Two Piece Ball and Improved Scoring

willmillar

I'm throwing this out as food for thought.  I usually play some type of premium ball, but my last two rounds I've played a yellow Supersoft.  Both rounds I have improved my usual score by 4 strokes. Club distances across the bag were a bit longer, and  I actually benefited from the roll out of the two piece ball instead of the "check" of the premium ball. I'm in no way suggesting that everyone go out and switch to 2 piece golf balls, but I have been surprised with the results.  BTW the two rounds have been on the same course and the same conditions.  I'm going to continue this "experiment" over the next few rounds to see if I have stumbled onto something. 

Edited by willmillar

Cobra King LTDxDriver 10.5

Cobra Aerojet 5 Wood

Cobra King Utility 3 Hybrid

Cobra King Speedzone Irons (5-GW)

Titleist SM7 50, 54 Wedges

Yes Callie Putter

Srixon Soft Feel

• willmillar changed the title to Two Piece Ball and Improved Scoring

This matches with what a lot of tour pros etc say when they play with amateur players. The number of times I used to watch playing lessons from the pros and they would talk about pro ams and what the ams needed to work on, almost always was taking enough club. This rollout helping works on a lot of courses that are set up for the run up approach for that exact reason. If it is working for you keep it up, sounds like you might have found the right ball for your game!

@RightHandRough you explained exactly what I experienced now that I think about it.  I'm gonna continue and see if the results are consistent.

Cobra Aerojet 5 Wood

Yes Callie Putter

Srixon Soft Feel

Most mid-hi cap golfers should not use premium balls.  IMO is they don't have the skill to control how the ball behaves under diverse conditions.  Two-piece works more to their advantage.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I have played surlyn year round since 2015 and have shot all my lowest rounds with that type of ball.   Still play to a plus handicap though a buldging disc limits short game practice.  If you find a 2 piece ball that is consistent around the green you can score with it.  Most of the name brands offer a lower compression 2 piece.  I am playing the supesoft and top flite hammer distance now and still score well with both.  While all 2 piece balls have limitations they help simplify the short game.  In my casual group I play with a range of handicaps and all of them would play as well or better with a 2 piece ball.  Their egos won't allow it.

Munichop I totally agree with you.  Being in my mid 50's I just don't have the swing speed or distance I had a few years ago.  The Supersoft definitely helps with that.  I'm going to keep using them.  One of the guys in the group definitely has the ego, and I bet he would benefit from the 2 piece as well.

Cobra Aerojet 5 Wood

Yes Callie Putter

Srixon Soft Feel

Good players can get around the course with a 2 layer ball from tee to green but might leave a couple of strokes on the table as the stopping power around the green in pitches and chips isn't as good.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I used to play urethane in summer and surlyn in winter. Like I said since 2015 surlyn became all year for me.  My SS is in the low 90's now with my post injury body and I use the hammer distance because it seems to roll more for me once it hits the ground.  I need as much driver help as I can.  I feel most guys don't want to admit they don't need a pro ball for their games.  

I played a pink Supersoft today instead of a urethane ball and certainly noticed the ball rolling past the hole a couple yards.

But, with the weather at 40 degrees and windy I figure that didn't really matter.

I have a very slow swing speed.  Instead of worrying about distance I've tailored my game to play short courses.

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

My best score ever came with a Maxfli Softfli.

The key is knowing what your ball is going to do and playing shots that accommodate that. If the ball has a lot of roll out and you factor that in around the greens, there's no reason you can't score well with a 2 piece. Especially if the 2 piece is putting you in a better position off the tee vs a urethane ball. 

• Thanks 1

The best thing about playing a less expensive ball is the money you now have to spend on lessons.  

Every pro has a coach while very few amateurs do.  I see a trend.  Going to the range for hours without feedback from a coach could cement bad habits just as fast as a good one

Edited by 2Down

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

On 2/5/2024 at 2:23 PM, Tanner25 said:

I score best with a Titleist Velocity. It's too bad they do not have a gloss yellow ball. 

FYI Walmart has the green Velocity on sale for $17.50, the white ones are $20.  I don't know how long it will last but twice in the last week they have been there when I checked, they even restocked them.  If I didn't already have 40 some dozen balls (not kidding, I always stock up on balls when they are on sale) I would of bought more than a dozen.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

FYI Walmart has the green Velocity on sale for $17.50, the white ones are $20.  I don't know how long it will last but twice in the last week they have been there when I checked, they even restocked them.  If I didn't already have 40 some dozen balls (not kidding, I always stock up on balls when they are on sale) I would of bought more than a dozen.

Thanks, for sharing. Great prices. Hopefully, this means a new Velocity will be released soon.

• 1 month later...

For those considering a ball for windy days I recommend the Supersoft.  I played last saturday in the Phoenix area during the wind storm- same one the LPGA women saw in the Ford tourney- sustained winds over 20 mph and gusts to 40 mph.  This is rare for the Valley of the Sun and a number of courses are not designed for those kinds of wind. Regardless I put this ball in play and had my lowest tourney round in my 50 and over club in over 3 years.  Shot a bogey free 5 ubder 67 when the everage score in my flight of scratch to +4 hcp was 74.3.  The ball is so stable in the wind it gives you confidence to commit to the required shot without worrying about the big miss.  I had 14 gir including a par 5 in 2.  This was also my lowest score since I got my bulging disc injury a year ago.  For the price it is a really good value.

• Like 1

At the other end of the spectrum, I just got under 15hcp and had two back to back rounds of no lost balls/played the same ball for first time (I think). Can do it every now and then, but not consistently, so this was notable. Ball is a matte red Callaway Supersoft. I noticed it wasn’t as long, but it wasn’t as wide, either. Tough though the second round, the greens had baked out and were far less receptive to what I was dishing out.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this, as long as you account for rollout on partial shots there's really no limiting factor with surlyn that cannot be compensated for. Will you be able to hit those low-flighted spinners that check on the third bounce? Hell no! But also, you won't get the unexpected check-up when you land short of your target either. I find a lower spinning ionomer cover has less "variability" on the greens, so its better for those who cannot manipulate the spin on partial shots in the first place. I use height to stop my ball as needed, much easier for me to create vs spin.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I get it. My first years of serious golf was two piece balls that were more economical. But my experience the past few years has been different. I expected a two piece ball, even a soft ball, to go longer and straighter. I could adjust to the Greenside rollout as needed. But, my game suffered. The ball flight was not great. My Greenside effort was vexed. Back to a premium TP5 yellow. And back to better scores. And I am not a ball snob. 
I think the R&D on the premium ball has actually been as vital as any golf club advances in the ability to find a low spin driver ball that is also a high spin Greenside ball. 

4 hours ago, Golfcrzy said:

I cut a Callaway ERC Soft triple track in half the other day. Iirc it was only two pieces, and has the exact alignment aid you mention. 

Thanks ya I planned on picking some of those up

• Like 1

LTDx 9* AD-VR6x 

Cleveland Launcher Xl Halo 15*

Rad Speed 19* Hybrid

ZX5 MKII 5-AW

CBX 2 54*

TM Big Foot 58*

Odyssey Versa 3 T

Chrome Soft X-LS

8 hours ago, cj4501 said:

Thanks ya I planned on picking some of those up

I can suggest the Srixon Q-star tour divide. The feedback you get on putting is quite startling. Helped my putting heaps (used the red/yellow combo). Also cool to see the spin on greenside chips. I know it's not a two-piece, but I think it's in the same price range as the ERC Softs?

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

As far as switching from one kind of ball to another and seeing a scoring improvement, that's a well understood effect in any sort of human performance. Changing almost *anything* will often cause a slight but measurable short term improvement, whether we're talking productivity in office or factory workers or performance in sports or games. So you can switch to 2pc golf balls and you may well see an improvement in scoring for a while. Then later you can switch AWAY from 2pc balls and probably see another short term reduction of your scores.