SUV's, what do you have and how do you like it?

jreed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about smaller SUV's? Size comparable to a Honda CRV and Ford Escape. My mom is in the market, thinking 2012 to new. Safety, reliability, easy of use, and storage are the main factors. This car will go to my sister when she graduates college in a year, so while we are looking to purchase something affordable, we want it to be long term affordable as well. I was in sales for Ford from 05-08, and thought the Escape was a decent SUV, nothing crazy but a B rating overall. We also have had success with a Honda CRV (still kicking with minor issues, give it a solid A). A lot has changed since I was in the industry and I am just starting to research again. What would you recommend in today's small SUV market for a vehicle that will need to last 7-10 years?

just helped my parents get a 2013 Explorer. Mom's coming from an 02' Sebring and needed something bigger and more reliable for my nieces. solid SUV and a great price. looks clean also.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Anyone have experience with the Hyundia Santa Fe? My GF has a base model and the clothe seats are very comfortable, rides real nice. As my kids are getting bigger I "might" need to consider getting one. I do NOT want a large size one.

Also looking at the Murano as well.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

[quote name='itchyfinger' timestamp='1386171785' post='8247137']
We have a 2010 Ford Flex Limited with Ecoboost. It's stupid fast. AWD and love the captain chairs in the second row. Lots of room for the family....oh and it's stupid fast.
[/quote]

how fast again? :taunt:

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

[quote name='padget' timestamp='1386021962' post='8238644']
How about smaller SUV's? Size comparable to a Honda CRV and Ford Escape. My mom is in the market, thinking 2012 to new. Safety, reliability, easy of use, and storage are the main factors. This car will go to my sister when she graduates college in a year, so while we are looking to purchase something affordable, we want it to be long term affordable as well. I was in sales for Ford from 05-08, and thought the Escape was a decent SUV, nothing crazy but a B rating overall. We also have had success with a Honda CRV (still kicking with minor issues, give it a solid A). A lot has changed since I was in the industry and I am just starting to research again. What would you recommend in today's small SUV market for a vehicle that will need to last 7-10 years?
[/quote]It comes down to what you're looking for OUT of your SUV/CUV. Subaru is a tough company to beat right now for quality, safetly and longevety. Subaru Crosstrek or Forester. You haven't met a stupid fast SUV until you've been in that Cherokee SRT8. (Or a Forester XT... which is a turbo 4).

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Volvo XC60... very reliable... very safe with great all wheel drive system that is full time all wheel drive and distributes power as required electronically... under normal conditions it is 95% front, 5% back. No extra parts like a clutch plate, etc. Also the T6 has 300 horse and over 300 ft pounds of torque. Power without over revving the thing. I have a 2012 model and i have zero complaints and for a lot of years i was a GM guy.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and my wife has a Honda Element. Both run solid and have no issues at all.

Callaway RAZR Fit/10.5*/Aldila NV 65 S
Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme/Alidia Triniy S
Callaway 3Hy Diablo/Fuji Fit on E370 S
Ping 4Hy i15/Axivcore Tour Red S
RAZR X Forged 5-PW/ Project X Rifle 6.0
Wedges Callaway X Tour/ 52*, 56*, 60*
WITB Link

[quote name='jdubbs' timestamp='1386211272' post='8250403']
Yeah, Ford Flex What??

I wanted Really Stupid Fast :) , thats why i got the new Jeep SRT :)
[/quote]

I thought crazy fast was the next step up. Thanks for Clarifying!

I loved the 3.5L ecoboost in the flex. My F-150 has it also. It hauls the flex with authority. With the AWD it just keeps pulling and pulling. It has embarrassed more than a few from a stop light.

I tested the SRT, that thing was scary.....No way I was putting my wife behind the wheel of that thing.

I'm curious. I see fast mentioned quite a bit in these threads. Admittedly I'm old (and cranky, but that's beside the pint), but what is the infatuation with fast. If it runs 80 down the interstate is that not enough. I hope this isn't coming off sounding condescending or anything like that because I am seriously curious, ifyou do have a fast car, when and where do you take advantage of that? Do you accrue numerous speeding tickets?

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1386259586' post='8252567']
I'm curious. I see fast mentioned quite a bit in these threads. Admittedly I'm old (and cranky, but that's beside the pint), but what is the infatuation with fast. If it runs 80 down the interstate is that not enough. I hope this isn't coming off sounding condescending or anything like that because I am seriously curious, ifyou do have a fast car, when and where do you take advantage of that? Do you accrue numerous speeding tickets?
[/quote]

Haven't you seen the commercials?
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R-rtWPyJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R-rtWPyJY[/url]

[quote name='jreed' timestamp='1382359147' post='8033539']
Looking at possibly trading in my 09 GMC Acadia that Ive had a lot of trouble with. What do you have and how do you like it. In particular I am looking at the Chvy Traverse (they say the issues have been worked out), Toyota Highlander, and Dodge Durango. Requirements are 3 row seats and AWD.
[/quote]i JUST TURNED OVER 200,000 IN MY 2002 DURAGNO

G25 10.5,15,16.5,17
Diablo Edge 3-pw
Oddeysey White Ice #6
Every kind of wedge there is

We have a 2012 Dodge Journey and my wife loves it. I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and I absolutely love that thing. Biggest issue with the Dodge is we bought it brand new and it only has 34,000 miles and the tires are as bald as racing slicks. Getting them replaced this weekend.

