Kohler...then Sand Valley?

Bizzle80

Booked with some buddies to Kohler for the first time this summer. Playing all 4 courses...but wondering if its worth maybe skipping a 36 hole day at Blackwolf and going to play Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes instead? What would be the more fun/memorable 36?

...or should we just try and stay an extra day and head that way?

Coming from Los Angeles, and not sure if I'm heading that way again anytime soon.

While the other courses are fine they are ancillary to Whistling Straits. That's not to say you wouldn't enjoy them or that you'd be disappointed, but no one I know who has ever been came back talking about all the memorable times at Blackwolf Run 🤣. Straits is why people make that trip, and they play the other courses as an "add on". I'd definitely suggest Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes over any course in Kohler besides the Straits.

Just keep in mind that it's a decent drive between the two. About 4/12 - 5 hours round trip so if you're thinking of making the drive, playing 36, and then driving back that could make for a loooooooongggg day...

If it's an option, I think I'd just stay an extra day (preferably at or very close to SV) and add SV/MD to the trip. It will make life much easier that trying to drive back and forth. 

• Like 1

Some people really love Black Wolf Run, but as ABH said Straits is the main draw. 

If you can add on a day and spend it at SV that would be ideal but it may be too late for summer of 2023. Unless there’s a late cancellation lodging booked up a while ago. As a non resort guest their tee time policy is 30 days out. Another thing to consider. SV is closer to 3 hours from Milwaukee as compared to Kohler being 1. Something to consider based on when you’re flying out. (I realize it’s also possible you are flying out of chicago.)

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of driving to me. SV/MD feel like their own trip but if you really want to put some miles in it can be done.  If you really like Pete Dye courses I wouldn't skip Blackwolf Run, it's a cool little property IMO especially when you add in The Baths which I highly recommend. The River is a test in the truest sense of the word and you can almost feel Pete Dye daring you to go for certain shots(I failed his test btw), Meadow Valleys is pretty ho hum to start but really picks up on the back 9.   

• Like 2

Add a day and drive to Steven's Point or Wisconsin Rapids and play SV/MD the next day

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

21 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

Booked with some buddies to Kohler for the first time this summer. Playing all 4 courses...but wondering if its worth maybe skipping a 36 hole day at Blackwolf and going to play Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes instead? What would be the more fun/memorable 36?

...or should we just try and stay an extra day and head that way?

Coming from Los Angeles, and not sure if I'm heading that way again anytime soon.

Man....Play Whistling Straits and then go play Sand Valley and Mammouth Dunes.  The other courses at Kohler are fine but not even close to these 3 courses.  You said you dont know when you will be back....I would play Straights and then head to SV

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I tried to book SV for my upcoming August trip but unfortunately, like StudentGolfer said, you have to be 30 days out. So instead we got onto Lawsonia for 36. I wanted to do SV but honestly Lawsonia looks incredible especially for the price. I enjoyed BWR courses but we are skipping them this year. Cannot justify those prices. 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

4 hours ago, Chanceman said:

How far out can you book WS if not staying there?

I was only able to book the Straits course first twilight on the 26th. Which is okay with us. We should be able to finish 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

5 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Sorry? How far ahead of the day was that? 1 week? 2weeks? 

Oh sorry I should have put that. 26th of August is when I have it scheduled. I think you can only book prime Straits Course times if you’re staying on sight, or maybe if you’re a single but don’t quote me on that. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

20 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Oh sorry I should have put that. 26th of August is when I have it scheduled. I think you can only book prime Straits Course times if you’re staying on sight, or maybe if you’re a single but don’t quote me on that. 

So you were able to book a twilight tee time at Straits 6 months in advance without a hotel reservation?

3 hours ago, Chanceman said:

So you were able to book a twilight tee time at Straits 6 months in advance without a hotel reservation?

Correct. It’s an 8 guys golf trip and that’s the only way we could play straits. Irish we could book though but we are skipping that one. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

46 minutes ago, eboettne said:

I may be in the minority but I loved The Irish course.

I do enjoy Irish, have played it twice, but when we all talked amongst the group none of them had played Straits so that’s what they wanted. I tried to do Irish AM then Straits twilight but it would have been cutting it very close for time so we opted not to. 

• Like 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I think the River at Blackwolf is worth playing along with the Straits.  I've never teed it up at the Irish but have heard it isn't that great.   Would definitely try to get 36 in at SV. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

21 minutes ago, TBone0576 said:

I think the River at Blackwolf is worth playing along with the Straits.  I've never teed it up at the Irish but have heard it isn't that great.   Would definitely try to get 36 in at SV. 

I absolutely loved both of the BWR. Both offered such an array of beautiful land and great shots. When we played Meadows last year the wind was probably 20-30MPH the entire round which made for some interesting tests for sure. 

• Like 2

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 1 month later...

Good luck getting on at SV, but it is worth a try and certainly worth a trip.  If it were me, and I couldn't get on at SV, I would play The Straits, Blackwolf, Lawsonia and Erin Hills.  But hey, whatever you choose it is pretty good golf.  The accommodations at Kohler and the food are pretty good.

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:46 PM, Phreddy said:

Good luck getting on at SV, but it is worth a try and certainly worth a trip.  If it were me, and I couldn't get on at SV, I would play The Straits, Blackwolf, Lawsonia and Erin Hills.  But hey, whatever you choose it is pretty good golf.  The accommodations at Kohler and the food are pretty good.

We are going to WS this Sept and we are now thinking of making the drive to Lawsonia as we can't get a tee time on Sunday at Erin Hills.  Our current schedule is:

Thurs: The Baths (10 hole, par 3 course)

Fri: Whistling Straights / Irish

Sat: Meadow Valley / River Course

Sun: River Course  

I am heading out next week, my first trip to Wisconsin to play golf. 

We're flying into to Chicago late, driving to Erin Hills in the morning and playing Wednesday and then driving to Kohler that night.

Playing BWR River and Batths Thursday, Straights and Irisih Friday, Straights again Saturday. 

Driving to SV Saturday night and playing Sunday and Monday and then half the group heading to Madison and flying home Tuesday, the other half driving to Minneapolis and catching red-eyes home Monday night. 

A few questions for those who know the area. 

1. Maps show Ohare to Erin Hills is 112 miles. Coming from California, 112 miles in LA or SF is a lot different than Central CA. Is 2 hours drive time what we should plan for? 

2. Maps show Whistling Straights to SV is 135 miles. Similar, should we expect 2.5 hours in travel? 

3. SV to MSP is 211 miles. 3.5 - 4 hours a good time to estimate? 

4. Weather looks good, but there is a chance of rain in Kohler. Are the rains quick thunderstorms and a downpour at this time of the year? or Should we expect all day drizzles? 

Apologize for all the questions, but the trip has come upon on us real quickly.

Thank you for all your responses. 

FWIW, SV was similar to Bandon Dunes, where I go frequently. Starting about 45 days out, there are quite a few cancellations. We only had one night booked there and almost a month and a half ago, we were able to add rooms for the second night. Seems like a lot of big groups book long time in advance and then with then cancel a month out. I've also had luck getting rooms within a week as people cancel. The reservations desk at Bandon told me they were calling it Covid cancellations. 

As far as waiting lists, the only time I have received a call while being on a waiting list was if I was changing rooms between stay. Both times I've been in that situation, a week to 2 weeks before I received a call and they were able to put me in a room where we could stay for the length of our stay. 

20 minutes ago, hbrar99 said:

A few questions for those who know the area. 

1. Maps show Ohare to Erin Hills is 112 miles. Coming from California, 112 miles in LA or SF is a lot different than Central CA. Is 2 hours drive time what we should plan for? 

2. Maps show Whistling Straights to SV is 135 miles. Similar, should we expect 2.5 hours in travel? 

3. SV to MSP is 211 miles. 3.5 - 4 hours a good time to estimate? 

4. Weather looks good, but there is a chance of rain in Kohler. Are the rains quick thunderstorms and a downpour at this time of the year? or Should we expect all day drizzles?

You might run into some traffic in the morning when you leave the O'Hare area, but you're generally going the opposite direction of the rush at that point. Nothing like California traffic. I'd say monitor the traffic Monday to see what estimates look like to get a better gauge. You might run into traffic in Milwaukee as well, but I haven't been through there in rush hour in a long time. One word of warning, be careful driving the stretch from the IL/WI border to Milwaukee. Cops love to patrol that stretch and pick out cars with IL plates for the most minor of infractions. I believe @DavePelz4 had an experience with that going to Erin Hills a few years back.

