2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping Blueprint Forged S

slalomdude

For those on the fence with on whether or not to game the 4 and 5 irons, here is my updated opinion.  I have about a dozen rounds in on these now, and the 4 and 5 irons are spectacular!   I already previously mentioned easy to launch easy to work left right high low…. But the forgiveness really shines. Heel, toe or low on face all should still find the green.  I am not a high ball speed player any more.  The 4 & 5 irons are my 190 & 205 clubs respectively.  Can be longer if you want to hit a lower draw, or can drop and stop with a floaty fade.  They are magic I tell you.

• Like 1

The 5 is sweet … agreed 

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I’ll have to give my 4i a try.  I have been impressed with the 5i.

Ping has been good at sneakily making progressive sets in their players line(s) the past few iterations.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

47 minutes ago, Yuck said:

For those on the fence with on whether or not to game the 4 and 5 irons, here is my updated opinion.  I have about a dozen rounds in on these now, and the 4 and 5 irons are spectacular!   I already previously mentioned easy to launch easy to work left right high low…. But the forgiveness really shines. Heel, toe or low on face all should still find the green.  I am not a high ball speed player any more.  The 4 & 5 irons are my 190 & 205 clubs respectively.  Can be longer if you want to hit a lower draw, or can drop and stop with a floaty fade.  They are magic I tell you.

By the way this works great for my old man gapping set up.  I carry a 7 wood on calm days and a 19 degree hybrid on windy days, both 220 carry clubs.

10 hours ago, mason82 said:

I bought a basically new set of the BPS from a member here and so far love them. Perfect dense feel that I have been chasing since I had the OG blueprints. My other set is the 923 Tours and they are super soft, but I think I like the slightly denser feeling of the BPS. And they are more forgiving as well. Think these will be my set this year. 

Dense is a very good descriptive word for the BPS. It’s a heavy hit with and very flush feel. I’ve been very pleased with mine and the feel really is unique in a very good way. Honestly haven’t felt that kind of feel since my MacGregor Vfoil 1025m. I’ve had soft and solid but these feel like the ball is on the face a split second longer. Also the turf interaction is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I received my set and they felt very light to me, I ordered them with the Modus 105 S and -0.5". I called Ping and they told me sw is C9. When I ordered them, the employee said we didn't need to specify the weight as D2 as Ping would adjust it for me. Ping told me with the shorter shaft and shaft type, thats the heaviest they can make it. The rep told me to add lead tape to the head. Anyone know if reshafting will be covered under warranty? I would like them at regular length if I can get the weight back up. Ping rep told me to go back to where I ordered them but did not give me any info regarding cost. I'm going into the shop today when they open but just would like to have some info regarding their warranty policy before I talk to them.

Edited by true8

37 minutes ago, true8 said:

I received my set and they felt very light to me, I ordered them with the Modus 105 S and -0.5". I called Ping and they told me sw is C9. When I ordered them, the employee said we didn't need to specify the weight as D2 as Ping would adjust it for me. Ping told me with the shorter shaft and shaft type, thats the heaviest they can make it. The rep told me to add lead tape to the head. Anyone know if reshafting will be covered under warranty? I would like them at regular length if I can get the weight back up. Ping rep told me to go back to where I ordered them but did not give me any info regarding cost. I'm going into the shop today when they open but just would like to have some info regarding their warranty policy before I talk to them.

I’ve had them warranty a driver head that broke within 2 years.  Was simple.

I think in this case.  It’s less of a warranty with ping and more of a customer service issue with the dealer you bought the clubs from.  Sounds like it’s not a manufacturing defect, but the store employee was misinformed.  The burden fall to the shop to make it right and stand behind the product they sold.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Yuck said:

For those on the fence with on whether or not to game the 4 and 5 irons, here is my updated opinion.  I have about a dozen rounds in on these now, and the 4 and 5 irons are spectacular!  The 4 & 5 irons are my 190 & 205 205 & 190 clubs respectively. 

Yes I'm a grammarian. 😉

Edited by underwater

10 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’ve had them warranty a driver head that broke within 2 years.  Was simple.

I think in this case.  It’s less of a warranty with ping and more of a customer service issue with the dealer you bought the clubs from.  Sounds like it’s not a manufacturing defect, but the store employee was misinformed.  The burden fall to the shop to make it right and stand behind the product they sold.

Golf Town is sending the clubs back to Ping and requested to change shaft back to standard length and SW at D2. Now I'm wondering if they'll just add extensions or reshaft it completely? Anyone have any idea what they will do? Forgot to ask at the store as I was in a rush.

13 hours ago, true8 said:

Most Tour pros have lead tape applied to the backs of their irons and wedges. Try it, you might like it.

Otherwise, the same heads and shafts at .5" longer finished length will bump the swing weight up from C9 to D2.

Edited by Louis_Posture

On 4/17/2024 at 10:12 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

I have played 36 Holes with my Blueprint S and been to the range three times.  I tested all three with Recoil 110 F5 graphite, as this was a very good shaft for me, and the only one I had three of.  The PXG's have been sold, but were played in Recoils, the other three are still on hand.  All were in the 7 iron and all were the same loft and lie.  I AM NOT a ping iron homer, never really cared at all for a single Ping iron.  Now I love their woods(Driver and 5 wood+, never cared for a thin 3 wood).

Previous Iron Sets (oldest to newest)

Srixon ZX7 (6-PW, ZX5 - 5 iron)

PXG 0317ST (6-PW, CB - 5 iron)

Cobra Tour (5-GW)

Feel (Completely Subjective and YMMV) Best to worst

ZX7

BPS

PXG

Cobra

So for me, growing up playing Mizuno's and Bridgestones for YEARS, however feel was not why I chose an iron, but obviously for many reading the Srixon was the best feel.  I choose based on scoring and performance, not feel, but  Srixon is Srixon so of course they feel good.  The BPS is not 1020, so not a huge disappointment.  The PXG and the Cobra when hit on the screws felt very similar.

Off Center (Toe side is my miss)

All perform admirably on misses.  PXG was the worst, and the BPS, ZX7 and Cobra Tour were all very similar.  On thin shots the Cobra perform the best, with BPS and Srixon having similar final distances and being close.

Performance on Center strikes

I have made some changes to my swing since last winter and the lower spinning Cobra's and Srixon's leave a bit too be desired.  I tried a couple of different shafts, and even tried weakening the lofts and changing the golf ball, but that created some other issues, so I want a design that spun a bit more for my swing.

I did not save my numbers but in essence off of Turf with a Z Star XV

Srixon Spun the lowest and launched the lowest, dispersion was good left right, a little off front to back.  It is better with the diamond.

Cobra was similar to the Srixon, but with more forgiveness.  Both went farther than I wanted.

BPS launched just a tick lower spun more (to the tune of 650 RPM) which helps on early morning rounds(Dew), slight rough issues be closer to a normal distance shot.  Heavy rough they flew even less than because their starting spin was so much higher.

Turf Interaction.

This winter as I changed my swing I found myself digging too much with the Tours.  I was also adapting to the tours and dropping posture, which hurt.  In the warmer months they are great.

Pings I only got to hit a few shots from wetter lies from rain one afternoon this week and they performed well, not as good as the Srixons for an admitted digger, but still very well.

Size 

The BPS are obviously smaller than the Srixon's and Cobra Tours.  Maybe that has led to my better iron play with them, or just the head shapes performance.  I do not care, I like the better performance and am happy.

I put the DG MID 115 X100's back in the pings and will play them like that for awhile (have a couple of tourneys coming) and then later this year decide if the Axioms go in or the recoils.  I may take a trip to CChampion and test the blueprints with shafts they offer as I need Graphite (wrist injury) and not sure pulling and moving around all of my shafts if it would not just be easier to go there and try shafts.

How do you like the dg mid 115 x100s in irons? How is their spin? Coming from standard x100 worried they would spin too much 

7 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

How do you like the dg mid 115 x100s in irons? How is their spin? Coming from standard x100 worried they would spin too much 

I have played them 5 or 6 rounds now.  However I am coming from Axiom 105x and before that Recoil 110 F5's.  I haven't had any issues with the spin, and distances seem to be pretty what I was expecting, haven't had any time to test them on a LM.  

I will say my home course has very firm greens so the extra spin isn't causing any issues, and yardages still seem to be good.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

36 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have played them 5 or 6 rounds now.  However I am coming from Axiom 105x and before that Recoil 110 F5's.  I haven't had any issues with the spin, and distances seem to be pretty what I was expecting, haven't had any time to test them on a LM.  

I will say my home course has very firm greens so the extra spin isn't causing any issues, and yardages still seem to be good.

I’m in south Florida by the water it blows 25 daily. How have the mids been in the wind for you?

Does anyone else think these irons are...... hot?

Whenever I hit these they tend to go quite far.

Not really a fans that blast off the face. 

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

For some odd reason I find myself intrigued by these irons. The last time I played a set of Ping irons was when I had a chance to purchase through their PUD program when I was in the industry. I know they won’t feel quite as soft as some irons I’ve played in the past but I might get past that if I can dial in some tighter dispersion. That’s what I’m after this season. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Irons TBD

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Putter TBD

Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

These are stronger lofted than anything I have ever played.  PW is 45 degrees.  I am used to 46 / 47 degrees.  4 & 5 iron seem slightly hot, but it is probably just the extra forgiveness.  Miss-hit shots going further than expected, pure shots only the loft difference impacts my yardage's

Net result I am maybe 3 yards longer 6- PW and 5 yards longer on  4 & 5 iron.  I like the new gapping, but I had to move away from my traditional 52 / 58 wedges to 50 /54 /58.  So bottom line, slightly stronger lofts not “hot faces” are the difference to me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

Hitting them at the Ping fitting day on track man I was pretty surprised how far they were going. I would've weakened the lofts if I'd have bought them.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:42 PM, true8 said:

Golf Town is sending the clubs back to Ping and requested to change shaft back to standard length and SW at D2. Now I'm wondering if they'll just add extensions or reshaft it completely? Anyone have any idea what they will do? Forgot to ask at the store as I was in a rush.

Did you get fitted for these irons? What are you going to do when you get the clubs back from Ping and realize that your lie angles are off because of the increased length? Should have at least tried the lead tape before making more permanent changes.

16 minutes ago, BCULAW said:

There is mention of these being longer than expected in terms of distance. I am currently in 620CBs and really like them but would love them to be a bit longer. Will BPs provide distance over the 620s?

In my experience yes.  Particularly if you are a higher speed and spin players.  These are fast irons that are pretty low spin for their category.  I found them similar from a forgiveness standpoint, but the bps were a couple of mphs faster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzRoger said:

Did you get fitted for these irons? What are you going to do when you get the clubs back from Ping and realize that your lie angles are off because of the increased length? Should have at least tried the lead tape before making more permanent changes.

When I did the fitting it was with standard length shafts. I was swinging well and comfortable with the length. It was black dot which is what I also ordered at -0.5”. I didn’t want to lead tape it as I wanted it come from the factory at that weight. 

16 hours ago, JMH1220 said:

Didn’t like enough to buy?

Honestly I was pretty let down by the fitting and available shafts at the fitting were minimal (this is in part due to the new Ping fitting head). The lack of ability to really dial in an iron set that would cost me 1600 was what stopped me. It was too rushed and not enough options for me to drop that kind of money without knowing for sure. Since then I bought a set of New Level 480 TCs that I'm really enjoying and I spent half the money. The BPS were nice and I may still pick them up at some point. Unfortunately, Ping wants to add 40 bucks per club for me to play the shaft I prefer. It was no upcharge from New Level.

On 4/25/2024 at 6:42 PM, true8 said:

I suspect they will add extensions.

51 minutes ago, Sam217 said:

Honestly I was pretty let down by the fitting and available shafts at the fitting were minimal (this is in part due to the new Ping fitting head). The lack of ability to really dial in an iron set that would cost me 1600 was what stopped me. It was too rushed and not enough options for me to drop that kind of money without knowing for sure. Since then I bought a set of New Level 480 TCs that I'm really enjoying and I spent half the money. The BPS were nice and I may still pick them up at some point. Unfortunately, Ping wants to add 40 bucks per club for me to play the shaft I prefer. It was no upcharge from New Level.

I feel you on the shaft up charge. It’s a bummer when other OEMs can offer the same shaft at no extra cost. I get some others like Axiom or anything that costs a lot more to produce. Puzzling to be frank on some items over others. 

Also, it does suck that only a few shafts are available at my local store due to the change in fitting design. I will call the place I do my fittings at to see what they can do. I assume they’ll use their shaft system and it’ll allow for any shaft to be tested. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Irons TBD

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Putter TBD

Titleist Pro V1

Did we ever get to the bottom of the mystery PING toe and heel/hosel weighting system of the Blueprints?

I've seen factory built Blueprint heads removed and there is a black shaft plug with a number stamped on it.  I've see the number "4" embossed on that black plug when looking at the exposed bottom.  I believe this to be a 4g tungsten impregnated rubber plug that is clearly for swingweighting.  

I'm curious if this is the only weight that lives in the heel of the Blueprint or is there also a bullet style weight like TM uses down in the bottom of the hosel, to match the toe screw. (?)

Frankly, if this black rubber 4g weight is the only thing in the heel, I don't see a lot of need for extreme monitoring of toe/heel balancing when re-shafting.  Just get your desired sw right using traditional lead or brass tip weights and be done.  Initially I thought there was some seriously hefty ~11g plug balancing done to not sway the CG.  But it take much more than a 4g hosel weight to move the sweet spot (if that rubber 4g plug is all that's in play).

Thanks!

IMG_1204.png

Edited by underwater