2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Dealing with Az Heat

gambit

Heading to Scottsdale week of 9/11. Playing TPC Scottsdale Champions, both Troon North courses, Quintero, and Grayhawk Raptor. It looks like it's going to be 110°+ that week. Any tips for dealing with the heat on the course? I'm thinking about a cooking towel, a bucket hat or something breathable with a 360° brim for the neck and ears (suggestions welcome) and maybe some solar sleeves? Not sure if that would actually make me hotter in that type of heat?

Large hydro-flask type insulated water bottle filled up before the start of the round. The courses you have listed should have ample drinking water refilling opportunities every few holes, but you will go through a lot of it, and you need to be prepared in case for some reason it isn't available or you end up playing a different course that has nothing out there. One 16oz plastic water bottle isn't going to cut it.

I don't wear anything special - typical non-cotton performance polo and shorts, normal front brimmed hat, sunscreen on most exposed skin, etc. - but I live here and am used to it.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I dont mind up to 110, but over 110 can get uncomfortable and dangerous.  Same as bonneville I dont use any specialty clothing.  Non cotton shorts and shirt.  Baseball cap and sunscreen all exposed skin (applied again on hole 10).  Im good at keeping hydrated normally so Im always ahead of the dehydration on hot days.  Trying to catch up by binging tons of water on the course is not great, but drink small amounts constantly (I use a Stanly 40 oz).  Many courses will have ice coolers on the carts with some bottled water.  If this is available as it melts dip a towel in the water and put it on your head and neck to cool down.  Repeat as necessary if you feel yourself heating up too much.  I think we in the desert kind of get used to when we are suffering and need a gatorade or a towel vs feeling fine.  For an out of towner err on the side of getting electrolytes (carry a couple of gatorades) and cooling off with an ice towel vs not.  Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, find the AC and call it a day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vallygolf said:

I dont mind up to 110, but over 110 can get uncomfortable and dangerous.  Same as bonneville I dont use any specialty clothing.  Non cotton shorts and shirt.  Baseball cap and sunscreen all exposed skin (applied again on hole 10).  Im good at keeping hydrated normally so Im always ahead of the dehydration on hot days.  Trying to catch up by binging tons of water on the course is not great, but drink small amounts constantly (I use a Stanly 40 oz).  Many courses will have ice coolers on the carts with some bottled water.  If this is available as it melts dip a towel in the water and put it on your head and neck to cool down.  Repeat as necessary if you feel yourself heating up too much.  I think we in the desert kind of get used to when we are suffering and need a gatorade or a towel vs feeling fine.  For an out of towner err on the side of getting electrolytes (carry a couple of gatorades) and cooling off with an ice towel vs not.  Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, find the AC and call it a day.

Skip the Gatorade and add Liquid IV hydration multiplier to the water bottles…

You're welcome.  Seriously if it’s 110°+ take two or three packets of the liquid iv.  You’ll feel much better during AND after playing.

And sun sleeves help as well.  I use the Sparms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

You cannot drink enough water, but as Shilgy stated, make sure you use Liquid IV with them as water alone will only go so far (and in some cases can even be detrimental). I recently switched to using an Aussie style hat and even use a neck gaiter that I can soak as well. I assume you're going to be riding so it won't be nearly as bad as someone who tries to walk in that weather but don't mistake that as "I don't need to drink as much water" because this AZ sun will kill you figuratively and literally. If you notice at ANY point in time you stop sweating, stop golfing immediately and seek medical attention. If you plan on having any drinks post round, you will notice that you may become buzzed or even drunk a bit quicker because of the dehydration. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Liquid IV is terrible. Full of nothing but sweeteners. Better off with something like NUUN, Skratch, NBS, etc. Second all the other suggestions though. I'm normal clothing, fill a 40 oz hydro flask with water and NBS, sunscreen, etc. If it's over 115 I'll do the towel in the ice bucket thing once in a while. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hackeraz said:

Liquid IV is terrible. Full of nothing but sweeteners. Better off with something like NUUN, Skratch, NBS, etc. Second all the other suggestions though. I'm normal clothing, fill a 40 oz hydro flask with water and NBS, sunscreen, etc. If it's over 115 I'll do the towel in the ice bucket thing once in a while. 

There is a sugar free Liquid IV…..so no.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Not to mention that sugar helps our body absorb electrolytes at a higher rate so while it's not "necessary" it serves a positive purpose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I went about a month ago when it was 115+. 730 tee time helped a little but still got hot soon after we teed off. I brought 6 gatorades bottles with me and went through all of them by hole 18. That’s about a gallon of fluid there. They were chilled in a lunchbox I brought with me just for that. Water alone isn’t enough as you’ll need to replenish electrolytes. Never tried liquid IV but I’m sure it works the same. 

I hate sunscreen as I feel it hinders my ability to cool off. I wear a wide-brimmed hat, a white solar shawl by Sparms, bright golf polo, and either white golf pants (judge me all you want, but I feel they keep me cooler than shorts) or light grey golf shorts. I’ll sunscreen my legs if I’m wearing shorts. 

Park your cart in shade as much as you can as it’ll help the seats not burn you when you get in. If the cart has a cooler attached, put a small towel in it and use it periodically on your head and neck to cool off as needed. I’ll also pull out one ice cube and rub it on my neck until it’s melted. 

As long as you stay hydrated, your sweat can keep you cool enough, but if you get dehydrated, things can turn south fast. 

Just returned from 6 rounds in 5 days at We-Ko-Pa. Several rounds over 110°.  PLENTY of water, Liquid IV’s (2 or 3 a round), sunscreen, bucket hat. 

It was surprisingly tolerable but I am from a fairly warm climate. 

have fun! 

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I am thinking of getting one of those portable, fabric cart seat covers so my rear end doesn't roast anymore on the vinyl cart seats. Even if it's sort of an "80 year old woman from Sun City" type of golf accessory.

Could achieve the same result with a regular towel

On 8/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, 596 said:

Even in Arizona 110 is microwave hot! 🥵

Definitely bucket hat that you can soak with water.

A really good pair of cooling sleeves.  Expensive, but the best I've found is Desoto.  Wore them for years in the heat of Arizona. If you soak them they work even better.

A cooling shirt also. 

Storyi also makes nice sun sleeves. Started using them in the Charleston summers…

On 8/31/2023 at 4:00 PM, Shilgy said:

Fair enough with the "sugar free" claim but I'll urge you to dive a bit into the ingredients and composition. Liquid IV is an extremely inferior product that's masked with sweeteners and composed of very little of anything of value. I know this industry fairly well. 

13 minutes ago, hackeraz said:

Fair enough with the "sugar free" claim but I'll urge you to dive a bit into the ingredients and composition. Liquid IV is an extremely inferior product that's masked with sweeteners and composed of very little of anything of value. I know this industry fairly well. 

What would be an option?  There are so many options.  I have tried a few and still have not found something I like at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

What would be an option?  There are so many options.  I have tried a few and still have not found something I like at a reasonable price.

Skratch Labs, NUUN, LMNT, Elete, NBS Nutrition are all solid offerings. I'm a big NBS fan as I appreciate the more muted flavoring and decent science behind the products. I work in the industry (not affiliated with any specific company though) and am a fairly hardcore endurance athlete. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hackeraz said:

And that’s great.  I just know how ell it’s helped me.