2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Duct tape as grip tape for blowing on grips.

miket_81

I have been blowing on and off grips for years now and came across something I've never seen before the other day.

I got a like new set of irons in and was going to try to save the grips as they were like new (NDMC's) before I put on new ones.

To my surprise the grip came right off on the first puff meaning the previous owner blew them on and the tape used was Duct tape. It seemed to work really well.

Is there any negatives to using duct tape other that being a PITA when removing the tape? I plan on just leaving on them if not as the grip seems to "grip" it really well.

I didn't know if it would be much different from the masking tape I typically use or if it would be squishier or something.

Thanks for the help.

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing with duct tape or gorilla tape is if you plan to sell the irons at any point, let the buyer know what they're getting under the grips. Some guys are really picky about it. I've never used anything other than Scotch blue painters tape for blowing grips on, but I personally would have no issues using duct/gorilla tape

PING G410 LST 9* (Weight neutral) - HZRDUS Black 6.5 
PING G410 14.5* LST - Tensei Pro Orange TX 70
PING Blueprint 3-Pw - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING Glide Forged (Ping Man stamps) - 50º/54º/58º - KBS Tour S+ - Cushin
PING PLD Anser "Honey Badger"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1390522713' post='8519727']
Wouldn't it be slightly oversized? Duct tape is thicker than painters tape.
[/quote]Yes, very much so. I use oversized grips plus gorilla tape if I can get them on like that. The last batch of grips wouldn't work with tape so I used nothing. I never sell my golf clubs. My house is the end of the line for used golf clubs, a veritable graveyard. When I get through with them nobody else can use them anyway. However, I do reuse my grips over and over and over with extreme ease.

That's a really good idea with the duct tape... It would beat putting multiple wraps of masking tape. To be honest my putter grips and club grips move with masking tape.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I'm thinking about going back to the good old fashioned method of double sided grip tape

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I wouldn't use duct tape. It's too soft and spongy. May allow slippage, particularly as it ages. Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm not a fan of blowing on grips regardless.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

For what its worth, I've blown on a whole bunch of grips and havnt had any throuble with groups slipping. I also use any sort of painters/masking tape. I guess it really depends what you are comfortable. Similar to duct tape, you could use some clear hockey tape.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Now that I've started blowing grips on I don't see myself ever not doing it.
For one once you start doing it changing them is a breeze. No cutting off grips or anything. Just blow the old one off and the new one on.
The main reason I do it is that I use somewhat expensive grips like Iomic and such and they last a long long time usually longer than I have sets of irons.. This is really beneficial for putter grips like super strokes that can get really expensive. If you like to experiment and have several putters like me you can get a few different models and see what you like on which putter and if later on you think it is a pinch off from square you just pop a little air in it twist and done.

I have always used painters or masking tape and never had an issue but I think for the fun of it I am going to leave the duct tape on these and see how it works out.

Go to attached link for $20 off your first order at ShortPar4.com
http://shortpar4.refr.cc/6DC52RQ

[quote name='miket_81' timestamp='1390604553' post='8526025']
Now that I've started blowing grips on I don't see myself ever not doing it.
For one once you start doing it changing them is a breeze. No cutting off grips or anything. Just blow the old one off and the new one on.
The main reason I do it is that I use somewhat expensive grips like Iomic and such and they last a long long time usually longer than I have sets of irons.. This is really beneficial for putter grips like super strokes that can get really expensive. If you like to experiment and have several putters like me you can get a few different models and see what you like on which putter and if later on you think it is a pinch off from square you just pop a little air in it twist and done.

I have always used painters or masking tape and never had an issue but I think for the fun of it I am going to leave the duct tape on these and see how it works out.
[/quote]

Duct tape works great. I've gone through a couple of sets of grips on some irons and just leave the same tape on. Grabby and nice.

Watch out for Gorilla tape. Sticks great, but that stuff is really thick and heavy. You will lose a swing weight point with the added grip end weight.

I had some clubs that the original club builder used duct tape.

[b][u]IT IS A PAIN IN THE YOU KNOW WHAT TO CLEAN UP[/u][/b], if you ever want to remove it.

The adhesive gets gooey and sticky as all heck. Mine were 10+ years with the duct tape under it. There was adhesive oozing out.

The tape is also heavier, and has stuff that you flat out don't need in it. [b]Just don't do it.[/b]

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

the only set i blew on were winn dxi's. i used a few wraps of blue painters tape and the grips were slipping quite a bit. i loved the ease of installation and being able to save them if selling the clubs but i have since just used double sided tape and solvent. maybe i will try duct tape on my next regrip, but i will put a wrap or 2 of masking or painting tape under the duct so i dont have the clean up hassle

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

I am going to be rebuilding my irons as soon as USPS delivers my stuff that was 2 day shipping that should have been delivered on the 23rd. I am going to try the duct tape thing. Does it grab significantly better that masking tape? I have never used blue tape, but I have used masking tape and the grips have moved.

I'd be interested in how much thicker duct/Gorilla tape is, and how much it changes swingweight. I would agree that it sounds like it could make a gooey mess. The blue painters tape has been working for me for all of my ho'ing needs!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I put a layer of masking tape then a layer of duct tape under my wedges. Easy clean up and they're the perfect size now.

