A bit disappointed in Fujikura Axoim's

ATatman10

I am curious of the opinion from others who have tried graphite shafts or the new Axiom shafts. I have been gaming MKII ZX7's in a Modus 120S and was really excited to try Axoim's and graphite shafts in general as this was the first time for a graphite iron shaft for me. I also play a Ventus Blue in Driver/3W and a Ventus Red in 5W and very happy with that setup, hoping the Velocore would prove the same consistency in irons. For reference, my driver club head speed is about 100 and my 7 iron carry number is 165. 

I picked up a set of mint P760 heads and a set of BB&F Ferrules and had a beautiful new iron set created. Unfortunately, after a few range sessions and a round yesterday - I am a bit disappointed. Most all my iron shots were short, higher, and had much more spin than I am used to seeing -  I nearly rolled a 9 iron back with spin. 

My question: could the 105S be too light for me - causing less club head speed, less distance and also more spin? 

Edited by ATatman10

Are the lofts on the 760 the same as the srixons? how much shorter?

Chris

• Like 1

Tour Issue Cally Max LS With Ventus TR 7x Black
PXG 0341 gen 5 15 Ventus black 8x

PXG Gen5 DI X with Ventus blue 9tx 
Titlesist T100s with Fujikura Axiom 105x
Tour issue Vokey Raw SM9 51-55-61 Axiom 125X
Tour issue Odyssesy 2ball Or Circle T golo 3

Apart from the unique profile as @animalgolfs mentioned, that's also a fair weight drop, which may be throwing off your swing.

Sometimes a heavier swing weight can compensate for a lighter shaft, so you could experiment by adding a gram or two of lead tape at a time to say your 7 iron and then hitting it. Repeat until you get better results or it starts feeling too heavy. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ATatman10 said:

I am curious of the opinion from others who have tried graphite shafts or the new Axioms shafts. I have been gaming MKII ZX7's in a Modus 120S and was really excited to try Axoim's and graphite shafts in general as this was the first time for a graphite iron shaft for me. I also play a Ventus Blue in Driver/3W and a Ventus Red in 5W and very happy with that setup, hoping the Velocore would prove the same consistency in irons. For reference, my driver club head speed is about 100 and my 7 iron carry number is 165. 

I picked up a set of mint P760 heads and a set of BB&F Ferrules and had a beautiful new iron set created. Unfortunately, after a few range sessions and a round yesterday - I am a bit disappointed. Most all my iron shots were short, higher, and had much more spin than I am used to seeing -  I nearly rolled a 9 iron back with spin. 

My question: could the 105S be too light for me - causing less club head speed, less distance and also more spin? 

We need more inf... but the P760s loft package is slightly weaker than Zx7.  The weight difference is pretty substantial as well.   I wouldn't count out the shafts yet tho...but I would look hard at Axiom 120

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Also, give it some time.  Give yourself a few range sessions and some course play before giving up on a set.  Totally different feels 

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

21 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

We need more inf... but the P760s loft package is slightly weaker than Zx7.  The weight difference is pretty substantial as well.   I wouldn't count out the shafts yet tho...but I would look hard at Axiom 120

1° at 7 iron. Definitely “slightly” weaker. Based on his description of “most all were short” I agree he should not count them out as yet.

OP….how much shorter?  A few yards I would call just getting used to lighter weight.  If substantially shorter light may not be for you.

Edited by Shilgy

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

shorter, higher, with more spin sounds like maybe the shaft impacted your timing and your release is happening a bit earlier than usual?

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

58 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

1° at 7 iron. Definitely “slightly” weaker. Based on his description of “most all were short” I agree he should not count them out as yet.

OP….how much shorter?  A few yards I would call just getting used to lighter weight.  If substantially shorter light may not be for you.

I was about a club short, I will definitely give them another round a practice session and time on a monitor. 

1 hour ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Also, give it some time.  Give yourself a few range sessions and some course play before giving up on a set.  Totally different feels 

That’s the plan - when you find the center (even slightly on the toe) with this setup - the feel and turf interaction is amazing. Even better than ZX7s - just need the dispersion and distance to tighten up 

Edited by ATatman10
  • Like 1

As iron head to iron head, P760 should launch higher and spin more based on what I know.  So you hit the lighter graphite shaft higher and spin more with a a iron head that is supposed to spin more, that's just normal.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

I find the 105 S  Mid iron shafts spin quite a bit more than the short iron ones.  You may be losing distance with excessive spin.

• Like 2

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

Am I alone to not see a problem in OPs situation? I prefer spin to length in iron shots. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9 Oban Airburst Cobalt 65 at 44"

Titleist TSi3 15 Oban Devotion 85 at 42"

TaylorMade P790 Udi 2i Hzrdus Black 6.5 Handcrafted

Epon AF Tour MB 3-PW Project X 6.5 / Yonex TC-Forged 3-PW Recoil Proto f5 SS

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 52 and 56 milled wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach

8 hours ago, ATatman10 said:

I am curious of the opinion from others who have tried graphite shafts or the new Axiom shafts. I have been gaming MKII ZX7's in a Modus 120S and was really excited to try Axoim's and graphite shafts in general as this was the first time for a graphite iron shaft for me. I also play a Ventus Blue in Driver/3W and a Ventus Red in 5W and very happy with that setup, hoping the Velocore would prove the same consistency in irons. For reference, my driver club head speed is about 100 and my 7 iron carry number is 165. 

I admit the first thing I thought when reading the above is that going from Modus 120 stiff to Axion 105 stiff is going up a flex.  Modus 120 stiff has a profile almost identical to DGR300 or DGR400.  I'm guessing Axiom 105 is going to be closer on par to DGS.

Also, in terms of the weight...  Modus 120 stiff is actually only 114g raw, compared to the Axiom 105; not as large a difference as it seems.  Perhaps you need to only add a little lead tape to the clubheads, with them being a bit lighter...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Two things, ZX7 are a much lower spinning head than the P760 in addition to the 1* loft difference. In addition, the 105 will add launch, spin, and peak height with tighter dispersion vs Modus 120. That’s what they were designed to do. I think when the 125 S is released it would be a better option for. OR, try them in your ZX7 heads and it may be a better fit for you.

Do we know when 125S is out? 

9 hours ago, ATatman10 said:

Interested in more first hand feedback on these as well.  They are top of my list for future single length builds as they market the short/mid/long profiles, similar to what Paderson did with Edel.

24 minutes ago, dlovage said:

Do we know when 125S is out? 

Maybe @Fujikura Golf can answer that.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I admit the first thing I thought when reading the above is that going from Modus 120 stiff to Axion 105 stiff is going up a flex.  Modus 120 stiff has a profile almost identical to DGR300 or DGR400.  I'm guessing Axiom 105 is going to be closer on par to DGS.

Also, in terms of the weight...  Modus 120 stiff is actually only 114g raw, compared to the Axiom 105; not as large a difference as it seems.  Perhaps you need to only add a little lead tape to the clubheads, with them being a bit lighter...

I had the same thought.  Going stiffer in flex makes me release early - trying to muscle the club or something I guess.  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

If you play a lot of golf, you know the SW you prefer. If that's important to you, just know that keeping that same swing weight when you make club, grip and shaft changes can be problematic. Head weight, grip size/weight, club length and of course, shaft weight all combine to give you a certain feel and performance. When I switched to Axioms (105S), I had to insert 4 gram tip weights to get my SW right. I was right on the edge with my preferred grips too (I was very close to being forced into lighter midsize grips to make it work). Just a reminder... sometimes in our rush to enjoy our new stuff, we overlook such basics.

Edited by SeaIsland

4 hours ago, SeaIsland said:

If you play a lot of golf, you know the SW you prefer. If that's important to you, just know that keeping that same swing weight when you make club, grip and shaft changes can be problematic. Head weight, grip size/weight, club length and of course, shaft weight all combine to give you a certain feel and performance. When I switched to Axioms (105S), I had to insert 4 gram tip weights to get my SW right. I was right on the edge with my preferred grips too (I was very close to being forced into lighter midsize grips to make it work). Just a reminder... sometimes in our rush to enjoy our new stuff, we overlook such basics.

The overall weight of the club plays a role as well.  It's just very difficult to drop that much in shaft weight and thus total club weight even if your swingweight is the same.  That's why we have MOI matching (which isn't the be all end all, but I find it far superior to swingweight).  Usually when I've gone down 10 or more grams in shaft weight with the irons the launches higher and spins more even if I match the MOI.  That's why I prefer a lighter shaft in my long irons.

RH

I can’t speak for everyone, but switching from MMT to Axiom increased my launch angle, peak height, and spin rate which is what I wanted. They also tightened up my dispersion. 

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I can’t speak for everyone, but switching from MMT to Axiom increased my launch angle, peak height, and spin rate which is what I wanted. They also tightened up my dispersion. 

I switched from KBS $-Taper Lite S to Axiom 105 S and have had the same experience. I freakin love these shafts. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

7 minutes ago, aenemated said:

I switched from KBS $-Taper Lite S to Axiom 105 S and have had the same experience. I freakin love these shafts. 

Agree, the best shafts I’ve ever used.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:24 AM, ATatman10 said:

Didn't read how much time you spent with the shafts, but it sounds like not nearly enough.  Also, graphite isn't for everyone. 

When I switched to lighter weight MMT 85S composite it took me three+ months to get accustom to them, and then knew to revert to MMT 105S, happy for it too.  Axoim are low to mid-spin like my MMT shafts, but excessive spin typically isn't the result of the shaft, but the user.  

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX