2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Being outside and walking a course is just as important to me as playing well

RoyalMustang

Been walking since mid-December due to my course going to CPO because rain was incessant.  We’d finally get dry and in a few days another storm would roll thru.  I rode in a cart first time yesterday and my game sucked.  Back to push cart and hoofing.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

I walk whenever possible. I like to carry as well, but have had to use a push cart in the last year or so because carrying makes my back sore. I've added some different workouts that I hope will allow me to carry again, because I really enjoy it. The only time I take a cart is when it is required--I definitely enjoy those rounds less than walking rounds.

If I had to take a cart every round, I probably would play half the time I do now.

• Like 1

I enjoy walking.  Really did not walk much until March 2020.  Lots of walking in fall/winter/spring here in the South.  However when summer comes it is a different story.  When the temp is 90+ and the humidity is 80+ on a course with significant elevation change walking becomes difficult.  Not due to heat stress, but due to the fact that there is sweat dripping off my hat by the 7th hole.  Lots of riding in the summer.

I don't care for push carts.  Something about pushing and/or pulling a cart makes some weird muscles hurt.   I prefer to carry.  My bag is full of clubs and is not the lightest, but when you are 240 lbs it turns into a rounding error.

44 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

don't care for push carts. 

When I was walking with a full set of clubs, my electric cart made it so much more enjoyable than a manual cart, especially on hilly courses.  Didn't have a remote and never felt I needed it.  But since I now carry just 7 clubs, I find carrying the most convenient way to play, and a 2-wheel push cart will suffice otherwise.  So you might consider an electric if it's affordable.  I'm selling mine, but only locally.  Perhaps you can find a decent used one nearby, but most people seem to keep them.

I enjoy walking, always have. I get into a better rhythm for sure and always used to score better on foot. 

It’s a challenge now. Not age - I am 47 - but chronicled elsewhere on this site I had some serious orthopedic injuries in 2019. The most impactful for walking 18 was a fractured calcaneus (heel bone) in my R foot. Range of motion from ankle to toes is not what it once was, and I still get lots of stiffness and some discomfort in that foot. My foot and ankle surgeon told me I am damn lucky to be able to walk at all — many people cannot after this injury — and that the initial trauma surgeon did a beautiful job piecing things back together. In that same leg I also have no patella, so the knee range of motion and stability is less than ideal. 

I can still walk 18 but I have to pick my days carefully, and I consider it a treat to be able to walk!

I also keep plenty of “vitamin I” on hand. 😁😁

Now living here in western PA, the uneven terrain makes walking harder. The flip side is that the spread-out course built primarily to sell as many homes as possible is unknown here. 

Many days I’ll walk the front and ride the back nine. If it’s not super humid and I feel good, I can walk 18 but not every time out. 

Push cart is mandatory — I haven’t tried to walk and carry, and don’t think I could. 

I just love to play. Walking makes it better, but I’m happy to ride too. 🙂

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

6 hours ago, BALLYBUNION said:

Nice share, and walking is the absolute best for health and better scores.    Treat yourself to a 2.5 carry bag, 9 clubs, and put on a little show for those same people looking at you.   I started my heavy walking around the neighborhood a while back getting ready for the upcoming season.

The 2.5+ is a great bag to carry and even lighter with 8 clubs 😁. My buddies still can’t get over my 3.7 hdcp playing 8 clubs. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

If you are riding in a cart alone, you will definitely go faster, but when I've played with guys paired up in a cart, I've never held them up, and am often the first one to the next tee.

Yes sir… my foursomes of walkers almost always play faster than carts… 

The key is that we all know how to play efficient walking golf. 

plus I love being able to mingle with the different people in the group. 

It’s one of the best ways to spend a day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david.c.w said:

I enjoy walking.  Really did not walk much until March 2020.  Lots of walking in fall/winter/spring here in the South.  However when summer comes it is a different story.  When the temp is 90+ and the humidity is 80+ on a course with significant elevation change walking becomes difficult.  Not due to heat stress, but due to the fact that there is sweat dripping off my hat by the 7th hole.  Lots of riding in the summer.

I don't care for push carts.  Something about pushing and/or pulling a cart makes some weird muscles hurt.   I prefer to carry.  My bag is full of clubs and is not the lightest, but when you are 240 lbs it turns into a rounding error.

I had the same issue. The push carts were killing my back …. It was something about the forward leaning posture when pushing. 

I do like the Tempo Walk though. 

Can’t stand caddies…. Well most caddies. I do enjoy the rare really good guy. 

Started walking whether playing 9 or 18 in 2019 and haven't looked back.  The walk is definitely almost as enjoyable as the round.  I've noticed it doesn't add much if any time to the round.  I play as a single a lot and would typically sit in the cart on the tee for long periods of time waiting.  Still get that some, but the walk helps lower the amount of time waiting between shots!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

So being born with a disability and playing golf at a high level is cheating ?

This should be good......

cheat

(chēt)

v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats
v.tr.
1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.
2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.
3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.
4. To elude; escape: cheat death.
v.intr.
1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.
3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
4. Sports To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.

Looking forward to some evening walks as the light gets better here. It is certainly a good way to break the week up. 

I carry my gear, and will do until the day it is no longer possible to. Im down to a Moonlite bag now, but that works well.  

• Like 3

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

19 hours ago, Robert72 said:

cheat

(chēt)

v. cheat·ed, cheat·ing, cheats
v.tr.
1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.
2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.
3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.
4. To elude; escape: cheat death.
v.intr.
1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.
2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.
3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.
4. Sports To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.

I can't tell if your trolling or just clueless..... either way the ADA is law.

You're OB,  add a stroke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No carts in my country save a few resorts. We take walking as an integral part of the sport. And true, a late 9 in summer with your buddy after work is mostly chatting and hitting the ball, try to hit it pure and planning your bbq on Friday or Saturday night.  Is it beef ribs or brisket? Wine or beer? Who’s coming from the gang?

The late 9 holers in summer is the most relaxing golf of the year. It’s holiday golf. And walking is the frame for it all. 

I agree the course design must be appropriate to walk if you want to enjoy the trek. 

Edited by naval2006
  • Like 4

My wife got me a push cart for Christmas and I'm loving it.  I'm 57, recently retired and got a part time job at a local golf course in the Palm Springs area as a Starter three days a week.

We have a Par 71 course and an executive Par 55 course.  After "work" I often walk 9 holes on the big course or 18 on the executive course.  It's great exercise (lost 16 lbs) and I feel more connected to the course when walking.  I can easily keep up with a twosome in a cart.

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

younger me had a pull cart, older me had a push cart, the more older me has a carry bag.

though, many of my friends like to ride.

my current play partner also likes to carry. we make a good team.

it's about the experience.  we play quickly but are in no hurry to get off the course in two hours like some people.

life's too short.

golf is my mental therapy. I like to enjoy the time there.

sometimes I grab a sandwich to just sit after a round and relax......

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Walked a round this morning. Sunny, but 36 degrees in the 1st tee. It managed to climb to 42 by the end of the round. With a knit hat, neck gator, and winter golf gloves, I managed to stay warm for the most part. I saw other players in carts, and I don't know how they do it. My hands would be frozen to the steering wheel by the 3rd hole. Lol. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 2/14/2023 at 10:06 AM, caniac6 said:

I’m 68, and walk . I got an electric trolley a couple years ago so I can continue walking.

+1  I'm 67 and I walk every round.  I got an electric trolley a couple of years ago as well, and walked over 150 18 hole rounds during the season.  I play early (before the slow players finish breakfast), and made one round (keeping up with a couple of other guys, each in their own cart) in 2:46 from the first tee to the last putt on 18.  Usually, four walkers play in 3:30 from 6300 yards.  Electric trolleys take some getting used to, but as I age, I think they're one of the better inventions I've seen in golf.

• Like 4

65 y/o with a Clicgear 4 will be walking a rolling 18 holes today.  Gonna be near 80*, so packing water along with several fill station on course too.  Should be in the 6.5 mile stroll distance.  All the others will be riding in their electric carts.  My whole body and mind appreciates the exercise.

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

4 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

65 y/o with a Clicgear 4 will be walking a rolling 18 holes today.  Gonna be near 80*, so packing water along with several fill station on course too.  Should be in the 6.5 mile stroll distance.  All the others will be riding in their electric carts.  My whole body and mind appreciates the exercise.

I could not agree more, 68 and use a Clicgear 3.5. 

Another day in Florida. Another course with a mandatory cart policy. Pancake flat with no real hikes between holes. 'Just don't see how people find this enjoyable. Zipped around at a snail's pace in 2:20, and the bars aren't even open yet. Lol. No thanks. Looking forward to walking tomorrow on a very hilly course. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I walk almost every round, nobody else in my group walks, it gets a little lonely but rather have that than ride, riding takes most of the fun out of playing. But I do have to try to play well, the people who say they dont care how they play I understand, but there is a guy I play with that doesnt like when people get competitive, he says that is not what it is about. I think it is. The whole reason a game is played is to play well and to try to win. I do not throw things or yell at anybody I play with but push myself to play well and work at shooting low scores. I think that is the most fun. To be within yourself pushing yourself to play well. If I dont I still have fun, but to not try that sounds like a waste of time 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wham49 said:

I walk almost every round, nobody else in my group walks, it gets a little lonely but rather have that than ride, riding takes most of the fun out of playing. But I do have to try to play well, the people who say they dont care how they play I understand, but there is a guy I play with that doesnt like when people get competitive, he says that is not what it is about. I think it is. The whole reason a game is played is to play well and to try to win. I do not throw things or yell at anybody I play with but push myself to play well and work at shooting low scores. I think that is the most fun. To be within yourself pushing yourself to play well. If I dont I still have fun, but to not try that sounds like a waste of time 

Hang in there, and tell mr. non-competitive you haven't played a course yet that didn't have a scorecard. Rarely do I tee it up without trying to break my personal best score on that course. The older one gets the less often it will happen but you still try.