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've been working with air for grip removal for about 15 years and the best thing by far is 3M Green Masking (Painters) tape.

The Green 3M tape will withstand high temperatures so using a heat gun on it to soften the bond won't create a mess, but by the same token you shouldn't need to use heat anyway this tape will remove cleanly after years and years of use. (At least 5 or more)

I understand builders wanting to use cloth tape because it is easy to build up a grip however when it gets hot the adhesive loosens up and then the grip can twist.

Cleaning up after cloth tape is a real mess too unless it is after it has been freshly applied, it will leave a horrible sticky adhesive residue on the shaft which is a real PITA to clean off.

I'm not a fan of solvent and double sided tape either, slow messy and takes a long time to be playable.

I've removed some grips that have been on for a long time where the solvent isn't dry and it is a real mess to clean up too.

3M Green Masking Tape is the KING of tape for build up and world great with Air application and using Bostik glue.

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1390672162' post='8530077']
[quote name='HISPL' timestamp='1390658772' post='8529037']

3M Green Masking Tape is the KING of tape for build up and world great with Air application and using Bostik glue.
[/quote]

Bostik glue? Do you blow over glue?
[/quote]

No, you can slide the grip on without air just using glue 99.99% of the time.

Sometimes if you want to fit a Gripmaster leather grip on a shaft with a large butt diameter and a couple of layers of tape then you might use a little to help it slide on.
So for example a .630 diameter shaft with two layers of buildup tape and a Gripmaster oversize can require this approach sometimes.

Go to YouTube and search for Gripmaster and Bostik there is a video on how to do it.

I do a few thousand grips a year using this method and you can get grips done really quickly this way.

What I like best about using Bostik is that it doesn't move/slip, you can play it in about 5 minutes after fittings the grip and it will allow for any removal method (air, solvent and syringe or removal tool and obviously knife too)
Also using masking/painters tape makes for MUCH easier tape removal than double sided tape, it takes about half the time using the masking tape.

[quote name='prestiege' timestamp='1390608356' post='8526367']
the only set i blew on were winn dxi's. i used a few wraps of blue painters tape and the grips were slipping quite a bit. i loved the ease of installation and being able to save them if selling the clubs but i have since just used double sided tape and solvent. maybe i will try duct tape on my next regrip, but i will put a wrap or 2 of masking or painting tape under the duct so i dont have the clean up hassle
[/quote]

I just swapped grips today on my wedges for the first time with air, much better. Mind you the first grip I ever changed was last night when I cut down my driver(I'm in full on tinker and learn mode right now) and I did it the hard way lol. I used double sided grip tape and solvent + air today on my lunch break at work, didn't know I wasn't supposed to use both. Nonetheless it did work though and grips are nice and snug now :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• 1 month later...

I found this thread doing a quick search and am a bit surprised about the duct tape.

I just pulled a set of Tommy Armour 845s (1i - SW) out of storage that I haven't touched since probably 1994. Still had the original Golf Pride Tour Wraps with "Tommy Armour" in script around the lower part of the grip.

I got them out because I wanted to use the shafts (X100s) in a rebuild of my Ping S56s. Pulled the grip on the 1i just to check what shaft it was. It had the DG shaft band, but was too beat up to read the flex. I thought they were X100s or X300s. I had three sets of these during college, and wasn't sure which shafts these would have in them.

To my shocking surprise, after I cut the grip, there was a layer of double sided tape over a layer of duct tape, which was over another layer of tape (not sure if it was single or double sided). These clubs haven't been used for almost 20 years, so the tape isn't coming off easily, but I wondered if anybody was using duct tape under their grips.

I use compressed air to blow on my grips, and may give the duct tape a try. I normally build up a couple of wraps anyways, and always use air to blow my grips on now (for about the last two years).

Good to know this twenty year old practice is still in use.

Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷  9.0*; Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 TX

TM Stealth+ 15*; Fujikura Ventus Black 7x 
Ping G425 19*; Aldila Rogue Black 95 TX
Srixon ZX7; OBAN CT 125 x
Callaway Jaws, raw - 50/12W; DG X100 TI black 
Vokey SM9, raw - 55/12; DG S400  TI black
Vokey SM9, raw - 60/08; DG S400 TI black
SC Phantom 5.5

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1390528528' post='8520285']
I wouldn't use duct tape. It's too soft and spongy. May allow slippage, particularly as it ages. Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm not a fan of blowing on grips regardless.
[/quote]I'm with you...masking tape to build 'em up and double sided to hold hold them on.

I just pulled all my grips to counterweight. Some patches of the gorilla tape adhesive did remain on the shafts that had the tape on for more than six months, those with less time than that came off clean. A little WD-40 took care of that problem in less than a minute. Way easier than removing double sided tape and I reused all my grips but four and the only reason I didn't reuse the four was because I worked 4 new grips into the rotation. The weave and structure of most duct tape is way weaker and the adhesive delaminates much easier. I'm telling you, if it's between duct tape and gorilla tape go with the gorilla.