XR 16 9.5 Fubuki ZT
XR 16 15* PX 6.0
XHot Pro 3 hy PX 6.0
Callaway 09 X Forged 3i, 5-pw - PX 6.0
Callaway MD3 52*, 56*, 60* KBS Tour
Odyssey Vera B/W/B #7,
Ball -TM TP5X

[/quote]

Power allows you to get away from the idiots... faster. Need to pass someone (usually a prius or insight) parked in the passing lane? Much easier to do when you have 200+ more hp/tq on tap. You're already beside them in the middle lane by the time they realize it when try speeding up to block you out... and you're around them in a safe window instead of a closing one.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

[quote name='itchyfinger' timestamp='1386266764' post='8253203']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R-rtWPyJY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3R-rtWPyJY[/url]
[/quote][quote name='itchyfinger' timestamp='1386266764' post='8253203']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha. Well done.

I have a Nissan Xterra ('06) that I am determined to drive until it dies. I have kept it maintained, and she's at 184k miles. The suspension is SO crappy on these SUVs!

To the Cherokee bunch (which is where I plan on going next) - I hear that the hatch space is very limited. Is this true at all? The Xterra, when the back seats are dropped, has a surprising amount of cargo space. Is the Cherokee spacious when the seats are dropped?

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1386179121' post='8247785']
[quote name='padget' timestamp='1386021962' post='8238644']
[/quote]It comes down to what you're looking for OUT of your SUV/CUV. Subaru is a tough company to beat right now for quality, safetly and longevety. Subaru Crosstrek or Forester. You haven't met a stupid fast SUV until you've been in that Cherokee SRT8. (Or a Forester XT... which is a turbo 4).

--kC
[/quote]

My wife just bought a Crosstrek and she loves it. It's our first Subaru and I am very impressed with the car and company well built.

I have an 09 Lexus rx350 for long trips it's great but for popping around town, I prefer the Subaru.

Putter? Whatever Works

Loaded up 2013 Infiniti FX37. Man it is a blast to drive in the snow, plenty of room for golf trips and handles like a champ. I had a GX35 sedan for almost 7 years and have definitely been very pleased with Infinitis

[attachment=1975333:2013-02-04 17.10.41-1 (2)-2.jpg]

Love the 360* camera too, awesome feature

[attachment=1975335:2013-02-04 17.07.13 (2)-2.jpg]

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I just bought my wife a Porsche Cayenne GTS- an absolutely awesome car. Roomy, fast as s***, handles like a dream and is as comfortable as my S 500. I almost wish I bought myself one as well.

It replaced a GL450 which was loud, underpowered and drove like a truck. It needed the air struts replaced at 80,000 mi in the front and 120,000 the rears. The rack on the power steering was also going off at 120,000. Not very Mercedes like, but what do you expect, it ain't 100% German- assembled in the USA by union schmucks.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='jurr80' timestamp='1386371489' post='8260363']
I have a Nissan Xterra ('06) that I am determined to drive until it dies. I have kept it maintained, and she's at 184k miles. The suspension is SO crappy on these SUVs!

To the Cherokee bunch (which is where I plan on going next) - I hear that the hatch space is very limited. Is this true at all? The Xterra, when the back seats are dropped, has a surprising amount of cargo space. Is the Cherokee spacious when the seats are dropped?
[/quote]

Jeep has plenty of cargo space when the seats are dropped, at least enough for me :)

If you need a 3rd row option and/or better than average cargo space, and good value in terms of price, resale, and maintenance, the most recent generation Honda Pilot is a great choice IMO. IIRC it takes 87 octane too. The Honda/Acura navigation takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's a decent solid system. I don't actually have one but it was a close 2nd choice. We ended up with an MDX only because it was for my wife and she preferred the way the MDX drove, more refined and car-like vs the more truck-feeling Pilot. I like the MDX but really wish it had the 3rd row space and fuel efficiency of the Pilot.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I had a 2008 Trailblazer and love it. But when its time to trade the old Silver Bullet in, the only other thing I'm really considering is a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline. I've always been a fan of these two for whatever reason.

I prefer the mid-sized SUV. My younger brother had (just got hit by a semi on icy roads up by STL this past weekend) an Equinox and the one thing that bugged me about it is that my golf clubs couldn't lay straight across the back and you had to lay the back seat down to put more than one set in there.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1386795074' post='8284771']
I had a 2008 Trailblazer and love it. But when its time to trade the old Silver Bullet in, the only other thing I'm really considering is a Honda Pilot or Ridgeline. I've always been a fan of these two for whatever reason.

I prefer the mid-sized SUV. My younger brother had (just got hit by a semi on icy roads up by STL this past weekend) an Equinox and the one thing that bugged me about it is that my golf clubs couldn't lay straight across the back and you had to lay the back seat down to put more than one set in there.
[/quote]
LOL am I the only one that brought their clubs to the dealership to test out the trunk capacity and how easy it is to get clubs in and out?

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash