2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 JM Eagle LA Championship (April 27-30)

tonyj5

19 hours ago, Stooch said:

For whatever reason there's no announce crew at the PGA event in Mexico, kinda liking the ambient sounds of golf with player and caddie commentary, wish there was a way to choose this feature whenever I view. lol

does the turning off the center channel on your sound system work? Thats what I do when I cant stand NFL commentators.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

It's native to where I live in Melbourne and the broader south & east of Australia too, and we don't allow it to infest our greens, including better munis but certainly any decent private club. We're talking about some of the great world courses including Royal Melbourne, dozens of them. Not a hint of poa at The Grange in Adelaide where the LIV event was a week ago, it would be infested without eradication and continued treatment. I grew up playing munis in the '70's and have plenty of experience of the crappiness of poa greens.

Over here, any course superintendent, greenskeeper or whomever doesn't keep their job if they don't keep it at bay. I've served on the committee of a top 100 Oz club where we dealt with this issue, that's why I have some knowledge about this.

If we can do it here, you can do it on the west coast, so why is it tolerated? Kill it off, relay/plant with some form of bent or whatever and then just work like crazy to keep it out. It's do-able, we have done it for 50 years so you certainly can.

This is why I get frustrated. Please forgive me if I am a touch strident. This Wilshire CC course is a little beauty with playable grass on these greens.

You must have the expertise in the US. If not, come and get some people from Oz. The $ can't be a problem if we do it here.

Why does everyone in your part of the world just shrug their shoulders to the issue, I don't understand. Poa greens make putting (and chipping) a lottery and tee time dependent.

Even if I was a club member knowing what I know, I wouldn't accept it even for club play.

Apparently the supes at all the west coast courses don't have same level of agronomy skills as you Aussies do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Apparently the supes at all the west coast courses don't have same level of agronomy skills as you Aussies do. 

I doubt it.

We apparently have higher standards to what we accept of our greens than your west coast courses, though.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

37 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I doubt it.

We apparently have higher standards to what we accept of our greens than your west coast courses, though.

West Coast, California, hmmm... anti smog laws, anti gasoline laws, let's keep the poa alive laws by banning pesticides etc.  It's CA's way of getting back at those damn golf courses 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Maybe it isn't the poa per se, but what the primary grass is.  Is bent used in Oz?

Yes, most greens of decent courses in my area of Oz are bent. The Melbourne sand belt clubs are all bent greens, eg Royal Melbourne greens feature a special strain of bent known as Sutton’s Mix, some have other strains.

The green work is to keep poa out of the bent. It gets done, not easy and with constant vigilance and $.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

From PGATour, "Players have made 68.3% of putts from 4-8 feet on all putting surfaces since 2015. When isolating those numbers to just poa annua greens, the make percentage drops to 66.5%". If we remove poa from the overall putting stats it probably goes to 69% for none Poa greens so a difference of 2.5% putts made 4 to 8 feet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

From PGATour, "Players have made 68.3% of putts from 4-8 feet on all putting surfaces since 2015. When isolating those numbers to just poa annua greens, the make percentage drops to 66.5%". If we remove poa from the overall putting stats it probably goes to 69% for none Poa greens so a difference of 2.5% putts made 4 to 8 feet.

Like when they asked Kevin Kisner why he doesn’t like poa.  “Ball don’t go where it should.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lobby said:

Too many commercials on golf channel. 

it’s getting annoying 

2 shots, then a commercial. MUST tape and fast forward thru commercials!  But I have to say I prefer this to “Playing Through” or “Eye on the Green” that the networks use to cram more commercials in coverage.  HATE IT!!

• Like 2

Just now, ChronicSlicer said:

If her and Cheyenne were both at -9, I'd feel better about this. It's never easy coming from 4 back, she'll need help from those ahead of her or have to shoot at least 66 or better, likely better. 

She's definitely going to need to back up yesterday's 66 with another low round. Cheyenne has been amazingly consistent, but will the pressure get to her? An even par round opens the door. In five previous final rounds this season she has only one round in the 60's, a 69 at the Honda.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Again, I believe that the final flight does not get it done. 

Not rooting for anyone specifically and I truly believe it's more random who wins today (given how putting is such a wildcard here and one can literally come back from 7 down  - eg 20+ players still can do it).   If I were betting, hedging my bets...  

2 hours ago, HMHS said:

Again, I believe that the final flight does not get it done. 

Not rooting for anyone specifically and I truly believe it's more random who wins today (given how putting is such a wildcard here and one can literally come back from 7 down  - eg 20+ players still can do it).   If I were betting, hedging my bets...  

If betting, it's a top 10 or top 5 or other prop type bets for this event.  I guess if you like someone with long enough odds then why not perfect place for it, but I even avoid match-up bets just too many wildcards.  lol