2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway 2024/Will there be a new Callaway driver in 2024

Tugu

1 hour ago, gsrjc said:

Seems like a lot of us are getting the 10.5 degree model. Any thoughts?

I found the 10.5 to be too high launching and a tad bit more spinny than I wanted.    It seems like quite a few of y'all are using the VF, so maybe that's the issue.   Ventus black 6x or 7x has been my choice for a while now.  I tried both 6x and 7x in the VF and it was just too soft feeling for me. I guess what some call "boardy" or "rebar" feeling in the ventus black, I would term "responsive" but to each their own and the VF has a lot of fans for sure.   

The 9 degree AIS TD with the Ventus black does spin a little lower than the Paradym TD, but I found it to be less than 200.  My spin with the 9 is low 2000's and I like the launch angle a whole lot better.   

1 hour ago, txbadger said:

I found the 10.5 to be too high launching and a tad bit more spinny than I wanted.    It seems like quite a few of y'all are using the VF, so maybe that's the issue.   Ventus black 6x or 7x has been my choice for a while now.  I tried both 6x and 7x in the VF and it was just too soft feeling for me. I guess what some call "boardy" or "rebar" feeling in the ventus black, I would term "responsive" but to each their own and the VF has a lot of fans for sure.   

The 9 degree AIS TD with the Ventus black does spin a little lower than the Paradym TD, but I found it to be less than 200.  My spin with the 9 is low 2000's and I like the launch angle a whole lot better.   

Interesting. I have the 10.5 TD with a Ventus TR red but I also have a VF that I haven’t tried in it. Maybe I’ll try tomorrow on the sim and see what happens since we got snow and the course is closed. 

1 minute ago, gsrjc said:

Interesting. I have the 10.5 TD with a Ventus TR red but I also have a VF that I haven’t tried in it. Maybe I’ll try tomorrow on the sim and see what happens since we got snow and the course is closed. 

I always like experimenting with shaft/head combos and for some reason I wanted to really like the VF (usually don't get too attached to brands and such.. I just want to find the best performer).   I did try the TR red in 6x but for my swing, the TR red just gives too much spin/launch is too high but given the profile that is to be expected.    Unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) the comparisons for the VF always seem to be against the Ventus black.   I just didn't see them nearly as the same beast...I've been told I should have tried a TX in the VF for a more like to like comparison.   I didn't so I can't comment on that.   

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your test as I thought the VF 6x felt more similar to the TR Red 6x than Black 6x (TR red was higher launch tho, no doubt).   

• Like 1

Did anyone order their max head at a shorter length? Last year I had the triple diamond and with the shorter length I had a 14 and an 8 gram weight. With the weight in the front of the max this year I’m wondering if they will add the extra weight to that front port or if they will put a heavier weight in the weight track.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade QI10 3 Hybrid Tour AD DI 85S 
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Cobalt

Taylormade TP5X 2024

34 minutes ago, n_rones said:

Did anyone order their max head at a shorter length? Last year I had the triple diamond and with the shorter length I had a 14 and an 8 gram weight. With the weight in the front of the max this year I’m wondering if they will add the extra weight to that front port or if they will put a heavier weight in the weight track.

Callaway usually doesn't change the head weights.  They will add shaft tip weight to complete the swing weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, n_rones said:

I shortened mine 3/4" and asked for D5 swing weight.  I haven't measured the weights yet but I can later.  What is the stock weight on the max head?

47 minutes ago, tbone18 said:

Callaway usually doesn't change the head weights.  They will add shaft tip weight to complete the swing weight.

Interesting I’ve ordered shorter drivers from them twice and got heavier weights in the head both times. The original epic head I got at 44.5 and it had two sliding weights and as I stated last year my triple diamond they increased that lighter weight from 2 to 8

• Thanks 1

Taylormade TP5X 2024

4 minutes ago, n_rones said:

Interesting I’ve ordered shorter drivers from them twice and got heavier weights in the head both times. The original epic head I got at 44.5 and it had two sliding weights and as I stated last year my triple diamond they increased that lighter weight from 2 to 8

my playing length is usually 45.25" so most likely use tip weights for that change.  44.5" is a big change which would explain the different weights.

On 2/17/2024 at 1:04 PM, Pens #1 fan said:

L.O.F.T 

YES!

I was fit at Fujikura and they were the first people who said to go 10.5* +1 so at 11.5*.

