2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Blueprint Forged S

slalomdude

3 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

Yeah but he also never put them in. Stuck with his gamer shaft. Also Ian did a review too and he was praising it like crazy but yet again also didn’t put it in. I watch what goes in gamer sets more than what people say about things

Okay. I can give you my boy @aenemated who went from DG to Axiom in his gamers. And says it’s no contest… Either way, as I said earlier. Different ppl, different results. I def wanna find out for myself and will soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TiScape said:

Okay. I can give you my boy @aenemated who went from DG to Axiom in his gamers. And says it’s no contest… Either way, as I said earlier. Different ppl, different results. I def wanna find out for myself and will soon.

True facts. 

I was an S400 guy for many, many years. Tried out some graphite a couple years back (couple different versions of MMT and Steelfibers specifically) and they just didn't jive with me. Moved on back to steel but lighter for a while - KBS $-Taper Lites but just due to some achey joints when playing a lot (turf can get pretty firm here in the desert), really wanted to try graphite again but was hesitant based on prior experience.

I've loved the switch from a Diamana whiteboard (still rockin those in my 5W, 7W and 22 hybrid) to a Ventus Black in my driver a while back ... so when Fuji dropped the Axioms, was totally interested. The many positive reviews I read/watched helped. Happened upon a set of pulls on eBay that were exactly the setup I wanted; 105s for 4-PW, 125s for my 50, 56 and 60 for about half what they'd have cost new. Pulled the trigger and did the build (I am NEVER boring out .355 to .370 hosels ever again - god, that was a pain of a job) ... and couldn't be more stoked. 

For me; they produce the best ball flight I've had in years. They don't have that sort of whippiness I felt from the MMT or the boardiness I found in Steelfiber. They just feel stable and smooth.

I forget the reviewer - might have been Matty - that said they're game changers when it comes to iron shafts. In my experience, I strongly agree with that statement. 

Ok, I gotta get outta this Blueprint thread before my 620s find out 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

9 hours ago, tbone18 said:

Anybody put graphite shafts into these clubs????

Just ordered a mixed set with the Steelfiber 110s, will let you know how they feel.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I spoke with PING this morning and my desired Modus shaft won't be in stock until July (what?!?!).  So I discussed the notion of re-shafting some Blueprint heads myself with Modus 120 that I have found locally.  I explained that I was seasoned in club building - decades.

...the rep was adamant that this was a bad idea because I won't be able to acquire the exact tip/toe weights they use to get the balance right.  He also suggested that there is a ~1 gram tolerance that must be met between the toe and hosel weight. "We don't recommend folks re-shaft these heads regardless of their club building skill because they don't have the right components to get our exacting tolerances.  The sweet spot would move around too much".

I call BS on that notion.  To move the CG/sweet spot around you need to have significant weight change of at least 10 grams one way or another.  I think PING is getting a little too proud of their engineering.

Edited by underwater

13 minutes ago, underwater said:

I spoke with PING this morning and my desired Modus shaft won't be in stock until July (what?!?!).  So I discussed the notion of re-shafting some Blueprint heads myself with Modus 120 that I have found locally.  I explained that I was seasoned in club building - decades.

...the rep was adamant that this was a bad idea because I won't be able to acquire the exact tip weights they use to get the balance right.  He also suggested that there is a ~1 gram tolerance that must be met between the toe and hosel weight. "We don't recommend ANYONE re-shaft these heads regardless of their club building skill because they don't have the right components to get our exacting tolerances.  The sweet spot will move around too much"

I call BS on that notion.  To move the CG/sweet spot around you need to have significant weight change of at least 10 grams one way or another.  I think PING is getting a little too proud of their engineering.

Just to confirm, the Modus 120 is the shaft they don’t have in stock?  Stiff?

26 minutes ago, underwater said:

...the rep was adamant that this was a bad idea because I won't be able to acquire the exact tip weights they use to get the balance right.  He also suggested that there is a ~1 gram tolerance that must be met between the toe and hosel weight. "We don't recommend ANYONE re-shaft these heads regardless of their club building skill because they don't have the right components to get our exacting tolerances.  The sweet spot will move around too much"

How would they do fittings and swap shafts from something like an X100 to a Modus 105s, by their metrics, without drastically changing the CG then?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, underwater said:

By his claims they would change both heel and toe weights equally (ratio)

Sorry, I meant at Ping fitting events. I’ve never been to one so idk how they do it, I was assuming they had a head with a universal adapter to try out various shafts/flexes. 
Unless they just have a couple shafts available and you’re left with only being able to try those few specific shafts/flexes. 

21 hours ago, tbone18 said:

Anybody put graphite shafts into these clubs????

I reshafted with Dart TSPX 105 F4 at +1/2".  They finished right at D2- 2.5.  I hit them last night for the first time.  Compared to the MMT 105 I had in my ZX7, these Dart shafts seem a little more stiff.  I am a little worried, Maybe too much so for my swing right now.  I'll hit a few more buckets and see if things improve. 

Did you buy heads only were the clubs built to +.50 from Ping with steel shaft 

45 minutes ago, tdeutmeyer said:

I reshafted with Dart TSPX 105 F4 at +1/2".  They finished right at D2- 2.5.  I hit them last night for the first time.  Compared to the MMT 105 I had in my ZX7, these Dart shafts seem a little more stiff.  I am a little worried, Maybe too much so for my swing right now.  I'll hit a few more buckets and see if things improve. 

Dart 105F4 = Strong stiff. Nearly X, but not quite.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

7 hours ago, underwater said:

...the rep was adamant that this was a bad idea because I won't be able to acquire the exact tip/toe weights they use to get the balance right.  He also suggested that there is a ~1 gram tolerance that must be met between the toe and hosel weight. "We don't recommend folks re-shaft these heads regardless of their club building skill because they don't have the right components to get our exacting tolerances.  The sweet spot would move around too much".

7 hours ago, danielryanw said:

How would they do fittings and swap shafts from something like an X100 to a Modus 105s, by their metrics, without drastically changing the CG then?

Yeah that reeks of "customer support speak" because to know anything about club building is to know that not only is what he is saying silly, it isn't even possible PLUS they themselves don't even adhere to that. I had a serial number matched set of iBlade heads with a 7-iron that was noticeably lighter than it should have been compared to the others, like 4-5g I think. This is fairly typical of all the major OEMs as that's about a 2% manufacturing tolerance on head weight, but to pretend that they are gram perfect with a 1g tolerance for anything is obnoxious, especially if any claims about CG are being made too. You could add a 10g weight to the toe and CG would move less than 1mm. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

57 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yeah that reeks of "customer support speak" because to know anything about club building is to know that not only is what he is saying silly, it isn't even possible PLUS they themselves don't even adhere to that. I had a serial number matched set of iBlade heads with a 7-iron that was noticeably lighter than it should have been compared to the others, like 4-5g I think. This is fairly typical of all the major OEMs as that's about a 2% manufacturing tolerance on head weight, but to pretend that they are gram perfect with a 1g tolerance for anything is obnoxious, especially if any claims about CG are being made too. You could add a 10g weight to the toe and CG would move less than 1mm. 

Ya. Front line customer support isn't going to be a legit answer. We all know that, and that's why we're on here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Posted (edited)

With PING's best-practices about hosel and tip weight balance - how would a PING fitter properly fit a BP-S fitting head with a DG X100 TI and then pop in a 95 gram shaft for the next customer and have the fitting club still perform within guidelines.  PING does 'tip weight' the fitting shafts to get the swingweight normalized for their various offerings, but then the notion of heel-toe balance would go out the window.

A 7i head weighs ~270 grams.  Once you hit your desired swingweight (D2 or such), having a balance discrepancy of 3g between the hosel weight and toe screw (1.2% of the entire head weight) is complete non-issue in the grand scheme.  You'd be moving the sweetspot by indiscernible amounts, and due to other factors, probably not really moving it at all. (anyone who has drilled 3 grams of metal out of the hosel knows that the pile of metal shavings left on the workbench is meaningless)

My buddy bought a used set of BP-S with modus 105 and re-shafted with Px LS 6.5 and lengthened then by about .5". To get the SW right he had to leave the 'PING installed' 4g tip weights out of them (he had to insert a 1g and 2g hosel weight in the 9 and PW to get them right) and says he loves them and they play great. (and he plays to a 2.5hc)

Edited by underwater

23 hours ago, tdeutmeyer said:

I did the same thing, I had MMT 125tx in my i59s, decided to put the Dart V TSPX 120 f5s in my BPSs.  The first range session I thought “what have I done?”.  They felt like rebar. I think there’s a “break in” period with graphite.  Definitely the case with the dart Vs.  After only a couple of rounds the sweet little kick at impact that I experienced during fitting arrived.  I now love them, they are incredibly straight shooters, with a perfect window for me.  The MMTs were great too, super smooth but more linear, lacked the kick the dart Vs give.  I liked the dart Vs so much, in true WRX fashion I put a Lin-Q Black TSPX  60 F5 in my 10k, it too is a really under rated shaft, maybe the smoothest x flex shaft I have played and I own a few:). Give them a few rounds I’m guessing you’ll have the same experience. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

1 hour ago, mileslong said:

I did the same thing, I had MMT 125tx in my i59s, decided to put the Dart V TSPX 120 f5s in my BPSs.  The first range session I thought “what have I done?”.  They felt like rebar. I think there’s a “break in” period with graphite.  Definitely the case with the dart Vs.  After only a couple of rounds the sweet little kick at impact that I experienced during fitting arrived.  I now love them, they are incredibly straight shooters, with a perfect window for me.  The MMTs were great too, super smooth but more linear, lacked the kick the dart Vs give.  I liked the dart Vs so much, in true WRX fashion I put a Lin-Q Black TSPX  60 F5 in my 10k, it too is a really under rated shaft, maybe the smoothest x flex shaft I have played and I own a few:). Give them a few rounds I’m guessing you’ll have the same experience. 

I'd like to echo this. I think there has been a break-in for sure for my DARTs. I also think F4 is plenty stiff against MMT tx. Not much difference. The F5 likely take more break-in, and never quite get equal.

Posted (edited)

I get the skepticism around Ping building clubs with all the weights, but I trust that they are diminishing whatever variables possible and building consistent iron sets, keeping CG and forgiveness to particular tolerances. My bps feel very consistent, and all within a 1/2 swing point, down to the shaft labels being put on consistently. For the price I paid for them, it finally feels I got what I paid for compared to what I’ve received over the past couple years. 

I find lots of joy building clubs exactly to what I want too, not doing it this time. And I will admit my iblades order was not that good back in (I think) 2018, that was all jacked up. 

Edited by Whatnogarnish
  • Like 3

Anybody else spin these significantly more than anything else on the market? I had fitting couple weeks back and same shaft vs comparable heads (p7mc, zx7+srixon’s blade, t100 etc) and these spun like 1500 rpm’s more (8k compared to like 6400)… kind of disappointing as I was looking to upgrade my iblades, which did not have the same problem btw. I ordered the p7mc’s in the end.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Speeder Evo VI 661 X

TM SIM2 Ti 15* - Tensei AV Raw White 75 TX

TM M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Glide PF 50*, Epon Tour M 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Ping Anser 2

2 hours ago, mattman said:

Anybody else spin these significantly more than anything else on the market? I had fitting couple weeks back and same shaft vs comparable heads (p7mc, zx7+srixon’s blade, t100 etc) and these spun like 1500 rpm’s more (8k compared to like 6400)… kind of disappointing as I was looking to upgrade my iblades, which did not have the same problem btw. I ordered the p7mc’s in the end.

yikes…new P series imminent.

Should see more protos soon with a fall release 

2 minutes ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

yikes…new P series imminent.

Should see more protos soon with a fall release 

Lol i dont really care man they’re just muscle cavities how better can they be? I ordered because they were my favorite I hit and it’s the first fitting I’ve had since I was 14. My iblade specs were way way off

• Like 1

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Anser 2

6 minutes ago, mattman said:

Lol i dont really care man they’re just muscle cavities how better can they be? I ordered because they were my favorite I hit and it’s the first fitting I’ve had since I was 14. My iblade specs were way way off

Search out the Proto 4 iron that Rory and Colin are hitting. They’ll be better. 

Glad you’re getting new sticks! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Search out the Proto 4 iron that Rory and Colin are hitting. They’ll be better. 

Glad you’re getting new sticks! 

👍 I saw that. Good looking club but I will live lol

• Like 2

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Anser 2

2 hours ago, mattman said:

I am spinning the blueprint S slightly less than my TCB’s.  They are going slightly further.  I have the stock lofts in the Blueprint S which are stronger than anything I have ever played.  In the past I had played 34 or 35 degree 7 irons & 47 degree Pitching wedges.  These are 33 degree and 45 degrees.  I have not adjusted lofts yet, but I will likely go a degree weak.  I would expect loft for loft these spin like most other player CB’s.  Only other factors could be you are comparing new, clean grooves to your current gamers or the CG for your past gamers was a bit higher.  I would assume you are comparing identical shafts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yuck said:

I am spinning the blueprint S slightly less than my TCB’s.  They are going slightly further.  I have the stock lofts in the Blueprint S which are stronger than anything I have ever played.  In the past I had played 34 or 35 degree 7 irons & 47 degree Pitching wedges.  These are 33 degree and 45 degrees.  I have not adjusted lofts yet, but I will likely go a degree weak.  I would expect loft for loft these spin like most other player CB’s.  Only other factors could be you are comparing new, clean grooves to your current gamers or the CG for your past gamers was a bit higher.  I would assume you are comparing identical shafts.

Yeah I think it is something to do with grooves. Same shafts (and tried a number of them in each head). These were all demo/fitting heads, off mats. So the only factor would be the heads themselves. Launch was similar, spin was higher in Pings. I suspect it’s something they do to their grooves in production process. Glad to hear you’re not having same problem.

TM P7MC 4-P - X100

Ping Anser 2

20 hours ago, mattman said:

Interesting. I tested against T150 and the Blueprint S was basically identical in spin (I did go power spec though). My old AP2s were spinning in the low/mid 7000 range, the T150 and Blueprint S were right around 6400-6500 with 7 iron.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 8* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

PING G410 LST 14.5* - Project X Even Flow Black 80S

Titleist TSi2 hybrid 18* - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 6.0

Titleist TS2 hybrid 22* - Project X Even Flow White 90S

PING Blueprint S 5-PW - Dynamic Gold 120 X100

PING S159 Hyrdropearl 50.12S - Dynamic Gold S300

PING S159 Midnight 54.10H - Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 60.12D - Dynamic Gold S300

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7s - SuperStroke Zenergy Tour 2.0