2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

P-wedge matching irons or wedges

Robert L.

I've searched for this topic in the Equipment section, to no avail, so I'll post it as an inquiry. Which is better, a pitching wedge as part of a set of irons, or as part of a set of wedges? the reason I'm asking is that I recently bought a 52° and 56° Vokey SM6 wedges, and I'm thinking of adding a 48° wedge to go along with my set, and removing the Equalizer wedge from my Hogan irons. Also my Hogan Equalizer has a nice spot of rust right on the sweet spot! Yeah, it's definitely OCD, but I'm always looking to improve my playing set within my budget, so for me it's eBay.

• Like 1

It deepens on what you like. I do NOT want a hot face player improvement P wedge , I dont like the feel of them I can't take anything off it well. I love my T22 45/05, fits my set well. 

Edited by Maine Golfer
typo, of
  • Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

I think the answer depends on two variables specific to you.

1. Can you maintain gapping at that of the set?  In my experience, specialty wedges are a bit shorter than set wedges; I actually replaced the 48* gap wedge in my T200’s with a Vokey 50* because of a too big yardage gap between the GW and my 54* for full swings.  My concern with taking the PW out would be the opposite; creating a gap between the 9 and that new wedge.  Fwiw, I had a sort of similar conversation with a Titleist fitter just this past Saturday; I wondered if I might benefit from replacing my T200 PW with a T100 or T150; he didn’t like the idea because of gapping on full shots, which brings me to…

2. What do you mostly use the PW for?  If it’s strictly a full swing club, like it is for me, then it might be best to say with the set PW?  But if you already use it a lot around the green, then a specialty wedge with particular bounce and grind that you like becomes a more attractive option.

• Like 2

I think the "wedge-type" Pw came about because a certain type of (Tour-level) player was looking for the smallest, most precision-oriented club they could find to ensure that they could control distance as accurately as possible.  

Rory had blades which would normally be great for optimizing around distance control and workability but I think he was just that good a ball-striker (and that powerful a player) that he wanted to up the ante and maximize spin on top of that. 

OTOH, players like Spieth went with the 46o Vokey to provide themselves with a more precision-oriented Pw compared with their larger CB irons (Spieth being a T100 player). 

The problem with a lot of Player's CBs is that when you get down to the 9i-Pw you really don't want the cavity-type design. Instead, you want a blade (which is basically what a Vokey is). No matter how good someone is, a blade-type design is always going to provide better distance control and feedback.

My take: 

I would look at a Vokey Pw only if I were really long and needed a Pw built to maximize spin (a la Rory) or if I had a set of CBs that gave me a Pw I thought was too chunky and imprecise when it came to distance control (a la Spieth). 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

I went for a fitting at Titleist TPI last year and was fit into a Vokey 46° wedge. This is something that I would have never considered. I questioned  the fitter as to why and he said to maintain spin out of the rough. I was worried that it would not be forgiving enough and I would not hit it as far as a set PW.  Neither has been the case. I have also found it easier to take yardage off for in between shots. Discovering this was the highlight of my fitting. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

So I think an argument can be made for both sides. I was always a pitching wedge, matches your irons guy, but was lucky enough to win a fitting trip to the kingdom and got fit into the MG3 pitching wedge, and can say I absolutely loved it. I do feel it was much better to look at, the turf interaction was significantly better, and it was more precise. However, I eventually moved away from it for probably a silly reason, but I could not get over the fact that my pitching wedge did not match my irons. I also feel that over the course of a year the amount of strokes that either cost or saved me between the two was probably pretty insignificant.

• Like 1

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Use the set wedge if you are just going to play a full shot.

Use the Vokey if you are going to use it for other things.

Also commit to one, I have both options and I move back and forth...not recommended.

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

I was in a Vokey SM7 @ 46-47* for a couple of years and I liked it. I got a set of ZX7 mk ii with z-forged in the short irons and I had so much confidence in those clubs, I wanted to extend that to the PW. 

I think it’s a little easier to hit the number with the z-forged PW. With the vokey i sometimes get a super high spinner when trying to hit the full number.

I played a Vokey PW for a long time just because I hate the look of most set wedges. That changed with the ‘21 T100. I like it so much I’m even playing the gap wedge. 

I don’t notice any real difference in spin or carry distance in the real world. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

I went to a PW matching my wedges with my current set after playing the set PW for a long time and I won't go back. I feel like I have better control on partial shots and trajectory. 

