2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

8 degree TSR2

IZang

Depends on your delivery (8*, 9*, 10*) but yes, I think that this head provides an incredible blend of forgiveness, lowish spin, and speed.

I don’t feel like I’m leaving a lot on the table on my best strikes and on misses the results are shockingly usable.

Edited by Chief Penguin
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, IZang said:

Just wondering if this is the unicorn head of keeping the spin low but with a ton of forgiveness? Anyone tried it?

I’ve been playing all the low spin models over the last 5 years TSI4 etc. got fit a few weeks ago ended up with tsr2 8. Very stable head and low spin for how forgiving it is. 

Edited by BostonWRX
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, IZang said:

Just wondering if this is the unicorn head of keeping the spin low but with a ton of forgiveness? Anyone tried it?

Yes, imo.  I saw virtually the same spin as the TSR3, but definitely more forgiving.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

The more and more data that comes out it really seems like Titleist has just absolutely knocked it out of the park with the TSR line. The speed is right up there with everyone else, almost all of their staffers were quick to change from TSi to TSR with the main talking point being just how great the mishits were, and the robot testing has backed that talk up. It really feels like now in their 3rd generation of "the speed project" they've taken their new speed construction and fine-tuned the spin penalties on mishits and optimized the CG. TXG mentions frequently how it's their "driver to beat" when comparing other manufacturer's offerings and you can even see the forgiveness and spin delta popping up on just about any Youtube review/comparison using a launch monitor, regardless of handicap.

Obviously, a lot of the current drivers are going to be in the same ballpark, so I don't want to sound like I'm saying it is head and shoulders above everything else on the market. But it has gotten to a point where I'm considering getting a full Titleist fitting for the TSR driver and woods (maybe even a hybrid) because it just doesn't seem like there is going to be a ton that can be done to improve on this generation. I'm a true club hoe, so I doubt it'd end up being true, but it does feel like you could put these heads in your bag for the next 3-4 years and feel good about not upgrading.

2 hours ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

The more and more data that comes out it really seems like Titleist has just absolutely knocked it out of the park with the TSR line. The speed is right up there with everyone else, almost all of their staffers were quick to change from TSi to TSR with the main talking point being just how great the mishits were, and the robot testing has backed that talk up. It really feels like now in their 3rd generation of "the speed project" they've taken their new speed construction and fine-tuned the spin penalties on mishits and optimized the CG. TXG mentions frequently how it's their "driver to beat" when comparing other manufacturer's offerings and you can even see the forgiveness and spin delta popping up on just about any Youtube review/comparison using a launch monitor, regardless of handicap.

Obviously, a lot of the current drivers are going to be in the same ballpark, so I don't want to sound like I'm saying it is head and shoulders above everything else on the market. But it has gotten to a point where I'm considering getting a full Titleist fitting for the TSR driver and woods (maybe even a hybrid) because it just doesn't seem like there is going to be a ton that can be done to improve on this generation. I'm a true club hoe, so I doubt it'd end up being true, but it does feel like you could put these heads in your bag for the next 3-4 years and feel good about not upgrading.

That is always the dilemma! I made up my mind I wasn’t going to switch this season and now here I am in February going down the rabbit hole again - I’ve tested about everything other than the TSR’s yet so I think I may have to dial one up for a preseason test!

5 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I’ve been playing all the low spin models over the last 5 years TSI4 etc. got fit a few weeks ago ended up with tsr2 8. Very stable head and low spin for how forgiving it is. 

Similar numbers as TSi4?? Or just close enough in the window to work?

46 minutes ago, IZang said:

Similar numbers as TSi4?? Or just close enough in the window to work?

Honestly very similar. Just way more consistent. When you feel like you hit it toe side I feel like it’s a goner. Look up and it’s a baby draw. With tsi4 etc that’s a goner. Tsr2 w ventus combo been great for me. 

• Thanks 1

In short, yes. I was playing the tsr3 since it came out and then at the end of January I compared the numbers on the monitor between the 3 and 2. Ball speed, launch and spin were nearly identical. Then took the 2 on course and it just turned the severity of  my directional misses seemingly in half.

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I have one. Don't have all the data, but just eyeballing it, seems like it goes about as high as my tsi3 9, but with less spin...

• Like 1

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters

9 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

In short, yes. I was playing the tsr3 since it came out and then at the end of January I compared the numbers on the monitor between the 3 and 2. Ball speed, launch and spin were nearly identical. Then took the 2 on course and it just turned the severity of  my directional misses seemingly in half.

That seems like exactly what I’m looking for! Almost too good to be true

Interesting topic. I bought the TSR3 to replace the TSI3 back in July and hit it decently but did feel a strong drop off in distance on off center strikes. Got fitted yesterday and found that I'm better with the TSR2 lofted down a bit to 8.25* with the adapter. Basically I barely lost ball speed with off center strikes on the TSR2, where the loss was much higher on TSR3. He put the adapter in C1 to make the face a bit more open and flatter which helped keep me from over drawing. Really like the results I saw, which resulted in 10 more yards carry on average, and I can't wait to get the new driver in.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

Ai Smoke 9* 🔹🔹🔹w/ Accra TZ6 ST

OG Sim Ti 16.5 w/ D+ LTD 80TX

Cobra King Tec 19* w/ TZ6 95M5

T200-T150 4-PW w/ Accra TZi 115's

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* bent to 48* w/ Accra TZi 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 & 54* & Vokey SM9 58M* D grind w/ PX LS 6.0's

LAB DF3

Chrome Tour

I bought TSR3, missed six fairways in first rd.  I play plenty, but not enough to benefit from TSR3.  After one rd, returned it for TSR2 10', glad I did.  Stuck Ventus Blue TR 6 "s" in it and smack result was ideal.  Over 2 rds, only missed fairway 3 times.  Sleeve at D1, gives me an ideal mid-trajectory.  My prior TSi2 was 9.5, and TS2 was as well, both with the same shaft, trajectory was a bit higher.  For me, it's the best.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 2/9/2023 at 9:59 PM, IZang said:

If you have an upward angle of attack, then personally I think this is driver of the year. Im saying that as someone who is a diehard TaylorMade fan. 

I reluctantly traded in my TSR2 8* for Stealth 2+ 9* simply bc I like TaylorMade. I can say without questions the TSR2 was more forgiving and consistent for me. I hit new all time ball speeds with TSR2.

TSR2 was lower spinning for me than TSR3 and overall it kept the mishits more playable with a much tighter deviation. Push fades with TSR3 spun up around 3000 while TSR2 somehow stayed in the 2500 range

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

These are some heel strikes that retained spin very well

69F16244-6577-4763-967A-C394AAD141ED.png

F14CF958-E502-4129-8C0E-BA01600C8841.png

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

3rd round with the tsr2 8* and just keeps getting better. Went 8 for 11 with it yesterday. 2 of those missed fairways were in the spots where I want to be if not in the fairway but still have clear shots and angle into the green. So it reality I was 10 for 11 in fairways and/or hitting the exact spot intended for a miss.  I really only had one actual miss where I pulled it a little and went through the fairway and had to play a punch recovery shot to the front fringe.

Easily the best driving day I can remember having. 

• Like 1

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I plan to try it out.  I played a TSi3 8* since Oct. 21.  Fit me well (got fit at TPI) and performed just fine.  I kind of blindly upgraded to a TSr3 8* and have honestly found it to be too low launching and spinning after a few rounds on the course.  I’m fairly confident I actually hit it shorter and find it to be less forgiving (probably due to a lack of spin).  That has NEVER been the case for me before, so it’s new territory.

I tried my TSi3 at the range yesterday and will without question be switching back to that over the TSR.  I could try a 9* which might help, but have actually wondered if the TSR2 might be a better next step.  I’m wondering if I can maintain the launch dynamics and spin from the TSi3 and pick up some forgiveness - which I would of course be glad to take.  

Edited by CallawayLefty

22 hours ago, jgreer1421 said:

So is the TSR2 the “current” and the g430 LS with the tour and kaili the other ones?  Isn’t the g430 better even though the TSR2 is faster?

Just now, CallawayLefty said:

So is the TSR2 the “current” and the g430 LS with the tour and kaili the other ones?  Isn’t the g430 better even though the TSR2 is faster?

That is correct.  430LST by numbers are a bit better than the TSR2.  

Like the look of the TSR much better, sound and feel are different, and no real preference either way tbh.  

LAB DF3

Chrome Tour

3 minutes ago, jgreer1421 said:

That is correct.  430LST by numbers are a bit better than the TSR2.  

Like the look of the TSR much better, sound and feel are different, and no real preference either way tbh.  

gotcha - I was just curious as I have been thinking about trying the ping.  Man, as accurate as that was for you, and with it being the longest in a stock shaft, I would have some trouble overlooking that one.  A cheap experiment if nothing else.  

1 hour ago, CallawayLefty said:

gotcha - I was just curious as I have been thinking about trying the ping.  Man, as accurate as that was for you, and with it being the longest in a stock shaft, I would have some trouble overlooking that one.  A cheap experiment if nothing else.  

Without a doubt......just really goes to show how good the TSR.....and really all the drivers are.

I went into that fitting event with pretty low expectations on the Ping tbh.....was VERY surprised how well it did....and honestly how fast the TSR was as well.  Hadn't looked at the TSR numbers on trackman before, and was eye opening session for both of them.

I've got numbers for other clubs......in the midst of trying to figure out what to do......and as many of you guys on here can understand..........really having a mental battle lol.  Some really good numbers with a few drivers.

LAB DF3

Chrome Tour

28 minutes ago, jgreer1421 said:

. . . I've got numbers for other clubs......in the midst of trying to figure out what to do......and as many of you guys on here can understand..........really having a mental battle lol.  Some really good numbers with a few drivers.

If that was me, I'd be choosing based on look and sound (feel)

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I was fitted last December into TSR2 w/GD-UB in 8 degree head and haven’t looked back since. I traditionally use lower spinning heads and have games TSi3 and Stealth Plus in 9 degree heads last couple years (previously was in the Ping LST models). Went into fitting thinking TSR3 was going to be the correct model, but was hitting my launch and spin numbers perfectly with TSR2 and barely sacrificing any distance for added forgiveness vs. TSR3. I also had my driver go against Paradym and Aerojet, but TSR2 was clear winner. Have several rounds in it already and can attest this is a pretty forgiving and long low spin driver. I’m sure if I was a bit more consistent out of the middle, TSR3 would’ve been a better fit, but not nearly as forgiving as TSR2. I can can drift all over the face and still maintain distance and my line. Also feels just as good as anything if not better (only so slightly I may give the edge to Callaway in feel, but really subjective). In terms of looks, I don’t think there’s anything else that looks better (I’m a sucker for all black and a bit of shine, looks more stealthier than the Stealth lol!)

• 3 months later...