70% of speed from hands? Where does this idea come from?

I wouldn't get too hung up on this term, it's not the hands really, it's the arms, and it's more a statement to stop people thinking speed comes from the body turn and no arms or the old fast hips swing, reality is the hands are the only thing thats attached to the club, so how the energy is transferred, either efficiently or inefficiently.

Paddy Harrington has some good videos on arm speed / hand speed, all sensible info in them, as if you can get your arms moving faster, it does seem easier to move the body faster to keep it all in balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

from academic papers written after testing players of different levels. you can even find which muscles and muscle groups do the most work in sequence during the swing grouped by handicap. i’ve posted some of it here somewhere years ago.

nobody seems to care much about data. it’s too much work to read and their eyes roll back into their skulls. people prefer anecdotes, stories, myths, fiction and feelings by individual players and influencers.

the good news is that you can start by using the link below. that bad news is it will require the ability and motivation to read and not just watch a 30 second instagram.

https://scholar.google.com

I prefer data, but if someone summarize the data in a graphic that is easier to access, understand and share, it's far more likely to reach people. There's nothing wrong with a 30 second IG post if what is presented is actually true or accurate.

You link to Google Scholar, but it would be more helpful to share the actual papers you refer to.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I’m sure someone came up with the theory long ago, and was in the minority of conventional swing theory, but it wasn’t until the advent of 3D swing mapping systems like Gears and others where it could actually be proven. Kind of like the new ball flight laws were thought to be completely wrong until finally proven by the advent of launch monitors. I’m old enough to remember the days where you were a heretic if you didn’t think that the club face had nothing to do with start line. Boy was that silly. 

Edited by Llortamaisey
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

from academic papers written after testing players of different levels. you can even find which muscles and muscle groups do the most work in sequence during the swing grouped by handicap. i’ve posted some of it here somewhere years ago.

nobody seems to care much about data. it’s too much work to read and their eyes roll back into their skulls. people prefer anecdotes, stories, myths, fiction and feelings by individual players and influencers.

the good news is that you can start by using the link below. that bad news is it will require the ability and motivation to read and not just watch a 30 second instagram.

https://scholar.google.com

That wasn’t so hard to read. 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_0930.png

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Long hitters have arm and hand speed and also the ability to gather momentum and explode right at the hit.  I sometimes play with one skinny guy who can rip it big time.  His hand speed is epic, I've never seen somebody faster than him.  But on a deeper look everything about him is fast through the ball.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think of the golf swing more like cracking a whip.

The whip cracks, because you get the tip to break the speed of sound (767 mph). You do that by flicking your hand, and somehow that slow motion causes the tip to move fast. Something about links on a chain and levers multiplying the energy as it moves down the length of the whip.

In golf, you make this relatively slow motion of rotating your hips, and somehow that slow motion works its way through your shoulders, arms, and club (like the energy moving down to the end of a whip) and gets the head of the golf club moving 100 miles an hour.

I know I could never move my hands 100 miles an hour in a straight line (even for just a few feet), so there has got to be something else going on. Something that's multiplying that small bit of speed I can produce.

Anyway, I don't think focusing on the hands (which are in the middle of "the whip") is the right area to focus on gaining more speed. 

Edited by Talldog
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Talldog said:

I think of the golf swing more like cracking a whip.

The whip cracks, because you get the tip to break the speed of sound (767 mph). You do that by flicking your hand, and somehow that slow motion causes the tip to move fast. Something about links on a chain and levers multiplying the energy as it moves down the length of the whip.

In golf, you make this relatively slow motion of rotating your hips, and somehow that slow motion works its way through your shoulders, arms, and club (like the energy moving down to the end of a whip) and gets the head of the golf club moving 100 miles an hour.

I know I could never move my hands 100 miles an hour in a straight line (even for just a few feet), so there has got to be something else going on. Something that's multiplying that small bit of speed I can produce.

Anyway, I don't think focusing on the hands (which are in the middle of "the whip") is the right area to focus on gaining more speed. 

