2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Being outside and walking a course is just as important to me as playing well

RoyalMustang

I started walking towards the end of fall, and I love it.  It gives you time to reset between shots, helps to keep my body loose, and keeps me focused.  I had always used carts before to get my rounds in quicker, but I don't mind the extra time on the course.  I probably just can't play 18 as much during the work week.  

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

3 minutes ago, ANimz said:

I started walking towards the end of fall, and I love it.  It gives you time to reset between shots, helps to keep my body loose, and keeps me focused.  I had always used carts before to get my rounds in quicker, but I don't mind the extra time on the course.  I probably just can't play 18 as much during the work week.  

If you are riding in a cart alone, you will definitely go faster, but when I've played with guys paired up in a cart, I've never held them up, and am often the first one to the next tee.

• Like 4

I used to walk and carry my bag almost exclusively before I moved south in 2000. Most of the courses around here require carts and/or have long walks between holes so you wouldn't want to walk them anyway. Whenever I am able to walk a round of golf these days I really enjoy it and miss being able to walk regularly. I would love to be able to get a push cart and walk again every round. ☹️

• Like 3

I was 100% with the OP when I was growing up in Utah.  At the time most of the mountain courses were not lined with houses and it was awesome to be outside feeling like there was nothing around…except the occasional deer or moose.

Unfortunately, I live in the plains states now and every course I play, with a few notable exceptions, are lined with houses.  It is just not the same now that I have to compete with lawnmowers, traffic and all the other sounds that civilization bring.

I just got a push cart and I can't wait to start walking more. Always thought it was a more enjoyable way to spend the day and you're more "in" the round or in the moment when you walk, but carrying your bag can get tedious. 

Summers here I'll probably still use the cart, but the rest of the year i'm hoping to walk more. Hopefully get my buddies to start walking too

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

Playing well is still primary to me, but that said, I walk 99% of my rounds and try to take the time to enjoy my surroundings.  The most gratifying rounds I play are generally early evening 9 holers, by myself and on an empty course.  Hit it.  Find it.  Hit it again.  Peaceful, pleasant, alone with your thoughts, great pace and no sene of grinding.

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

There is nothing slower than 2 hacks in a cart, or someone playing from a cart on a cart-path only day.

Most people don't use the cart as efficiently as they can.  They'll drive to one ball and wait for the player to hit, then drive over to the other ball.  Often, they could either park somewhere in between or drop one player off then go to the other ball.  Cart-path only is just brutal, and you end up walking as much or more than if you just walked, not to mention what a pain it is to usually have to grab multiple clubs because you aren't sure of distance.  It's one of the best ways to leave clubs out on the course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islesmb said:

Most of the courses around here require carts and/or have long walks between holes so you wouldn't want to walk them anyway.

I live in PA but my sons are in Orlando, so once in a while I will golf in Florida.  The last time I went to a course there I asked if they had a walking rate, and the guy in the pro-shop said he didn't know because no one had ever asked.  Playing the course, I could see why.  I swear you drove a quarter of a mile to some tee boxes.  There are one or two courses in my area where you either wouldn't want to walk because of the green to tee distance or they just don't let you.  I don't play those often.

• Like 2

Being able to walk 9 holes after work would be a dream to me.  Unfortunately my hours and commute to the nearest course don't allow for that.

I agree though that if I were able to do it 1-2x per week, I really wouldn't care what I shot.  Just being out there for 90 minutes or so to unwind and really to practice shots your normally wouldn't hit.

• Like 1

Walking has its benefits; it just feels good and right for golf.  But I have to agree with others; courses lined with housing tracts don't have the same impact on the walk as courses in the countryside.  As for playing well; I always care about my game, whether walking or using a cart, probably because I don't need to walk for physical exercise.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Sometimes I walk, sometimes I ride, it depends on the course. I always want to play my best and shoot the lowest score so if the course is really hilly or very long walks between holes, I'll opt for a cart so I don't tire coming down the stretch. Also a few courses around my area demand carts, no walking allowed. If given the choice and the weather is nice, I love walking.

Edited by kwcsports

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

5 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

My epiphany is that I enjoy the walk (there a few houses on the front 9) and being outside as much as I enjoy golf.

Good for you and I agree with this statement in particular.  Due to health and the damage being a lifelong caddie did to my body, I can no longer walk even 9 holes.  But I have come to enjoy the days in the sun more than the golf itself.  Enjoy those moments while you have them and keep seeing the trees in spite of the forest.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

People look at me like I am about to run the Western States 100 when they see me with my pushcart. Maybe they should try walking: it helps salvage an otherwise poor round and is a great release at the end of the day. 

Anyways, just wanted to share this. 

Nice share, and walking is the absolute best for health and better scores.    Treat yourself to a 2.5 carry bag, 9 clubs, and put on a little show for those same people looking at you.   I started my heavy walking around the neighborhood a while back getting ready for the upcoming season.

• Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

I had never walked until COVID hit. Got a push cart and now only ride if my knee is acting up. Didn’t realize what I was missing. I also get right to my ball, probably because I’m on a direct line towards it and not worrying about my riding partner’s ball. I think I play faster when walking.

• Like 4