2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 JM Eagle LA Championship (April 27-30)

tonyj5

Very surprised by the low scores, but at the same time the cut is projected at even par. Plenty of big numbers out there, so the course is once again proving to be a good test.

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, mallrat said:

Seriously, the LPGA gets 2 hours and the cut into that by 45 minutes? LPGA has to go elsewhere

Then you have to take time off for all the commercial breaks! The US coverage for LPGA tournaments is abysmal. Considering the money involved in sponsorship, advertising and the broadcast is a paid service we the consumers are getting ripped off when it's covered in the US. If every other country can broadcast and stream live a full round why can't the LPGA get someone to do this in the US? ☹️

OK, I get it, it's poa, but my goodness. I think I saw better putting at the Drive, Chip, and Putt competition. Lol. 

Can the feature groups ask The Golf Channel to swap groups? Painful to watch. Oof. The body language screams "Get me out of here!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

16 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

OK, I get it, it's poa, but my goodness. I think I saw better putting at the Drive, Chip, and Putt competition. Lol. 

Can the feature groups ask The Golf Channel to swap groups? Painful to watch. Oof. The body language screams "Get me out of here!" 

Vu wins the first Major then can't even make the cut the following week! Looks like another lottery who will win this week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mallrat said:

Seriously, the LPGA gets 2 hours and the cut into that by 45 minutes? LPGA has to go elsewhere

No. LPGA tv times for TH/F were from 6:30-9:30 EST. 6-9 EST on the weekend. In spite of the PGA Tour cutting into the LPGA window GC stayed with LPGA coverage past the 9:30pm tv window end time. 

Edited by grm24

4 hours ago, AKL Kiwi said:

Then you have to take time off for all the commercial breaks! The US coverage for LPGA tournaments is abysmal. Considering the money involved in sponsorship, advertising and the broadcast is a paid service we the consumers are getting ripped off when it's covered in the US. If every other country can broadcast and stream live a full round why can't the LPGA get someone to do this in the US? ☹️

@AKL Kiwi Even the SkySportsUK YouTube livestream =piggybacking off the GolfChannel broadcast (I think). ie the same limitations/ constraints apply?

Would be interested to hear if your broadcast (in NZ or AU presumably?) differs from GolfChannel … and especially interested, if available via YouTube!! 🙏 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Would be interested to hear if your broadcast (in NZ or AU presumably?) differs from GolfChannel … and especially interested, if available via YouTube!! 🙏 

Here in NZ we get the feed from the US when a tournament is played there so we are entirely limited to what the US broadcasters give us. My pay TV provider SKY Sports has said to me they would be willing to pay more and broadcast it if more coverage was available.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AKL Kiwi said:

Here in NZ we get the feed from the US when a tournament is played there so we are entirely limited to what the US broadcasters give us. My pay TV provider SKY Sports has said to me they would be willing to pay more and broadcast it if more coverage was available.

Ditto in Oz via Fox Sports/Kayo.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Absolute carnage.

Unsuitable venue for a pro golf event, greens disgraceful.

Watched the first 2 rounds, won't be watching any more.

Any of the top pros playing this next year want their heads read.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Why do the leaders get penalised by getting afternoon R3 tee times?

Give them morning tee times when the poa isn't quite so bad.

Who am I kidding, the event is a debacle anyway.

Edited by Rapidcat

Pretty much sums it up.

jm-eagle-la-championship-presented-by-pl

• Haha 1

Joking aside, I don't recall the greens being this bad in the past few years. The course has always been a tough test, but it's borderline silly. Do the members fight to get an early morning tee time so that they don't have to play in the afternoon? Do other top clubs in the area have the same problem?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it appears this course is great...until it's not. Can't have it both ways folks. West coast venues all have poa.  Some places it's worse than others. There are PGA tour players that avoid Pebble Beach, despite it being one of the top courses in the country, because of the poa. It's part of the deal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Well it appears this course is great...until it's not. Can't have it both ways folks. West coast venues all have poa.  Some places it's worse than others. There are PGA tour players that avoid Pebble Beach, despite it being one of the top courses in the country, because of the poa. It's part of the deal.

Why isn't the poa eradicated?

Wealthy golf clubs have the $ to do it, so why isn't it done if you want to provide decent and fair tournament venues and better playing conditions for members?

Why? Maybe because a rump of club self entitled members can revel in the thought that their greens are too tough for the pros, they're perfectly fine, we play on them every week, all why struggling to break 100.

It's not the west coast swing, its the poa swing and any top golfer should just avoid it.

Imagine a decent LET event up against this LA farce; imagine if it was an Aramco event with all that prizemoney? Either way you'd find a Symetra quality field in LA.

Just not good enough Middling Mollie.

I want something that tests my skill, not my luck, particularly when it’s my livelihood.

Like putting on broccoli someone said.

Plus the course is too short, every 2nd par 4 the pros are hitting wedges or close as a 2nd shot.

Visually interesting, as a pro event course a joke.

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

Wealthy golf clubs have the $ to do it, so why isn't it done if you want to provide decent and fair tournament venues and better playing conditions for members?

Why? Maybe because a rump of club self entitled members can revel in the thought that their greens are too tough for the pros, they're perfectly fine, we play on them every week, all why struggling to break 100.

It's not the west coast swing, its the poa swing and any top golfer should just avoid it.

Imagine a decent LET event up against this LA farce; imagine if it was an Aramco event with all that prizemoney? Either way you'd find a Symetra quality field in LA.

I told ya it's a weed.  I've been trying get weeds off my lawn for decades and I gave up.  Long live the dandelions.  Anyone wanna try to putt on my lawn for free practice?

OTOH, this makes the final 2 rounds both interesting (and a crapshoot).  Maybe we can ask the previous champs what gave them the edge?  eg Brooke, Nasa, Minjee, etc. 

Methinks Ashok doesn't get as lucky with her slam dunk eagle and long putts today and therefore, drops out of the top 5 by the end of the round.   

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

My understanding is that poa cannot be eradicated. You can temporarily get rid of some, but it comes right back faster than the greens can recover.  At least that seems to be the case on the west coast.

7 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

My understanding is that poa cannot be eradicated. You can temporarily get rid of some, but it comes right back faster than the greens can recover.  At least that seems to be the case on the west coast.

It's native to where I live in Melbourne and the broader south & east of Australia too, and we don't allow it to infest our greens, including better munis but certainly any decent private club. We're talking about some of the great world courses including Royal Melbourne, dozens of them. Not a hint of poa at The Grange in Adelaide where the LIV event was a week ago, it would be infested without eradication and continued treatment. I grew up playing munis in the '70's and have plenty of experience of the crappiness of poa greens.

Over here, any course superintendent, greenskeeper or whomever doesn't keep their job if they don't keep it at bay. I've served on the committee of a top 100 Oz club where we dealt with this issue, that's why I have some knowledge about this.

If we can do it here, you can do it on the west coast, so why is it tolerated? Kill it off, relay/plant with some form of bent or whatever and then just work like crazy to keep it out. It's do-able, we have done it for 50 years so you certainly can.

This is why I get frustrated. Please forgive me if I am a touch strident. This Wilshire CC course is a little beauty with playable grass on these greens.

You must have the expertise in the US. If not, come and get some people from Oz. The $ can't be a problem if we do it here.

Why does everyone in your part of the world just shrug their shoulders to the issue, I don't understand. Poa greens make putting (and chipping) a lottery and tee time dependent.

Even if I was a club member knowing what I know, I wouldn't accept it even for club play.

• Like 2