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I use PW that matches my set it is used only for full shots. I also use a GW that matches since I use it full swing alot, and I only really use it as a bump and run type wedge on shorter shots. I am not trying to shape my shots with it. Very happy with straight where I am aiming...Any shot that needs to be trickier than that I use my 54 Vokey 

To really take advantage of a Vokey PW, you need to be able to very consistently find the sweet spot all the time.
I’m I bit too inconsistent for that. 

I use a 44* CBX Zipcore. 
I like hitting 100 yard partial Pitching wedges. (My only birdie today was after a soft 100 yard pitching wedge). 
I also like it for chips that run out (set PWs tend to jump off the face too fast). 
It’s also very forgiving on full shots.
Distance control is gooood. 

• Like 2

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

3, 4, 5 King Utility ONE Elevate 95 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

Big question: How do you use your P-wedge.

If you use it primarily as a 10i - lots of full shots - keep PW that matches your iron set.

If you use it mainly for partial shots, consider having it match your specialty wedges. (Hint: You can probably learn to hit the PW for partials with some practice. But in your case, it appears you may have used up the Equalizer grooves.)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I am doing neither...I bought a 45* Edison 1.0 wedge head on clearance and paired it with a Nippon 130X (normal shafts are all Nippon 1150gh stiff) and it has closed the gapping between my Mizuno 9 iron and my Vokey 50*.  I also have 55 (56 bent 1*) and 60* Vokey SM9s, but bought the Edison on a whim and so far I love it.

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15° 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron (2019) with TI X100 shaft (+5/8")
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Currently Testing: Toura CB (4-PW) - TT X100 shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on all clubs
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour or Tour X

I like to switch to a specialty wedge where I start hitting partial shots. Historically it was always SW (i.e. my gap wedge would be my 120 yard full swing only club, then SW was 100 & in). The last 2-3 years I've really worked on hitting partial shots with my gap wedge so I've switched that to a specialty wedge. I started finding that I needed to swing my SW really hard to get 100 yards out of it and that's a recipe for disaster. Now my 100 yard club of choice is a gap wedge with a 3/4 swing and it's massively more consistent for me. I also have a little chip/pitch shot that goes 30-40-50 with my LW-SW-GW, so I use it for 50-60 yard low flighted approaches too.     

That would be my recommendation. Stick with the set wedge if you really just want it for full shots and to hit a specific yardage that gaps with your irons. 

I experimented with the GW. Tried Vokeys vs the GW of the iron set. Stuck with the latter due to its use: full shots and BnRs. Having a similar footprint as the rest of my full swing clubs turned out to be important for me.

I am uncomfortable using partial, pitch, and chip shots with it though. That's where the Vokeys shine for me.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i230 6-UW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 115

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

Given the set you have, the Vokey might be more forgiving...

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Currently making the same decision although its set GW vs specialty wedge.  New irons have a 44* PW and there's an available 48* GW.  Deciding whether to get the set GW (which is really an old school PW by loft) vs. a RTX6 48*.  Will got 54/60 to fill the bottom end.  

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

With my current setup, I play both. My Bridgestone J15df PW is 46* and with my 3/4 wedge swing it goes 130 yards, but I can hit it 145 yards with my full iron swing. Like mentioned before, it is too "hot" for chipping around the green for how I chip. I carry a Mizuno T22 48* which goes 120 yards with my 3/4 wedge swing and I won't hit it any further than that. It's great around the greens and what I am use to from my previous irons which I may go back to (KZG ZO). I round out my wedges with a 52 and 56. 

On 9/17/2023 at 1:09 PM, Robert L. said:

I've searched for this topic in the Equipment section, to no avail, so I'll post it as an inquiry. Which is better, a pitching wedge as part of a set of irons, or as part of a set of wedges? the reason I'm asking is that I recently bought a 52° and 56° Vokey SM6 wedges, and I'm thinking of adding a 48° wedge to go along with my set, and removing the Equalizer wedge from my Hogan irons. Also my Hogan Equalizer has a nice spot of rust right on the sweet spot! Yeah, it's definitely OCD, but I'm always looking to improve my playing set within my budget, so for me it's eBay.

You'll be fine with a 48 degree specialty wedge, that's a gap wedge by modern standards. More versatility around the green.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 10.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 14* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

TM Spider X Slant