Why is TXG/Club Champion so against the golf ball rollback?

nikegolfer93

How do the Stacked golf couple feel about the rollback? 

• Haha 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

4 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

How do the Stacked golf couple feel about the rollback? 

Ashley's going to be missing her putts short

• Haha 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

They are against it because they will sell fewer clubs and make less $$.

This is why ALL equipment companies are against it and why the best solution is bifurcation of the ball. I'd also prefer bifurcation of the clubs as well but sounds like that isn't even on the table. Bifurcation provides the necessary changes to the pro game to keep courses relevant while letting amateurs buy and play whatever they want. 

Baseball is a perfect example:

Pro's play wooden bats and amateurs play metal or composite bats. If the pros were able to play composite bats you would either need to accept that all HR records will be broken, winning scores would be 18-15 OR rebuild every stadium to have the outfield fence at 500~ ft instead of 300-400ft. The other thing about baseball is that the ball isn't getting faster every single year like it is in golf. 

You'd also kill some hapless pitcher with a line drive.  But yes, to most of what you wrote.

Bifurcation would harm the marketing message that you could play the exact equipment the pros do, but in that case, just make the 'pro ball' available for sale as well.

• Like 1

So Dr Sasha was on the Hack it out podcast and is against it because it is lazy science. He said having a 317 limit at 115 club head speed is meaningless because if you swing 120-125 you are still long. He also said ball makers will work the test. And that good players will just adjust angle of attack can change and other options that are outside of testing parameters. Just have ball makers make balls that pass the test and then have pros playe them on course and get actual data.

He did say it will be great for business

• Like 2

4 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

There's something to be said about the club manufacturers reluctancy to make different versions of clubs for ams or pros to take advantage of one or more golf balls and etc.

This decision opens up a whole can of worms and those with power int he golf industry will have the influence.

In regards to TXG/CC - their business model thrives on people seeing better results. How do you think people will react when they go in for a fitting down the road after the new ball is implemented and their numbers are WORSE? lol "Sorry theres a new golf ball and you'll never hit it as far like you used to". Yeah that'll go over well and really make them $$$ 😂

Their business is fitting and selling equipment. I bet my lunch that most their business comes from people that buy new equipment at least every other year. That will remain unchanged with the new rule. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

This is why ALL equipment companies are against it and why the best solution is bifurcation of the ball. I'd also prefer bifurcation of the clubs as well but sounds like that isn't even on the table. Bifurcation provides the necessary changes to the pro game to keep courses relevant while letting amateurs buy and play whatever they want. 

Pro's play wooden bats and amateurs play metal or composite bats. If the pros were able to play composite bats you would either need to accept that all HR records will be broken, winning scores would be 18-15 OR rebuild every stadium to have the outfield fence at 500~ ft instead of 300-400ft. The other thing about baseball is that the ball isn't getting faster every single year like it is in golf. 

MLB has also changed the firmness and seams of the ball to change pitching/hitting as well. They’ve also changed mound heights for the same thing. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

46 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Their business is fitting and selling equipment. I bet my lunch that most their business comes from people that buy new equipment at least every other year. That will remain unchanged with the new rule. 

It won't remain unchanged. It will go up...

Ian - "Great news, with this new $500 aftermarket shaft, Ping's newest low spin driver, and these loft jacked hollow body irons, w/ another after market shaft upgrade, you've not only gained back all the distance those jerks as the USGA stole, but you gained 3 more!!" 

Weekend Hack - "Awesome! You're a life saver!"

Ian - "Anytime, we'll have your clubs built in 4 to 6 weeks. Before you go, let me tell you about this special from the guys at The Stack System exclusive to TXG customers!"

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

They won't sell fewer clubs with this rollback. In fact, they will sell more as golfers will be looking to adapt to the new ball and how far it (doesn't) go.

• Like 2

Weird.  Like their business model or something revolves typically around distance gains or something. 

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

2 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

It won't remain unchanged. It will go up...

Ian - "Great news, with this new $500 aftermarket shaft, Ping's newest low spin driver, and these loft jacked hollow body irons, w/ another after market shaft upgrade, you've not only gained back all the distance those jerks as the USGA stole, but you gained 3 more!!" 

Weekend Hack - "Awesome! You're a life saver!"

Ian - "Anytime, we'll have your clubs built in 4 to 6 weeks. Before you go, let me tell you about this special from the guys at The Stack System exclusive to TXG customers!"

IF you were in their shoes, what would you do?  It's easy to sit back and be a keyboard hero (not suggesting you are) and say "why would TXG be against a rollback?"  They fear it will hurt their business and I agree, it most certainly will.  I'm a good golfer and I carry my driver 250 and get good rollout to 280 on a good day.  A rollback would hurt me for sure especially in competition where I'm dealing with bombers.  But, if it passes like they say, challenge accepted.  If not, cool.  I respect the USGA and R&A.

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

On 12/3/2023 at 11:34 AM, nikegolfer93 said:

Why are the guys at TXG/Club Champion so against the the golf ball roll back?

They could still sell and rest the non-nerfed version of the ProVs

They make their living off the equipment industry.  They're gonna side with equipment manufacturers quite obviously 

7 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

They make their living off the equipment industry.  They're gonna side with equipment manufacturers quite obviously 

I think it's the other way around. They are living off the goodwill and trust they have built with their viewer base and turning those viewers into customers. 

If they don't take the side of their customers, they betray that trust and goodwill.  

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

7 hours ago, Binson said:

I think it's the other way around. They are living off the goodwill and trust they have built with their viewer base and turning those viewers into customers. 

If they don't take the side of their customers, they betray that trust and goodwill.  

Don’t you know it’s the big bad equipment and ball companies that are ruining golf (sarcasm because its the same people in every thread bashing the OEMs for how bad the game is and for pushing the distance thing)

Because it's a really rubbish idea?

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I have no idea why they're against it. 

There whole marketing strategy should be "get fit and we'll regain the yards lost, guaranteed" 

I mean, the whole industry has the opportunity to resell entire bags of gear with new clubs "optimized for the new ball" or whatever marketing wank they want to go with. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

16 hours ago, subrew said:

I'm not missing any of that.  There is a 9 million page thread on this forum talking about it.  This thread doesn't need to be another one.  I watch a fair bit of TXG, so I see what Ian and Mike discuss.  They often take a stance on topics that is pretty conservative golf standard issue.  Then a year later, things change, it wasn't as bad as they thought etc.  

And FYI, bifurcation isn't part of it anymore.  OEMs said no thanks to the MLR, so they have moved on to a reduced ball for everyone.  That was in the news a few months back.  In fact, that is part of what Rory's very recent comments (yesterday) discussed.  

So you are in luck.  If you hated the idea of a rollback because of bifurcation, you don't need to be concerned anymore.

Your assumption that the "conservative" view is to ALLOW the rollback change is what's wrong.  That's what I meant.

And some don't believe this is the only change that's coming, it's just a start.  So we'll see if bifurcation will reappear shortly after this change.  

20 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

And some don't believe this is the only change that's coming, it's just a start.  So we'll see if bifurcation will reappear shortly after this change.  

We already have bifurcation. 

Scottie Scheffler just won with a driver and fairway wood that haven't even been announced publicly by the OEM. And I couldn't find an order page for a Logan Olson putter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

10 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Scottie Scheffler just won with a driver and fairway wood that haven't even been announced publicly by the OEM. And I couldn't find an order page for a Logan Olson putter.

We don’t have bifurcation. Any equipment they use is on the conforming list and meets the same specs as the clubs in your bag.

not to mention we are at the time of the year where new releases are coming and pros put it in play where the risks of bad rounds and tourneys don’t have much impact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RCGA said:

And to top it off, Scott Scheffler just invested in a pickleball team.   

Closed bid - WTF? 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RCGA said:

I could make a one off putter that Scottie could never own.  I have a wedge that I ground myself.  I have a specific amount of hot melt in my driver.  That doesn't mean our equipment is bifurcated.  The rules are the same. 

Edited by MattC555
  • Like 3

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

2 hours ago, RCGA said:

I have no idea why they're against it. 

There whole marketing strategy should be "get fit and we'll regain the yards lost, guaranteed" 

I mean, the whole industry has the opportunity to resell entire bags of gear with new clubs "optimized for the new ball" or whatever marketing wank they want to go with. 

If golfers have to buy a whole new bag of sticks just to stay where they were yesterday, many of your new and covid golfers will probably say screw it and bail out of the sport. Many of your older players who are already struggling with distance probably will too. Of course some might like the idea of fewer people taking up the game and clogging up their course but if your livelihood is selling merch (like TXG/CC) then that will very much not be good for you.

2 hours ago, bodhi555 said:

Because it's a really rubbish idea?

I came here to post this, but I was going to use the word sh1t

Changing the ball is a disgusting idea based purely on the fact that all the balls manufactured prior to the rule coming into effect are going to be essentially landfill.

Bifurcation isn't the answer either, I want to play what the Pros play, I know McIlroy said they already play different stuff, but them playing a different ball to the rest of us just doesn't seem right either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

1 hour ago, PickItUpGolf said:

I came here to post this, but I was going to use the word sh1t

Changing the ball is a disgusting idea based purely on the fact that all the balls manufactured prior to the rule coming into effect are going to be essentially landfill.

Bifurcation isn't the answer either, I want to play what the Pros play, I know McIlroy said they already play different stuff, but them playing a different ball to the rest of us just doesn't seem right either.

Then go buy a sleeve of the Pro-only ball.  That's fine.  Move up if you need to, lol.  More power to you, and I appreciate wanting to compare apples to apples.

But in this situation, you're not forced to use that ball.  Pros would be, but that's fair.  They're the ones causing the problem.

49 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Then go buy a sleeve of the Pro-only ball.  That's fine.  Move up if you need to, lol.  More power to you, and I appreciate wanting to compare apples to apples.

But in this situation, you're not forced to use that ball.  Pros would be, but that's fair.  They're the ones causing the problem.

Except when the manufacturers stop producing the non compliant ball and unless you have a stockpile of the current ball and don’t plan to maintain a handicap you will have to play the new ball since it’s not just a pro ball but a ball for everyone.

Then when that stockpile runs out the golfer will be forced to play the new ball

• Like 1