Why am I struggling with T150???

Turfguy

Played 716 AP2 with X100 for several years and loved them. Recently got t150s with modus 120x. I also had ZX7s in between. While I liked the ZX7, I couldn’t get the T150 out of my head. Now, I am struggling to get any consistency or confidence in them.  I have always played this type of iron, but these are puzzling. Maybe it’s the shafts? Maybe I just haven’t spent enough time on the range?  Even when I hit them solid, they feel much more clicky than the AP or the ZX7. What say you???

Modus 120X and X100 are fairly different shafts

The T150 are definitely a but clicky versus the softer forgings out there, but that shouldn't affect performance 

What problems are you seeing?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I went from AP2 716s to T150s like you.  I have KBS Regular shafts (62 years old) and like them so far.  I had some troubles with the tungsten heads (5-7) at first, but now have adjusted.  I like the feel on a well struck shot with the Pro V1X - nice soft click.  My index is 5.9 for a reference point.

Were you fitted?  Lie angle is important too.

Don't give up on them - their really good!

Thanks for the replies. I was not fit, but years ago an old pro told me during a fitting that I was the guy that standard clubs were made for.  I know things change but I’m still the same height, build, and basic swing mechanics(as low as 1.3 still under 6 index).  I know the heads are good, the shafts just don’t do what I am thinking should happen.  Lots of shots to the right and way more poor contact than I am accustomed to feeling.  I was hoping the lighter modus would be a little better for the back and neck, but it’s looking like I was wrong. 

Switch the shafts out, I went to the Modus 125X for while. The Modus line is fantastic for the right player, but my approach play suffered.

As soon as I put the X100’s everything was back to normal.

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

10 hours ago, Turfguy said:

Played 716 AP2 with X100 for several years and loved them. Recently got t150s with modus 120x. I also had ZX7s in between. While I liked the ZX7, I couldn’t get the T150 out of my head. Now, I am struggling to get any consistency or confidence in them.  I have always played this type of iron, but these are puzzling. Maybe it’s the shafts? Maybe I just haven’t spent enough time on the range?  Even when I hit them solid, they feel much more clicky than the AP or the ZX7. What say you???

ZX7 is the perfect players iron!!!  Put them back in the bag

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

Probably shafts, but the T150s really only feel good on center strikes. If you are not compressing them, or if you are off-center, they can feel a little harsh for this category. But if you're compressing the ball and more or less hitting center (at least in my experience) they give you all of the pure forged feel you would want. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

Modus 120 is a "love it or hate it" profile; really aren't any other ones that are comparable.

If you've had success in the past with Dynamic Gold but going lighter is what drew you to Modus 120, Dynamic Gold 120 is your best bet if proper fitting isn't an option.

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

14 hours ago, Turfguy said:

I have a set of T100S in storage; essentially, they were the starting point for T150.  They only lasted 8 months due to excessive spin and didn't like high trajectory. 

I tested T150 before buying the new T100, they are not clicky.  I just don't like strong lofts.  But the other factor that can throw off consistency is dropping from 130g to 120g and squirrely swing weight.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I played the DG 120 S300 for a while and recently made the swap to the Modus 115 Stiff and won't be going back. As others have stated, the 105/115/125 all play very similar to the DG 105,120,130(STD S300). The modus 120 is way too bendy for me  and feels like i'm swinging a noodle, but I also play S and not X. I would probably recommend the Modus 125X if you're looking for similar to the X100 or the 115X if you want something slightly lighter, but in that same profile. Good luck!

Gear Junkie / Professional Shanker

WITB

Driver: Titleist Tsr3 8° (B2/H1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s (68g) - MCC+4 - 45"

3 Wood: Titleist Tsr3 15° (A1/T1) - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s (78g) - MCC+4 - 43"

3 Hybrid: Titleist Tsr3 19° (A1/T1) - Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s (85g) - MCC+4 - 40.75"

Utility: Srixon ZX MkII 18° (STD) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff (107g) - MCC+4 - 39.5"

Irons: Fourteen TB7 4-PW (22°-44°) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 Tour 115 Stiff (119g) - MCC+4 - STD

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw (49/54/59) - (BB&F Co) - Nippon Modus3 115 Wedge (122g) - MCC+4 - STD

Putter: PING Anser 30 'Proto' (Carbon/Patina/360g/2.5°/70°) - PLD Composite Shaft - Lamkin Deep Etch Cord - 34.5"

Testing: Lamkin Crossline Cord STD, Vice Pro Plus

I agree with those saying it's the shaft.  The Modus 120 feels completely different to me than the DG line.  I can't time the Modus 120 at all.  It's to the point to where I don't even try a club if it has that shaft.  I've played DGTI s400 and AMT White s300 with a brief stint in the Modus 125s.  The 125s is close to the DG feel.  Modus 120 was all over the place for me.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I have tried so many different shafts but have always returned to True Temper.  I was recently fit for T100 irons with AMT Black S300 shafts and really enjoy them.  I can't tell a difference between weights of clubs whatsoever and the longer irons tend to go a bit further.  I purchased T150 6 and 5 irons and really enjoy them, they are slighly more forgiving than the T100 but go a bit far.  I think I will get them bent a degree or two weaker to have better gapping.  I agree with everyone above that you should go back to a TT shaft and that should fix your problems.  I tried the Modus 120S during fitting and everything went left for me, not sure what the X would do.  

28 minutes ago, Barfolomew said:

WRX says its the shaft...

Man I need to get fitted one these days..... been swinging Modus 120s for 8 years and maybe I hate em and dont even know it 🦃

I had Modus 120s in my previous set of irons and 'thought' I loved them...  Got fit for my T100s and found out that the Modus was NOT a good shaft for me.  Tried ACCRA steel and they are money.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4

Titleist TSR3

Titleist TSi3

Titleist T100s

Vokey SM9

Cameron Notchback

1 hour ago, jwbeav said:

I have tried so many different shafts but have always returned to True Temper.  I was recently fit for T100 irons with AMT Black S300 shafts and really enjoy them.  I can't tell a difference between weights of clubs whatsoever and the longer irons tend to go a bit further.  I purchased T150 6 and 5 irons and really enjoy them, they are slighly more forgiving than the T100 but go a bit far.  I think I will get them bent a degree or two weaker to have better gapping.  I agree with everyone above that you should go back to a TT shaft and that should fix your problems.  I tried the Modus 120S during fitting and everything went left for me, not sure what the X would do.  

Same. Something about the X100 that just works. Could easily play s300 as well without issue. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

9 hours ago, Turfguy said:

Thanks for the replies. I was not fit, but years ago an old pro told me during a fitting that I was the guy that standard clubs were made for.  I know things change but I’m still the same height, build, and basic swing mechanics(as low as 1.3 still under 6 index).  I know the heads are good, the shafts just don’t do what I am thinking should happen.  Lots of shots to the right and way more poor contact than I am accustomed to feeling.  I was hoping the lighter modus would be a little better for the back and neck, but it’s looking like I was wrong. 

I think like others are saying its almost certainly the shaft. To your point or story about the "old pro", I've been fitted I think 4 times into Ping irons. I'm always standard length, standard grips, stiff flex and either standard on lie angle or one color code upright. So- pretty "standard" across the board. That said, I've had some clubs before that I just could not get along with, usually either a hybrid or fairway wood and I think it's always been because of a shaft. I've even had this with testing fairway woods at Golf Galaxy, had like 5 of them, just hitting them all side by side by side... two of them (mainstream brands) I just could not find the center and/or hit anything solid/consistent. Put a different one in my hands, it was like night and day.

2 hours ago, Sean124 said:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, it’s probably the shaft. 

So good lol. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

They aren’t as soft off the face as the ap2’s or zx7’s. Which isn’t a bad thing, but in my experience they are more “clicky”. But that’s me assuming that t150’s have a similar feel as the t100’s

Being slightly more clicky shouldn’t be the root of your issues though

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

Have you tried any graphite? I recently switched from DG X100 to UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 110 F5s. A little higher launching but nothing extraordinary with about the same spin. I absolutely love them. Took about 1/2 range session to get use to them but once I did, boy are they nice. Graphite is definitely the way to go if you are trying to put less stress on your body. 

The Modus 120s are definitely a love/hate thing. And being that your confidence is gone, well I don't think you're gonna magical fall in love with them. Time to get some new shafts.