2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

2 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The Mav SZ was a low spin unforgiving launch monitor queen. If you like it and can tame it you can play anything. The new AI TD would be the perfect upgrade - more forgiveness (spin retention) across the face but still low spin - and with the right hosel settings and shaft could be a great upgrade if you like it. I mean the TD M could be a good upgrade as well, but coming from the Mav SZ I think you'll want something more neutral to fade biased and lower spin but doing further testing will confirm.

i agree with all of this. Tough to get fitted on the max though with the lack of demo heads.

i will add… now 5 seasons in with the mav, my typical flight is low. Spins are in the low 2s. Launch around 12-13. Clubhead speed around 107. Ball speed if I’m remembering correctly is around 165-170. Carry around 285. 

i flush it more often than not. It’s usually just a swing issue for me more than it is a contact. Which, if you’re gonna send it into the hazard, do it with authority! 

maybe I’ll go get dialed with a TD. But it’s crazy, I got fit last year & compared every new offering then to my Mav and while a few compared, nothing new was worth the price of upgrade

• Like 1

I can’t see this driver coming out of the bag. It’s just been fantastic in 3 rounds. Very forgiving and such a neutral, workable head. Can fade it or draw it no problem. I love that about it. I don’t know how much more neutral it could be. I am seeing no bias at all. High confidence in this club. I may add a little weight to the head as I usually do with Callaway drivers, but that’s all. I’ve hit big drives with it in standard settings with the stock shaft. I’ve yet to change a thing.  

Played today and it is without a doubt as long as anything I’ve played, only easier to use. I was hitting the spots I aimed at. Even if I could find a driver that could squeeze out a few more yards, I wouldn’t care. It wins in its performance on my worst swings. 

I hit one drive that I thought was pretty bad as I caught it very low on the face. But it went straight with a slight fade, got out there more than I deserved and I birdied that hole. Those are the results that impress me the most. You can miss it and it’s like you didn’t miss it. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I think I might’ve goofed going with the 9°. Wasn’t swinging the driver particularly well today, but the ones I caught were lower than I want. Unsure if I should try swapping heads, or try something like a DI-6 maybe. I was a bit gassed when I started swinging the driver, so I’m hoping that’s all it was.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

1 hour ago, Pens #1 fan said:

How fast do you swing, I tried Autoflex in a Rogue LS a couple years ago and it wasn’t to bad. I do not swing fast anymore but found if I did try shaft felt like a noodle. 

Fast and my swing are not used in the same sentence 😬

i average about 83-85.  I have peaked at 88 snd as low ss 79.  

i have had several buddies with swings jn the 93 to 101 swing it and when they did the “waggle” test they thought no way in hell.  But they all have  fairly smooth swings and got good results. 

here is one at 99 moh snd his numbers  and one from me at my average 

IMG_1022.png

IMG_1023.png

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Mine just got delivered. IMG_3549.jpeg.25ed2daa0b84a995a39b349feaca3381.jpegIMG_3551.jpeg.cb854c40254e31fcc90bd65e769dd09c.jpeg

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

Was this ordered from Fairway? PS - Epic sock & flip flop game. 

Ordered from Will. 

Haha didn’t notice my socks and slippers were seen while taking the picture . Thanks for pointing that out 😁

Edited by theadvocate_ivan
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

13 hours ago, Sep said:

i agree with all of this. Tough to get fitted on the max though with the lack of demo heads.

i will add… now 5 seasons in with the mav, my typical flight is low. Spins are in the low 2s. Launch around 12-13. Clubhead speed around 107. Ball speed if I’m remembering correctly is around 165-170. Carry around 285. 

i flush it more often than not. It’s usually just a swing issue for me more than it is a contact. Which, if you’re gonna send it into the hazard, do it with authority! 

maybe I’ll go get dialed with a TD. But it’s crazy, I got fit last year & compared every new offering then to my Mav and while a few compared, nothing new was worth the price of upgrade

I had the epic flash SZ and still feel that is the hottest and longest driver I have used. The Mavrik is on a similar train. The AiS TD is just more consistent across the face like they advertised. I dont feel the TD has those crazy F** you balls that the flash sz had too. If you can hit that spot on the face on your mavrik sz to send those F** bombs then I see why you're hesitant to switch. 

The AiS TD is miles ahead in terms of forgiveness and spin retention. I have not had any quackers or dive bombs left yet when prior I was used to at least one a round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glock917 said:

I had the epic flash SZ and still feel that is the hottest and longest driver I have used. The Mavrik is on a similar train. The AiS TD is just more consistent across the face like they advertised. I dont feel the TD has those crazy F** you balls that the flash sz had too. If you can hit that spot on the face on your mavrik sz to send those F** bombs then I see why you're hesitant to switch. 

The AiS TD is miles ahead in terms of forgiveness and spin retention. I have not had any quackers or dive bombs left yet when prior I was used to at least one a round.

agree of the EFSZ. I gamed one for a couple years and when you caught one it was a bomber. Anything away from the middle though was hook or slice city. Its why i moved to the Epic Max LS which was way better than the EFSZ. Now is the AiS TD worth the upgrade or do I hold off until 2 more years and the 5 year cycle between drivers.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

agree of the EFSZ. I gamed one for a couple years and when you caught one it was a bomber. Anything away from the middle though was hook or slice city. Its why i moved to the Epic Max LS which was way better than the EFSZ. Now is the AiS TD worth the upgrade or do I hold off until 2 more years and the 5 year cycle between drivers.

Really up to you. I had the epic max LS too. Nothing wrong with the club at all. It is still going to be an adjustment going to AiS TD and mainly dialing it in. Face is deeper so address look is different and the smaller profile.

I just like to refresh drivers every other year. I also have a vip account and trade in clubs that I only pay tax. If I had to pay full retail I'd be wary for sure. But there is the 2x trade in. 

It took me a while to get dialed in this head. It was not just plug and play for me so YMMV.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I can’t see this driver coming out of the bag. It’s just been fantastic in 3 rounds. Very forgiving and such a neutral, workable head. Can fade it or draw it no problem. I love that about it. I don’t know how much more neutral it could be. I am seeing no bias at all. High confidence in this club. I may add a little weight to the head as I usually do with Callaway drivers, but that’s all. I’ve hit big drives with it in standard settings with the stock shaft. I’ve yet to change a thing.  

Played today and it is without a doubt as long as anything I’ve played, only easier to use. I was hitting the spots I aimed at. Even if I could find a driver that could squeeze out a few more yards, I wouldn’t care. It wins in its performance on my worst swings. 

I hit one drive that I thought was pretty bad as I caught it very low on the face. But it went straight with a slight fade, got out there more than I deserved and I birdied that hole. Those are the results that impress me the most. You can miss it and it’s like you didn’t miss it. 

Completely agree with your last point. 

2 hours ago, KingKong said:

@bladehunter time to get rid of the other turd Callaway. This one is the truth...with some cheese on it. 

🤣.  I’d definitely like to hit it !  That other turd is already gone. Tried an LTDx and already finished the honeymoon with it I think ! 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My buddy just got one, has a VF6tx in it. Will give it a go tomorrow 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

Ordered mine Sunday from GG, and it arrived from Lexington to Indy today.  I played 9 holes with it this afternoon at 9° NS setting with the stock Denali black stiff shaft.  

What an amazing debut.  I never missed right all day.  Every shot was straight or a slight draw.  And distance was always right on what I expected with the OG Paradym TD.  This club may be a godsend.  I am excited to spend the time dialing it in and trying a few different shafts, although the Denali performed extremely well. 

Edited by IndyBonzo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

Ordered mine Sunday from GG, and it arrived from Lexington to Indy today.  I played 9 holes with it this afternoon at 9° NS setting with the stock Denali black stiff shaft.  

What an amazing debut.  I never missed right all day.  Every shot was straight or a slight draw.  And distance was always right on what I expected with the OG Paradym TD.  This club may be a godsend.  I am excited to spend the time dialing it in and trying a few different shafts, although the Denali performed extremely well. 

