2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 TP5 and TP5X balls…

hammergolf

On 4/25/2024 at 11:07 PM, phizzy30 said:

It does fly pretty high.  Didn't spin too much for me.  Did your drives balloon? 

My 5 yard cut and draw turned in to like 15-20 yards, not good. 

• Sad 1
Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

On 4/26/2024 at 1:36 PM, SwooshLT said:

Same for TP5 ; not as long as TP5X  but definitely longer than previous iterations of TP5 with a better flight and not as spinny ....found MY perfect ball ❤️ 

The TP5 will probably be my gamer. It was longer for me than the X, with better control around the green. I still need to test it agaisnt the CT.

• Like 1
Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

7 hours ago, GC70 said:

The TP5 will probably be my gamer. It was longer for me than the X, with better control around the green. I still need to test it agaisnt the CT.

CT MIGHT be a tiche longer but it's lower spin by a bunch..... yeah , something is going on with TP5 ....just much , much more distance than previous iterations 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

CT MIGHT be a tiche longer but it's lower spin by a bunch..... yeah , something is going on with TP5 ....just much , much more distance than previous iterations 

JUICED No Way Omg GIF by bubly

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Haha 3

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

It's a funny one - I've played a few rounds now interchanging CT and TP5X. Swapped at the turn each time. A big part of me is drawn to the hype and perceived length of the CT, and I almost WANT my on-course to point me in its direction. But, each time now without fail, my nine with the TP5X has produced better scores. I've played the same course twice and used both balls on both nines... Idk, some sort of consistency or predictability factoring in maybe? It just works and I need to stop arguing the point with myself LOL

• Like 2

First outing with my custom tp5x’s. Played one ball the entire round and the durability was great. Could continue to use it for another round but probably won’t (like teeing up a new ball for a new round). Glad I made the decision to order the 4 dozen deal, this ball just works for me. Love everything about it. 

• Like 2

I have to agree with so many others that my TP5X just flat out performs and gives me confidence as well.  I had some left dash I wanted to use up a couple days ago so I tee’d up with one.  Now, my swing was off for sure, but I just struggled for the first 7 holes until I finally hit it in a penalty area.  I grabbed a new TP5X, and proceeded to save the round.  Haven’t really had a ball that I liked this much ever. 

• Like 3

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Played in 80f temps yesterday (finally) here in SW Ohio, real breezy though.  Got a chance to play at Belterra Golf Club over in Indiana about an hour from me.  Nice track.  My nephew won a t time w/ reduced rates at the Cincy Golf Expo back in January.  Played the TP5 exclusively and it just shredded the course for a 37-36, 73.  Ball just jumps off the face of the woods and holds its line.  Was able to get close on a couple par5s in two and then spin one in for birdie chance (1 make, 1 miss).  Almost drove a downhill par4 playing at 275 with my 3w.  Spun a 54* in there and made the bird.  Played the same ball all 18.  No scuffs or marks.  

Gave my TM free sleeves of TP5x to my nephew.

• Like 4

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

6 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Played in 80f temps yesterday (finally) here in SW Ohio, real breezy though.  Got a chance to play at Belterra Golf Club over in Indiana about an hour from me.  Nice track.  My nephew won a t time w/ reduced rates at the Cincy Golf Expo back in January.  Played the TP5 exclusively and it just shredded the course for a 37-36, 73.  Ball just jumps off the face of the woods and holds its line.  Was able to get close on a couple par5s in two and then spin one in for birdie chance (1 make, 1 miss).  Almost drove a downhill par4 playing at 275 with my 3w.  Spun a 54* in there and made the bird.  Played the same ball all 18.  No scuffs or marks.  

Gave my TM free sleeves of TP5x to my nephew.

What is your driver SS?  I know the adage is work back from the green, I enjoy a soft ball around the green, but I am a high spin driver player and don't want to give up 10-15 yards with a super spinny ball.   Would you say you were seeing similar distance between the tp5x and tp5 in the 2024 models?

