2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2024 TP5 and TP5X balls…

hammergolf

On 4/22/2024 at 12:24 PM, Sean124 said:

It’s funny, I’ve been playing the TP5X for a month now and haven’t even bothered hitting them on a launch monitor. They just do exactly what I want on the course. Won my club championship with them this weekend. 

I had been playing the ‘21 ProV1 because I prefer the feel to the ‘23, and hated the ‘21 TP5X. 

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, m d g said:

I just ran out of my AVX stash. I am a 7.5 index, and that only because I hit it pretty straight and never lose balls : )

There is a 4 for 3 deal that I can take advantage of and I'm wondering if the regular or the X would work.

I keep reading how the X is fairly long and I could use the extra yards.

My driver is around 90MPH, but I am in the middle of Speed Stick training and hope to get it to 95-100 this season.

Will I see more distance from the X vs the regular TP5?

Worst case I buy a sleeve and see where it lands on the usual courses I play.

Thanks...

Tough to say.  Ive always been an X player.  TP5 X, Pro v1 X.  But this version of the TP5 is just the bees knees for me.  My swing is a bit faster than you but not sure that matters.  I found the X to be firm and not really responsive with my driver swing.  If it were me, Id buy a sleeve of each and try them before committing.  Im glad I did that, otherwise I would have blindly bought the X buy 3 get 1 this year and missed out on the TP5.

• Like 3

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

8 minutes ago, Lord Helmet said:

Tough to say.  Ive always been an X player.  TP5 X, Pro v1 X.  But this version of the TP5 is just the bees knees for me.  My swing is a bit faster than you but not sure that matters.  I found the X to be firm and not really responsive with my driver swing.  If it were me, Id buy a sleeve of each and try them before committing.  Im glad I did that, otherwise I would have blindly bought the X buy 3 get 1 this year and missed out on the TP5.

Yeah, when you figure out WHY this ball is so very good .....let me know !!!  I'm telling ya, this has some secret tour sauce replicating Maxfli HT balata or Rextar ball ( pro model I believe) from the 90s 

9 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Yeah, when you figure out WHY this ball is so very good .....let me know !!!  I'm telling ya, this has some secret tour sauce replicating Maxfli HT balata or Rextar ball ( pro model I believe) from the 90s 

These balls are on a 2yr cycle right?  I might be buying up all I can the next 24mon to stockpile.  Im playing this weekend - finally supposed to be 80F.  Cant wait to see how the ball performs in warmer temps.

• Like 1

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

4 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

I think I will do a sleeve test. Easy enough to do and sometimes I have enough time to hit 2 balls on a course that I know.

17 minutes ago, m d g said:

I think I will do a sleeve test. Easy enough to do and sometimes I have enough time to hit 2 balls on a course that I know.

smart.  I did that with the 2 as well.  Quickly realized the tp5 was for me.  G luck!

• Like 1

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

25 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Finally got a chance to play the latest TP5. Very impressed with spin, durability and feel. Flew a little high off the driver. Not so keen on feel off the putter. 

I went with the tp5x as it’s a bit firmer, but not had chance to play it other than in wet UK weather. We are on summer rules from tomorrow so hoping to give it a better go this weekend.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I've been testing the X and it is difintely not for me. Flies to high and spins way to much with the driver. Spin around the green was very inconsistent.

Feels better than the previous version. Had no problems with durability. 

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

1 hour ago, GC70 said:

I've been testing the X and it is difintely not for me. Flies to high and spins way to much with the driver. Spin around the green was very inconsistent.

It does fly pretty high.  Didn't spin too much for me.  Did your drives balloon? 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

15 hours ago, GC70 said:

13 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

It does fly pretty high.  Didn't spin too much for me.  Did your drives balloon? 

Was gifted a two ball pack from a friend; they were TP5X Pix balls.  He *hates* using anything with logos, different colors, etc.

I'm not in the prime zip code for this ball anymore, but played them anyway.  Noticed the firmness, but what stuck out was the crazy change in trajectory.  I started hitting the ball noticeably higher with these, compared with the KSig v3 that I've been using, or my QStars that were my winter ball.  

Also didn't think these were especially good into the wind, but they seemed decent in cross winds.  Could also be user error.

And, picked up distance off the tee.  I didn't get a read on an average, but I was a bit longer than I expected on several tee shots, and hit one that will likely rank as a personal best for the year, getting to 20-25 yds short on a short par 4.  For this old guy, it was a whiskey tango foxtrot moment.

Just thought I'd chime in, seeing y'all's comments...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

19 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Was gifted a two ball pack from a friend; they were TP5X Pix balls.  He *hates* using anything with logos, different colors, etc.

I'm not in the prime zip code for this ball anymore, but played them anyway.  Noticed the firmness, but what stuck out was the crazy change in trajectory.  I started hitting the ball noticeably higher with these, compared with the KSig v3 that I've been using, or my QStars that were my winter ball.  

Also didn't think these were especially good into the wind, but they seemed decent in cross winds.  Could also be user error.

And, picked up distance off the tee.  I didn't get a read on an average, but I was a bit longer than I expected on several tee shots, and hit one that will likely rank as a personal best for the year, getting to 20-25 yds short on a short par 4.  For this old guy, it was a whiskey tango foxtrot moment.

2024 TP5x has some pop to it.  My drives are carrying about 5-8 yards more and irons are about half a club longer.  It launches higher across the board than the previous gens though which is fine because it doesn't spin too much.   

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

2024 TP5x has some pop to it.  My drives are carrying about 5-8 yards more and irons are about half a club longer.  It launches higher across the board than the previous gens though which is fine because it doesn't spin too much.   

