2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

QMany

Well, the sun finally came out, and I took advantage. First, I ran to the range to bang a small bucket. I was starting to get the itch and needed my fix of hitting balls.

First, the swing. I worked a little bit on speeding my arm swing up. I was hitting it really well, I was impressed. I'd occasionally stall the pivot and go left, but it was rare. Ball flight was pretty darn straight.

I worked my way up the bag and had to chance to finally try the A12 Pro/Thump combo (courtesy of Tembolo). Man, that shaft is smoooooooooth. I found it to be mid/mid flight. I was hitting it really well. I look forward to on the course testing and figuring out my new distance gaps on that end of the bag.

After the sun went down, I hurried to my club builder's shop. They do some great work (Top 100). I got all of my woods and hybrids specifications. Found out my 3W with 7M3 X was playing very weak to flex. I wonder if it wasn't tipped, as recommended for fairway woods, before tip install. I knew I wanted to play my 3W at 42.5" so I tipped the 7M3 X 1 inch. It came in at D4. Then, they installed a tip on my new VS Proto 80 X, also playing at 42.5" and D5. Dope Yellow iOmic Sticky just for fun.

We got a 3W shootout on our hands, folks!

3_W_Shootout.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

We got a 60* day here in Kansas City, and the snow is melting!

I'm heading to the range. I'm looking forward to getting a little video of the swing to see what I'm starting the season off with. Also, I want to test the 7M3 and VS Proto head-to-head.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1392750934' post='8695369']

I'm heading to the range. I'm looking forward to getting a little video of the swing to see what I'm starting the season off with. Also, I want to test the 7M3 and VS Proto head-to-head.
[/quote]

Hit em well! Lets know how it works out.

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1392750934' post='8695369']

[/quote]

Head out to OK Joe's!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Beautiful weather here! Had the opportunity to get some good video and work through the bag.

7i:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za7c4JdcSSc&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Driver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExiCQqQitM8&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Taylormade TP5

I'm pleasantly surprised how my swing looks to start the season. I hit the ball pretty well (save for a few squirrelly ones). As much as I hate it, the Faldo drill has helped me immensely. Poulter talks about it on his [i]Playing Lessons with the Pros[/i], and says he hits the ball so much better with it but can't bring himself to use it in competition. I'm the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffZChz9Xlk&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Finally, the 7M3 is gone. VS Proto will be in the bag!

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1392761530' post='8696713']
I'm pleasantly surprised how my swing looks to start the season. I hit the ball pretty well (save for a few squirrelly ones). As much as I hate it, the Faldo drill has helped me immensely. Poulter talks about it on his [i]Playing Lessons with the Pros[/i], and says he hits the ball so much better with it but can't bring himself to use it in competition. I'm the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffZChz9Xlk&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Finally, the 7M3 is gone. VS Proto will be in the bag!
[/quote]

I found that interesting when he said that. But
Then when holly pressed him about it winning him his first major he said he would have to think about it.

Swing looks good!

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1392755793' post='8695969']
Head out to OK Joe's!
[/quote]
Arthur Bryant's is the bees-knees.

Taylormade TP5

Looking Good Brother! What is the thought process behind the Faldo drill?

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

Pretty dang solid base to work with. What are the plans, working with lv, heading to Jax, working on it solo? What are you working on and where are you wanting to get to? For me, the journey is the most fun part. I think that is one thing Tiger does, gets bored with a swing and wants to try to improve it, he is a perfectionist.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1392777932' post='8698785']
Pretty dang solid base to work with. What are the plans, working with lv, heading to Jax, working on it solo?
[/quote]
A little bit of all of the above. I would like to make another road trip down to Jacksonville to see Dan again, if possible. In the meantime, Dan is very generous with his time. I will shoot him videos of my swing through text every few weeks to see what he thinks. Lv_2_hack and I are really good friends. I'll shoot him a video often just to check to make sure I'm progressing. It is nice since he works with Dan and knows what I'm trying to do.

What are you working on and where are you wanting to get to?
[/quote]
I have been concentrating on my arm swing, specifically speeding it up. I would often get too deep and my arms would be along for the ride, dragging through the zone. I still think I need to get a little flatter wrist/closed clubface at the top. It can get open and I have to dump angles at the bottom to get back to square.

For me, the journey is the most fun part. I think that is one thing Tiger does, gets bored with a swing and wants to try to improve it, he is a perfectionist.
[/quote]
I'm the same way. I love to grind on the range and putting green. I was the same way playing basketball, I loved to spend 2 hours in the gym at night when no one was there. However, I am much more comfortable on the basketball court. My first tournament experiences last summer were eye-opening (and addicting). I want to get more comfortable in those moments.

Taylormade TP5

That is some good stuff right there. Lv seems to understand what Dan thinks and means better than anyone so it is always good to have him in your corner. I like to PM him too occasionally and he always seems to understand what Dan is wanting to see.

I am like you, love to spend time trying to learn something new and get better. I am hoping my 12 year old will develop some of that soon, but people either have that drive or do not. It seems most do not, especially these days. I do not see any of the kids around here that like to spend two hours in the gym by themselves. It just does not register with me. The way my mind works, if you love something you love it and you want to do it all of the time and become the best at it. I will not play something unless I am going to try to become as good as I can. Darts, bad mitton, bowling, whatever, I can;t stand being mediocre. But todays kids seem to be fine with everyone getting a participation trophy. I am hoping mine eventually finds something he loves and has the desire to become the best at it.

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='dikaia22' timestamp='1392777586' post='8698725']
Looking Good Brother! What is the thought process behind the Faldo drill?
[/quote]
Thanks, buddy.

I will let the man, the myth, the legend explain it:

[quote name='slicefixer' timestamp='1222136698' post='1266879']
It's called the "Faldo drill" because I coined it and called it such on this site......I'm SURE Leadbetter was who showed Faldo the drill, although i don't know this for certain......Nick Price also specifically listed this drill as also being tremendously helpful to him when he was remaking his golf swing (also with Leadetter's help).......anyway, I named it this because I first saw this drill when Faldo was performing it on the driving range @ the 87' Open Championship, which incidently, he won 6 days later........it's a great drill because (if performed properly) once the club/arms are "set" in front of the chest all the player has to do is "turn back and then turn through".......if it's performed properly the club is fully set with the arms beautifullly positioned to the core and the face/shaft are on plane (and the plane will naturally adjust due to the player standing closer to the ball for the irons vs. further/"taller" for the woods/long stuff).....then it's up to the pivot to provide the "energy" and the arms/club do nothing but REACT........and yes, you can do it with any club in the bag.......all of "my" good players/swingers can PLAY the game using this drill and normally hit it just as good and, in some cases, better than with their normal golf swing........supposedly the drill was originated by John Geertsen who was Johnny Miller's and Mike Reid's teacher when they were kid's.......I've also heard it said by more than one that someday a kid is going to learn to play this way and will beat em' all...... dunno' bout' that un', but, it is a HIGHLY effective drill for a player who has solid fundamentals (primarily grip/posture) and who knows HOW to pivot properly.......one of my all time favorites....... ;)

BTW, Anthony Kim uses a drill VERY similar to this when working on his golf swing.........just takes it back to about a 9 O'clock armswing and checks to see that the club is set and the shaft/face is on plane.......then he just continues his wind up/pivot to the top then let's it go and rips it........ ;)
[/quote]

Taylormade TP5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_p737_A_o

Looking at some old posts on here from 2008-2009 and finding some good stuff. Slice and Monte giving some good tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7MyBi2tXmg

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1392780091' post='8699127']
Nice move! No reason you should not be playing around par.

Where has Temblo been?
[/quote]
I struck the ball well enough last year to compete at my State Amateur but had 36 and 41 putts over my two rounds. That wasn't going to get it done. If I can avoid the "big miss" off the tee, I play some solid golf.

Tembolo is on involuntary vacation.

Taylormade TP5

Watching old Faldo videos makes me want to rock sleeveless cardigans over polos on the course this year :stop:

Taylormade TP5

At the request of lv_2_hack, I got some face-on video yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZfgW5u9whA&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Faldo drill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtr0yr9zBcY&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

I also got the opportunity to talk to Dan a little bit. He likes the strides I've been making. He talked me through what he wants me to work on. My arms are still behind my shoulders and pivot and just dragging along. In transition, he wants me to feel like my R shoulder stays back for a second while my arms drop and get in front of my body in a better position. It reminds me of the dump part of Monte's "Bump, Dump & Turn." I worked on the Faldo drill and was striping it. I struggled when I first started working on Dan's new feels. I started getting a hang for it and ended up hitting one of the purest and straightest 5 irons of my life. It was one of those that keeps you coming back.

My ball flight is much more penetrating and has less curve than I remember last season. I'm really excited to keep working on my game and test it in a few months at the Mid-Am and Am qualifier.

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1392930944' post='8710673']
Swing looks really good.
[/quote]
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. Been doing a lot of mirror work and little practice swings in the basement all winter. I've been really excited for the season to start and I'm excited to see what I'm starting with.

Taylormade TP5

You keep working on it and you are going to mess around and lv isn't going to give you any shots anymore. You know that right?

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1392950259' post='8712673']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1392949956' post='8712641']
You keep working on it and you are going to mess around and lv isn't going to give you any shots anymore. You know that right?
[/quote]

If ya notice, he hasn't posted any videos of his putting stroke.
[/quote]

He isn't dynaligning then is he?

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='lv_2_hack' timestamp='1392950259' post='8712673']
[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1392949956' post='8712641']
[/quote]
If ya notice, he hasn't posted any videos of his putting stroke.
[/quote]
I gave you a run for you money on some dumb Pete Dye greens at your home course ...

... but that isn't saying much.

Taylormade TP5

Tembolo has been complaining that I had not got any video hitting his hybrid (shafted with rebar). I had to appease that crazy Brazilian. Target is the big tree. About a 5 yard push and 5 yard fade with the wind. Felt really solid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKyCobspnvE&list=UUYLOEGA7IWQC8v50FpyG2ag

Taylormade TP5

Now that's a sight to behold right there. Q was complaining about his shaft being kind of dead and harsh......boardy as we say.

Good old chinese friend had this laying around and it was way too upright for me so had Q give it a whirl. It's the diamana hybrid shaft X flex tipped 1.5 inches. It's pretty stiff but the shaft is so much smoother. Has enough kick where Q doesn't feel like he has to flick anything.

Q man just keep hitting it and trust it. It won't snap left if you keep firing everything and collect the ball. That 5 yard push will turn into a 1-2 yard push and that fade will go away and just be a ball that falls left. Oh wouldn't that be nice.

240 yard high knuckle draw that lands like a feather.

Oh but to dreeeeeeeeeam.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon