Opinions; Best Putter Tech….

roundersmitty

3 hours ago, plutch said:

Just got my LAB Link.1, amazing putter and it's all in the tech.  

Coming from a Mallet, I wanted to have a Blade as well, maybe switch on and off see what I was putting better with.

Could have purchased another Scotty, went with the LAB, so happy, you can FEEL the putter moving in the right direction, instant confidence, so excited to putt & grind with this thing. 

I wish more people thought like this. What is the point of owning a $500 Scotty with literally 0 tech when there are many options out there with features that will help improve your putting. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

7 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

I wish more people thought like this. What is the point of owning a $500 Scotty with literally 0 tech when there are many options out there with features that will help improve your putting. 

Not everyone putts objectively better with a $500 L.A.B either, I've tried them all and ended back at a Tour Rat. Game what works for you, right?

• Like 3

One thing that is probably overlooked is a putter where the loft and lie are milled to spec not bent. Man plop one down milled to your specs and that thing sits so square, just set your hands and go. 

Wouldn't really consider it putter tech but more manufacturing technology. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Isn't Axis another lie-angle balanced brand?

I like LAB's performance, despite the looks.

Yeah.   I actually like the look of the Link.1 and the Mezz wasn’t bad.  I like center shaft putters fine though.  If I didn’t like CS then I would definitely want to try an Axis1 for longer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

Not everyone putts objectively better with a $500 L.A.B either, I've tried them all and ended back at a Tour Rat. Game what works for you, right?

I 100% agree. I have tried every LAB except  the Link 1 havn't stuck with any of them. The company wont even tell me the headweight of their putters.  BUT I think a $500 milled boutique putter will perform the same as your 3k Rat but that's a whole other discussion haha.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

One thing that is probably overlooked is a putter where the loft and lie are milled to spec not bent. Man plop one down milled to your specs and that thing sits so square, just set your hands and go. 

Wouldn't really consider it putter tech but more manufacturing technology. 

What putter brands do this? Or are you more thinking of custom builds? 

21 minutes ago, bigolherschel said:

What putter brands do this? Or are you more thinking of custom builds? 

I mean this is milled into all OTR heads if you fit into their "standard spec" but I'm more talking custom putter makers.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

5 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Isn't Axis another lie-angle balanced brand?

I like LAB's performance, despite the looks.

Axis1 putters are torque balanced about the gravity axis (vertical) whereas L.A.B. putters are torque balanced about the lie angle axis. A subtle difference that will matter for some folks and maybe not for others.

Some Seemore models are mostly torque balanced about the gravity axis as well as most Edel putters. Axis1, L.A.B., and Seemore torque balanced models also have the CG located at the center of the putter face. Edel torque balanced putters have the CG much closer to the heel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Axis1 putters are torque balanced about the gravity axis (vertical) whereas L.A.B. putters are torque balanced about the lie angle axis. A subtle difference that will matter for some folks and maybe not for others.

Some Seemore models are mostly torque balanced about the gravity axis as well as most Edel putters. Axis1, L.A.B., and Seemore torque balanced models also have the CG located at the center of the putter face. Edel torque balanced putters have the CG much closer to the heel.

That’s what I would have answered if I could have articulated it.  I had to go with “yup”.  
Seemore putters were the first piece of golf equipment that really helped my golf game.  My cross dominant eyes seem to aim the center shaft putters better and the RST helped me start to get into a consistent set up.  
When it comes to the Lab putters, and the axis1 in limited testing, they both just go back and through really well for me…

• Like 1

For me the two ball was revolutionary when it came out and still works today. Probably the most impressive tech I’ve seen.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

7 hours ago, jomatty said:

That’s what I would have answered if I could have articulated it.  I had to go with “yup”.  
Seemore putters were the first piece of golf equipment that really helped my golf game.  My cross dominant eyes seem to aim the center shaft putters better and the RST helped me start to get into a consistent set up.  
When it comes to the Lab putters, and the axis1 in limited testing, they both just go back and through really well for me…

I think there is something simple yet effective to the RST technology. It really eliminates one variable from putting - alignment.  The M5 HT that I have is the only putter I've ever seen where the plumbers neck enters the head at the same angle as the shaft. It really changes the look and feel of the putter while providing offset. 

20230506_205029.jpg.b14f4dc1da6009a4c2f88b442428fbf4.jpg

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

12 minutes ago, HighHooks said:

Only Axis1 has the CG on the center of the putter face. They own the patents to do so. Delivers consistent ball speeds throughout the entire face as seen in the Qunitic testing video they have on their website. 

You can't patent a CG location. You can patent a design that has a particular CG location as a result.

However, I slightly misspoke about the CG. The horizontal CG of the Seemore and L.A.B. are in line with the center of the putter faces, but offset to the rear where the shaft enters the head.

Sacks Parente feel is other worldly . Never had that in a putter. Will not say it’s a better putter but still….

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

16 hours ago, jomatty said:

That’s the difference with the Axis1 putters for me: The putter tracks so well and I can definitely feel the weighting essentially keeping the head tracking. It doesn’t feel like tech as much as it feels like the laws of physics running the putter.

I don’t feel like the Axis1 is that similar to LAB Golf or Seemore or Edel, and I have tried all four. The CG is different on the Axis1 and it is easy to feel it the first time you roll it. The putter swings square, wants to swing square. It takes a real effort to pull or push putts with it. Very, very easy to hit your start lines and I don’t have to be very technical to use it, it doesn’t require any special setup or stroke type. The torque-free putters do not give me that feeling of the putter head naturally moving down a track. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Speaking weighting: Anyone tried the Makefield putters? Brandon Shattuck won the PGA club pros championship with the V-S model in the bag, said lots of pros asked him about it. 

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Speaking weighting: Anyone tried the Makefield putters? Brandon Shattuck won the PGA club pros championship with the V-S model in the bag, said lots of pros asked him about it. 

Yes.  Just got a Makefield VS and played a lot with the weights on the practice green before putting it into play.  Had one of my best putting rounds even. So easy to line up and the roll is perfect.  

11 minutes ago, roundersmitty said:

Yes.  Just got a Makefield VS and played a lot with the weights on the practice green before putting it into play.  Had one of my best putting rounds even. So easy to line up and the roll is perfect.  

That’s great. Were you fitted or just bought one?

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

That’s great. Were you fitted or just bought one?

A friend of mine just outside Toronto knows Micheal Little and purchased one last year.  Since then he became a rep/fitter for the company.  I got to try the VS and new half moon model. Both models awesome.  Can pm his info to anyone in the area if interested. 

5 hours ago, roundersmitty said:

A friend of mine just outside Toronto knows Micheal Little and purchased one last year.  Since then he became a rep/fitter for the company.  I got to try the VS and new half moon model. Both models awesome.  Can pm his info to anyone in the area if interested. 

That’s really cool. I am into these approaches to weighting to reduce the wobble. The Makefield has a patent pending, not sure what it is for. I like the looks of the half-moon model. Does it have the same weighting as the VS? Looks a little different. Web site could use better photos. They don’t show a good look from address and there are no photos of the soles. The putter’s face looks interesting. 

15 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

That’s really cool. I am into these approaches to weighting to reduce the wobble. The Makefield has a patent pending, not sure what it is for. I like the looks of the half-moon model. Does it have the same weighting as the VS? Looks a little different. Web site could use better photos. They don’t show a good look from address and there are no photos of the soles. The putter’s face looks interesting. 

The half moon has more weight ports than the VS.  Same weighting concept though.  Feels very sold and responsive off the face.  Standard loft is 1.8degrees and cusp face really rolls the ball right 

• Like 1

I want to like the LAB link but the whole screws all over the thing ruins it for me 

maybe it’s just the fact I torn apart quite a few putters and weighed them but I don’t quite buy the screws are for precision weighting…

I’ve pulled apart a lot of old pings and it doesn’t matter manganese bronze or 17-4 they all weigh between 299 and 301 grams…. In a cast head from the 60’s to early 90’s. Like enough that I question the accuracy of my scale and not the production quality of the heads lol. 

but yah I’d go LAB for idk innovation or tech whatever you want to call it. 

historically I’d still say Ping. I mean they experimented with face balancing and different hosel types… heck before it got banned they had the ballomatic (or whatever they were called) double bend shafts just below the grips back in the day. Karsten probably did more for putters than anyone else ever has, kinda sad what they’ve become today. 

edit for typos 

Edited by MachineHack
Typo

I don’t think they’re feeling too sad over at Ping about what they’ve become today, given that they make great putters. take a Ping putter over a LAB Golf putter any day. In fact, I did. Had a MEZZ1 and did not like it. A 2021 Ping Fetch is currently in my bag. Excellent putter.

