2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

What kind of golf courses do you like?

What kind of golf courses do you like the most ? There a few kinds:

- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides. There aren't many water hazard and bunkers on this kind of golf courses. The hardest hole is dogleg holes.

- Golf courses with lots of water hazards. Ponds everywhere. There are water on the side of the fairways. Island green.

- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean. Pebble beach courses alike.

- Golf courses on the mountains. There are so many uneven lies on the fairway. The green can be higher than the fairway.

- Other kind.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of courses with a variety of holes.....i can't stand courses where every par 4 is straight or roughly the same length.....or where every par 5 is short or stupid long.....or every hole is a dog leg left....etc etc etc....

Give me a course that shows some thought has been put in it.....dog legs either way....short par 4s where i can score and long par 4s where i gotta buckle down and get it done....some holes where it's tight and no room to bail some where you swing away.....par 5s you can reach and some where you stand on the tee and go "well this is gonna be a long hole".....long story longer, i like courses where i can differentiate between the holes and have fun in different ways throughout my round....

A decent price doesn't hurt either.....:tongue:

My preference are well designed, well maintained courses that are free to play but still empty...

I joke... although I did get to live that dream once... my dad's company had a membership at Crown Colony in Lufkin, Texas... I played out there one hot summer day in 3 hours and didn't see anyone else (and my dad paid the bill)

Really, I like courses that use the natural terrain well, and are challenging but fair...

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Any type as long as it's well manicured and where the architect spent a good deal of time on the design of the green and approach shot. Bunkers are well taken care of, natural and are strategically placed. I like courses where it's clear the the architect thought a lot about the course. (i.e. Non-cookie-cutter).

Pinehurst #2 is a good example.

There's no substitute for ocean views on as many holes as you can get. It's just beautiful. So set that aside, a course either has ocean views or it don't.

Otherwise, I like interesting greens complexes (not just the putting surface shape and contours but the surroundings within 10-20 yards of the greens) and I like bold, naturalistic shaping of the tee-to-green portions of the course. Ideally, I like relatively few trees or if there are trees I like openings where you can appreciate the interesting shaping of additional holes to the one you're playing at the moment.

But the #1 thing I like is a course that drains well. Let me walk on firm, dry turf from which I can hit crisp iron and wedge shots and I'm happy pretty much no matter what kind of course it is otherwise.

tree lined and narrow. keep the ball in the fairway and you get rewarded. miss left or right and you got to get creative to score. never been a fan of having a ton of water present, I haven't played too many courses with a lot of water. but nothing matches those ocean/body of water views you can get while on the course.

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1335531680' post='4799452']
My preference are well designed, well maintained courses that are free to play but still empty...

I joke... although I did get to live that dream once... my dad's company had a membership at Crown Colony in Lufkin, Texas... I played out there one hot summer day in 3 hours and didn't see anyone else (and my dad paid the bill)

Really, I like courses that use the natural terrain well, and are challenging but fair...
[/quote]

"free to play but still empty" THIS. I actually paid only $10 to play in a Tournament. Although it's NOT empty but the place is not packed either. Only 40 people participated in the Tournament to play in the whole course until noon. Plus there is a free lunch after the round. Sounds sweet isn't it???

Links courses. I could play Bandon Dunes or Chambers Bay all day/week/year/life. I'm dreaming about going to Ireland this August.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

I love wooded courses, with elevation changes.

I enjoy FL courses, or courses in wetland areas, with a lot of forced carries and decisions to make based on hazards

I HATE HATE HATE HATE houses on courses that are reasonably in play.. in fact only in the last year have I even been able to get over it and play on courses with houses, for some reason the thought of hitting a house is crippling to my golf swing

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

Northern Michigan golf courses in September. TALL tree lined fairways on both side, clearly trees planted many years ago, some in perfect rows, others obviously naturally occuring, sprinkle in some big elevation changes, and challenging greens, and I'm all in.

Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Titleist ProV1x (2017)

I like mostly old, traditional courses. Dog-legs both directions, the necessity to hit almost every club in the bag during the course of the round. I also like courses that have holes that I truly remember. Even better if there is a story behind them.

I'm not a real big fan of most modern golf courses. I'm played probably 25 different Fazio courses and maybe just a few less Dye/Palmer/Nicklaus courses and they all seem almost identical to me with the only difference being how much money the developer had to spend and the terrain given. Though they design some great holes, I just find it somewhat disappointing to find that same "great" hole in Texas, South Carolina, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, and California.

That said, I mainly like courses that make you think and have a decent amount of risk/reward. I'll give credit to the guys above that the do provide that. And it's obvious I don't really dislike their courses or I wouldn't have played so many of them. I just tend to prefer the old guys like Maxwell, Ross, RT Jones (not the younger), Tillinghast, Mackenzie, etc.

I have always been a sucker for holes with elevation changes. Also I like courses with green complexes that have enough undulation to reward creativity but aren't so up and down that putting is a lottery. Not too big a fan of water on most holes, especially when it comes in to play in a lay up area on a par 5. That and a well manicured course, firm fairways, smooth greens... yep that should work.

I grew up playing city municipal courses. They had very small greens and lots of trees. I still enjoy that type, but now prefer links style courses which allow you to play a number of different shots.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I like courses I can walk without having to traverse great distances to the next tee. I like courses that don't have a lot of ambient noises, like traffic, construction, leaf blowers, horns, etc...just the wind or birds, quiet and serene. I like courses that don't always look to punish, but offer an option besides hitting a perfect shot. Consistent speed on the greens. Bunkers that have proper sand, not rocks. Lastly, I hate slanted tee boxes. You'd be surprised how often I find tee boxes that have a decided tilt. Slow play is also the other issue, but that's the starters not the course.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

There are many features of courses I like, but one that always stands out when a play a course with it. I like tree lined courses, that are not woods lined. Being able to find your ball and have a shot (even if it's a punch out) is a big plus for me over a needle in the haystack woods search. I really like and appreciate course where the underbrush is all cleared.

Ocean views are awesome but putting is ungodly frustrating.

I like a course that has variety and interesting elements but stays away from gimmicks. I like a course where I can see where my tee shot goes. I like a course with well-manicured rough, bunkers, teeboxes, and fairways to go along with well-manicured greens. I like a course that lets me hit a driver off of every tee but punishes me if I hit it astray.

I don't like a course that requires me to hit a 5iron from the tee on a par 5. I don't like a course that forces me to hit a draw and then run a hundred yards to the right of the teebox to see where it landed. I don't like a course where the fairways are 50% weeds and the rough is 50% bare dirt.

As far as general layouts? I'm a big fan of the faux-links courses. The kind that's littered with strategically-placed bunkers, but also isn't short on water or trees. I tend to shoot stupid-high at them, but they're easily the most fun for me.

[quote name='Ranger Rick' timestamp='1335541814' post='4800522']
I have always been a sucker for holes with elevation changes. Also I like courses with green complexes that have enough undulation to reward creativity but aren't so up and down that putting is a lottery. Not too big a fan of water on most holes, especially when it comes in to play in a lay up area on a par 5. That and a well manicured course, firm fairways, smooth greens... yep that should work.
[/quote]

Thats what I like too. Plus I really like it when the trees are trimmed high enough that you can get under them to at least advance your ball. I hate trying to wedge yourself into a low hanging pine tree so you can punch your ball back into play.

Courses with a ton of elevation change and yardages marked poorly, not fun playing those for the first time.

Also, courses where I don't know where the next tee box is, so many courses need signs.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

[quote name='MichiganMike' timestamp='1335545870' post='4801004']
There are many features of courses I like, but one that always stands out when a play a course with it. I like tree lined courses, that are not woods lined. Being able to find your ball and have a shot (even if it's a punch out) is a big plus for me over a needle in the haystack woods search. I really like and appreciate course where the underbrush is all cleared.
[/quote]

Agree with this. Also surprised no one mentioned super long par 3's. One over 210 is ok, but mix in a wedge par 3 over water or something.

[quote name='rkangrah' timestamp='1335530475' post='4799344']
- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides.
- Golf courses with lots of water hazards.
- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean.
- Golf courses on the mountains.
- Other kind.
[/quote]

The "kind" of golf course I like is more dependent on the design and little to do with its location.

I like courses with the following features:
- Offer a variety of hole configurations that sequence themselves in a manner that is not repetitive and encourages the use of different types of shots. (varied lengths, elevation changes, shapes, wind direction, etc)
- Blends into the surrounding and makes use of the natural terrain and features of the site.
- Designs that invoke thought and allow options and alternatives for playing the hole. Hazards that are strategic in nature rather than purely penal. Challenging for the good golfer but playable for those with average skills.
- Firm and fast conditioning that allow the ball to bounce and use the ground to direct the ball toward the hole.
- A core routing is preferred that is walking friendly.

I dislike courses that are:
- Repetitive in nature, lots of holes with similar configurations or lengths where one hits the same shots.
- Courses that seem forced onto the land with shapes mostly created by a bulldozer.
- Designs that force a singular shot or style of play. No strategy is requried, just "hit this shot or pay the price." "Do or Die" types of shots. Playing corridors narrowed by trees, high rough or parallel hazards. Overuse of water. Island greens.
- Soft, lush conditions that that dictate a linear, point-to-point aerial game.
- Cart-ball Real estate routings where the course is surrounded by houses and OB and have long distances between greens and tees that make them difficult to walk.

The best golf courses are [b]fun to play[/b] and make you want to walk right back to the 1st tee after you finished the 18th.

The "kind" of course I like for the most part reflects "links" values, but can be found in the parkland, prairie, lowland, mountain or oceanside setting. All a matter of design.

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1335566545' post='4802742']
[quote name='rkangrah' timestamp='1335530475' post='4799344']
- Golf courses with a lot of woods on the sides.
- Golf courses with lots of water hazards.
- Golf Courses on the side of the ocean.
- Golf courses on the mountains.
- Other kind.
[/quote]

The "kind" of golf course I like is more dependent on the design and little to do with its location.

I like courses with the following features:
- Offer a variety of hole configurations that sequence themselves in a manner that is not repetitive and encourages the use of different types of shots. (varied lengths, elevation changes, shapes, wind direction, etc)
- Blends into the surrounding and makes use of the natural terrain and features of the site.
- Designs that invoke thought and allow options and alternatives for playing the hole. Hazards that are strategic in nature rather than purely penal. Challenging for the good golfer but playable for those with average skills.
- Firm and fast conditioning that allow the ball to bounce and use the ground to direct the ball toward the hole.
- A core routing is preferred that is walking friendly.

I dislike courses that are:
- Repetitive in nature, lots of holes with similar configurations or lengths where one hits the same shots.
- Courses that seem forced onto the land with shapes mostly created by a bulldozer.
- Designs that force a singular shot or style of play. No strategy is requried, just "hit this shot or pay the price." "Do or Die" types of shots. Playing corridors narrowed by trees, high rough or parallel hazards. Overuse of water. Island greens.
- Soft, lush conditions that that dictate a linear, point-to-point aerial game.
- Cart-ball Real estate routings where the course is surrounded by houses and OB and have long distances between greens and tees that make them difficult to walk.

The best golf courses are [b]fun to play[/b] and make you want to walk right back to the 1st tee after you finished the 18th.

The "kind" of course I like for the most part reflects "links" values, but can be found in the parkland, prairie, lowland, mountain or oceanside setting. All a matter of design.
[/quote]
What teejaywhy said.
The only thing I would add would be wind. For me wind is an integral part of the game and the additional mental challenge the wind creates is an important element to me enjoying the round.

JP forgot to mention his absolutely favorite type of golf course - country clubs that are free to Jack Pearsall!

Hey Billy Gates (I know you read this forum) -- let's go do Augusta!!!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I like courses that have lots of water. It could be lakes or ocean. If I had to pick one or the other it would be ocean courses for the views.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]