2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

I've written this every 20 pages or so on this thread; we're now on page 63, so it's about time to tell this story again.

I get to play quite a bit with an LPGA pro (first full year on Tour) when she's in town; good player who has made 3 of 5 cuts so far this year, and a great kid. A friend who is also a single digit index and I play a stroke play match against her with our better ball. We each give her $20 on the first tee, and she keeps the money if she beats us, we get it back if we win. Both of us, btw, play a fair amount of tournament golf.

I'll repeat that in case you weren't reading carefully: two single digit men playing their better ball against an LPGA player...

We have gotten our money back exactly twice in approx. 25 rounds. Twice.

So guess how many times either one of us would have beaten her if we were playing our own ball?

Those of you that think that a 4 index guy could beat an LPGA pro just have dead zero idea how good LPGA pros really are.

We do know how good they are. They are about +1-2 men's caps. Would get annihilated by every college D1 starter, the best 16 year old kids, and every pro male golfer who makes any kind of a living. Doesn't mean they aren't great, but don't see the point in turning these middling lpga players into 2000 Tiger. They are good, very good, but would get absolutely annihilated by any high ranked male amateur, as well as all pros, as well as all the top kids 16 and up.

And the other side gets carried away as well. There are D1 starters averaging over 75-76. Yes at a longer yardage. But the women is most certainly not getting "annihilated" by "every". As you stated the ladies are about +1 to +2. Which is why a 4 has little or no chance. But another +1 to +2 is not going to destroy them every time out.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I've written this every 20 pages or so on this thread; we're now on page 63, so it's about time to tell this story again.

I get to play quite a bit with an LPGA pro (first full year on Tour) when she's in town; good player who has made 3 of 5 cuts so far this year, and a great kid. A friend who is also a single digit index and I play a stroke play match against her with our better ball. We each give her $20 on the first tee, and she keeps the money if she beats us, we get it back if we win. Both of us, btw, play a fair amount of tournament golf.

I'll repeat that in case you weren't reading carefully: two single digit men playing their better ball against an LPGA player...

So guess how many times either one of us would have beaten her if we were playing our own ball?

Those of you that think that a 4 index guy could beat an LPGA pro just have dead zero idea how good LPGA pros really are.

We do know how good they are. They are about +1-2 men's caps. Would get annihilated by every college D1 starter, the best 16 year old kids, and every pro male golfer who makes any kind of a living. Doesn't mean they aren't great, but don't see the point in turning these middling lpga players into 2000 Tiger. They are good, very good, but would get absolutely annihilated by any high ranked male amateur, as well as all pros, as well as all the top kids 16 and up.

I agree except for the hyperbole. But it sounds like you're upset that enough deference is not being paid to male amateur golfers, whether they're 16 y/o top kids or the annihilators of D1 male golf programs. No need to be, I think almost all on this thread would mostly agree with you. But your post as a response to the post about experience as a single digit male handicapper (they didn't give their handicaps and there is a HUGE range between a 9 and a 1, both "single digits") isn't on point. Nope, I'm not the decorum monitor for this thread or I wouldn't have time to do anything else in my life, but don't you think your posts should be relevant? After all, this is a thread, loose as it is, about 4 handicap male golfers vs. LPGA tour players. What do you think?

I don't think I wrote anything about "+1-2 men's caps, college D1 starters, the best 16 year old kids, every pro male golfer who makes any kind of a living, high ranked male amateurs, or 2000 Tiger".

Of course, the reason that I didn't write anything about any of those was because that wasn't the question at hand, and all of those players are far, far better than a 4 index, I think you would agree. And I'll go one step farther; the LPGA pro would fare better against any of the red herrings you threw in than the 4 index. Just fwiw...

I don't think I wrote anything about "+1-2 men's caps, college D1 starters, the best 16 year old kids, every pro male golfer who makes any kind of a living, high ranked male amateurs, or 2000 Tiger".

Of course, the reason that I didn't write anything about any of those was because that wasn't the question at hand, and all of those players are far, far better than a 4 index, I think you would agree. And I'll go one step farther; the LPGA pro would fare better against any of the red herrings you threw in than the 4 index. Just fwiw...

Good point Bdot. Guess that answers the question about the 4 and the lady. Now we need to start a thread about the lady versus "any" D1 starter.

Data exists already to answer this question. Look at US AM, Mid AM, Publinx Qualifiers with fields including college players well under 4 Handicaps. What is the average score of the qualifier field relative to the course rating. Do the same math with LPGA. I think you will find your answer. The average score of a field of elite amateurs might surprise you. (Not in a good way)

Data exists already to answer this question. Look at US AM, Mid AM, Publinx Qualifiers with fields including college players well under 4 Handicaps. What is the average score of the qualifier field relative to the course rating. Do the same math with LPGA. I think you will find your answer. The average score of a field of elite amateurs might surprise you. (Not in a good way)

Elite ams would not surprise me at all. They would beat the lady most of the time. My only contention from bph was the "all D1 starters" would kick a**.

Wait, this thread is about a 4 handicap MAN playing a WOMAN pro? Haha - is this serious? The 4 handicap man is going to hit it like 290, or a good 70 yards past the woman pro. The only reason the LPGA players can even get it under par is because their courses are like 5,000 yards long. 4 handicap men average around 72.18 or better from 6,500, but who knows how low they'd go if they played those hokey LPGA courses.

Wait, this thread is about a 4 handicap MAN playing a WOMAN pro? Haha - is this serious? The 4 handicap man is going to hit it like 290, or a good 70 yards past the woman pro. The only reason the LPGA players can even get it under par is because their courses are like 5,000 yards long. 4 handicap men average around 72.18 or better from 6,500, but who knows how low they'd go if they played those hokey LPGA courses.