Driving within Wisconsin should be pretty accurate to the estimates, generally pretty empty roads compared to what you're used to. The only real hiccup tends to be traffic around Wisconsin Dells, but that's usually a weekend thing. Never driven to MSP so no info on that.

Weather depends on the day. Sometimes this time of year we get all day downpours, sometimes just scattered showers, no way to predict.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

11 minutes ago, VNutz said:

You might run into some traffic in the morning when you leave the O'Hare area, but you're generally going the opposite direction of the rush at that point. Nothing like California traffic. I'd say monitor the traffic Monday to see what estimates look like to get a better gauge. You might run into traffic in Milwaukee as well, but I haven't been through there in rush hour in a long time. One word of warning, be careful driving the stretch from the IL/WI border to Milwaukee. Cops love to patrol that stretch and pick out cars with IL plates for the most minor of infractions. I believe @DavePelz4 had an experience with that going to Erin Hills a few years back.

Driving within Wisconsin should be pretty accurate to the estimates, generally pretty empty roads compared to what you're used to. The only real hiccup tends to be traffic around Wisconsin Dells, but that's usually a weekend thing. Never driven to MSP so no info on that.

Weather depends on the day. Sometimes this time of year we get all day downpours, sometimes just scattered showers, no way to predict.

Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

Based on the sequence of the trip, you shouldn't have to go through the heart of Milwaukee and the GPS should have you on the 894 bypass.  If for some reason you have to go through DT Milwaukee, add 30 minutes to your time as they have a ton of construction going on.  Made that trip a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and it wasn't fun.  

VNutz is correct, check to see the license plates on the rental.  If they're IL, I wouldn't go more than a couple of MPH over the limit, as they will pull you over for having IL plates.  In Wisconsin, they refer us neighbors to the south as FIB's... F****** Illinois Bastards. I was pulled over for going 73 in a 70 zone less than a mile after crossing into WI.

Great trip...you'll have fun.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Based on the sequence of the trip, you shouldn't have to go through the heart of Milwaukee and the GPS should have you on the 894 bypass.  If for some reason you have to go through DT Milwaukee, add 30 minutes to your time as they have a ton of construction going on.  Made that trip a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday and it wasn't fun.  

VNutz is correct, check to see the license plates on the rental.  If they're IL, I wouldn't go more than a couple of MPH over the limit, as they will pull you over for having IL plates.  In Wisconsin, they refer us neighbors to the south as FIB's... F****** Illinois Bastards. I was pulled over for going 73 in a 70 zone less than a mile after crossing into WI.

Great trip...you'll have fun.  

Thank you both the replies. Very helpful. Very good to know as I got my first speeding ticket in 10 years heading to Mammoth a few weeks. 

And I appreciate the insight on the rain. Pack the rain gear and hope we don't need it. 

WS to Sand Valley will largely be on two lane county highways/state highways and you will roll through some small towns.  2.5 hours should be adequate but if you get behind farm machinery or semis it can slow you down considerably.  Your probable route will take you from Fond du Lac to Oshkosh on I-41.  That is a heavy traffic stretch.  Personally I would give myself an extra 1/2 hour.  When you play the Straits you will walk along the shore of Lake Michigan.  The average temperature of Lake Michigan in May is between 35-40 degrees.  You will be playing golf next to a giant ice cube.  It might be 65 or 70 inland at SV or Erin and 50 at the Straits.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, ode said:

It's too bad those renting a car in Illinois get lumped in😂

Ripon and Rosedale.....they do not mess around with writing tickets (if heading to Lawsonia on Hwy 23 West).

No experience in Ripon but Rosendale is definitely a ticket waiting to happen if you don't observe the speed limit. 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeHatesSnow said:

No experience in Ripon but Rosendale is definitely a ticket waiting to happen if you don't observe the speed limit. 👍

I may be the only person in the history of Rosendale to get a warning.  My wife has gotten two tickets.  That is still a very touchy subject at our house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3