2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Rory not returning to Policy Board

2 hours ago, AlanWatts said:

100%. Woods is the best guy to deal with the Saudis. McIlroy is too naive and talks too much. He has a long history of poor decision making on and off the course. 

Yep. His on course issues are from this as well. His emotions are on his sleeve. It’s just his personality.  Meanwhile. Tiger and cantlay. Opposite  . 

• Like 3

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, notsohard said:

😂 ...and you know this how?

Rory has been sounding like a bit of a “ho” lol

The tours first objective is to,

Maintain as much of the standards and tradition of the brand and ecosystem as possible. And the infrastructure as well. 

And PIFs objective, from what I can tell, is to keep LIV and grow it and have it seen as a legit global tour with a positive impact on the game 

The answer is to have 2 tours that can agree on the “rules” for recruiting and geography of which tour plays where for the most part. One key is to have PIF invest in the pga tour and have a vested interest in its success 

Then the growth for both can come from intra-tour competitions in the form of these Aramco events where the top end of both tours play and a Ryder Cup type event. 

The pga tour can’t expect PIF to put LIVs destiny in the hands of Cantlay and Jay

And PIF can’t expect the tour to make wholesale changes in how the pga tour functions. 

I think TW and SSG, for that matter, accept that PIF/LIV is in it for the long haul and are happy to make a deal that gains PIF  investment and even promotes SA/Aramco if PIF will resort the boundaries.,

• Like 2

Don’t know the details of his leaving the board, but it seems he stood nearly alone and fell on his sword for the PGAT for a long time. 

LIV could be the winner here.
G. Norman - “Rory, can we meet for a few pints and talk?”  🤓😀

Cantlay - seems like more of a me player than a team player. Lost me and other fans with Ryder Cup petulance. 

Woods - this makes no sense. He and Rory are tight and are partnering in their new “tour”

Summary - fans lose. Again. Let’s settle the deals, act like adults, and get back to golf gentlemen. . 

• Like 1

Quoting from the linked article above:

…”lost a power battle to the bloc of Patrick Cantlay, Tiger Woods and Spieth, all of whom were pushing for more money and power for top players.”

Some players, notably Spieth, might think a little more about what they’re  wishing for. 

IMO any deal which doesn’t both help the lower tier players (at least a little) and the development leagues is a long term non-starter. 

• Like 3

IMO...The players greed and immaturity is killing the PGA. None of these guys seems to be able to objectively do what is actually best for the sport as a whole. And to be clear, I am not talking about lining the top level players pockets even more than they already do as they seem to have that part down pat.

• Like 3

Might need to get the old guard in there to handle this: Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino, and maybe Player ... Can you imagine?  The gray hair of experience is worth a lot. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Qi10LS, Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X. (Fit by Truespec North Georgia 2024)

3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3. (Fit by Club Champion Atlanta 2019)

2I: Ping iCrossover, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2024)

4I-PW: Callaway Rogue ST Pro, Fujikura Axiom 105X. (Self-fit 2023)

Wedges: 47, 51, 59 Edison Forged, Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX. (Self-fit 2021)

Putter: LAB Golf DF 2.1 (Self-fit 2022)

Ball: Chromesoft X (Fit by Ping's Ballnamic system).

Bag: MNML.

Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart.

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano Ace.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Duct Tape said:

Quoting from the linked article above:

…”lost a power battle to the bloc of Patrick Cantlay, Tiger Woods and Spieth, all of whom were pushing for more money and power for top players.”

Some players, notably Spieth, might think a little more about what they’re  wishing for. 

IMO any deal which doesn’t both help the lower tier players (at least a little) and the development leagues is a long term non-starter. 

Its positive that the meetings now only include SSG, PIF, and Tiger

Cantlay, Rory, Spieth all out of their element. 

Fatigue has set in for all parties, I think, even PIF must be dejected about all these signings producing zero positive traction for LIVs popularity 

I agree that the pga tour ecosystem including development must be a priority. Once a deal is done we can move on and focus on some balance of 💰 for top  players and insuring there’s plenty of incentive and opportunities for the new ranks, 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Tiger and Rory seem to have a pretty good relationship. Can't imagine Adam Scott would be concerned about Rory coming back in. I think it points to Pat and Jordan being against the idea of a more international tour or giving the LIV guys a get out of jail free card. It could also be Malnati against Rory wanting a smaller more elite tour (Say 75-100 guys). Who knows, its all speculation. 

And to add to what you wrote, can you imagine how "stimulating" the conversations are in this committee??

It has to be like page 3 of a debate here at WRX in the Rules Forum . . .

• Haha 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Rory wants the limited field world tour just under the PGAT banner. Cantlay, Speith and Tiger don't want that...

I think they should take current tournaments around the world and bump the prize money so more guys play in it. Australian Open, Irish Open, South African Open. Then create a prize fund for the players who play the best in 8 tournaments, US Open, PGA Championship, Open, Australian Open, Irish Open, South African Open, Scottish Open, Players. The player that does the best over those 8 tournaments is the world golf champion! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, redfirebird08 said:

I can't figure out Cantlay's angle. He was negotiating with LIV Golf to join them a couple years ago. Now he's suddenly anti-LIV? We know the guy doesn't really have moral scruples. Goldman Sachs on his clothing, lol

Cantlay was looking to join LIV after year 1 of LIV and it was off his FEDEX Cup win. They didn't offer him an equal contract to what they offered DJ, Bryson, or Cam Smith ... so he felt undervalued and said no thanks ... hasn't won since August of 2023. 

I don't think he is anti-LIV, I think he just feels that he has built the tour up in the last 3 years (2020 to 2023) and those players who left shouldn't reep the benefits. (Though you could make a very strong argument that besides his play, he doesn't do much to grow the Tour off the course). 

In all honesty, only 5 of the players on LIV are going to play both tours and those players only want to play classic tour stops, they don't want to play a full schedule. Alot players on LIV have voiced that they have no interest in playing on the PGA Tour again. Maybe players who lose their status on LIV, but honestly playing the Asia Tour is still good money and players that drop down from LIV would clean up on Asia and still can play DP World.

PGA Tour is working against a clock here in trying to figure out a working scheme for the future of men's professional golf 

LIV doesn't have a clock and has a mindset of 'we will try anything, if it doesn't work, we will try something else'. 

• Like 4

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

27 minutes ago, vamosjackets said:

Might need to get the old guard in there to handle this: Nicklaus, Watson, Trevino, and maybe Player ... Can you imagine?  The gray hair of experience is worth a lot. 

It would be a lot worse honestly ... those players have been greedy as well. They created a Champions Tour so they could get 'paid' on top of their pension. Not to mention the 100s of terrible golf courses they built to build homes, many of these developments operating in the red. Also they called for the roll back of the ball 30 years after their 'prime' to protect their legacy. 

Those greats were just as bad as our greats.

• Like 2

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, dfeldss said:

I love Rory (and do think he has good intentions), but you gave up your seat, man. 

I know Tiger gets a seat at the table because he's Tiger, but not sure he has the best perspective for what's best for the sport. 

At the end of the day, I have 0 confidence in any of these guys to strike any deal that will make the sport better for golf fans. The money is already outrageous for a sport that doesn't draw that many viewers comparatively. The fans will keep getting bent over with more ads, while the networks cut costs and send skeleton crews to everything that isn't a major all in the name of giving these dorks more money. Hooray!

Tiger?

He old school

“If I ruled golf? We’d be playing persimmon and balata”

Tiger Woods quoted by Jaime Diaz, Golf Digest

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, aus10KC said:

Rory wants the limited field world tour just under the PGAT banner. Cantlay, Speith and Tiger don't want that...

I think they should take current tournaments around the world and bump the prize money so more guys play in it. Australian Open, Irish Open, South African Open. Then create a prize fund for the players who play the best in 8 tournaments, US Open, PGA Championship, Open, Australian Open, Irish Open, South African Open, Scottish Open, Players. The player that does the best over those 8 tournaments is the world golf champion! 

I don't think that you realize how difficult it is for the very best to get their games in shape for 4 majors.  There is extra preparation involved as those are the ones that make a career.  8 major tournaments would dilute the importance of the 4 majors, and would make life that more difficult for the best players.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

6 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I don't think that you realize how difficult it is for the very best to get their games in shape for 4 majors.  There is extra preparation involved as those are the ones that make a career.  8 major tournaments would dilute the importance of the 4 majors, and would make life that more difficult for the best players.

It's supposed to be difficult! 

• Like 1

Even though I may not agree with everything Rory has said, I do like him and feel even though he plays on bothe the PGA and DP World Tours, it is though he is a golfer without a "tour". He is most appreciated by both tours when he appears to play but it seems like there is something he wants to get off his chest, but in this present atmosphere can't. I will say this in that if Tiger wanted him back on the board, there would never have been any further duscussion.

Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Ping G425 SFT 3W, 5W

Ping G410 4H

Ping G425 Irons 5-LW

Putter 2024 Ping Anser 2 

Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Titleist 14 Way Hybrid Golf Bag

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

Golf is hard.

6 hours ago, notsohard said:

😂 ...and you know this how?

Projecting?

Very un-Alan Watts!

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° Ventus Blue 7X
917F 18° ATX Green 85X

Fli Hi 3i Modus GOST
ZX5 MkII 5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Lab Mezz

ProV1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, kmbean said:

This whole thing at this point 

IMG_7621.webp

Quoting because I want to give this a “thanks” and an “lol”! And also a “phew”. Reading this I thought it was just me, and honestly I was feeling a little insecure about it 👊🏼

*and 💯 the state Ben is in above involves a woman! 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1