Are you serious?? A 4 handicap man averages 72.18 from 6500?? This guy would be a plus handicapper.

And LPGA courses are not 5000 yards. They are around 6400.

Are you serious?? A 4 handicap man averages 72.18 from 6500?? This guy would be a plus handicapper.

Hey man, whatever it takes to help you sleep at night.

This is documentary stuff here. 60 Minutes, 20/20 will be all over it.

I have a feeling dap is a robot becoming self aware, but hasn't learned sarcasm yet.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I have a feeling dap is a robot becoming self aware, but hasn't learned sarcasm yet.

LOL you might be right! I'm only programmed to detect sarcasm by facial expressions and tone of voice.

Bluedot,

How often would you estimate that you beat a scratch player heads up? or a +1?

this thread is the epitome of perpetual motion

I just saw something that the PGA of America is doing a Senior LPGA event in French Lick, Indiana this year.

So of course this begs the question... can a 4 beat one of the senior Pros? The Michelle McGanns, the Julie Inksters of the world...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding....

I would bet the 4 Handicapper would lose to Julie Inkster more than half the time.

Change "half" to "all" and you will be much closer to correct.

She's played in 4 events, and made the cut in each. It hasn't been a great season, with 24T being her best finish. She does have rounds of 79, 76, and 75, so I guess there is a glimmer of hope for the 4 HC. However, given that her scoring average is 71.44, the glimmer is pretty weak.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I would bet the 4 Handicapper would lose to Julie Inkster more than half the time.

She's played in 4 events, and made the cut in each. It hasn't been a great season, with 24T being her best finish. She does have rounds of 79, 76, and 75, so I guess there is a glimmer of hope for the 4 HC. However, given that her scoring average is 71.44, the glimmer is pretty weak.

and the 4's average is about 7 higher than that-in sh**s and giggles rounds.

Yeah, but remember that the 4 gets totally serious in competition. He has the eye of the tiger. Eats rusty nails for breakfast.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

People seem to be rubbishing male 4 handicappers but a genuine 4 is usually a relatively long hitter and longer than the average LPGA player. He is also capable of shooting par and maybe once in a blue moon under par. A low ranked LPGA player is low ranked usually because she shoots a lot more over par rounds than a high ranked player. Based on this a 4 handicapper has a chance to beat a low ranked LPGA player albeit maybe once every 30 rounds( wild guess). I'm sure a maths guy could do the stats and get a more accurate prediction.

Nobody disputes the 4's "average" round is going to be a lot higher. That's a given. It also has nothing to do with the topic.

You shot 69 off a six. You think that wouldn't have beaten 1 single player. Granted, if you played 100 (or 50, which I think is a better number), she wins the vast majority of the remaining ones, but that one round.......

There just needs to be more criteria on the type of competition for this to be more viable. It's too general. People like me can always fall back on that one round "catch lightening in a bottle" scenario?

People seem to be rubbishing male 4 handicappers but a genuine 4 is usually a relatively long hitter and longer than the average LPGA player. He is also capable of shooting par and maybe once in a blue moon under par. A low ranked LPGA player is low ranked usually because she shoots a lot more over par rounds than a high ranked player. Based on this a 4 handicapper has a chance to beat a low ranked LPGA player albeit maybe once every 30 rounds( wild guess). I'm sure a maths guy could do the stats and get a more accurate prediction.

I guess if you keep repeating something often enough people will begin to believe it. Why is a 4 a long hitter? By definition, a scratch golfer averages 250 off the tee. A 4 could very easily be shorter than 250.

Nobody disputes the 4's "average" round is going to be a lot higher. That's a given. It also has nothing to do with the topic.

You shot 69 off a six. You think that wouldn't have beaten 1 single player. Granted, if you played 100 (or 50, which I think is a better number), she wins the vast majority of the remaining ones, but that one round.......

There just needs to be more criteria on the type of competition for this to be more viable. It's too general. People like me can always fall back on that one round "catch lightening in a bottle" scenario

Yeah. For example, Julie Inkster could fall into a sinkhole mid-round, never to be seen again. If the 4 presses on and finishes his 85, that darn sure beats Julie's DNF. Great discussion topic. Honestly.

I guess if you keep repeating something often enough people will begin to believe it. Why is a 4 a long hitter? By definition, a scratch golfer averages 250 off the tee. A 4 could very easily be shorter than 250.

I didn't say all 4's are long hitters but I they aren't going to be short knockers either. I'm saying this relative to LPGA players, not PGA. Genuine 4's are capable of shooting par and you won't be able to do that averaging 210 on a 6500 yard course.

250 yards is just a definition of a scratch player. The vast majority of scratch players are going to be longer than 250.

People who play to 4s in tournament conditions are usually scratch outside of tournament conditions. I'm basing this on having played in a bunch of tournaments, both as a 4 and a scratch and all the stops in between, with lots of other players with handicaps in the range of scratch (or better) to 4. When real 4s play real tournaments, they have trouble breaking 80. And all of the scores cited for the LPGA players are tournament scores, with the ability to pay their house payment riding on the line.

People who play to 4s in tournament conditions are usually scratch outside of tournament conditions. I'm basing this on having played in a bunch of tournaments, both as a 4 and a scratch and all the stops in between, with lots of other players with handicaps in the range of scratch (or better) to 4. When real 4s play real tournaments, they have trouble breaking 80. And all of the scores cited for the LPGA players are tournament scores, with the ability to pay their house payment riding on the line.

No one has ever said a 4 is as good as a low ranked LPGA but he does have the potential to beat her if he plays to his potential and she has an off day. If you look at the leaderboard at an LPGA tournament you might see a few 80's thrown in there. They are human too.