Cancellation charges

This happened back in January.  I will do my best to explain the situation without rambling.

I made a tee time at a popular/busy municipal course in Houston (Gus Wortham).  Two days before the tee time we had one of the foursome back out and I called and changed to 3.  The evening before, my friend strained his back and wasn't sure he could play.  He attempted to stretch it out that morning but couldn't go.  When we got to the course, I informed them that one backed out, they said that i would be charged 30% for not cancelling 24 hours ahead of time.  I argued this (politely) with the lady in the pro shop to no avail.  Then she said (something to the effect of) this, "If it would have been two spots I have a twosome that is on the waiting list." (The spot cancelled earlier in the week was filled)

Now the 30% of the green fee didn't seriously affect me, but it was frustrating that an event out of my control cost me.  And it was even more frustrating that because I cancelled the 1st open spot like I was suppose to, I ended up having to pay 30% of the 4th.  Thoughts?

Edited by dugue4
typo (there are probably more)

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

It's a pretty common fee around here in FL. Now some courses I play a lot and they know me have waived it before since they know I wasn't trying to pull a fast one. 

I see 2 reasons they do it. First, I'd assume to prevent bots or people or even rivals filling out a tee sheet and canceling. It's pretty common for people to try to fill the first couple hours of the sheet then try to fill the foursome.

The second I have heard of is to prevent  a twosome from booking a foursome and saying people got sick so they don't have to play with anyone (assuming the sheet is full of foursomes around them). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dugue4 said:

Thoughts?

Its pretty clear from their website 

Tee times will be taken 7 days in advance. Please contact us at least 24 hours prior to your tee time to cancel or reduce the number of players at no charge.  If you do not cancel 24 hours prior to your tee time, you will be charged a no show fee of 30% of the amount of the tee time reservation.

• Like 1

I must have emphasized the wrong thing.  I was mildly agitated at the 30%, but i understood that.  What I was more agitated that they said if i hadn't have cancelled, then I wouldn't be charged.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

1 minute ago, dugue4 said:

I must have emphasized the wrong thing.  I was mildly agitated at the 30%, but i understood that.  What I was more agitated that they said if i hadn't have cancelled, then I wouldn't be charged.

That's not exactly what they were saying.  If you hadn't cancelled the first one, you wouldn't have been charged because there just happened to be a 2-some that wanted to play.  Without that 2-some, you would've been charged two 30% fees.  

• Like 3

Just now, jacob7071 said:

That's not exactly what they were saying.  If you hadn't cancelled the first one, you wouldn't have been charged because there just happened to be a 2-some that wanted to play.  Without that 2-some, you would've been charged two 30% fees.  

And they probably would have been within their rights (though perhaps not polite) to charge you even if the spots were filled.  In my opinion you and the course did everything right.  Your buddy should pony up to complete the loop!

• Like 2

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

11 minutes ago, jacob7071 said:

This, but they wouldn't have had to, so nice they would consider it.

Edited by Hawkeye77

I play there all the time. They've told me the same thing before that if it gets filled they don't charge you, but I think that's just them being nice about it. The few times that's happened to me I fully expected to pay the 30%. 

I've also cancelled day of for a solo spot on the website and not been charged so who knows. 

As someone who used to have to compete and search for open tee times (often to no avail) I think courses should always charge no show fees (particularly if the tee sheet is jammed). Yes, there are things outside of your control that happen but the flipside is others can't book a tee time. If the course is wide open then let's talk about maybe some flexibility there. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Thank Covid; it's the same here in SOCAL.  I do NOT get tee times for 4 unless I know everyone is trustworthy, WILL SHOW or cover their no show cost. 

Today, the bittersweet part of life and increase in golfer's, countless people lack character, thus NOT trustworthy.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, dugue4 said:

This happened back in January.  I will do my best to explain the situation without rambling.

I made a tee time at a popular/busy municipal course in Houston (Gus Wortham).  Two days before the tee time we had one of the foursome back out and I called and changed to 3.  The evening before, my friend strained his back and wasn't sure he could play.  He attempted to stretch it out that morning but couldn't go.  When we got to the course, I informed them that one backed out, they said that i would be charged 30% for not cancelling 24 hours ahead of time.  I argued this (politely) with the lady in the pro shop to no avail.  Then she said (something to the effect of) this, "If it would have been two spots I have a twosome that is on the waiting list." (The spot cancelled earlier in the week was filled)

Now the 30% of the green fee didn't seriously affect me, but it was frustrating that an event out of my control cost me.  And it was even more frustrating that because I cancelled the 1st open spot like I was suppose to, I ended up having to pay 30% of the 4th.  Thoughts?

Shocked there wasn't another single ready to go at Gus. Must have been one of the days with crappy weather in the Houston area last month. Anyway, lesson learned. 30% at Gus is it going to set you back much, but I'd still give my friend a good ribbing until he made me square.

I learned many moons ago that planning golf, or guys golf trips etc is not worth it. I'll gladly tag along, but no longer in charge of it after I almost got stuck for a dinner deposit for 15 people in Monterey. 

Edited by snagy2000
  • Like 2

Recently, two days before play, both my weather apps were saying 60-75% chance of rain.  The day before it was saying that too, so I called and cancelled our tee time without checking with the other 3. 

When the tee time is under my name for $120  ea = $480 on my CC... I am responsible for deciding.  Here in CA, everyone wants 24hrs notice.  To protect us, it's better to be safe than sorry.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

The guys that cancelled are on the hook for this. We have an unwritten rule in my group that if you cancel/ drop out and there is any related fee it goes on your tab.

You have to honor the time and your commitment to it. Stuff happens- I get that-  but the guy that made the effort to get the time should not be on the hook if you cancel- no matter the reason.

Easily settled at the bar after your next round...or you can have the offender over to your house to work off the fee with some yard work.

• Like 2

• dugue4 locked this topic