Currently doing the same in AI Smoke Max.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Im going to call customer service shortly and see if they can confirm. I virtual chatted with a fitter rep and he said he said they will definitely change the weights to heavier to bring the swing weight back to standard but he thinks with the max model they will add most of the weight to the sliding track to bring the weight back up which wouldn't be ideal for me. I played triple diamond last year and prefer the look of the max this year and with the ability to boost the front weight to make it more like the triple diamond in spin characteristics it was a home run for me. Im going to request they build it off an 8 gram front weight and then swing weight it based on whatever they need to add to the back with that 8 gram front weight.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5X 2024

19 hours ago, belh22 said:

I ordered mine at 45.25 and asked to bring back to standard weight. Waiting for delivery 

I too, just ordered a TD at the same length (45.25”) with a 60g shaft and requested a swing weight of D3.5, so curious to see if they change the weights from the stock 14g + 2g. 🤔

• Haha 1

Bridgestone Tour B - X driver + FUJIKURA Speeder757 Evolution III 
Cobra F8 Tour 3-wood + ALDILA NV Green 75s
BRIDGESTONE Tour B XD-H 21* + Nippon NS Pro950 UT
Irons: MIZUNO Pro221 + DG S300
Mizuno MP-T5/MP-T22

BETTINARDI BB-1f 

BRIDGESTONE TOUR B RX 

I called to see if i could dictate where they add the weight to have them put 8 in the front and then the 14 slider in the back and they said no they wouldnt do that you can only ask for a specific swing weight not how they go about getting that swing weight and with the max they add the weight to the sliding track to bring it up which is not at all where i would want to be so i cancelled my order. I don't feel like sourcing aftermarket weights from billy bobs or something to try to and it where i want it. I had a couple other driver options perform just as good and ill be going down one of those routes.

Taylormade TP5X 2024

On 2/17/2024 at 2:09 PM, txbadger said:

I always like experimenting with shaft/head combos and for some reason I wanted to really like the VF (usually don't get too attached to brands and such.. I just want to find the best performer).   I did try the TR red in 6x but for my swing, the TR red just gives too much spin/launch is too high but given the profile that is to be expected.    Unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) the comparisons for the VF always seem to be against the Ventus black.   I just didn't see them nearly as the same beast...I've been told I should have tried a TX in the VF for a more like to like comparison.   I didn't so I can't comment on that.   

I would be interested to hear how you get on with your test as I thought the VF 6x felt more similar to the TR Red 6x than Black 6x (TR red was higher launch tho, no doubt).   

VF in X feels noticeably softer and spins more than TX.  I have 7TX and tested the 6 and 7X.  VF in TX isn't exactly the same as the Ventus Black, IMO, but it's not that far off either.  More feel, slightly higher launch and spin is a wash.  Ventus Black doesn't really bend/kick whereas the VF has a slight bend under the handle.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

53 minutes ago, n_rones said:

I called to see if i could dictate where they add the weight to have them put 8 in the front and then the 14 slider in the back and they said no they wouldnt do that you can only ask for a specific swing weight not how they go about getting that swing weight and with the max they add the weight to the sliding track to bring it up which is not at all where i would want to be so i cancelled my order. I don't feel like sourcing aftermarket weights from billy bobs or something to try to and it where i want it. I had a couple other driver options perform just as good and ill be going down one of those routes.

I hear what your saying...but the weights are only like $14 with shipping on ebay.

The head weights are consistently weighing out at 194gr, I am coming from a Stealth weighing in at 198gr so I think it would be worth the tinker to purchase a 6gr weight to replace the 2gr front weight...should knock some spin off. Not sure if your in the same situation or not.

I have personally found the spin difference between the TD and Max to be negligible. I needed a 10.5 TD to keep my spin window above 2000RPM and I was achieving almost the same launch (12.5-13) with a 9* Max with the spin maybe 250RPM higher on average. I would NEVER typically gravitate toward a Callaway little own a max type driver as tend to launch it fair low and average around 2400RPM (115MPH SS) but the Max is next level forgiveness and the dispersion on misses compare to the TD and the Qi10 (STD and LS) is insane. 

"Take er' deep"

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

VF in X feels noticeably softer and spins more than TX.  I have 7TX and tested the 6 and 7X.  VF in TX isn't exactly the same as the Ventus Black, IMO, but it's not that far off either.  More feel, slightly higher launch and spin is a wash.  Ventus Black doesn't really bend/kick whereas the VF has a slight bend under the handle.   

makes a lot of sense given what I heard about the VF flex vs Ventus flex.   Unfortunately I didn't really learn about that until I already had the VF 6x & 7x's in hand.    All things considered tho, I prefer the stiff handle so probably won't be rushing to try the VF TX unless ofc someone lists one I can't pass up

11 minutes ago, mojomover said:

I see that the Vanquish in the configurator is now the vanquish PL which seems to be a made for shaft?

https://mitsubishigolf.com/products/vanquish-pl

Looks like the real deal...limited weights and flexs on the site...anything other than what's listed will be made for.

"Take er' deep"

12 minutes ago, mike_wardo said:

https://mitsubishigolf.com/products/vanquish-pl

Looks like the real deal...limited weights and flexs on the site...anything other than what's listed will be made for.

so that link is the Vanquish PL and this is the link to the Vanquish: https://mitsubishigolf.com/products/vanquish#specs (the specs are also quite different)

In fact, the PL link has the callaway branding with "As Featured in Callaway", which again seems like a Callaway specific shaft?

Not driver related, but definitely Paradym AI Smoke related.  But, does anyone know if Callaway has a standard tipping practice for their fairways?  I have to order my triple D 7w through Dicks because I have some gift cards.  Going out on a limb for an AD IZ.  I only tried it in a driver years ago and thought it was way softer than I would like.  I want to have it tip trimmed 1.5" but don't know what Callaway's default is.  I can request 1" hard but not sure if that is in addition to default or just 1" total.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I posted this on the Ping G430 Max 10k thread about a week ago. I'm happy to say that my new Ai Smoke Max just arrived today. I will be testing at the sim next week.

"Just had my Trackman fitting up here in the great white north. Just got seriously back into golf (after I retired) and my current gamer was 20 years old. Everything today did far better than it, LoL. I told the fitter I really wanted the 10k to work. He in fact is a Ping pro. I should say I'm 60 with a 94-98 SS, 3-5 deg inside out swing, +1 to 2 deg angle of attack. I was only willing to try the Ping and the Ai Smoke. I'm not planning on changing again for a while and I was concerned on the longevity of the Qi10. Fitter also had me try the Ping G430 Max (non 10k) but it was the worst. For the Ping 10k, I used the 10.5 head, sometimes at 10.5, sometimes turned down to 9.5. For shafts, I tried the Tour chrome and the HZRDUS Red both in Reg and Stiff. No matter how hard I, and the fitter tried, we couldn't find a combo that was better than the Ai Smoke. Surprisingly, it came down to spin. I typically spin the ball a little too much. Although both were decent, The Ai Smoke zoned right into what was ideal for me around 2600-2800. I thought the 10k would be lower, but the best combo for me (HZRDUS Red Reg) came in around 2900-3100. I got a little more yardage from the Ai Smoke and my dispersion was less (around 140-145 Ball speed, with around 250 distance). I was surprised and a little disappointed (as was the fitter I think), but in the end he and I could not argue with the results. The Ai Smoke also felt better in my hands (just more natural for some reason). My Ai Smoke Max (10.5, Tensei AV Blue 55 Reg) was ordered today."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, this_is_golf said:

I’m planning to get fit on Monday. Based on hitting a few drivers already I think it’s going to come down to Ai Smoke Max and G430 10k. I’m leaning towards AIS based on looks but have to see what the numbers show. 

Have fun. Like I posted just above, those were the 2 drivers it came down to for me as well. I happened to be leaning heavily towards the Ping, but the AIS could not be denied. Both did well for me, but the AIS felt better in my hand and had better numbers.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:20 PM, tdm1 said:

I posted this on the Ping G430 Max 10k thread about a week ago. I'm happy to say that my new Ai Smoke Max just arrived today. I will be testing at the sim next week.

"Just had my Trackman fitting up here in the great white north. Just got seriously back into golf (after I retired) and my current gamer was 20 years old. Everything today did far better than it, LoL. I told the fitter I really wanted the 10k to work. He in fact is a Ping pro. I should say I'm 60 with a 94-98 SS, 3-5 deg inside out swing, +1 to 2 deg angle of attack. I was only willing to try the Ping and the Ai Smoke. I'm not planning on changing again for a while and I was concerned on the longevity of the Qi10. Fitter also had me try the Ping G430 Max (non 10k) but it was the worst. For the Ping 10k, I used the 10.5 head, sometimes at 10.5, sometimes turned down to 9.5. For shafts, I tried the Tour chrome and the HZRDUS Red both in Reg and Stiff. No matter how hard I, and the fitter tried, we couldn't find a combo that was better than the Ai Smoke. Surprisingly, it came down to spin. I typically spin the ball a little too much. Although both were decent, The Ai Smoke zoned right into what was ideal for me around 2600-2800. I thought the 10k would be lower, but the best combo for me (HZRDUS Red Reg) came in around 2900-3100. I got a little more yardage from the Ai Smoke and my dispersion was less (around 140-145 Ball speed, with around 250 distance). I was surprised and a little disappointed (as was the fitter I think), but in the end he and I could not argue with the results. The Ai Smoke also felt better in my hands (just more natural for some reason). My Ai Smoke Max (10.5, Tensei AV Blue 55 Reg) was ordered today."

Just took my new Ai Smoke Max to the Sim. I only had 30 minutes and I was very pleased. I gained about 20 yards on my old gamer (and it was old - 20 yr old cobra 440sz), and of course the dispersion was far better. Many of my balls were in the 250-267 yard range (other than a few mishits) which is great for me.

10 minutes ago, tdm1 said:

Just took my new Ai Smoke Max to the Sim. I only had 30 minutes and I was very pleased. I gained about 20 yards on my old gamer (and it was old - 20 yr old cobra 440sz), and of course the dispersion was far better. Many of my balls were in the 250-267 yard range (other than a few mishits) which is great for me.

Holy crap. I bet you’re excited, 20 yards is a lot even though the technology has changed a lot in that 20 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdm1 said:

How did your fitting go? Which driver did you get?

I didn’t have time to do an actual fitting but I was able to hit some shots with both. The AIS launched higher but I was seeing more consistent shots with the 10k. Ball speeds between the two were similar and weren’t much better than my G425 Max. I didn’t get spin numbers. I still need to do a fitting and see if I can find the right shaft combo. 

• Like 1