2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

biggest OEM golf club "flops"

Dill Pickleson

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's wrong with the imix setup?

I like mine quite a bit. IT gives you the opportunity to try different setup without purchasing a new driver setup

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='cherokee8215' post='1946154' date='Sep 11 2009, 10:00 PM']Ok, I'm a bit late to this one, but have plenty of comments. This thread particularly interests me as I caddied at a club in the late 1990s/early 2000s where every 20 handicapper was buying the latest junk left and right.

1. Yes, the Callaway C4 is pretty high up there on the list of all time flops. I only saw one played once, I remember it had a very dull impact sound.

2. Tommy Armour T100 Titanium irons were all the rage for about 2 months at some point in the late 90s. As were the Callaway Great Big Bertha irons with Titanium inserts, retail $1,000+. Every hacker with dotcom stock options at the club had those in 1998.

3. I disagree that the Ping Zing 2's were a flop. I played them myself for many years, as did others I know. The original Zings were a flop though. I did meet a guy who played copper Zing's, they must be pretty rare.

4. Has anyone mentioned Goldwin/Goodwin? irons and woods? They had a gold colored sole, and for whatever reason the graphite shafts sounded really thin and hollow when clanking against one another.

5. Anyone remember those "Carbite" wedges? The face actually felt like sandpaper. Probably USGA illegal.

6. I remember the cool thing about the TM Innergel balls being the unusual plastic sleeves they came in.

7. Cleveland VAS and Lynx Black Cat irons were actually quite popular in my area, for some unknown reason among high handicap left handers.

8. Who knows, but I always suspected that the Callaway War Bird 11-wood (called the "Ely Would") wasn't a hot seller, even among 85 year old golfers.

9. Kasco ceramic drivers. Pretty frickin' weird. 'Nuff said.

10. Not a club, but those copper bracelts that people seemed to like in the late 1990s.

11. The Ping "Chippo." I've seen plenty of choppers with chippers, but never a Ping chipper.

12. I agree on the Callaway shoes (and possibly gloves). No serious golfer I know of to this day uses though.

13. Not so much a flop as it is rare. The Taylor Made Burner Bubble Tour Spoon (13*) and I believe they made Titanium Bubble versions.

14. The Titleist 975 5.5 degree driver. Who the heck could hit that?

More to follow as I think back to the old days.

Some might consider them flops, but the Orlimar Trimetals and Adams Tight Lies were insanely popular where I caddied. Like 2/3 of the membership bought one in a year. The most hillarious thing was when a guy showed up with a Tight Lies knockoff. It was called, and I am 100% serious, the "Loose Truth." Get it? lol. Even funnier, the guy was a dentist, so he'd cover up the "r' with a tee and show it to another guy and call it the "Loose Tuth."[/quote]
Regarding your #13, the TM Tour Spoon is #1 in my "Golf club hall of fame." As I recall, the clubhead was actually smaller than the ball itself, but man that club was money!

[quote name='ahl3bomber ' post='2056668' date='Nov 10 2009, 02:49 PM']+1000 on the nike "unitized putters", those were pieces of JUNK...
:lol::lol:[/quote]

I personally game, and quite like, a Unitized putter. I wouldn't pay the $200+ asking price they were originally, but I'm happy with it.

Of course, I did use a C4 back in the day so maybe I just like the ugly ducklings :D

[quote name='jaskanski' post='2056190' date='Nov 10 2009, 12:48 PM']...or the Top Flite Aero? Weird teardrop shaped dimples. Or Bullet balls? the .444? The balata ball was actually quite good.[/quote]

I actually liked those. When they discontinued them I bought like 10 dozen for $10 each.

Speaking of flop balls, I never understood the Top Flite Magna balls. Slightly larger than standard to supposedly reduce hooks and slices.

Ping golf balls, any model, probably qualify as a flop.

Cobra Golf Balls....absolutely a flop

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

Callaway C4, Titleist Starship, Wilson Killer Whale, Wilson (that flying saucer head driver),

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Oh im gonna add some more, the HAMMER driver that was advertised on the Golf channel. the blonde man who supposedly hits monster drives advertises it. Im pretty sure his handicap cant be measured. Also, anything taylormade made before the r9 serious had some mediocre things. For one, the R7 drivers all came with the cheapo shafts, even the woods did too. Pretty bad. Others:The R7 irons, they didnt even come with Dynamic golds, pretty mediocre.

[quote name='Tighthead' post='2059590' date='Nov 11 2009, 11:55 PM']I played with a guy in the spring who was bagging a well used set of KNOCK OFF VAS irons.