It seems the Denali works for a lot of folks. The guys at my shop got two in, one was bought that day and the next day by me. I’ve got the Denali in it and I don’t have any intentions of putting a different shaft in it since it performs so well. 

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35 Remix

Titleist Pro V1

6 hours ago, MerryTex said:

It seems the Denali works for a lot of folks. The guys at my shop got two in, one was bought that day and the next day by me. I’ve got the Denali in it and I don’t have any intentions of putting a different shaft in it since it performs so well. 

I have the Denali blue in mine. Really like it. Would love to try the black to see how it compares but very happy with the shaft

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bladehunter said:

🤣.  I’d definitely like to hit it !  That other turd is already gone. Tried an LTDx and already finished the honeymoon with it I think ! 

It's so good. I know I've said that about other clubs in the past...but this one is a different animal. 

AI Smoke TD Max 9* w/ AD VF 7x

AI Smoke TD 3W w/ Ventus Black 8x

Apex UW 19 w/ Denali Blue 80tx

G425 4H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

i530 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 S
CBX4 52/58

Phantom 11 LD

I keep telling myself it will not be an improvement over the standard max, but these reviews are off the charts. May have to do a search of the PGA SS's and Edwin watts and see if there is one on the shelf..

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

3 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

I keep telling myself it will not be an improvement over the standard max, but these reviews are off the charts. May have to do a search of the PGA SS's and Edwin watts and see if there is one on the shelf..

Anecdotally I dont think I've seen this many glowing reviews of a driver head before. 

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

31 minutes ago, 1mcozik said:

PGA SS is back ordered and GG telling me the same even though both websites show ready to ship. Oh well.

It sucks. Only way I could get a new driver was through the 2x trade ins and now that’s gone. I guess I need to budget for next year. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

1 hour ago, Jim53 said:

It's a very, very good head. 

Compared to smoke max (and paradym standard) the launch monitor will yell you they're basically the same driver.  You may swing td max slightly faster. 

To me, which driver you play would come down to which one you like the look of. For me, the paradym standard sits toed in. Didn't mind it since it goes so straight, but I do get an occasional ball that falls left with it.  Start line with paradym is also left more than I'd like. Still fades, but just starts left. Td max...start line is dead on. 

Td max may have a bigger ball in it...haven't been able to compare head to head yet.  Avg distance is a wash between the 2 on launch monitors. 

Smoke max and paradym std tested to be almost 100% the exact same in all data points. 

4 hours ago, Liveonce said:

I have the Denali blue in mine. Really like it. Would love to try the black to see how it compares but very happy with the shaft

Played 9 yesterday, swapped in a Denali Black and it's like they were made for each other. Only left miss was a slight pull that stayed in play and still had a shot into the green. Everything else was center cut, straight or with a baby fade. Great launch window and flight, was on the course so couldn't check spin numbers, but hit it into the wind a couple holes and it didn't balloon. Haven't compared to the Denali Blue, but I'm sold on this set up, sticking with the black. Would have like to try a 6.5 flex, but results are so good I'll stick with the 6.0 for a bit until I can find a 6.5 to demo.

Edited by KGolfCT

Callaway Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 Max 9° Project X Denali Black 6.0 60g 

Cobra Aerojet 3 wood 15° Project X Hzrdus RDX Blue 6.0 70g  

Taylormade P790 3 & 4 iron UST Mamiya DART V 120 F5

Srixon ZX7 Mkii 5-GW UST Mamiya DART V 120 F5

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° MID 10 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58° MID 10 DG KBS Tour Custom Series

Taylormade Spider

Taylormade TP5x

I mean, everything is basically TBD... 🙂

4 minutes ago, bitt03 said:

Is everyone going with the same loft they normally play?

My TD is 8 and the TD Max is 9, and I did not notice any troubling increase in launch, fwiw.

Based on my small sample set, I agree with those who say the Denali Black works well.  Very well.  But yeah, I plan to try some others, because I cannot help myself.