Something I neglected to mention in my earlier post...   I'm less impressed with the short game spin with the TP5X.  Felt it was closer to my QStar (non Tour) balls than a urethane covered premium.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the absurdity of the KSig 3pc spin around the greens.  <shrug>

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

To the bold, folks here have been trying hard to help dispel this myth.  Everyone can gain ball speed from a higher compression ball, no matter the swing speed. You absolutely are the in the zipcode, everyone is.  This is exacerbated by the fact that you are playing one of, if not the, shortest urethane balls available in the K sig.  It's cheap, but it is terrible for distance comparatively.  

• Like 3

Just now, runningblind11 said:

To the bold, folks here have been trying hard to help dispel this myth.  Everyone can gain ball speed from a higher compression ball, no matter the swing speed. You absolutely are the in the zipcode, everyone is.  This is exacerbated by the fact that you are playing one of, if not the, shortest urethane balls available in the K sig.  It's cheap, but it is terrible for distance comparatively.  

For clarity's sake, I wasn't referring to compression.  Just that I no longer *need* the level of spin reduction off the tee (or even on irons) that I once may have needed.

I suppose I could have added that earlier.  😉

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

For clarity's sake, I wasn't referring to compression.  Just that I no longer *need* the level of spin reduction off the tee (or even on irons) that I once may have needed.

I suppose I could have added that earlier.  😉

I gotcha, that makes sense.

• Like 1

Tested today with my freebies from golf galaxy. 

Tp5 spins too much for me. Found it on the shorter side. Feels nice. 
Tp5x is better, but nothing great. Flys a bit higher, Feels firm but still nice. Putts well. 

Durability was good. Improved from last generation. 

not the gamer for me. 
Long live the Chrome Soft X LS ..tuvwxyz 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GDB67 said:

Tp5x is better, but nothing great. Flys a bit higher, Feels firm but still nice. Putts well. 

not the gamer for me. 

Go test the CT and CTX if you haven't already.  I was a huge fan of the 1st gen CSX LS but now the CTX has replaced it as my gamer.  Crazy high ball speeds, firm, plenty of stopping power without it ballooning with irons and excellent short game spin.  Launches lower than TP5x.  Cally hit a home run with the CT line this year.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Go test the CT and CTX if you haven't already.  I was a huge fan of the 1st gen CSX LS but now the CTX has replaced it as my gamer.  Crazy high ball speeds, firm, plenty of stopping power without it ballooning with irons and excellent short game spin.  Launches lower than TP5x.  Cally hit a home run with the CT line this year.     

Isn’t the CTX and CSX LS exact opposite characteristics? If you liked the LS should the CT be the preferred ball of choice between the two of the newer offerings? 

• Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

31 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Isn’t the CTX and CSX LS exact opposite characteristics? If you liked the LS should the CT be the preferred ball of choice between the two of the newer offerings? 

Reason why I said test both is because the CT and CTX were both very similar launch/spin wise for woods.  CTX spins more with irons however.  I played the 1st gen CSX LS which did well across the board with enough spin.  I thought it would be a seamless transition to the CT as a result, however, the CTX fits me better because the CT didn't quite spin enough with irons for me. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GDB67 said:

not the gamer for me. 

Wow, those could be my exact exact comments from when I tried a sleeve each of the previous generation. 

50 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Reason why I said test both is because the CT and CTX were both very similar launch/spin wise for woods.  CTX spins more with irons however.  I played the 1st gen CSX LS which did well across the board with enough spin.  I thought it would be a seamless transition to the CT as a result, however, the CTX fits me better because the CT didn't quite spin enough with irons for me. 

Agree here 100%. CSX LS ball has been lost with the new CT and CTX balls. CT is too soft spins way less than the CSX LS and for me the CTX spins too much with irons, especially short irons. I am leaning towards the TP5X although dont love it around the greens but can live with it. I HOPE Titleist goes back to 1X call being the lesser spinning ball comapred to the V1 this next release, but doubt it.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

2 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Another round with a TP5. Now played 34 holes and ball still looks in great condition. Amazing stopping power on full shots. 

I just finished another round with the TP5 as well. Love this ball. Just no real drama from tee to green. Really a great ball IMO. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

My plan was to get a sleeve of the 5 and 5X and hit them on the course when it's slow.

My golf shop only had the 5s so I got them and proceeded to go to a local course to chip/putt.

They are VERY soft off the putter and wedges around the green, which I like.

I don't have a high clubhead speed +/- 90 with the driver on a good day so I like a ball that feels like it stays on the face of my irons.

Btw have been playing the AVX the last couple of years, and the TP5 feels like it spins a lot more on short chips. Enough that I will have to take it into account. Not a bad thing, just different.

Next up is getting them on the course...

So finally got to give the tp5x a go today on a rapidly drying course. Hit some beautiful iron shots and stopped the ball quickly numerous times. Very good ball in the wind for me too.

Not seeing the durability though. I’ve had pro v1s last me multiple rounds but the tp5x has a couple of little marks without me having any bunker shots or hitting any paths/walls/trees. If the ball can last a couple of rounds I’d certainly change as the performance is much better than the pro v1 for me. Never stopped the ball so quick in my life.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Had the TP5X and CT with me in Arizona. The TP5X really goes, like I caught one massive drive and had 2 long hitters beat by 20 yards on 1 hole, irons and wedges really performs solid too for me. 

Some durability issues but I don't think much survives the desert in Arizona when hitting into and out of the rocks a few times. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana