2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TSR3

russian7

I could have never imagined any combo beating my sim but I did a full fitting for hours with every head and shaft and the tsr3 edged out my sim in distance ballspeed and smash factor on Trackman.

Upon arrival I played two rounds hitting it with different low spin shaft options and on the course it was completely opposite high launch way higher Spin and way shorter than my sim, im pissed.

My swing has been on every day feeling like I am murdering the ball and it's going up and nowhere.

I don't understand how it can be so good on trackman and on the course it really underperforms.

Its so odd it launches way higher an somewhat balloons and has tons of spin. I even tipped a shaft 1.5" and every combo has been mediocre on the course its crazy!

Anyone else seen this? When i was fitted 2 sessions it was the top performer and on course not a chance.. 

spray the face with some foot powder and see where your impact spot is.

some places (Dick's comes to mind) have older technology that doesn't measure side spin correctly. 

TSR3 is great with center face contact, but punishes mishits a lot.

Edited by hagimihale

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

9 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Damn!!

That could be it but I shot 69 back to back days of my swing couldn't have been any better and I was hitting it side by side and smashing my sim and felt like I was smashing the Titleist but it was going nowhere no matter what shaft I had in it

• Like 1

Interesting.  I've had the opposite experience.  It's lower spin for me on the course.  Almost too low.  I got fitted into the 10* lofted to 9.25*.  I was getting 24-2600 spin indoors at 117 ss with 11* launch.  On the course it's lower on both.  I lofted mine back to A1 setting.  My miss is low on the face and it seems to not kick up the spin, but it launches really low.  Like 8*, with no spin.   

42 minutes ago, B.Easy said:

Interesting.  I've had the opposite experience.  It's lower spin for me on the course.  Almost too low.  I got fitted into the 10* lofted to 9.25*.  I was getting 24-2600 spin indoors at 117 ss with 11* launch.  On the course it's lower on both.  I lofted mine back to A1 setting.  My miss is low on the face and it seems to not kick up the spin, but it launches really low.  Like 8*, with no spin.   

Wow,thats strange wonder whats up with mine

Did they remove your outliers from the Trackman data? If you were in a fitting hitting drivers for an hour it’s easy to get into a groove, the real test is where did the bad misses go. You can really skew the results when you start deleting every 5th or 6th ball because you “missed it”

I haven’t hit the TSR, but I did have the TSi3, and my low heel misses DID NOT get along.

• Like 1

In my experience...

Titleist drivers have always been tee height sensitive for me. Ive been gaming the Epic Speed TD LS since its release, and Ive found that I need to tee it up slightly more. Took about 4-5 rounds to get used to it, but I feel like the difference between few millimeter low can make dramatic difference in the way the driver performs for me. Some drivers lets you get away with low hits more, but my TSR3 is definitely favors the slightly upper portion of the head. Like someone mentioned, try to locate where your strike pattern is (foot powder or something). 

In terms of performance, it was evolutionary not revolutionary for me, coming from Epic Speed. I feel like maybe Im slightly shorter with it, but there are more positives than negatives which was why I kept with it. Maybe give it couple more weeks and see how it goes. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Did they remove your outliers from the Trackman data? If you were in a fitting hitting drivers for an hour it’s easy to get into a groove, the real test is where did the bad misses go. You can really skew the results when you start deleting every 5th or 6th ball because you “missed it”

I haven’t hit the TSR, but I did have the TSi3, and my low heel misses DID NOT get along.

To be honest I don't know for sure but my sim beat every combo imaginable except for the TSR the TSR I picked up like 3 mph ball speed and higher smash factor and my swing speed for some reason was a little faster

44 minutes ago, Gohigh said:

In my experience...

Titleist drivers have always been tee height sensitive for me. Ive been gaming the Epic Speed TD LS since its release, and Ive found that I need to tee it up slightly more. Took about 4-5 rounds to get used to it, but I feel like the difference between few millimeter low can make dramatic difference in the way the driver performs for me. Some drivers lets you get away with low hits more, but my TSR3 is definitely favors the slightly upper portion of the head. Like someone mentioned, try to locate where your strike pattern is (foot powder or something). 

In terms of performance, it was evolutionary not revolutionary for me, coming from Epic Speed. I feel like maybe Im slightly shorter with it, but there are more positives than negatives which was why I kept with it. Maybe give it couple more weeks and see how it goes. 

Yeah that's a great idea I wanted to give it a few rounds but my swing felt spot on as good as it was going to be for 2 days and I was smashing every Club in the bag and that was the only Club that was not performing for me for whatever reason and I tried three different shafts and the results were fairly similar with each. I am going to give it a little time and maybe play with the tight but it just shocks me that it can be that good on trackman Outdoors and then perform way different on the course

3 hours ago, hagimihale said:

spray the face with some foot powder and see where your impact spot is.

some places (Dick's comes to mind) have older technology that doesn't measure side spin correctly. 

TSR3 is great with center face contact, but punishes mishits a lot.

Not accurate at all. Very playable across the design of that face, and specifically in keeping spin in check.

• Like 2

@Brooks_Cupcake, this is Titleist's official stance on the TSR3 vs TSR2.  3 is meant to reward center-face contact.  The movable headweight can be used to slightly tilt the hot spot towards the toe or heel a bit.  But once you get outside of that hotspot, ballspeed goes down and spin goes up.

At least compared to TSR2, which was engineered to give more consistent ballspeed/spin #s across the face: both heel-to-to, and crown-to-sole.  

Titleist's words. Not mine.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gohigh said:

Some drivers lets you get away with low hits more, but my TSR3 is definitely favors the slightly upper portion of the head.

Back in the day I left a few crown marks on relatively-new drivers due to horrible swing paths, and that memory stuck with me.   Hence it took me quite a few rounds to get comfortable teeing the ball higher.  But I agree with your take - once I was comfortable doing so the TRS3 came alive. 

• Like 3

I was grooved during my fitting on Trackman.  My baseline shots with gamer driver were very representative of on course experience on good and bad strikes.  TSR3 was better in every respect and fitter enjoyed naming local holes and calling the preferred flight & shape for me to replicate.  It was giggly good.  Enough for me to pay full retail on the spot ( first & last time ever ). Only had a few rounds on her before winter set in and can now get the same setup here for $200 less.  Already sent her in for a makeover paint job to get rid of the mirror-finish gloss reflection finish - my only complaint (along with the price I chose to pay).  Still have the stock 1K black shaft in play with a Ventus Blue TR on deck, but the 1K has performed identically to the fitting so I haven’t even test drove the Ventus - it’s been that good!

In a nutshell - best driver I’ve owned

• Like 4

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

My tsr3 has been great.  Especially on mishits.  I’ve hit some that look to be performing better than they should based on feel and when I look at the face I came damn close to leaving a sky mark, and it still gets out there decently (I know that it’s very unwrx to miss one this bad 😂).  Low strikes seem to spin less than my on my stealth (no data to back this up).  All in all I’ve found it to perform quite well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, russian7 said:

Upon arrival I played two rounds hitting it with different low spin shaft options and on the course it was completely opposite high launch way higher Spin and way shorter than my sim, im pissed.

My swing has been on every day feeling like I am murdering the ball and it's going up and nowhere.

I don't understand how it can be so good on trackman and on the course it really underperforms.

Its so odd it launches way higher an somewhat balloons and has tons of spin. I even tipped a shaft 1.5" and every combo has been mediocre on the course its crazy!

Anyone else seen this? When i was fitted 2 sessions it was the top performer and on course not a chance.. 

And this is THE reason I leave the fitting with the same club and shaft that I produced the numbers with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

I definitely find it to be more forgiving/consistent spin across the face than the og Sim, and every bit as hot out of the center.  I’d get the loft checked.  Are you using the same shaft from the fitting?  Is it the same shaft you were fitted into with your Sim?

Where could I get the loft of the head checked? I was using the same shaft as the fitting and it was not performing even close and seeing the spin I decided to build a shaft myself and tip it one and a half inches to knock off more Spin and it was still performing the same and then I would hit my sim and it would blow by 25 yards past my Titleist

2 hours ago, nitram said:

And this is THE reason I leave the fitting with the same club and shaft that I produced the numbers with.

Yes I ordered it with the exact head and shaft from the fitting but I also had extra shafts to try and the one from the fitting performed so poorly on the course that I had to try the others

1 hour ago, russian7 said:

Yes I ordered it with the exact head and shaft from the fitting but I also had extra shafts to try and the one from the fitting performed so poorly on the course that I had to try the others

I get that you ordered one allegedly just like it. However, there's a better chance the one you received has more loft than the one you demo'd when at the same setting. Have you adjusted the loft down to see if this reduces launch?

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I hit tsr3 indoor.. i never really trust any indoor numbers... i mean we are indoors..  its a simulation... a round about of what might be happening. Any good golfer knows what their ball flight looks like on there best and worse shots. So on course if its not going similar or better to what your use to seeing with a different driver then somethings way off. This being said.. indoor tsr3 was fantastic. I actually found it hard to not hit the middle for whatever reason. Was hitting best distances. Any misshit did feel very unstable for whatever reason. Felt big time twisting of the club. However... the shot ended up no bad distance or direction wise. Alot of reviewers also saying and showing great things from tsr3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I hit tsr3 indoor.. i never really trust any indoor numbers... i mean we are indoors..  its a simulation... a round about of what might be happening. Any good golfer knows what their ball flight looks like on there best and worse shots. So on course if its not going similar or better to what your use to seeing with a different driver then somethings way off. This being said.. indoor tsr3 was fantastic. I actually found it hard to not hit the middle for whatever reason. Was hitting best distances. Any misshit did feel very unstable for whatever reason. Felt big time twisting of the club. However... the shot ended up no bad distance or direction wise. Alot of reviewers also saying and showing great things from tsr3.

That's very similar to what I found with the TSR3, and why I have one on the way (FedEx says Tuesday delivery, fingers crossed it gets here sooner). With an 8 degree head, it keeps launch and spin down enough that I can play a higher-launching shaft -- the Graphite Design Tour AD UB is one I get along well with, and indoors I couldn't seem to miss the middle of the face when I hit it on three separate occasions. I also felt like moving the weight out to the toe and going flat with the head helped keep my shot shape to a tight draw rather than seeing anything hook. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide