Tennis elbow problem

bcs732

I've been experiencing tennis elbow for over a year already. It has been improving quite a lot lately but pain is still there after every game.

1) Recently, i've been thinking of switching to aerotech steelfibers (regular flex) from NS Pro 950 (stiff flex). My question here is why most people suggest changing iron shafts from steel to graphite to help with tennis elbow. Is tennis elbow caused mainly by iron shots?

2) Does the flex of the shaft worsen tennis elbow problems? Fyi, i'm using Taylormade TP stiff flex in all my drivers, woods and hybrids. (My irons are NS Pro 950 stiff as stated above.) Would it help if I change to regular flex shafts instead?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tennis elbow was "fixed" by switching to graphite in my irons.

I haven't had to change my wedges but will try a few different shafts and see how they go, I did use Matrix Program wedge shafts for some time, might just have to buy another set.

Get fitted by a reputable club fitter, change to graphite and don't look back!

I don't think it's a question of flex as much as it is the shock absorbing properties of graphite relative to steel. It is assumed that inherent in your decision to go graphite, is a loss of swing speed which will warrant the switch to a regular flex, if otherwise, there's no reason not to keep the same flex.

The whole idea is to dissipate the shock generated during ball strikes or ground hits before it reaches the hands. Graphite does that better than steel, but you can also use sensicore inserts in your irons which can do the same thing. I can't quantify the efficacy of either method for you though. Some people swear by the effectiveness of the sensicore approach, but most people will swear by the graphite.

Aerotech steelfibers are a hybrid graphite/steel, so I'm not sure what the shock dissipating behavior is like. I would have thought the more graphite (or chalk) content in the material composition the better though.

Callaway OptiForce 440 Diamana 62 S+
Callaway OptiForce 15* Diamana 62 S+
Callaway OptiForce 19* Diamana 62 S+
Mizuno MP33 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty GoLo
Titliest Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*

I've been battling severe Tennis elbow for 3 years. I switched to graphite 5 years ago and it definately has helped but it has not cured the problem. I've tried everything and recently underwent a arthroscopic surgery called FAST in January. I'm playing when I thought I wouldn't be this year, some pain but not bad when I'm playing, just afterwards.

The general thinking is that Tennis elbow s casued by overuse of repetive motion activities. In my case I thought it was the 50-70 hours a week I spend behind the computer. Or the 5-10 hours a week playing guitar or the 18-27 holes of golf. I cut out the guitar and cut back to 40 hours a week on the computer. I only use it at work. No help.

My therapist for my upper shoulder/back pain, caused by computer use said it is caused by my slunched forward, bad posture. We are working on it and that plus the FAST surgery has got me golfing again.

I also switched from Mizuno Tour Spec graphite iron in stiff to Aerotech 95 in regular this year and could not be happier. Straighter and longer for sure.

Done for year selling it all.

As someone that has suffered from tennis elbow for years, I found the cure about 8 months ago. It's called the Thera-Band. You can get it on Amazon for cheap and it works wonders. Use it for 3 weeks and you will be pain free.

Also, my doctor told me that tennis elbow was not cause by overuse if the tendon. He said its a ratio problem. He said when I worked out and concentrated on biceps and triceps, I neglected the forearm. He said that led to the tendon having to handle too much load from the bis/tris to the forearm and caused it to become inflamed. Now I do a lot of forearm workouts and am golden.

Tennis and golfer's elbow are two different conditions that involve different parts of the joint. Talk to a good Doc if you have tennis elbow it is not caused by the golf swing. The tennis swing and the golf swing both can cause problems but the location of the pain is different depending on the motion that causes the inflammation.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1369050848' post='7067792']
As someone that has suffered from tennis elbow for years, I found the cure about 8 months ago. It's called the Thera-Band. You can get it on Amazon for cheap and it works wonders. Use it for 3 weeks and you will be pain free.

Also, my doctor told me that tennis elbow was not cause by overuse if the tendon. He said its a ratio problem. He said when I worked out and concentrated on biceps and triceps, I neglected the forearm. He said that led to the tendon having to handle too much load from the bis/tris to the forearm and caused it to become inflamed. Now I do a lot of forearm workouts and am golden.
[/quote]

I have been battling tennis/golfers elbow for quite some time and the Thera-Band was recommended to me by at least 3 different healthcare and Exercise Fitness professionals. I'm ordering one this week.

As for the question posed by the OP, I started playing Steelfibers about 4-5 months ago, and it has been a big help. It did not make the pain go completely away, but it has definitely restricted the pain that I have from playing in a major way.

Steelfibers will take away vibration. Cured my hand arthritis issues.

For short-term of course avoid overuse and suggest you get one of the Proband Bandit or similar product whenever you play. They worked for me a few years ago when I had the problem. Matter of fact a reminder to me to wear one today as I overdid some heavy carrying on the weekend and I can feel the early twinges in the right elbow (that I remember from my tennis days should not be ignored at the onset).

[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1369040162' post='7067512']

I haven't had to change my wedges but will try a few different shafts and see how they go, I did use Matrix Program wedge shafts for some time, might just have to buy another set.

[/quote]

A buddy in my group has golfers elbow. He was told tennis elbow pain is on the outside of the elbow and golfers is on the inside. Could have it backwards. Anyway, he was playing Dynamic Golds and I put some DG sensicore shafts in to see if that would help and it did greatly.

I have battled this for years and I am a young guy....

Couple tricks I have tried:
-Never hit irons off mats....ever
-find a nice soft fluffy spot on the range if possible
-lighter grip pressure
-swing with less arms....almost feel like you are taking the club back with your back muscles this also helps grip pressure
-Advil
-Drink lots of water...mine seemed to get worse when I was dehydrated
-softer fatter grips....fatter and softer the grips are the less tension you are able to put on the club

Try em out

I have been getting golfer's elbow a little lately, too. I read somewhere that one cause may be tight forearms. I've been doing forearm stretches and it seems to help a little. Basically extend your arm, palm up, and bend your fingers backward toward your wrist with your other hand. If it feels tight along the inside of your forearm up to the inside of your elbow, maybe you would benefit from some stretching.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

[quote name='goondawg ' timestamp='1369063375' post='7068830']
[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1369040162' post='7067512']

[/quote]

A buddy in my group has golfers elbow. He was told tennis elbow pain is on the outside of the elbow and golfers is on the inside. Could have it backwards. Anyway, he was playing Dynamic Golds and I put some DG sensicore shafts in to see if that would help and it did greatly.
[/quote]

Nope, definitely Tennis elbow... I used to get it on the outside as you described it.

I had it in both elbows. I almost had to quit playing. I tried cortizone, stretching, elbow braces. Nothing worked. Made the switch to graphite and I've been pain free for 3 years.

My club has mats for about 6 months out of the year. No pain. I play on very hard Texas hardpan. No pain.

Graphite is the answer

I've had a number of doctors tell me that "whatever" elbow is a repetitive motion injury. From experience I can say taking time off (you'll find out how much you miss golf) is the best medicine in my case.
Whether it actually helps is something to which I would not testify... but as soon as I feel a twinge back on goes the copper band. I am a firm believer in the technology. :beruo:

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

I had the Tennis Elbow also a year or so ago. It was significantly painful at times. Everybody recommending shafts but I would urge you to find some liquid glucosamine. A couple tablespoons a day for about 3 weeks and the Difference was really amazing. Check it out....

-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)
-15* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 75s)
-17.5* TaylorMade R7 TP (Diamana Blue 83s)
-4-PW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)
-Ben Hogan TK15 49*(KBS Wedge)
-PING Anser 54* (DG Spinner)
-PING Gorge Tour 60* (Ping CFS)
-PING Pickemup B

i had golfer's elbow. I switched to forged irons which did help a little. I tried graphite in my irons but I lost the feel. I switched the mouse pad I used at work to get pressure off my wrist. I had PT and a device was made to prevent me from bending my elbow when I slept. What worked in getting it healed was a cold, wet winter that kept me from hitting the ball for three months along with a Celebrex each day. I simply had to give it the time it needed to heal.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='johnnythunders' timestamp='1369046556' post='7067618']
I've been battling severe Tennis elbow for 3 years. I switched to graphite 5 years ago and it definately has helped but it has not cured the problem. I've tried everything and recently underwent a arthroscopic surgery called FAST in January. I'm playing when I thought I wouldn't be this year, some pain but not bad when I'm playing, just afterwards.

The general thinking is that Tennis elbow s casued by overuse of repetive motion activities. In my case I thought it was the 50-70 hours a week I spend behind the computer. Or the 5-10 hours a week playing guitar or the 18-27 holes of golf. I cut out the guitar and cut back to 40 hours a week on the computer. I only use it at work. No help.

My therapist for my upper shoulder/back pain, caused by computer use said it is caused by my slunched forward, bad posture. We are working on it and that plus the FAST surgery has got me golfing again.

I also switched from Mizuno Tour Spec graphite iron in stiff to Aerotech 95 in regular this year and could not be happier. Straighter and longer for sure.
[/quote]

Nice to hear FAST worked for you. I've had the problem for a year, really bad for 7 months. Played one 18 hole round since November. Having another shot then FAST. Going crazy!!
To add to post, my pain is same whether I play or not. Not sure a switch in shafts would help?? For me. Would be interested to know if someone went fro X100 to graphite what shaft did you go with??

[quote name='keithrichards' timestamp='1369075650' post='7070358']
I had the Tennis Elbow also a year or so ago. It was significantly painful at times. Everybody recommending shafts but I would urge you to find some liquid glucosamine. A couple tablespoons a day for about 3 weeks and the Difference was really amazing. Check it out....
[/quote]

Glucosamine, MSM, if you work on a computer buy a high end mouse that fits your hand and a good mousepad.

All these things have helped me over the past month and my tennis elbow comes from arthritis from a rare disease I caught last year.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1369050848' post='7067792']

[/quote]
This works. Another good exercise that worked for me was this. I put a 5-pound weight on the end of a string. I attached that to the middle of a wooden dowel with rubber grips on them (old push broom for me). I then held it straight out in front of me and rolled / unrolled the weight up then down to the floor. Do this a couple of times a day and it really strengthens the muscles and helps rehab this type of injury.

[quote name='ignitewvu' timestamp='1369079597' post='7070800']
[quote name='keithrichards' timestamp='1369075650' post='7070358']
[/quote]

Glucosamine, MSM, if you work on a computer buy a high end mouse that fits your hand and a good mousepad.

All these things have helped me over the past month and my tennis elbow comes from arthritis from a rare disease I caught last year.
[/quote]
When I did alot of programming, I developed 'carpel tunnel' quite badly, switching to a 'curved' keyboard and some stretching and no more problems. A better / fitted mouse is also a great idea.

[quote name='bcs732' timestamp='1369024924' post='7067186']
I've been experiencing tennis elbow for over a year already. It has been improving quite a lot lately but pain is still there after every game.

1) Recently, i've been thinking of switching to aerotech steelfibers (regular flex) from NS Pro 950 (stiff flex). My question here is why most people suggest changing iron shafts from steel to graphite to help with tennis elbow. Is tennis elbow caused mainly by iron shots?

2) Does the flex of the shaft worsen tennis elbow problems? Fyi, i'm using Taylormade TP stiff flex in all my drivers, woods and hybrids. (My irons are NS Pro 950 stiff as stated above.) Would it help if I change to regular flex shafts instead?
[/quote]

I am a former competitive tennis player and never had tennis elbow when playing tennis, but started having problems two years ago, I went from Cleveland CG1 Tours with DGS300 to Ping G15 with AWT Stiff and I no longer have any discomfort.

I did not change wood or wood shafts.

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

In my younger days I was a tennis player. I taught tennis at a club as an assistant pro through college. I was pretty good and used wooden rackets, so it was the early 70's I played tennis righthanded and golf lefthanded. I had a good backhand and so going to golf playing lefthanded was a no-brainer. Playing tennis I never had tennis elbow. I am not a physician, but tennis elbow can start with a shock to the joint when it is in a vulnerable position or from overuse. Every club player I watched with the tennis elbow support had one basic flaw: hitting the ball by snapping their elbow at impact rather than hitting the ball with their shoulder. Plus, while their elbow was bent they hit the tennis ball on the frame very often, which causes a lot of vibration.

I developed tennis elbow in my right elbow from practicing a lot at golf at the range. I mean hours every day. I got a cortisone shot and it went away. I also work at strengthening my forearm by doing wrist curls and rollups. Think about getting a shot.

Titleist Performance Institute had a video about proper stretching, swing mechanics, etc. awhile back that addressed tennis elbow. From what I can remember they stated that if the pain, in your leading arm, is on the outside of your forearm then you flip your hands too much. I started to develop pain in that area after playing more golf than what I normally do. After watching the vid, I taped my swing, played it back and sure as s*** I was flipping my hands. Im not saying that flipping your hands too much is the total underlying cause but in my case I really worked on lagging the club and the pain diminished considerably.