2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf dreams, (while sleeping). Not day dreams.

deetsal

Last few years I tend to have all my golf dreams where I can't get off the tee because I can not swing. There's something in my way, like a wall or building. I can't take a back swing. It is very frustrating, I guess that's golf in a nutshell. I guess for fun we can do psychoanalysis on one another as long as it doesn't always come up as "psycho killer". ? My dad always dreamed he could not get to the first tee, he would never get to hit that first shot. When I do get to play in a( normal) round it always becomes something weird like playing in a subway tunnel or on a space ship. Or the clubs or ball becomes something weird I like an orange being hit with a guitar.

This should be interesting.

Oh man, the golf dream. Always something blocking my swing, or something directly in front of the tee (who parked their &$;! bulldozer there?).

Last night I dreamt that I went back to college for a visit and was told I was playing for them this season. Scared to death knowing I haven't played more than 10 rounds a year for about 5 years. My coach was sorely disappointed in my practice habits yet still put me in at #1. Of course I tee it up, and can't swing because the first tee is also a bicycle rack.

I have very similar dreams. For me though I usually can't find the first tee but am always familiar with the golf course. Like someone moved the first tee on me. Sometimes I am on the first tee with absolutely no idea where my clubs are.

Almost always happens before a tournament round or any other round I'm excited about.

There was the same thread on here last year... I have the same two dreams. Either something in my way where I can't take the club back, or suddenly I'm in a hallway and there's not enough room to swing. lol.

What's funny is that my wife and I went on vacation this year. Get up to the first tee, and some yahoo put the tee markers ALL the way back, like a club length away from the back edge of the tee box, and there was a big pine tree extending over the back of the box. Yep, couldn't take the driver back without hitting the tree.

My wife says "Isn't this like that dream you always have?" If I hadn't been with her the whole time, I would have thought that she was trying to pull a fast one on me!

I moved the damn markers to somewhere reasonable!

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1442803164' post='12342146']
There was the same thread on here last year... I have the same two dreams. Either something in my way where I can't take the club back, or suddenly I'm in a hallway and there's not enough room to swing. lol.

What's funny is that my wife and I went on vacation this year. Get up to the first tee, and some yahoo put the tee markers ALL the way back, like a club length away from the back edge of the tee box, and there was a big pine tree extending over the back of the box. Yep, couldn't take the driver back without hitting the tree.

My wife says "Isn't this like that dream you always have?" If I hadn't been with her the whole time, I would have thought that she was trying to pull a fast one on me!

[/quote]

There you go being a d1ck again....you need to just get a job as a course ranger... lol

[quote name='mtsmith' timestamp='1442803st='12342166']
[size=4][quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1442803164' post='12342146'][/size]

[/quote]

There you go being a d1ck again....you need to just get a job as a course ranger... lol
[/quote]The hallway, I think I havedreamed much the same, as I read these they seem to ring a bell. Weird, some psychologist is going to have a field day here. We all need help.

Can't get the ball to stay on the tee. If I do manage it there is never enough room to swing. I wonder why I never have heroic golf dreams? You know- winnin the Masters etc. Every golf dream is very frustrating.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Not sure how serious you are, but somewhat serious reply:

My understanding is your body is somewhat paralyzed while you're dreaming, an evolutionary trait to keep you from hurting yourself while you're asleep. The same reason why when you dream about being chased you feel like you can't run, or you're trying to run in thick goo. In the dream you're talking about, your body is probably actually trying to swing the club, but you're not able to actually move very much, so you feel like something's holding your arms from moving.

• Like 1

Me too, same dream of having the tee in some place where there's no space to play.[quote name='BKN1964' timestamp='1442851552' post='12344542']
Not sure how serious you are, but somewhat serious reply:

My understanding is your body is somewhat paralyzed while you're dreaming, an evolutionary trait to keep you from hurting yourself while you're asleep. The same reason why when you dream about being chased you feel like you can't run, or you're trying to run in thick goo. In the dream you're talking about, your body is probably actually trying to swing the club, but you're not able to actually move very much, so you feel like something's holding your arms from moving.
[/quote]
Well, that's as good an explanation as any.

[quote name='BKN1964' timestamp='1442851552' post='12344542']
[/quote]

I can agree with this. This isn't a golf dream but a few months ago I fell asleep watching Jurassic Park on TV and suddenly I was wrestling a velociraptor. I got it in a good head lock and kneed that sob right in the face. It felt like a solid strike (golf pun for story relevance) in my dream. I woke up right after only due to my girlfriend yelling because I had just kneed her in the a**. I said, "sorry I was wrestling a velociraptor, go back to sleep." So basically if you move in your dream, you move in real life apparently.

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

I have 2 golf specific ones. The tee box is too small and something is always in my backswing. And the other one is being late to my tee time. I get there 2 holes behind and don't have my clubs! Then I'm pissed I can't golf that day.

It would be interesting to find out the meanings of these dreams since it seems to be common.

I also dream that I am hitting or chipping to a table or stove and I can't figure out how I am going to stop the ball. or I have to hit down a hall, no room to swing, no room to play my butter cut, stupid stuff but we seemed to be wired very much alike. The ' no room to swing" dream seems to be "normal".

Even the best in the world are members of this club.

[size=4]Tom Watson: [i]"I[color=#282828]'ve had nightmares about golf. Who hasn't? I have two bad, recurring dreams. In one, I'm putting on a green that is cone-shaped, and the hole is at the top of the cone, so the ball either rolls back to my feet or goes past the crest and 30 feet away on the other side. In the other dream, I'm boxed in and don't have room to swing. Something vague is crowding me—the gallery maybe, or ropes, or something I can't pinpoint."[/color][/i][/size]

[color=#282828]BTW - I spent 30 years in law enforcement. That has a completely different set of recurring dreams that most LEO's share. More at stake than not being able to make a swing though. Apparently each profession is similar with people having dreams specific to that profession. That little tidbit of psychoanalysis was free of charge. You're welcome.[/color]

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Had a spat of bad golf dreams 4 or 5 years ago. Mom had dementia, so I spent weekends driving out of town and the rest of the weekend was spent playing catch-up. Dreams generally consisted of my bag disappearing when my tee time came up, or hitting beautifully at the range then the bag disappears before the round. Whatever the dream scenario, I never made it to the 1st tee.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

[quote name='deetsal' timestamp='1442754142' post='12338510']
Last few years I tend to have all my golf dreams where I can't get off the tee because I can not swing. There's something in my way, like a wall or building. I can't take a back swing. It is very frustrating, I guess that's golf in a nutshell. I guess for fun we can do psychoanalysis on one another as long as it doesn't always come up as "psycho killer". ? My dad always dreamed he could not get to the first tee, he would never get to hit that first shot. When I do get to play in a( normal) round it always becomes something weird like playing in a subway tunnel or on a space ship.
[/quote]

First it's the awful sitcoms, McDonalds and Coke but now you people are controlling my dreams. Anyone got Fox Mulders cell?

[quote name='AMH58' timestamp='1442849116' post='12344264']
Last night actually, I had a dream where I was in a post-apocolyptic wasteland and the only way I could get food was to play at even par. Every tee box was blocked to where I couldn't take a backswing. I wasn't a fan.
[/quote]

Yeah, but I bet the pace of play was awesome!

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1442967457' post='12353030']

Tom Watson: [i]"I[color=#282828]'ve had nightmares about golf. Who hasn't? I have two bad, recurring dreams. In one, I'm putting on a green that is cone-shaped, and the hole is at the top of the cone, so the ball either rolls back to my feet or goes past the crest and 30 feet away on the other side. In the other dream, I'm boxed in and don't have room to swing. Something vague is crowding me—the gallery maybe, or ropes, or something I can't pinpoint."[/color][/i]

[color=#282828]BTW - I spent 30 years in law enforcement. That has a completely different set of recurring dreams that most LEO's share. More at stake than not being able to make a swing though. Apparently each profession is similar with people having dreams specific to that profession. That little tidbit of psychoanalysis was free of charge. You're welcome.[/color]
[/quote]

Being attacked and either your trigger can't be pulled, or your rounds are bouncing off the attacker?

[quote name='Edaw68' timestamp='1443021218' post='12355844']

Being attacked and either your trigger can't be pulled, or your rounds are bouncing off the attacker?
[/quote]

Yup. And gun falls apart in my hands, have to do a contact shot to hit someone - never is effective. For a long time I thought it was just me until several of my buddies said they had the same experience.

One of these days I'm actually going to hit a super drive in a dream. Hasn't happened yet.

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='Edaw68' timestamp='1443021218' post='12355844']
[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1442967457' post='12353030']

Tom Watson: [i]"I[color=#282828]'ve had nightmares about golf. Who hasn't? I have two bad, recurring dreams. In one, I'm putting on a green that is cone-shaped, and the hole is at the top of the cone, so the ball either rolls back to my feet or goes past the crest and 30 feet away on the other side. In the other dream, I'm boxed in and don't have room to swing. Something vague is crowding me—the gallery maybe, or ropes, or something I can't pinpoint."[/color][/i]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or you pull the trigger and the round just falls out of the end of the barrel.

I did a thread about this a while ago but I think it's too old to find in search.....

Basically - this happens with pretty much everyone. For me - I go to tee it up, and the ground is like drastically not level. So I move to another spot that seems level and then there's a big tree branch in my backswing. There's a hundred variations but something is almost ALWAYS in the way. I almost never even get off the tee because I can't get a clear swing. The very few times I have, it feels disjointed and weird and I can barely hang on to the club and I make horrible contact.

I subscribe to the 'Matrix' theory here - when your dream your brain is basically generating a fake reality for you like a computer running a game. When you run into something you don't really KNOW how to do, it glitches out.

The implication is that almost no one (Tom Watson included) really truly knows how to hit a golf ball deep down at a subconscious level. This also (for most people) explains why trying to shoot someone gets all messed up. Some guy in my old thread said this happened with skiing - he loved to go skiing but when he dreamt about it, he'd just sit there on the snow not moving. Your brain just doesn't have the right source code to run the simulation and make it feel real.

Pretty much the same here. Cant find the right club in my bag, that's if I didn't leave my clubs way back at the last green. Every once in a while I play a few holes but don't ever really remember hitting the ball. I've gotten lost trying to get to the next tee which carries a feeling with it not dissimilar to dreaming about being late for a high school exam.

[quote name='knockdstiff' timestamp='1443054636' post='12359270']

I subscribe to the 'Matrix' theory here - when your dream your brain is basically generating a fake reality for you like a computer running a game. When you run into something you don't really KNOW how to do, it glitches out.

The implication is that almost no one (Tom Watson included) really truly knows how to hit a golf ball deep down at a subconscious level. This also (for most people) explains why trying to shoot someone gets all messed up. Some guy in my old thread said this happened with skiing - he loved to go skiing but when he dreamt about it, he'd just sit there on the snow not moving. Your brain just doesn't have the right source code to run the simulation and make it feel real.
[/quote]

This is why you should never go too high in flying dreams, you don't have memories of looking at landscape from that point of view so it all just dries up.