I didn't know whether to pity or respect him.

[b]Did Azinger win his PGA with Head irons?[/b][/quote]

When I think of Azinger, I think of a visor he wore advertisizing [b]Hurricane[/b] clubs , or something like that.

[he may have won his PGA with Head irons, I just do not remember it .]

zinger won with head irons, corey pavin won the US open at shinecock with VAS irons and woods. never forget that 4 wood he hit to win the tournament

someone has mentioned sonartec, you obviously never owned one. some of the best fairways ever made. i dont have a count but dozens of PGA tour players were playing those and putting other manufacturer's headcovers over them.

how about the killer bee with the "bull - whip - shaft?"

PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Timuquana Country Club
Team Titleist Staff Member

[b]Callaway C4[/b]- My wife's first driver. We paid $50 brand new for it!

[b]Taylor Made Burner Driver[/b]- Not the original or the later. This one came out about the time that the 300 series drivers were on the market. It went straight to Sams Club. I never saw it anywhere else, and couldn't find any information on it. There was no mention of it anywhere on TM's website or anywhere else on the web for that matter. The 500 series drivers came out shortly after. A mystery TM driver that was only sold at Sams Club has to be considered a monumental flop!

I remember Arnold Palmer pushing some sort of gripless shaft during the mid-90's.

I also see Cameron's Kombi putter becoming a flop

Callaway Mavrik driver

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 4-wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
Bettinardi BB25 putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

Taylor Made Burner Driver- Not the original or the later. This one came out about the time that the 300 series drivers were on the market. It went straight to Sams Club. I never saw it anywhere else, and couldn't find any information on it. There was no mention of it anywhere on TM's website or anywhere else on the web for that matter. The 500 series drivers came out shortly after. A mystery TM driver that was only sold at Sams Club has to be considered a monumental flop!

This was the Burner 420, which was actually 405cc (why is it called 420 then???). I saw it at Sams for about $100. At one point they were bundled with a retro raylor. When these were all gone, they were all replaced by...wait for it...The Hammer! Yes, Sam's had The Hammer(tm) for $99.

[quote name='Nystagmus' post='2060540' date='Nov 12 2009, 02:32 PM']Man.....I'm glad I didn't buy a Diablo !!!! I'm returning to the game after about a 5 year break, and I'm glad I chose the FT-5 instead.

Never hit the Diablo, but you guys and gals sure don't care for them !!!![/quote]

i actually like the diablo driver

I played witha set of BeCu Zings for a few years and had some of my best golf days, but damn they were ugly!

Flops
Tear Drop Putter ( I used one for 18 months).
Bullet Hollow Point, the driver with a big hole in it. Then they had to put a sole plate on them so they conformed.
Oddessy wedges, remember these? Had high spin insert and yes they did spin, straight into the air and you would need a new ball everytime you hit it.
K1 driver that Sam Torrance endorses, or did. :russian_roulette:

[quote name='Richie3Jack' post='1426366' date='Jan 15 2009, 12:27 PM']Wilson Fat Shafts
Tommy Armour E.Q.L.

3JACK[/quote]

[quote name='maggot' post='1426567' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:05 PM'][quote name='arkstorm' post='1426534' date='Jan 16 2009, 07:51 AM'][quote name='drstroud' post='1426263' date='Jan 15 2009, 02:40 PM']Since the obvious have been stated, I'll throw in the TM Bubble Shaft. Yeah, it's not a "club" but the shaft does attach the "club"head! :D[/quote]

[quote name='Richie3Jack' post='1426366' date='Jan 15 2009, 03:27 PM']Wilson Fat Shafts
Tommy Armour E.Q.L.

3JACK[/quote]

Couldn't disagree more. We're talking about "flops" here which to me means items that didn't sell.

Taylormade's Bubble line sold like crazy back in the day. Also, the Fat Shaft line put Wilson back on the map in terms of golf equipment and also sold pretty well back in their day. In fact, I know plenty of people who played both.

As for chippers, they're not for everyone but the concept isn't a flop. I hear they are excellent sellers.
[/quote]

I can think of at least 25 members at my club STILL playing the Wilson Fat Shaft.

[/quote]

I and my brother are two that still play Fat Shafts. Bro has the original fat shaft that have "Wilson Staff" on them. I bought the next generation which was the "Deep Red" line which was also very popular. Went with the Wilson's because the were $200 cheaper than the closest competitor and felt indestructible. I still play them and they still preform awesome and I have demoed many many newer clubs that just didn't justify a $500 investment. The woods, however, were out of the bag the next year.