I ended up getting 10doz TP5X Pix last week.  After spending a good deal of time using both versions indoors and working on my path, I finally settled on the X being a pretty good fit.  Neutralized my path a lot and my spin with the X has been a lot better than it has been.  Not coming from the inside nearly as much so I am starting to see spin numbers right around where I'd like to for my speed.  Works out perfectly since I also get the benefit of some additional ball speed off the driver with it too.  

Hard to believe, but it will be May in short order and I have yet to actually get outside and play.  On the rare warm day we've had, I have either been either busy or the winds have been blowing 30mph.  But, hopefully this weekend the weather will hold out enough for me to get a legit round in.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

37 minutes ago, runningblind11 said:

What is your driver SS?  I know the adage is work back from the green, I enjoy a soft ball around the green, but I am a high spin driver player and don't want to give up 10-15 yards with a super spinny ball.   Would you say you were seeing similar distance between the tp5x and tp5 in the 2024 models?

Im around 105, maybe a bit higher if I really come unglued.  I do create lots of lag, etc.  The TP5 was for me longer with the driver.  I too am a high spin player and this ball just shrugged it off.  Its the first non 'X' ball Ive ever played (TP5x/Pro V1x).  I was for certain Id game the TP5x but here we are....

Buy a sleeve of each - you will know which works for you.  I know I was (pleasantly) surprised when the 5 beat the 5x.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

1 hour ago, Lord Helmet said:

Im around 105, maybe a bit higher if I really come unglued.  I do create lots of lag, etc.  The TP5 was for me longer with the driver.  I too am a high spin player and this ball just shrugged it off.  Its the first non 'X' ball Ive ever played (TP5x/Pro V1x).  I was for certain Id game the TP5x but here we are....

Buy a sleeve of each - you will know which works for you.  I know I was (pleasantly) surprised when the 5 beat the 5x.

Great info, I will buy some.  I have been testing a bunch with the ProV1/Chrome Tour/TP5x, but will throw the TP5 in the mix to finally make a decision for the year now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

many thanks for posting!, as a high spin player myself I have gravitated to the TP5x but after reading your post, I will probably grab a sleeve of the TP5 to try against the TP5x and Bridgestone Tour B-X

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

With all the Chrome Tour and TP5X talk, TP5 has to be the sleeper ball of the year.  I shrugged it off for a few months bc of last two models.  Thought there were slow and too soft.  This new TP5 is FAST and spins a ton around the greens yet remains lowish off driver. Also, the ball fight is a mid traj, at least it was for me.  Pretty damn good!   It's no wonder TM were sending balls out to folks.  They flat out perform.

• Like 2

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

32 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

With all the Chrome Tour and TP5X talk, TP5 has to be the sleeper ball of the year.  I shrugged it off for a few months bc of last two models.  Thought there were slow and too soft.  This new TP5 is FAST and spins a ton around the greens yet remains lowish off driver. Also, the ball fight is a mid traj, at least it was for me.  Pretty damn good!   It's no wonder TM were sending balls out to folks.  They flat out perform.

Spot on

• Like 1

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

During round EIGHT ..... it finally happened 😪...... #shegone

My first 2024 TP5 🫡

Well done, I wish I could get similar results. I’ve played a few rounds now and each of my tp5x looked bad after 1.5 rounds. For the latest attempt I only went in one bunker, didn’t hit any trees, paths or anything, no thins etc. but it looked terrible by hole 10 of the second round. Sadly I didn’t take a picture of it as then I lost it to a soft spot on the fairway (plugged) so the test ended.

I just do not find these anywhere near as durable as the titleists for my game even though I’m a low spin player. Love the tp5x performance, but when I get 5-6 rounds out of a pro v1 with no noticeable loss in performance and the tp5x only lasts 1 to 1.5 rounds, I’m struggling to justify it for my game. I’ve four balls left before I make my decision for summer and the fact these are only a pound or two cheaper per dozen for less durability (again, in my experience) doesn’t help.

Really hope the last four balls perform better for durability as the ball performance is superb otherwise.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19 S300
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

My first 2024 TP5 🫡

Damn…. You definitely got your money’s worth out of that one.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

7 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

My first 2024 TP5 🫡

Sad Doctor Who GIF

• Haha 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

My first 2024 TP5 🫡

I felt the disturbance in the force .You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

Edited by Lord Helmet
  • Haha 2

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Well I went back to my pro v1 and promptly shot my best round of the year so far. Just very consistent but I think the tp5x spins more on short shots. Pro v1 feels so much better off a milled putter though for me. Few more weeks testing before the proper competitions start.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x

I truly can't EXALT  the virtues of the 2024 TP5 FOR ME..... feel, spin , trajectory control and proper spin with very similar distances to other premium spin balls ....actually haven't put this against any other spin ball (BXS, CTX, Z-Diamond, ) except 23 v1x and it beats that ball primarily on feel.....

The durability I'm finding is another feature that doesn't get discussed as much as it should ..... my first ball lasted nearly 7.5 rounds !!!  

I'm slower than most here but I'm reaching par 5s again,  granted downwind but still!!! 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 5:43 AM, GC70 said:

My 5 yard cut and draw turned in to like 15-20 yards, not good. 

I saw the same thing!  I played rounds with both the TP5 and TP5x.  In both instances, the ball didn't seem to hold its line after its apex. The flight would look dead straight or with a slight fade, then at the end just tail off another 15+ yards.  What I thought was going to be a great shot three quarters of the way there turned out to be mediocre or worse.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the off-centeredness of the layers.  I've seen three different cross-section cuts of these balls(one here on Golfwrx and one on Mygolfspy) and they all had visible off-centered cores/mantles.

I also thought both balls lacked spin on chipping and just didn't have the check of a ProV1/x. 

On the positive side, I preferred the feel of both over my normal gamer Prov1.

Edited by Albatros
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Albatros said:

I saw the same thing!  I played rounds with both the TP5 and TP5x.  In both instances, the ball didn't seem to hold its line after its apex. The flight would look dead straight or with a slight fade, then at the end just tail off another 15+ yards.  What I thought was going to be a great shot three quarters of the way there turned out to be mediocre or worse.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the off-centeredness of the layers.  I've seen three different cross-section cuts of these balls(one here on Golfwrx and one on Mygolfspy) and they all had visible off-centered cores/mantles.

I also thought both balls lacked spin on chipping and just didn't have the check of a ProV1/x. 

This past weekend I was getting the same thing, after it reached its peak, then it would start heading right.

but it was 58* and I thought the wind was making it do the right turn.

Edited by miboy

2 hours ago, Albatros said:

I also have been trying all the new balls, sort of willing anything but prov1/x to win for 1. something new and 2. a chance at more bulk/discount deals.  Knowing however that Titleist X-Rays every single ball before they leave the factory just seems a cut above all the rest.  Yes they cost $55, but you know you will get 12 good balls 98% of the time. 

Well I’ve played two more rounds with the tp5x and it’s a good ball. However today I put it side by side against the pro v1x as my normal ball is pro v1 and I want a firmer compression. The tp5x has been superior to the pro v1 for performance but inferior to the pro v1 for durability. The tp5x has been flying further and stopping quicker than the standard pro v1 for me.

When compared to the v1x, the tp5x is virtually identical in performance for my game. Both fly long and stop quickly. My only concern is the patchy durability - the latest tp5x looked good after two rounds but the first two weren’t. The v1/v1x is durable on each ball from my experience. The tp5x is also only £3 cheaper per dozen and I’m not sure that’s enough to sway me away from the tried and tested titleist when I’ve had issues with previous Taylormade balls that have had inconsistent performance between balls from the same sleeve.

On the whole the tp5x is a superb ball and I’d recommend it to others it’s that good. But with my previous experience with Taylormade quality control I’d just feel more comfortable mentally playing the titleist as I’ve never had any issues with them over 20 years of golfing. So it is a change of ball for me but it’s to another titleist. Could easily sub in the tp5x and see no loss in performance though if needed.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x