I don’t see a lot of “tech” in the LAB Golf putters. It is far more how the putter is set up and how you use it, but it’s not a natural feel to me, especially the models with the forward press grip. I assume that’s why they are not patented designs as much as an approach to putting. The Axis1 does a lot more of the work for you than the others, and it is that specific center of gravity feature that is patented. 

3 hours ago, MachineHack said:

I want to like the LAB link but the whole screws all over the thing ruins it for me 

maybe it’s just the fact I torn apart quite a few putters and weighed them but I don’t quite buy the screws are for precision weighting…

I’ve pulled apart a lot of old pings and it doesn’t matter manganese bronze or 17-4 they all weigh between 299 and 301 grams…. In a cast head from the 60’s to early 90’s. Like enough that I question the accuracy of my scale and not the production quality of the heads lol. 

but yah I’d go LAB for idk innovation or tech whatever you want to call it. 

historically I’d still say Ping. I mean they experimented with face balancing and different hosel types… heck before it got banned they had the ballomatic (or whatever they were called) double bend shafts just below the grips back in the day. Karsten probably did more for putters than anyone else ever has, kinda sad what they’ve become today. 

edit for typos 

The screws have absolutely nothing to do with the total weight of the L.A.B. putters. They allow mass adjustments to zero out the torque about the lie angle. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

The screws have absolutely nothing to do with the total weight of the L.A.B. putters. They allow mass adjustments to zero out the torque about the lie angle. 

I mean LAB says on their website it’s for length and lie 

length means they do increase or decrease the overall head weight.

But my point wasn’t that they’re strictly for increasing or decreasing weight, I said precision weighting because i understand they are also moving it around for lie

I had to double check their website again to see the lie adjustment they offer and it’s larger than I remember so maybe I am mistaken (i.e, I’m wrong lol) because to go 65 to 75 on lie you are going to need to shift a lot of weight around.

But I think 10 screw weights as the solution is fitting a style requirement into a performance requirement (which hey their brand is the screws so go for it) just not my cup of tea visually.

9 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I don’t think they’re feeling too sad over at Ping about what they’ve become today, given that they make great putters. take a Ping putter over a LAB Golf putter any day. In fact, I did. Had a MEZZ1 and did not like it. A 2021 Ping Fetch is currently in my bag. Excellent putter.

I don’t see a lot of “tech” in the LAB Golf putters. It is far more how the putter is set up and how you use it, but it’s not a natural feel to me, especially the models with the forward press grip. I assume that’s why they are not patented designs as much as an approach to putting. The Axis1 does a lot more of the work for you than the others, and it is that specific center of gravity feature that is patented. 

I don’t imagine they are either but I do feel like Karsten had a lot more putter design thoughts than Ping has ever had since 

I also think Karsten would be rolling over in his grave seeing the PLD heads machined in China. I mean bloke bought his own casting company so he could cast his heads in the US.

15 minutes ago, MachineHack said:

I mean LAB says on their website it’s for length and lie 

length means they do increase or decrease the overall head weight.

But my point wasn’t that they’re strictly for increasing or decreasing weight, I said precision weighting because i understand they are also moving it around for lie

I had to double check their website again to see the lie adjustment they offer and it’s larger than I remember so maybe I am mistaken (i.e, I’m wrong lol) because to go 65 to 75 on lie you are going to need to shift a lot of weight around.

But I think 10 screw weights as the solution is fitting a style requirement into a performance requirement (which hey their brand is the screws so go for it) just not my cup of tea visually.

I suspect they put in the proper number of mass adjustment locations appropriate for the design and achieving the desired torque balancing precision. I also suspect they would do away with the screws if there was an equally cost effective way of achieving the same end result because most folks, such as yourself, don't appreciate such an industrial aesthetic.

5 hours ago, MachineHack said:

I have 13 PXG clubs and a Lab Link1 putter.  So…I have basically a bag of screws.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1