2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Why Christmas day is not a popular golf day?

khalespace

It has been really hard to get tee times on Saturday, and Sunday mornings. Holidays like Black Friday or Thanksgivings are similar. However, I am surprised to see so many tee times available for this Monday morning from 7am to 10am (Dec 25). It is a holiday and everybody is at home, why don't people golf? 

I am not a Christian and an immigrant to the US so may be I still don't fully understand the importance of Christmas.

Jesus' birthday and Santa came last night - every dad or anyone for that matter wants and needs to be home with their family. 

Black Friday she shops so we golf, Thanksgiving starts in the afternoon for most

And Jews go to Chinese restaurant on Christmas not the golf course

Only person I know who plays on Christmas is the kid from our crew who turned pro ... he's Cambodian and Buddhist 

I'm joking of course  .... but not really

• Like 3

Up here in NY there's usually snow on the ground or cold temperatures to dissuade golfers. 

That, and we're usually doing family stuff that day. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

8 hours ago, khalespace said:

It has been really hard to get tee times on Saturday, and Sunday mornings. Holidays like Black Friday or Thanksgivings are similar. However, I am surprised to see so many tee times available for this Monday morning from 7am to 10am (Dec 25). It is a holiday and everybody is at home, why don't people golf? 

I am not a Christian and an immigrant to the US so may be I still don't fully understand the importance of Christmas.

Because I'm in Minnesota......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

9 hours ago, khalespace said:

You're surely asking this in jest. I'm not a Christian either, but we still get together with the family, watch the kids and grandkids open presents, and generally just spend time together. Even if this isn't your cultural practice, surely you at least understand the basic concept of gathering on a holiday????

In addition, I don't know about where you are, but most courses are closed here, at least in the morning. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't go out of respect for the employees who would surely rather be at home with their own families than catering to entitled golfers...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That would be pretty sweet (in a high trust community).  A course gifting its patrons free golf on Christmas.  No workers, walkers only, first come first served.  

What could go wrong? lol

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

46 minutes ago, shankasaurus rex said:

You're surely asking this in jest. I'm not a Christian either, but we still get together with the family, watch the kids and grandkids open presents, and generally just spend time together. Even if this isn't your cultural practice, surely you at least understand the basic concept of gathering on a holiday????

In addition, I don't know about where you are, but most courses are closed here, at least in the morning. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't go out of respect for the employees who would surely rather be at home with their own families than catering to entitled golfers...

My family gets together on Christmas eve. I am in Southern CA and it will be 67F high.

10 hours ago, golow said:

Jesus' birthday and Santa came last night - every dad or anyone for that matter wants and needs to be home with their family. 

Black Friday she shops so we golf, Thanksgiving starts in the afternoon for most

And Jews go to Chinese restaurant on Christmas not the golf course

Only person I know who plays on Christmas is the kid from our crew who turned pro ... he's Cambodian and Buddhist 

I'm joking of course  .... but not really

This Jew will be playing golf. lol Before I got married and moved south me and a friend of mine used to go skiing on Christmas day. No lift lines it was awesome. I married and divorced a shiksa so now that I'm single again I'm back to activities on X-mas day. 🙂

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, khalespace said:

Plenty of people don't understand the meaning behind Christmas, or for that matter, other holiday's, and they are Americans, maybe.  You're not alone.  Certain holidays like Christmas are only important to people that are family oriented and or Christians of sorts. 

Being Catholic, it's an important day for our household.  I used to attend services on Christmas morning too.  Even though our son is grown, married, and they have a daughter, family gathering is an essential priority.  I didn't marry until late in life, but when single, I was on the golf course, but when I married, some of my priories adjusted.  Family gatherings are very high on our value list. 

Have a wonderful holiday season playing golf. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, islesmb said:

This Jew will be playing golf. lol Before I got married and moved south me and a friend of mine used to go skiing on Christmas day. No lift lines it was awesome. I married and divorced a shiksa so now that I'm single again I'm back to activities on X-mas day. 🙂

I hear ya.  A few of my closest lifelong friends are Jews... One is married to a shiksa. LOL  

Whatever you do, have a good time doing it.  If I were ten years younger, I'd be in Israel using my skills. 🙂

• Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

One of the munis in my area closes on Xmas but is cool with walkers going out. I don't have kids, so I've been known to get an afternoon round in. There's a handful of people out playing. Usually they're finishing up their morning round while I'm going out. It's so peaceful having a course that's usually overcrowded to yourself. 

In the US and many other countries, Christmas is a full on family day for those able to gather.   

I can understand from afar view comparing it to Thanksgiving, so using that as a starting point, for many Christmas adds in

• Christmas is the most well attended Christian service of the year.   For many that don't attend regularly it is the one day of the year they do.
  • Breakfast is a bigger deal on Christmas than Thanksgiving, whether at home or otherwise.
  • While some gifts may be exchanged on Christmas Eve there will almost certainly be some on Christmas morning as well, especially when young children are looking to see what Santa brought them. 
  • When it comes to the aforementioned gifts, there are kids that want to play with their new toys, many of which are labeled "some assembly required".   What this really means is that someone (typically dad) has to be assemble or install at least some of the new stuff followed by teaching the kids how to use it or doing it with them.   

For many, there just isn't enough time for golf on Christmas.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Instron4204 said:

I believe a private club on Vancouver Island (Victoria Golf Club) leaves the course open for public to play on Christmas Day for free.  No workers and no flag sticks in the holes but it is a nice gesture to let the public come out and play a private course.

Crazy I was a member at victoria for a few years and never heard about that but I was also never there over Christmas. There is a cbc article mentioning that its true though. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

5 hours ago, khalespace said:

My family gets together on Christmas eve. I am in Southern CA and it will be 67F high.

Since your schedule is open, sounds like you're available to open and close the clubhouse. Thanks.

-don't forget to mow the greens and cut new pins as well. 

Edited by VNutz
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, islesmb said:

See  can still learn .... there are golfing Jews and Chinese food Jews. I hope you post a 68 ... Merry Santa Day!! And my Roman Catholic pre Italian dinner grace will mention you and all of Israel this year I promise. 

Edit- Wait ... are you an Islanders fan ? I hope you lose a sleeve onto Jericho Turnpike or wherever you play

Edited by golow

1 hour ago, VNutz said:

Since your schedule is open, sounds like you're available to open and close the clubhouse. Thanks.

-don't forget to mow the greens and cut new pins as well. 

All golf courses are open here in So Cal in Christmas day. I didn't know many courses are closed in other areas.

8 hours ago, Instron4204 said:

I believe a private club on Vancouver Island (Victoria Golf Club) leaves the course open for public to play on Christmas Day for free.  No workers and no flag sticks in the holes but it is a nice gesture to let the public come out and play a private course.

Dont believe him people. He's talking about "Links at Victoria".

Edited by bunta
  • Haha 1
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7