As I said, it's the whole package that is important.  To focus on one part is where things go awry. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (Didn't make the cut)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 56°, SM2 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

the problem with that is people pick apart the data or methodology of the papers, then expect me to defend and/or explain something further for them.

or they won’t read it.

and they’re on a different computer. 

and there is nothing wrong with pointing people to where to research.

and they’ll expect me to cut their grass in the afternoon after i’ve done their homework. 🙂

Just make sure you change the name on it, I don't to get in trouble turning my paper in with your name on it, I mean gees LOL j/k'ing

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

It’s about creating a chain of forces that end up with the wrists releasing the clubhead into the ball. Look at a baseball pitcher. The hips first move their weight forward, then start to turn, the upper body turns, the arm is thrown forward and finally the fingers release the ball. A golf swing is not exactly the same, but there’s the hips moving forward, turning, torso turning, arms coming down and finally the hands releasing the clubhead into the ball.

If you try to turn your torso quickly without moving the arms along, they will first stay where they are and move the wrong way relative to your torso. Eventually the joints can’t go farther and they will start moving the other way again, same way as the torso. At that point, any force the torso was generating is mostly lost, so all you got left to produce speed are the arms.

There’s no way the hands can get from almost the side of your back shoulder at the top of the backswing to in front of your chest at impact without swinging the arms hard.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zeph said:

There’s no way the hands can get from almost the side of your back shoulder at the top of the backswing to in front of your chest at impact without swinging the arms hard.

Hands are still behind the chest at impact (right elbow still bent). They catch up to the center of the chest (both arms straight) around P8.

The arms go down fast from the top of the backswing, but they don’t go forward relative to the chest as much as it looks like.

Edited by GungHoGolf
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hand, arm and hip speed all have to do with how fast you can swing.  Sequence all three correctly and efficiently which in turn will deliver max speed into the ball. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

46 minutes ago, baudi said:

My chest is located between my armpits.

If both of my hands are behind my armpits at impact, I can make a swing but then must hit the ball somewhere behind my knees and behind my trail foot.  

I was using the center of the chest (sternum) as the landmark. The hands are closer to the right armpit than the center of the chest at impact, unless you stall the shoulders and early extend/flip with straight arms at impact.

See around 7:20 here:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, baudi said:

@ GungHo. Yeah I know what you meant but your first description was painfully off.

BTW, using "@" the way you have here doesn't work. You have to type the "@" symbol followed by the first letter of the member then wait for the dialog box to choose the correct member to get the notification like this @GungHoGolf.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, GungHoGolf said:

Hands are still behind the chest at impact (right elbow still bent). They catch up to the center of the chest (both arms straight) around P8.

The arms go down fast from the top of the backswing, but they don’t go forward relative to the chest as much as it looks like.

They may not be square in front of the chest at impact, but certainly more in front than at the top of the backswing. The elbow is still a bit bent, but less than at the top. The point is that relative to the chest, the hands have moved from outside the back shoulder to closer to the middle of the chest. They can't do that unless you swing the arms down.

Edit: I saw your clairification about "behind", and I think we agree. The arms have not reached the sternum, but are closer than at the top. That's what I meant. That the arms have moved closer to the sternum

Tiger2.png

Edited by Zeph
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I’m sorry to say anyone who says the swing should start from the ground up is trying to act like they know what they’re talking about, but it’s a meaningless and redundant statement.  

It’s like saying water is wet.

What does the phrase 'should start from the ground up' mean to you.  

To me it's like saying one can knock a ball up the gap using only shoulders, arms, and hands but knocking it out of the park using legs and feet as a motor too.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I read somewhere that bomb and gouge is an simple and effective course strategy.  Just get your drive as close to the green as possible.

I realized that if I sliced the ball around the trees that was the best I could do.  I could do that consistently with an armsy swing, one shot per round.

Didn't work for me, despite trying for a season.  I was better off with a longer shot from the fairway, as I couldn't control the shorter shot from the rough.

Maybe a baseball analogy is "can't hit the curve."  There are plenty of good baseball players who can hit heat.  There are few that can hit heat and a good curve ball.

Some players can't hit a curve, even when they know it is coming!  I wasn't able to hit the ball out of the rough.  Patchy weeds are really nasty, like hitting the ball out of a divot only worse.

The weeds are usually perennials with good root systems so they can grab onto a club face and cause mischief.

For a while they didn't have anyone with the proper license to use restricted pesticides.  They had a guy but promoted someone else so he left.  Adds to the challenge of playing a cheap muni.

Edited by ShortGolfer

55 minutes ago, Jugs said:

What does the phrase 'should start from the ground up' mean to you.  

To me it's like saying one can knock a ball up the gap using only shoulders, arms, and hands but knocking it out of the park using legs and feet as a motor too.  

Bad reading comprehension.  Read the whole post again.

• Haha 4

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL