!

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

40 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Why not? They're terrific.

Curious, why do you like Mixed Golf when 60-70 % of the TV time were occupied by 2nd or 3rd tier men golfers that we don't care.

I couldn't care a bit until the time Lydia, Nelly, Brooke and etc. compete with Rory McIlroy, John Rahm, Scottie Scheffler and etc. at the Masters!

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

Just now, 18majors said:

Curious, why do you like Mixed Golf when 60-70 % of the TV time were occupied by 2nd or 3rd tier men golfers that we don't care.

I couldn't care a bit until the time Lydia, Nelly, Brooke and etc. play with Rory McIlroy, John Rahm, Scottie Scheffler and etc.

Not just a TV element, also gives fans a chance to go to an event and watch both genders playing.

Best of both worlds.

Agree that nirvana is as you described it. Why not?

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

21 hours ago, JDee1935 said:

I've always liked the women playing the same course the week later, I thought it was enjoyable when the US Open did it about 8-9 years ago, I guess logistics would be the only issue, we'd be asking these courses to shut down for an extra week or two.

At this time, I don't really trust the PGA management in doing anything TBH and I don't really trust LPGA management in light of recent events either.  My simplistic take on the PGA/LIV thing is a bunch of high profile players wanted changes, the PGA and the players community board told them to pound sand and so they did, and the PGA made all the changes they originally wanted, so seemed like a useless exercise.

Again, I beat this subject to death, the LPGA has to invest and to control over the golf TV production.  So, they control the TV rights totally and can offer many forms of streaming and they can sell the rights individually to each country and to whatever network they want.  They are losing out on a multi-million TV deal with Canada alone just simply based on Brooke Henderson.  The problem for the LPGA and Network coverage is nobody wants to pay the money for infrastructure needed each week to cover golfing events.  IMO if you went to ESPN in the middle of summer and said "we have 4 days with 4 hours of golf each day and all you have to do is sell advertising and press play", I think you might be surprised how many networks would jump at the ability of have low risk content. 

• Like 4

The Rolex Ranking has been little changed during the off-season, currently:

1.      Lydia Ko                                7.72               46
  2.      Nelly Korda                           7.25               36
  3.      Minjee Lee                            6.19                47
  4.      Atthaya Thitikul                    5.80               46
  5.      Jin Young Ko                        5.70                38
  6.      Brooke Henderson               5.53               48
  7.      Lexi Thompson                     5.38               40

Another way of looking at it is that Lydia is 16.92 Rolex points ahead of Nelly, Nelly is 49.82 ahead of Minjee and Minjee is 32.40 ahead of #7 Lexi Thompson.

Lydia and Nelly will likely stay Top-2 until the conclusion of Chevron Championship on April 23; they may exchange their position more than once during that period.

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 2

More details regarding Yealimi Noh's signing with Malbon Golf:

" Malbon Golf:  We’re excited to announce that we have partnered exclusively with Korean American pro golfer, @YealimiNoh for her upcoming LPGA tour!

The Bay Area native is the first athlete to formally partner with Malbon Golf and will wear a sneak peek of our women's silhouettes for the entirety of LPGA tour dates. This partnership is an alignment of firsts for both Yealimi and Malbon Golf and we aim to shine a spotlight on young women's golf and the diversity and inclusivity that comes with playing the greatest game on earth.

'Our ethos is rooted in inspiring the youth to step out on the course and feel good while looking good. Yealimi exudes that natural confidence where both her exceptional athletic talent and easy yet edgy style shine bright. We are so excited to partner with her and will be rooting for her from start to finish and beyond.' - @StephenMalbon

Yealimi, 21, turned pro and competed in her first LPGA tour at 18 years old. This partnership and decision to represent our women's audience was a natural fit.

'Malbon Golf is a brand that I admire both on and off the course. I’m thrilled to be their first athletic partner and to represent them amongst the top talent in women’s golf on the LPGA Tour.’ - @YealimiNoh"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

Lydia and Nelly will likely stay Top-2 until the conclusion of Chevron Championship on April 23; they may exchange their position more than once during that period.

If Lydia can maintain her form of 2022 through 2023 she almost certainly will enter the HOF and by years end could even pass Lorena Ochoa's record of 158 weeks at RR#1. She currently sits at 115 weeks in third place behind JYK at 145 (partly due to the covid break) and Lorena. In recent weeks she went past Yani Tseng (109) and Inbee Park (106)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 18majors said:

More details regarding Yealimi Noh's signing with Malbon Golf:

We are so excited to partner with her and will be rooting for her from start to finish and beyond.' - @StephenMalbon

I think we would all be excited to see her performing better this year....for Malbon to get value from their investment Yealimi needs to get more air time and you don't get that by not being near the top of the leaderboard or missing cuts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

.for Malbon to get value from their investment

From golf publicity standpoint, Malbon would get a return of -1,000,000 if Yealimi plays like 2022.  Hana Bank made the same mistake in 2019 when they signed Yealimi to a four-year contract when she's 17.

Maybe it's "A leap of faith" and "A labor of love" from Malbon's point of view.

• Haha 1