2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha

[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1385088209' post='8187574']
[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1385085552' post='8187266']
[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1385085421' post='8187248']
[quote name='atlambert2' timestamp='1385082857' post='8186986']
[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1385067588' post='8185424']
I think this depends on whether it is a design or utility patent to some extent. Obviously the design would be protected under a design patent but the functionality could be re-engineered under a different design without fear of infringement if I am correct. I do not think the concept of movable weights in golf clubs is protected by any utility patent or there would not be so many companies that have them... so that would lead me to believe the patent Callaway has is design patent and the concept of using a movable weight to raise or lower cg could be re-engineered under a different design.

A lot of conjecture above of course :P
[/quote]

Hahah of course you will be sued, but no major OEM would reverse engineer without making changes first to avoid that. Also I was looking at all Cally's patents today, and it is a utility patent (
[center][b]US PAT 8579724)[/b][/center]
. I also got the sense in combing through a bunch of club patents that with some minor tweaks after they reverse engineer it, another OEM could have be granted their own patent by differentiating their claims in a minor way. That was just the sense I got in 30 mins of browsing patents, and again, grain of salt. ORazor would know better than I.
[/quote]

And you received your law degree from where? In any case it is debatable if you would be sued under the scenario I presented. Also the [b]US PAT 8579724[/b] has nothing to do with the BB Alpha design so it's really irrelevant.

But since you brought up that design what we are seeing there is more likely something coming in the next year or two but not now. It will be interesting to see how exactly they implement such a concept.
[/quote]

Alpha will be here by feb.
[/quote]

Yep Alpha will be here by mid Feb, but that patent that is circling around in this thread "[b]US PAT 8579724" [/b]is not the Alpha.... I did hear a rumor as to what it might be but it's pretty premature to talk about it even really. The alpha's design though is nothing like that.
[/quote]

The alpha is the adjustable COG with weight port to adjust in the center of sole...

New Bag in the making...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1385088822' post='8187640']
Last time looked the SLDR had no adjustability for that low and forward cog!
Now Cally will have that in their alpha. That is not not only functionality but adjjustability.
Win for Cally!
TM chasen tail now ;)
[/quote]

Lowest and farthest forward in history. Don't need to adjust, when all you have to do is loft up. ;)

Gonna be a fun year regardless of company.

New Bag in the making...

Now Cally will have that in their alpha. That is not not only functionality but adjjustability.
Win for Cally!
TM chasen tail now ;)
[/quote]

So, BB, you've seen and hit it, or you're just spouting off based on what some stranger told you on here? (For the record, I've hit it, and loved it, and told trustworthy members about it. Just wonder if you've got any actual info, or are trolling just to troll.)

I seem to remember you having comments about the R1 being "one loft." What are your thoughts on this, and X2Hot Pro, being "one loft?" I think I know the answer, as you're very consistent in who you pat on the back, but please enlighten us.

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1385090085' post='8187796']
Win for Cally!
TM chasen tail now ;)
[/quote]

Lowest and farthest forward in history. Don't need to adjust, when all you have to do is loft up. ;)

Gonna be a fun year regardless of company.
[/quote]

Remember, if you don't have it, you don't have it...now where did I hear that TM? ;)
And TM don't have it...there's only one with adustable COG folks!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

[quote name='callawayforelife' timestamp='1385093178' post='8188146']
[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1385092617' post='8188100']
According to Harry on twitter it's a 12/2 release. Surprised its that early with no pics circulating yet.
[/quote]
I think they will unveil it on 12/2.
[/quote]
I think this is correct. We'll get all the details on 12/2, but I don't think it will be in stores then. As stated earlier in the thread, I'm guessing a Jan/Feb release for these Bertha drivers.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1385085918' post='8187308']
Hey TaylormadeLuv, Callaway showed low and forward works in the Xhot fairway woods with the standing wave tech in the head, specifically the 3 deep, ya know that club he won The Open Championship with.

Oh and BTW the new stick coming out from Callaway will create lower spin, more ball speed, and has higher MOI then the SLDR. Physics at work and even TM can't get around them ;-) Enjoy
[/quote]
You are not necessarily correct in your last statement in total and much less in actual application. You have made almost 100 of the first 400 posts here. Much of this Hype has been produced by 4 or 5 different posters.
We understand that there is a lot of internal excitement about the promise of this club. But it will only work (hopefully?) for those whose game it fits. If it were the "end-all" club, Callaway would not have 5 or 6 drivers for 2014, there would be one!
The true test will come from hitting it and if it is all that is imagined (at least for the better players then we will see it in the bags of Tour players all over the world who don't have other driver contracts instead of the TMs that dominate now.
Then all those crowing now can then have something real to speak of. But until then all of this is random conjecture.
By the way the competition (not just TM) has already seen and tested these to some extent. It is very hard to keep absolute secrets in Carlsbad.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Here is a random thought: If half of what people think is going to happen this coming year, will TM and Callaway be the only companies to sell new drivers this coming year?? Titleist's '13 series woods were really almost two years old when they debuted earlier. How are they going to be by 2015? Can they afford to wait? Maybe they should consider "upping" their game!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Tried both of the Big bertha drivers. Absolutely awesome. Most of the speculation is true. One driver slightly bigger in head size with sliding weight. And the top driver that is designed with mickleson in mind has the COG adjustability. All topped of with a nice white shaft that mickleson enjoys. Fubuki. Wish I could post pictures but I would get in serious trouble. Hope this helps to clear up some of the crap on here.

[quote name='MCoz' timestamp='1385110682' post='8188848']
Hey TaylormadeLuv, Callaway showed low and forward works in the Xhot fairway woods with the standing wave tech in the head, specifically the 3 deep, ya know that club he won The Open Championship with.

Oh and BTW the new stick coming out from Callaway will create lower spin, more ball speed, and has higher MOI then the SLDR. Physics at work and even TM can't get around them ;-) Enjoy
[/quote]
You are not necessarily correct in your last statement in total and much less in actual application. You have made almost 100 of the first 400 posts here. Much of this Hype has been produced by 4 or 5 different posters.
We understand that there is a lot of internal excitement about the promise of this club. But it will only work (hopefully?) for those whose game it fits. If it were the "end-all" club, Callaway would not have 5 or 6 drivers for 2014, there would be one!
The true test will come from hitting it and if it is all that is imagined (at least for the better players then we will see it in the bags of Tour players all over the world who don't have other driver contracts instead of the TMs that dominate now.
Then all those crowing now can then have something real to speak of. But until then all of this is random conjecture.
By the way the competition (not just TM) has already seen and tested these to some extent. It is very hard to keep absolute secrets in Carlsbad.
[/quote]

C'mon Man! You're gonna suck the fun out of this! :D

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='herox1' timestamp='1385113898' post='8188900']
Tried both of the Big bertha drivers. Absolutely awesome. Most of the speculation is true. One driver slightly bigger in head size with sliding weight. And the top driver that is designed with mickleson in mind has the COG adjustability. All topped of with a nice white shaft that mickleson enjoys. Fubuki. Wish I could post pictures but I would get in serious trouble. Hope this helps to clear up some of the crap on here.
[/quote]

I thought both drivers are going to be 460cc ?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1385123249' post='8189064']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I do not believe so. Thinking the Alpha is 430 and big Bertha is 460

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[/quote]
[/quote]

Exactly... if people here don't think TMAG has seen the driver when 100 people in this thread have mentioned seeing it they are kidding themselves. And if people think that Callaway is going to release "the ultimate driver so good you will never need to buy another ever" well that'd be like Ford releasing a 100 mpg car that makes supermodels want to jump in and go to fast food places with you.

It's good the driver has an innovative feature that nobody else has but that doesn't mean it's actually helpful. The fact people take something Phil the Shill say with anything more than when they listen to a Nascar Driver thank his Pennzoil cheerios nutrigrain oreo dodge they are yet again being silly :) I remember the C4 being incredibly different than everything out too :)

Tour guys get all the hotmelt adjustment they need so I don't see how moving COG around with a wrench is ultimately much different than when a talented tour van guy moves some goo around inside a head.

But time will tell and if it's better I'll buy one. I'm partial to the rounder toe Callaway drivers have anyway. I've got 2 rounds in with my SLDR/Kiyoshi Purple combo anyway it's getting time to look elsewhere :)

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

[quote name='deck' timestamp='1385123392' post='8189074']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I do not believe so. Thinking the Alpha is 430 and big Bertha is 460
[/quote]

I hope that is true!

Soun[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1385122475' post='8189042']

[/quote]
[/quote]

C'mon Man! You're gonna suck the fun out of this! :D
[/quote]

Sounds like Callaway must have something pretty special coming, doesn't it? Can't wait for the unveiling. Would love to hear more info from Harry or hash tag Chad.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[/quote]

[/quote]

They are both 460. Alpha is just deeper face

[quote name='irwinfletcher77' timestamp='1385127284' post='8189268']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They are both 460. Alpha is just deeper face
[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying this!

Please tell me these new drivers are NOT made of composite material, at least make one of them out of good ol fashioned titanium.... Please!

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

MCoz you think others have tested this driver?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I really don't understand why no leaked pictures from Callaway in terms of marketing and sales. Why wouldn't they want this to go viral and to the masses. Everyday that this doesn't get to the masses is more sales for Taylor Made SLDR. Why wait after black Friday for the unveiling? How many moms, dads and wives will be buying TM SLDR woods thanksgiving weekend because kids or husbands will want one for Christmas because they don't know about the new Big Bertha. I have already been asked 3 times by friends wives what driver is the one their husbands want for Christmas. I think this is a big fail for Callaway marketing and sales. They have shown it to buyers and some even have tested them and have pictures. People on this forum will wait for it to come out and try it before making a decision on which driver they will buy, but the masses will be buying TM SLDR and Jetspeed woods everyday unitl Callaway comes out with the Big Bertha already late for Christmas.

[quote name='JCA' timestamp='1385130241' post='8189522']
I really don't understand why no leaked pictures from Callaway in terms of marketing and sales. Why wouldn't they want this to go viral and to the masses. Everyday that this doesn't get to the masses is more sales for Taylor Made SLDR. Why wait after black Friday for the unveiling? How many moms, dads and wives will be buying TM SLDR woods thanksgiving weekend because kids or husbands will want one for Christmas because they don't know about the new Big Bertha. I have already been asked 3 times by friends wives what driver is the one their husbands want for Christmas. I think this is a big fail for Callaway marketing and sales. They have shown it to buyers and some even have tested them and have pictures. People on this forum will wait for it to come out and try it before making a decision on which driver they will buy, but the masses will be buying TM SLDR and Jetspeed woods everyday unitl Callaway comes out with the Big Bertha already late for Christmas.
[/quote]
I like the way you think. And it's all true. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='JCA' timestamp='1385130241' post='8189522']
[/quote]

You got a point.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nothing I said is untrue in fact I"m the only person in this conversation that is giving it to people straight. Your last statement about TM testing this driver is complete nonsense and I know that for a fact. NO ONE in any company has this driver. I have my facts straight, do you?

Edel PROTO

[/quote]
[/quote]

While I can agree with most of your post, a big reason TM dominates in driver count (among those w/o contracts) is because they also happen to pay the most tee up money, right? If I weren't under contract I'd be looking for some sort of guarantee $$ that week to maybe cover a few expenses. One company offers me $1,500 and another offers $500 (or nothing) it's a pretty quick decision what driver I'm going to put in play.

Do I think this driver will be an "end-all" as you put it? Nope, not even close. I think it will be a great fit for, honestly, a smaller section of golfing industry, but I think it will fit them very well. I don't think there's been a driver that fits 'everyone' and I don't think we'll ever see it. People are just too different.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1385136122' post='8190030']

[/quote]
[/quote]

While I can agree with most of your post, a big reason TM dominates in driver count (among those w/o contracts) is because they also happen to pay the most tee up money, right? If I weren't under contract I'd be looking for some sort of guarantee $$ that week to maybe cover a few expenses. One company offers me $1,500 and another offers $500 (or nothing) it's a pretty quick decision what driver I'm going to put in play.

Do I think this driver will be an "end-all" as you put it? Nope, not even close. I think it will be a great fit for, honestly, a smaller section of golfing industry, but I think it will fit them very well. I don't think there's been a driver that fits 'everyone' and I don't think we'll ever see it. People are just too different.
[/quote]

Funny thing is who ever said this was the end all be all and a one size fits all? I know I've said plenty of times there are different product lines for different needs. The driver in question is going to be for the player who wants the utmost control on spin. Again this driver is special because it's a first and people are excited. I'm pulling my hair out just trying to help people have a clear picture of what to expect. So much misinformation from interesting sources.

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1385134472' post='8189898']

[/quote]
[/quote]

Nothing I said is untrue in fact I"m the only person in this conversation that is giving it to people straight. Your last statement about TM testing this driver is complete nonsense and I know that for a fact. NO ONE in any company has this driver. I have my facts straight, do you?
[/quote]

Only one giving it straight? Holy cow. At least we know what your purchase price is. A trip to Vegas.